Piano World Home Page
Posted By: Loves2TickleIvory Does a Korg T1 have value today - 09/28/20 09:41 PM
I have the chance to acquire a Korg T1 at a reasonable price, less then half of what they usually go for on ebay. I am looking for advice. Is there anything special about them to recommend in 2020? I would connect it as a Midi > DAW (Reaper - pc laptop) > Roland Keyboard Amp.

So I want a weighted 88 key electronic keyboard. I am somewhere in the middle to advanced beginner stage(mid life return to keyboard). I am slogging through learning the scales. I am working on sight reading. I want to make my own video scores, entertain myself etc. so nothing public etc.

Am I better off waiting and buying a Roland RD 800 or a Casio Previa S3000 or PX-5s, or a Yamaha S90, or something else?

Thank you

Currently have a Casio CTX-700 and a nightmare upright piano restoration(enormous number of potential adjustment...).
Posted By: newer player Re: Does a Korg T1 have value today - 09/28/20 10:01 PM
I would select one of the popular modern slabs if you want to practice classical or jazz music.
Posted By: Deltajockey Re: Does a Korg T1 have value today - 09/28/20 10:28 PM
I think the value in a T1 is for someone with a historic/emotional attachment as a collector. If you're buying for the weighted controller, you're buying a workstation with yesterdays sounds/technology, when you'll be using Reaper anyway, which is far in advance of the limited monochrome display of the T1.....and the keybed which probably has had a lot of use. So it seems a bit of a waste to buy it and only use it as an external controller. Though the T1 was amazing for it's day, (I lusted for one something terribly...but moved on), as was the M1, it is to me something to own now as a conversation piece smile

If I had bought one way back, I'd probably be keeping it for my historic attachment to it.

I think a current slab controller would be a better investment. You would have USB connection, rather than having to use a MIDI DIN usb dongle too.

Just my 2 cents worth smile
Apparently it's from 1989...1990.

And big and heavy.

It might have aftertouch(?)

Your use case sounds like wasting a "classic" instrument if you are only going to use it to output MIDI. Of course if you also play with the internal sounds, then fine.

Those days Korg collaborated with/was owned by Yamaha, so it possibly has a Yamaha action in it, either the "Action Effect" or "Action Effect II". The first one at least didn't even have hammers, but it's more or less piano like. And the keys have a faint click sound by design.

Some people like the T1: http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2632819/i-saw-a-korg-t1-tonight.html

I don't actually really know anything about it.
Posted By: Abdol Re: Does a Korg T1 have value today - 09/30/20 03:09 AM
Originally Posted by Loves2TickleIvory
I have the chance to acquire a Korg T1 at a reasonable price, less then half of what they usually go for on ebay. I am looking for advice. Is there anything special about them to recommend in 2020? I would connect it as a Midi > DAW (Reaper - pc laptop) > Roland Keyboard Amp.

So I want a weighted 88 key electronic keyboard. I am somewhere in the middle to advanced beginner stage(mid life return to keyboard). I am slogging through learning the scales. I am working on sight reading. I want to make my own video scores, entertain myself etc. so nothing public etc.

Am I better off waiting and buying a Roland RD 800 or a Casio Previa S3000 or PX-5s, or a Yamaha S90, or something else?

Thank you

Currently have a Casio CTX-700 and a nightmare upright piano restoration(enormous number of potential adjustment...).

Generally speaking these old synths aren't worth your money unless you want the onboard sounds. Since T1 and M1 share almost the same core sounds and M1 comes in a rack version, I'd say no it isn't worth it.

If I'm in the market for a 80's synth, I'd buy the rack version. They have zillions of issues. At least the rack has less parts to deal wtih.
© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums