Piano World Home Page
Idk if I should return this or not.. after pressing buy now on Reverb I found this article from 2005.. that says, "Hi. Recently my mate got himself this peavey studiomix control surface for 80€. It was designed to work specifically with Cakewalk 8 back in 1999 and it is in a metal case with motorized (!) faders. These units are now floating about the internet dirt cheap because this unit sends NRPN instead of CC, but with an app called studiomixmap you can convert the NRPN to CC and assign each fader, knob and toggle switch to a CC, which you can then send to ableton live, and back from ableton live to the unit to get motorized faders working!"

Full article: https://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?t=22145

I don't even know if their talking about my same model or not.. all I know is it's from the same year as what I just bought..

The item I just bought: https://reverb.com/item/5335528-peavey-studio-mix-1999-gray

I want to connect my Motif Rack XS to this Peavey Studio Mix and assign the faders to be used for controlling the different layers of volumes of each instrument then connect it to my keyboard. I DO NOT want to involve a computer... at all. Is it possible to avoid a computer with this fader box? It has Mid in and Out on the back.

I did research on Google and Youtube.. but there doesn't seem to be TOO much info online about this Peavey fader box.. I did see some guy using it with a DAW on his PC and another guy using it with a video game on Youtube.. so I figured it MUST work with my Motif Rack XS.. but then I found that article after pressing buy now..

I'm pretty new to fader midi boxes.. so Idk if I made a mistake buying this.. it was so cheap and brand new, and it had midi and faders, so I just assumed it would work perfectly..

It also says no returns.. not sure how to cancel an order on Reverb.. BUT I don't want to cancel it if I can get it to work with the Yamaha Motif Rack XS without a computer..

Thanks in advance everyone! (be nice in the comments, I'm still learning.)
Here is the manual: https://www.manualslib.com/manual/121111/Peavey-Studiomix.html

I think it explains it on page 13 about connecting it to a keyboard via MIDI.. but not sure if I NEED a computer??
Posted By: dmd Re: Did I make a mistake buying this? Help?? - 09/06/20 12:15 AM
I would suggest you make every attempt to CANCEL your order immediately ..... POST HASTE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Then, you can sit back and figure out all this other stuff ... AND .... if you still want it .... and it is still available ..... Re-order it.

Good Luck
Posted By: EVC2017 Re: Did I make a mistake buying this? Help?? - 09/06/20 12:18 AM
It looks like a MIDI controlled audio mixer to me, not a MIDI control surface.
Oh yea, definitely! I asked for a full refund from the seller and asked him to cancel it about half hour ago, about 45 minutes after buying it. I'm so stressed with this. I hope it actually works without me needing a computer.. What makes this worse, it that it's from 1999.. so I have no idea if even that is the right manual for it. The pictures inside look like the Peavey device fully.. so I guess it is the right manual? Not sure.
Posted By: djvu10 Re: Did I make a mistake buying this? Help?? - 09/06/20 12:41 AM
The first sentence of the "Introduction" part of the manual talked about using this unit with a PC. Right after that, the first paragraph in the "What is the StudioMix?" Section also described the unit as something you use with a PC so my guess is that you'll need a PC.

I've read all your posts and can understand (and relate to) your eagerness to get going with all this equipment but I strongly suggest buying your keyboard (or controller), your sound module(s), get them all hooked up, play with them for a while then figure out what extra accessories/extra equipment you may want or need.
Thanks! I still hope there's SOMEHOW a way around using a PC, but probably not.. I just hope I get a full refund from the person I bought it from.. Either way, I already know for sure that I'll need a midi box with 8 faders for the Yamaha Motif Rack XS, because I won't be using a midi controller keyboard.. so any faders that come on the keyboard that I want to buy, will automatically be used for that keyboard. I will then be layering instruments on the keyboard with the keyboards built on faders controlling the volume of each instrument layer individually, and then layering the Motif Rack XS instrument layers over my keyboards layers using the external Midi fader box to control the volumes of each layer of the Motif Rack XS instrument layers individually. I already have it all planned out... mostly. lol I may not know what keyboard I want to get yet, BUT.. I do know that I'll need a fader box the achieve my end goal on the Yamaha Motif Rack XS end. So I'd rather focus on buying that now, as I research different keyboards to save time. I'm currently looking at the Kawai MP11SE, which will allow me to do exactly what I want to do using Midi zones and the audio input of the keyboard. I just wish that Kawai model had way more internal sounds. That's what's stopping me from going for it fully..
Posted By: djvu10 Re: Did I make a mistake buying this? Help?? - 09/06/20 01:59 AM
At 15 I knew for sure I was going to have a car in a couple of years and I knew I was going to need a keychain so I bought a very expensive keychain. I did buy a car before I turned 17 but had no idea what happened to that expensive keychain!

You haven't bought a digital piano or controller or synthesizer or sound module so everything you know you will want may be from reading or asking a lot of questions. Reading and asking questions is great but until you actually get your fingers on these instruments and play some music, it's all just a lot of... theory.
Haha Well.. if I somehow lose my future midi fader box.. which will probably be a foot long thick box that will be stored in my small bed room still in one spot, mostly untouched.. I shall question my sanity. Haha :P All jokes aside, I totally get what you mean though! smile It's completely understandable! grin It's definitely still a theory for sure, as you said, but I really doubt a keyboard is going to surprise me with 8 secondary faders to layer the Yamaha Motif Rack XS with to be fair, so.. it's leaning closer to fact than theory currently to me. I mean.. I would LOVE if I could find that on a keyboard that has 88 wooden keys (not balanced, and it can be a stage piano too, that's fine with me) that feels as good as people say the Kawai feels, and a load of amazing sound samples and 3 pedals + the expression pedal and both wheels.. laugh but I don't think it's invented yet unfortunately. lol One can dream. Haha The Kawai MP11SE does have 4 knobs for a Rack Midi Synth like the Motif Rack to use for volume controls.. which is great, but useless, as I want to raise multiple volumes at once, so knobs won't work unless I grow 3 more hands. lol and even if it had 4 faders for the Motif Rack XS, I'd still need 4 more to make 8 in all.. Maybe the next model will have faders instead.. and hopefully more sounds than just 40 something.

Would you happen to know of any keyboard that does what I want by any chance? Maybe it does exist and I just missed it.. I am pretty new to keyboards, hence this confusion on Reverb with the Peavey.. lol Maybe I just missed it? Who knows.

Thanks for reading all of my posts btw! I really appreciate it! smile
Posted By: djvu10 Re: Did I make a mistake buying this? Help?? - 09/06/20 04:03 AM
I love my MP11se but I only use it for piano and electric piano. I'd never, ever play organ on it. I don't even play synth parts on it. You can't really have THE perfect keyboard for everything. That's why in your first post, I suggested a MP11se for your piano playing and a different keyboard for synth, organs...

if you're more into synths than piano right now, spend more money on the synth and maybe get a used Casio PX-5, PX-560 or PX-160 for piano. I still have 2 Casio 88-note pianos, they are great for gigging and non-classical playing.

If you're more of a serious classical pianist, buy the dp with the best action you can afford and add the synth of you dream later.

The most important thing is to spend less time reading and more time playing. After 45 years of buying expensive photography equipment, high-end audio/video equipment, guitars, pedals, tube amps, pianos, synths, cars, motorcycles... I can tell you one thing for certain: there's always something newer better, much better, more beautiful coming along. If you keep reading, pretty soon you may not even want the Motif or MP11se anymore; you'll be reading about something else. Play, even if you don't have the best gear, just have fun playing, experimenting, improving. If you do that, I promise you're gonna end up with the gears you want (and they probably won't be anything you've mentioned in here)!
Posted By: EVC2017 Re: Did I make a mistake buying this? Help?? - 09/06/20 11:39 AM
Originally Posted by MelodicRevengexX
Thanks! I still hope there's SOMEHOW a way around using a PC, but probably not..

Out of curiosity I looked for alternatives. Most controllers these days assume you are going to connect to a PC. I suppose is a sheer matter of Market.

The closest thing I could find was this drawbar controller:
https://www.voceinc.com/manuals/voce-midi-drawbar/
[Linked Image]

There are different models of this particular brand. I have found some others. Apparently, most if not all are not new, you would buy them used. It must be possible using the sliders differently from their original purpose, i.e. volume control instead of organ drawbar controlling (I have seen a guy on a video using a drawbar controller to control piano parameters on a DAW). So this may provide you with a different perspective and give you some food for thought and basis for further research.

Another possibility is this controller by M-Audio:
https://www.m-audio.com/products/view/code-25-black
[Linked Image]

Yes, it comes with a keyboard. But it is compact. It is not clear to me if it works stand-alone though. And the product's page states it is sold in EU only. But, again, it may give you another perspective and food for thought and material for further research (to determine if it suits your needs)
Viscount Physis Piano K4 EX (it also has internal sounds)

[Linked Image]

Viscount has other models too. Maybe there's a suitable plain master controller without sounds that's a little cheaper(?)

Arturia KeyLab 88 MkII

[Linked Image]

Arturia might have other suitable models too. I didn't check.

And then of course the question is do these have the necessary "zones" or whatnot to control several Motif patches at the same time.

But there are 88 key controllers/stage pianos with faders.

Though they won't have Kawai action with wooden keys inside.

The "DAW Controllers" category (as it's called on Thomann) might have something usable.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/daw_controllers.html

But if (as) they work via USB then some USB -> MIDI magic box is needed. Those do exist.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/kenton_midi_usb_host.htm

Examples of compact USB based (😐) fader controllers:

https://www.thomann.de/gb/korg_nanokontrol_2_black.htm
https://www.thomann.de/gb/korg_nanokontrol_studio.htm
Posted By: EVC2017 Re: Did I make a mistake buying this? Help?? - 09/06/20 12:40 PM
Sweelink suggested Studiologic Numa Compact 2X. If the sliders are assignable to different functions, in this case to control the volume of other devices, I think it is one of the best suggestions in terms of functionality and affordability.

The Arturia Keylab has that nice extension to place a laptop over it. smile

Originally Posted by clothearednincompo
But if (as) they work via USB then some USB -> MIDI magic box is needed. Those do exist.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/kenton_midi_usb_host.htm

Good call. If they make the connected USB devices working stand-alone (other than being configured, which may require a PC), it is a great idea and opens up several possibilities, beside Korg's.
Posted By: xooorx Re: Did I make a mistake buying this? Help?? - 09/06/20 12:46 PM
Someone actually developed alternative ROM firmware for that Studio Mix controller which converted it from a Cakewalk-specific device into a fully configurable MIDI controller.

http://www.sonicware.de/index_en.html

Caveats:

• Website seemingly not updated in 14 years.
• Windows computer still required to run the software that did the configuring.
• It cost money.
Thanks SO much for searching for that for me! Unfortunately, I don't find a "buy" button when I click on how and where to buy, also, as I'm in the US it would cost $106.. seems a bit pricey for my budget especially after paying with tax and shipping about $146 for the Peavey.

Thanks again! smile
then again.. buying the chip is still tempting.. because other MIDI only fader boxes can be WAY more expensive.. Do you know where the "Buy it now" button is on the site?
Thanks! smile Viscount Physis Piano K4 EX looks great but there just seems to be SUCH little info on it online.. just a few crappy Youtube videos, and only ONE Youtube video from the company themselves looks awesome.. but the version they have on their site with wooden keys is unexistent on Youtube and Google from what I see.. which sucks.. I can't risk buying a keyboard that I literally can't really do too much research on.. Lastly, this is just a nit pick, but why blue? lol Who's bright idea was that to make such a cool keyboard look like a blueberry? lol It is tempting though...

Thanks again!
Posted By: EVC2017 Re: Did I make a mistake buying this? Help?? - 09/06/20 03:43 PM
Maybe someone that did not like that other company that makes theirs look like strawberries. LOL.
Would you say the MP11SE action is too heavy of an action for you to play synth stuff? I totally get that about organs though, I understand that they feel better with even balanced action, but my room is very small with limited space.. and I can't really fit two pianos in there, and having them on top of each other would annoy me, because that would mean I have to stand to play one or else risk my form and posture and maybe risk hurting my hands playing at some weird angle while sitting. I primarily want to focus equally on playing virtual instrument samples, and playing real piano.. my goal isn't necessarily to practice only and play for fun, even though I will be doing that, but to make actual real songs, plus some other stuff. So I feel I need a keyboard with all 3 pedals, the soft pedal, the sostenuto pedal, and the sustaining pedal, and an expression pedal being the fourth.. and since synths don't have that, other than the Viscount Physis Piano K4 EX above.. (but I'm ify on it since there'sSO LITTLE info on it... it even has a version with wooden keys on their site.. and it's unexistent online... which is so annoying.. because the keyboard seems SO perfect.. but I'm not getting something without researching it first.) So, I feel I have to get a stage piano with Hammer action to play my Yamaha Motif Rack XS with.. JUST so I can get the 3 piano pedals for when I want to play classical in the future.. if I get a synth.. I don't think it's possible to get those 3 pedals... so... logically, my BEST all in one solution here, is to just get a stage piano that will get me the 3 piano pedals and an expression pedal, and I play my Motif Rack XS on it... which will leave me with playing organs on Hammer action weighted keys. It's a fair compromise I guess.. MAYBE I can buy a cheap balanced action 88 key Midi controller after.. and stack it above.. and just stand to play organ and burn some calories I guess. lol and IF I want to play 2 organs like a real organ while feeling like a creep in a medieval watch tower playing organs in the year 1604, well.. I can do that now, with balanced action above and and Hammer action below. lol I just fear for my posture and hurting my hands while playing the above one. That's the last thing on my mind right now though, even though it sounds like fun. lol

So.. getting a stage piano with graded Hammer action, seems to be my BEST best for an all in one solution, all while saving space. Plus.. since I've never played a real organ before.. I wouldn't really know that the action is off. Which is great for me. lol

Btw question, I'm currently researching Hammer action, VS the action that the Kawai MP11SE has with wooden keys.. what's the difference between the two from your personal experiance playing them?

Talking about playing them in person, TRUST ME, I would go to Guitar Center in a HEARTBEAT and test out every action and keyboard I wanted, and compare them all for for 2 hours.. but.. corona. I'm not risking that right now. lol

Thank for the advice! smile I really appreciate it! Oh wow! 45? That's really cool! grin I've been a professional musician for about 16 years. I started when I was around 11 - 12. I play more than 10 instruments currently. Piano and guitar being my latest tackle. My main is drums though. If this where a drum forum, I'd be the one giving advice instead of asking a million questions like I am here with keyboards. Haha Soon after, I plan on learning the entire stringed section of the orchestra, because I don't want to have to rely on paying people a comically huge bag of money, when I can just play everything myself and record the entire orchestra one by one for free. lol But for now, high quality orchestral samples on a keyboard will do nicely, along with a Wind Controller mod for my Yamaha Motif Rack XS for the wood wind sections.
Haha! My thoughts exactly!
Here's the video of the keyboard I'm considering.. I'm just not sure if I should get the wood weighted one or the one in the video. It even as internal sounds.. even an add on chip.. plus 9 faders.. it seems so perfect.. but the limited information about it and especially with the wooden key one, has me SO ify on them..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MH68yLkecwE
I would LOVE if I could find that on a keyboard that has 88 wooden keys (not balanced, and it can be a stage piano too, that's fine with me) that feels as good as people say the Kawai feels, and a load of amazing sound samples and 3 pedals + the expression pedal and both wheels.. laugh but I don't think it's invented yet unfortunately. lol One can dream.

Dexibell VIVO S9
[Linked Image]
Thanks! smile Though.. I reallyyyy can't handle the mod and pitch wheels being at that angle.. it looks really uncomfortable. Also their site doesn't want to load for me, so I Google their keyboards and they all seem to have the same twisted at an angel mod and pitch wheel unfortunately. If you have any other suggestions, please let me know! smile

Thanks again!!
If you have any other suggestions, please let me know! smile

What's your budget?
Honestly it varies on how I feel that day. lol Hit me with what ever you think is best for me, and I'll pick one that looks like it's best for me, within a price I can afford. I can always save up too. Thanks! smile
LOL 🤣
Honestly it varies on how I feel that day. lol Hit me with what ever you think is best for me, and I'll pick one that looks like it's best for me, within a price I can afford. I can always save up too. Thanks! smile

Wersi PERGAMON OAX1000 pearly white
[Linked Image]

cool
I'd search for a used Nord Stage 3.
I had a Montage 8 but I swapped it for a Nord Stage 3 HP 76. I really didn't like the constant Montage's menu diving... idk if KORG Kronos is the annoying too like that.
@orvoaffamato : excellent ! But there is one point to verify : “ within a price I can afford”. I have to admit that “ within a price I can afford” is different between me and someone who has just won the lotto.

I note that with 3 clics (your link, then Pay with Paypal, and (not verified), a validation), this model is mine !! Not a big deal. smile
then again.. buying the chip is still tempting.. because other MIDI only fader boxes can be WAY more expensive..
Did you check for the various ones I mentioned in my earlier reply to you? See post 3017518 at http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthre...ha-motif-rack-es-owners.html#Post3017518
Using a USB based one is also viable, with the slight added nuisance of an additional device needed to do the conversion, as clothearednincompo alluded to above.

I can't really fit two pianos in there, and having them on top of each other would annoy me, because that would mean I have to stand to play one or else risk my form and posture and maybe risk hurting my hands playing at some weird angle while sitting.
Not necessarily. A Hammond B3 (and many other kinds of organs, for that matter) stack multiple sets of keys and are designed to be played while sitting. But you'd then want to give some thought to the ergonomics of the keyboards for that purpose. For example, you'd probably want to select a bottom board that allows you to keep the keys of the second board close to those of the first.

I would LOVE if I could find that on a keyboard that has 88 wooden keys (not balanced, and it can be a stage piano too, that's fine with me) that feels as good as people say the Kawai feels, and a load of amazing sound samples and 3 pedals + the expression pedal and both wheels {and faders}.. laugh but I don't think it's invented yet unfortunately.
Getting the action you want is the trickiest part of that, but actions being such a subjective thing, I wouldn't want to rule out the possibility that you might be perfectly happy with some other hammer action that's used in a board that has the other things you want. You said you came close to buying a DGX660. If you found that even close to acceptable in feel, there are probably plenty of other boards you would find very acceptable even without wooden keys, etc.

And remember, you can always add pedals for your VST work. I know you said "I know I can add pedals and stuff onto the keyboard using external midi devices but I want to limit the wires stretching across my room" but there are ways of doing it neatly, and honestly, considering that you've also talked about adding a fader box and multiple sound modules, an extra cable or two for more pedals will probably not even be noticed. ;-)

I don't know if you saw my post 3016225 in one of your earlier threads, but it dealt with some of the issues being talked about here as well... http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthre...ard-with-these-features.html#Post3016225
That is the best troll ever. That actually made me laugh out loud. I love that. LOL Thanks for the laugh. laugh It's rare people online can get me to actually "lol" lol So congrats on that accomplishment. haha

OK OK.. $3K is the max. lol

There. Haha
Originally Posted by orcoaffamato
I had a Montage 8 but I swapped it for a Nord Stage 3 HP 76. I really didn't like the constant Montage's menu diving... idk if KORG Kronos is the annoying too like that.
Yes, the Kronos works more like a Montage. Lots of navigation to different pages. Sometimes not as much because, for example, if you're combining 16 parts, Kronos will show all 16 on the screen at once, whereas with Montage, you'll flip between 1-8 and 9-16 but the trade-off there is that fitting 16 channels of info on the screen at once makes everything quite small and so harder to work with in a different way. And Kronos still probably has more paging in total because of its different modes and different engines. Kronos probably has more total capability, but I find Montage/MODX easier to navigate overall. Though there's also a cool iPad app for Kronos that opens up more interface possibilities.

Nord obviously is much more direct than either Montage or Kronos. But there's a different trade-off. To use the above example of how to approach combining 16 parts, Nord avoids the problem by only allowing you to combine 8 parts... further limited to two piano sounds, two organs, two synth/sampled sounds, and two sounds from an external sound source. But that's the difference in philosophy in a nutshell. Kronos/Montage let you do almost anything you can think of. Nord limits you to doing far fewer things... but they are the things that people most often need, and it usually does those things more directly and easily. (That said, I'm not sure it's a good match for what the OP is looking for.)
Oh yea, I 100% checked out everything you wrote, thanks so much! smile You're always helping me out and trust me, I read it ALL lol, and research everything you suggest ALL the time! I really appreciate you taking the time to help me out with advice! I'm going to do some pretty interesting things in music in the future, so you helping me with knowledge and advice is an investment in your personal time that won't go in vein, grin even if you don't actually see the end results due to this being online, and mostly anonymous, or if you do, you won't know it's me. lol

I think I'm reallyyyy nearing what I want.. I think I want the Viscount K4 EX.. BUT.. I want the weighted wooden key version (which is apparently rare. Great.). It has all the faders I want, PLUS 8 Midi Outs and I think 9 pedal can be added in all. It even supports the 3 main piano pedals I want.. and expressions and other pedals. It will also automatically sense what type of pedal it is once inserted. The ONLY problems I have are.. I heard the internal sounds are.. meh.. just fine, as they are not samples.. BUT lol It has an internal sound generator that allows me to create my own unique grand piano.. I lets me chose string size, the type of material on the mallets of the keys etc. BUT.. if the main piano sounds are just.. ok sounding, can I create something using their engine that sounds better than the pianos they offer already... can I create something better using their own engine than what they could create? Seems unlikely lol ...BUT#4 lol This came out around 2014 I think, and they offer firmware updates.. and I call Viscount on the phone and asked the guy a million questions,and he said the random updates can up date EVERYTHING.. it can update and improve the interface.. and it can add more instruments.. or more samples.. or it can even update EXISTING instrument sounds, and make them sound better.. BUT#5 There's NO audio of a current one being played in 2020.. lol Anywhere.. So.. I would just have to take my chances with that one IF I decide to get it. From what I did hear of the grand piano.. honestly? It sounded more than just fine.. it sounds pretty decently good imo. NOT great. but good. Great, is most Yamaha and Kawai Grands to me.

That keyboard is also REALLY blue, a pretty blue to be fair, but still, REALLY blue. lol That bothers me a bit.. but that's just a nit pic that I can get over after owning it for a while. lol It's in my 3K price range too. Which is great! This keyboard seems perfect..

Here it is: https://www.viscountinstruments.us/physis-piano-k4-199.html

Here's a youtube video of it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MH68yLkecwE&t=26s

My questions now are.. NOW that I have found a keyboard that has the 3 main piano pedals.. You know how the Yamaha Motif Rack XS has built in sample sounds that are very high quality, sound great, and the module is just PACKED to the brim with 1000's of samples of instruments? Well.. what I'm curious about, is there a rack that's JUST like that.. but has ONLY amazing (Yamaha and Kawai level) piano samples that can be used with the 3 main piano pedals being the Sustain Pedal, Soft Pedal, and Sostenuto Pedals for when I want to start playing classical music? Like THAT.. I don't HAVE to rely on the internal ok-ish piano sounds of the Viscount K4 EX to play classical anything.. I can have a module. I know the Yamaha Motif Rack XS has some nice Grand Piano and pianos in general.. but I know they don't work with the triple piano pedals, only sustain. I looked it up and people said the Motif lines just don't have that "advanced" technology. lol I guess thats one of the rare short comings of the Motif lines, but something I can live with. smile So, is there a module that has amazing piano sounds, the FULLY supports all 3 pedals? and even better? Is there a module that just as the Viscount K4 EX, allows me to ALSO customize my own grand piano and make my own? the customizing part isn't a deal breaker though, because idk if it exists. lol So just as long as the Midi Module can play all types of amazing sounding piano sample sounds and utilize the 3 Sustain Pedal, Soft Pedal, and Sostenuto Pedals, I'll be good. Also, is it as electric piano sounds too, even better. My main concern, are high quality Grand piano sample sounds, that work with the 3 pedals.

I know I can connect a commuter, and find something maybe, but as you know, I want this to be a computer-less setup that will allow me to create without having to turn on a computer and load up vsts and a DAW. I will be doing that, but only for when I'm ready to record or demo something. Plus, I think physical modules sound much better than virtual modules because they're not being emulated, which can sound ify at times from my experiance.

Also, on the Viscount keyboard, if I plug in let's say 8 different Midi sound modules like the Yamaha Motif Rack XS for example, into all 8 of its Midi Outs.. and put each of them on a different instrument.. then.. if I play a C major chord, will ALL 8 of the instruments from all ALL 8 modules play a C major cord flawlessly together through my keyboards Amp or speakers? and if I want to record it all into Garageband on my Mac using Midi, will they all appear together as if it's only ONE midi channel/signal? Also, will all 8 of the sounds JUST as I hear them through my keyboards amp or speakers, sound the exact same once recorded via midi?

Lastly, are there any more master keyboards (I think that's the term people call them?) like this Viscount K4 EX that have ALL of the features of this keyboard, as in all the faders, 2 or more wheels, 3 piano pedals, plus expression pedal, plus more pedals if possible, plus Multiple Midi Outs, PLUS 88 Hammer-Action Weighted wooden keys with Aftertouch, that maybe have better internal sounds in then than this Viscount one? Perhaps in black. lol But it can be any color. :P

My price limit for the keyboard is about $3500, I think. lol and for the piano sound module, my budget can be $1000 I guess? but my budgets are subject to change if something really sways my enough and makes a connection with me enough..
This is a comment that I just left to a user here, called AnotherScott. I'm going to copy paste it here to you, because I basically want to tell you the EXACT same stuff, and ask you the EXACT same questions, and I'm not typing all that out again.. haha So here you go! smile Thanks again!! I really appreciate all your help! grin

I think I'm reallyyyy nearing what I want.. I think I want the Viscount K4 EX.. BUT.. I want the weighted wooden key version (which is apparently rare. Great.). It has all the faders I want, PLUS 8 Midi Outs and I think 9 pedal can be added in all. It even supports the 3 main piano pedals I want.. and expressions and other pedals. It will also automatically sense what type of pedal it is once inserted. The ONLY problems I have are.. I heard the internal sounds are.. meh.. just fine, as they are not samples.. BUT lol It has an internal sound generator that allows me to create my own unique grand piano.. I lets me chose string size, the type of material on the mallets of the keys etc. BUT.. if the main piano sounds are just.. ok sounding, can I create something using their engine that sounds better than the pianos they offer already... can I create something better using their own engine than what they could create? Seems unlikely lol ...BUT#4 lol This came out around 2014 I think, and they offer firmware updates.. and I call Viscount on the phone and asked the guy a million questions,and he said the random updates can up date EVERYTHING.. it can update and improve the interface.. and it can add more instruments.. or more samples.. or it can even update EXISTING instrument sounds, and make them sound better.. BUT#5 There's NO audio of a current one being played in 2020.. lol Anywhere.. So.. I would just have to take my chances with that one IF I decide to get it. From what I did hear of the grand piano.. honestly? It sounded more than just fine.. it sounds pretty decently good imo. NOT great. but good. Great, is most Yamaha and Kawai Grands to me.

That keyboard is also REALLY blue, a pretty blue to be fair, but still, REALLY blue. lol That bothers me a bit.. but that's just a nit pic that I can get over after owning it for a while. lol It's in my 3K price range too. Which is great! This keyboard seems perfect..

Here it is: https://www.viscountinstruments.us/physis-piano-k4-199.html

Here's a youtube video of it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MH68yLkecwE&t=26s

My questions now are.. NOW that I have found a keyboard that has the 3 main piano pedals.. You know how the Yamaha Motif Rack XS has built in sample sounds that are very high quality, sound great, and the module is just PACKED to the brim with 1000's of samples of instruments? Well.. what I'm curious about, is there a rack that's JUST like that.. but has ONLY amazing (Yamaha and Kawai level) piano samples that can be used with the 3 main piano pedals being the Sustain Pedal, Soft Pedal, and Sostenuto Pedals for when I want to start playing classical music? Like THAT.. I don't HAVE to rely on the internal ok-ish piano sounds of the Viscount K4 EX to play classical anything.. I can have a module. I know the Yamaha Motif Rack XS has some nice Grand Piano and pianos in general.. but I know they don't work with the triple piano pedals, only sustain. I looked it up and people said the Motif lines just don't have that "advanced" technology. lol I guess thats one of the rare short comings of the Motif lines, but something I can live with. smile So, is there a module that has amazing piano sounds, the FULLY supports all 3 pedals? and even better? Is there a module that just as the Viscount K4 EX, allows me to ALSO customize my own grand piano and make my own? the customizing part isn't a deal breaker though, because idk if it exists. lol So just as long as the Midi Module can play all types of amazing sounding piano sample sounds and utilize the 3 Sustain Pedal, Soft Pedal, and Sostenuto Pedals, I'll be good. Also, is it as electric piano sounds too, even better. My main concern, are high quality Grand piano sample sounds, that work with the 3 pedals.

I know I can connect a commuter, and find something maybe, but as you know, I want this to be a computer-less setup that will allow me to create without having to turn on a computer and load up vsts and a DAW. I will be doing that, but only for when I'm ready to record or demo something. Plus, I think physical modules sound much better than virtual modules because they're not being emulated, which can sound ify at times from my experiance.

Also, on the Viscount keyboard, if I plug in let's say 8 different Midi sound modules like the Yamaha Motif Rack XS for example, into all 8 of its Midi Outs.. and put each of them on a different instrument.. then.. if I play a C major chord, will ALL 8 of the instruments from all ALL 8 modules play a C major cord flawlessly together through my keyboards Amp or speakers? and if I want to record it all into Garageband on my Mac using Midi, will they all appear together as if it's only ONE midi channel/signal? Also, will all 8 of the sounds JUST as I hear them through my keyboards amp or speakers, sound the exact same once recorded via midi?

Lastly, are there any more master keyboards (I think that's the term people call them?) like this Viscount K4 EX that have ALL of the features of this keyboard, as in all the faders, 2 or more wheels, 3 piano pedals, plus expression pedal, plus more pedals if possible, plus Multiple Midi Outs, PLUS 88 Hammer-Action Weighted wooden keys with Aftertouch, that maybe have better internal sounds in then than this Viscount one? Perhaps in black. lol But it can be any color. :P

My price limit for the keyboard is about $3500, I think. lol and for the piano sound module, my budget can be $1000 I guess? but my budgets are subject to change if something really sways me enough and makes a connection with me enough..
On the Viscount K4 EX keyboard, if I plug in let's say 8 different Midi sound modules like the Yamaha Motif Rack XS for example, into all 8 of its Midi Outs.. and put each of them on a different instrument.. then.. if I play a C major chord, will ALL 8 of the instruments from all ALL 8 modules play a C major cord flawlessly together through my keyboards Amp or speakers? and if I want to record it all into Garageband on my Mac using Midi, will they all appear together as if it's only ONE midi channel/signal? Also, will all 8 of the sounds JUST as I hear them through my keyboards amp or speakers, sound the exact same once recorded via midi?

Lastly, are there any more master keyboards (I think that's the term people call them?) like this Viscount K4 EX that have ALL of the features of this keyboard, as in all the faders, 2 or more wheels, 3 piano pedals, plus expression pedal, plus more pedals if possible, plus Multiple Midi Outs, PLUS 88 Hammer-Action Weighted wooden keys with Aftertouch, that maybe have better internal sounds in then than this Viscount one? Perhaps in black? lol But it can be any color. :P

Thanks for your help! IF I go with the Viscount keyboard.. it will be all thanks to you for chiming in. smile Thanks again so much!! grin
UPDATE: The seller on Reverb just gave me a full refund for the Peavey fader module, after making me wait more than a day just for him to press the refund button. THANK GOD I got the refund. lol I read some articles about Reverb sellers being sticklers with refunding money on mistake purchases, even if they aren't shipped yet.. to the point that they will attempt to offer you a partial refund and keep 10%. I'd report them to Reverb on the phone in a heartbeat and demand my money back. Reverb would get a mouthful from me. lol BUT.. at least all is well! smile

Anyways. I know better for next time on Reverb. Especially with old obscure equipment from the 90's that has little to no information on it online. lol

I hope this forum post/bad experiance at least helps someone else out in the future who may be considering that Peavey fader module as a means to control their Midi sound module or keyboard. Don't buy it, unless you can track down that obscure custom made chip (mentioned earlier in this forum post by another user) to make it understand and process CC data. Which costs about $100 btw.. Or unless you want to use it with the old software it comes with. Which could be glitchy or just not work at all on current operating systems for all I know. lol Buy it at your own risk.
Viscount K4 EX...I heard the internal sounds are.. meh.. just fine, as they are not samples.
The pianos, EPs, harpsichord, and mallet sounds are modeled. The rest are sample based. There is no inherent sonic advantage of one over the other... e.g. some people think the modeled Pianoteq VST sounds better than the Ivory sampled ones, others think the reverse, same with Roland's modeled V-Piano vs. others, so don't jump to conclusions there.

updates can up date EVERYTHING.. it can update and improve the interface.. and it can add more instruments.. or more samples.. or it can even update EXISTING instrument sounds, and make them sound better..
The physis is completely software upgradable... but just because they say it CAN be upgraded in all these ways doesn't mean it ever WILL. I believe the last upgrade was in 2018. I wouldn't buy it in anticipation of future upgrades, I'd consider it a bonus if they came.

You know how the Yamaha Motif Rack XS has built in sample sounds that are very high quality, sound great, and the module is just PACKED to the brim with 1000's of samples of instruments? Well.. what I'm curious about, is there a rack that's JUST like that.. but has ONLY amazing (Yamaha and Kawai level) piano samples that can be used with the 3 main piano pedals being the Sustain Pedal, Soft Pedal, and Sostenuto Pedals...is there a module that has amazing piano sounds, the FULLY supports all 3 pedals?
Nothing but a Yamaha will be JUST like a Yamaha. Even if it has as many sounds, they won't be the same sounds, and many people do find Yamaha's acoustic instrument sounds for example to be better than those from other brands. But to the greater issue of a piano module (and you did talk about the possibility of employing multiple modules anyway, so then no single module has to do everything), the two piano-centric modules that come to mind are...

https://www.v3sound.com/en/e-product-grand-piano-xxl.html - which I have not played/heard personally

and

https://www.dexibell.com/prodotto/vivo-sx7/?lang=en --- I have played a Dexibell keyboard with the same sounds, and while the pianos they ship with it are just okay, I really liked a couple of the optional "platinum" pianos you could load into it. The dexibell has 1.5 GB of memory you can allocate as desired... which means that the more memory you devote to piano, the less memory you have available for other sounds.

I don't know off-hand about their triple pedal support, though... you'll have to research that. But as piano-centric modules, I'd say if at least one of these doesn't't do it, probably nothing does. If you download their manuals, you should be able to locate a MIDI implementation chart which will tell you if it recognizes 3 separate CCs for the three piano pedal functions.

even better? Is there a module that just as the Viscount K4 EX, allows me to ALSO customize my own grand piano and make my own?
While it is common for modules and keboards to offer some sound customization possibilities, the kind of detailed customization that the H4 permits requires modeled (rather than sampled) pianos, and those are more rare.

I know I can connect a commuter, and find something maybe, but as you know, I want this to be a computer-less setup that will allow me to create without having to turn on a computer and load up vsts and a DAW. I will be doing that, but only for when I'm ready to record or demo something.
For the times you do want to use a computer, just for playing, you may be able to streamline operation a bit by forgoing the DAW and instead use a simpler VST hosting program (e.g. since you have a Mac, you can use Gig Performer, Camelot Pro, Mainstage). Also, if you have an iPad/iPhone, you may find suitable pianos there. Simpler and quicker to set up than a computer. Consensus seems to be that while iOS still doesn't have pianos as good as what you can get on a piano, it has some very good ones that are better than what is in a lot of hardware. Lowest latency is still in hardware, though.

Plus, I think physical modules sound much better than virtual modules because they're not being emulated
This tends to be true when you're talking about analog gear. But once you're talking about digital, code is code, ones and zeros are ones and zeros. There is no inherent reason for a piano sample to sound better on a keyboard than from a computer. Though in some cases it may feel better, due to less latency, or the manufacturer's skill at matching an action's velocity response to their supplied sample set.

Also, on the Viscount keyboard, if I plug in let's say 8 different Midi sound modules like the Yamaha Motif Rack XS for example, into all 8 of its Midi Outs.. and put each of them on a different instrument.. then.. if I play a C major chord, will ALL 8 of the instruments from all ALL 8 modules play a C major cord flawlessly together through my keyboards Amp or speakers?
You'll need a mixer to take the outputs of the 8 modules and send them to your amp/speakers. Which modules will or will not play simultaneously will depend on what MIDI channels you assign their sounds to (and possibly what routing you enable in the K4).

and if I want to record it all into Garageband on my Mac using Midi, will they all appear together as if it's only ONE midi channel/signal? Also, will all 8 of the sounds JUST as I hear them through my keyboards amp or speakers, sound the exact same once recorded via midi?
Recording MIDI doesn't record ANY sound. MIDI is a way of sending instructions from one device to another, NOT audio. If you record MIDI intended for 8 devices into a DAW, it will not sound like what you played unless you connect those same 8 devices to your computer when you play the file back. If you want to record/capture your performance with those sounds and be able to hear it on playback without having all that gear attached, you need to record the audio. Recording the MIDI won't do it.

Not quite all the MIDI functionality of the K4, but I think the new Roland Fantom 8 comes pretty close to what you're asking for. It's just a little beyond your $3500 cutoff. Which probably means it's the right board for you, because the right thing is always just a little more than the max you wanted to spend. ;-)
Not again...
p.s. (too late to edit", where I said "Consensus seems to be that while iOS still doesn't have pianos as good as what you can get on a piano" was supposed to be "Consensus seems to be that while iOS still doesn't have pianos as good as what you can get on a computer"
Thanks for the advice! grin Hey, remember how you said that I can make a usb fader box into a midi controller fader box to give me a fader box for my Yamaha Motif Rack XS so I can have assignable faders to use it with when I connect it to a keyboard controller? Can you link me to the best converter you know of? That actually seems like a great idea. Thanks! smile
I don't know if it's the "best", they're probably all about the same, but in the U.S. I think this is the cheapest, and it's free return if it doesn't work out...

https://amzn.to/3hhfUlf
Thanks again! Also, I just finished doing detective work on google on Viscount keyboards to research the K4-EX, then I called Viscount to ask them questions (the guy seemed very optimistic. Of course he did. He wants my money, plus they stopped selling those keyboards in 2017 because SO MANY people where returning them according to the guy from Kraft music.. lol. lol), then I called Kraft and found all that out from the guy, thennn I read online that the K4-EX's have an annoying metallic sound to them that can't be dialed out.. AND it's glitchy and lags at times, according to some people in forums who returned theirs too.. lol So, as the queen says, "aaaand another one bites the dust!" ...I'm going to need to get a cheaper keyboard in the end Scott, because I'm going to need to afford therapy due to all of this emotional heartache I'm getting from trying to find a keyboard that has ALL the features I want in it. Haha jk When all is said and done though, the final result will be SO MUCH more sweeter and better, because it will literally be the perfect keyboard... for me personally at least, for my needs and wants. lol

I then found a Kurzweil PC4... it was near perfect in features.. it even look beautiful with the blue lights and black body, then.. I found out as you flip through the sounds.. they begin to get distorted.. and gain artifacts from past sample sounds that you just had it on.. So I would have to turn it off and turn it on again every few samples, I'm NOT dealing with that crap. lol I went from happy, to wanting to bang my head against the wall. lol

NOW... I think I see a shimmer of hope yet again.. the Roland RD 2000 ..it looks really nice.. almost perfect.. it even has the triple pedals I wanted!! FINALLY. Plus a TON of concert grand pianos built in along with other awesome high quality sounding sounds. Updates even gave it 6 more concert grand pianos already.. it's a God send for when I start playing classical in the future.. being stuck with 3 grand pianos like on a Kawai would make me a little bored (maybe, but I think so). lol This also means I don't have to spend money on a piano only module, which is amazingly great, and a huge relief, because it felt liek it was going to be a waste of module space about my future keyboard. lol (I've given up on looking for wooden keys I think. Since I can't go to Guitar Center due to corona.. I'm going to lose my mind seeing if wooden keys are right for me or not by asking OTHER people. lol So screw it I guess. Hammer action it is, because I want it to feel like a real acoustic grand piano at least, but light enough for me to play fast synth stuff and fast virtual instruments.. So I guess Hammer Action is a healthy meet in the middle right? What do you think? Then maybe a second wayyy cheaper keyboard (with balanced action) mainly for organ, on a top rack.. because why not. lol I might as well start learning organ too at this rate. Seems really fun too!) my only issue is (I'm going to make a forum post on this question also.) I WISH the Roland RD 2000 faders, and the control knobs that are located all the way to the left were switched around.. like it is on the Motif XS8 where the faders are on the far left, like that, when I use my Yamaha Motif Rack XS, my left hand can easily stretch straight forward and crescendo instrument volumes of different layers on the faders, and my right has the entire keyboard free to make chords and play whatever. With the faders more to the right on the keyboard I when I want to go to the lower registers with my right hand, I'll have to
EITHER overlap my arms and that would be weird and maybe crampy, OR switch over to playing with my left mid playing and use my right hand to control the faders.. I feel (in a guess) like when I touch the faders quickly with my right hand to regain volume control, they might push up a fader of two a bit without me wanting to.. and ruin the recording, or if I practice, that would just be annoying. lol I feel it would be better to have my left hand forever on the faders.. I could be wrong though. To be fair, I've never used faders on a keyboard before.. I've only dealt with sound board faders.

Here's the Roland RD 2000: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/RD2000--roland-rd-2000-88-key-stage-piano

Here's a great video of it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1yT1l7wyYs&t=926s

Also, on the Roland RD 2000, can I do what the Kawai MP11 can do, which is connect a sound module like the Yamaha Motif Rack XS and layer it over the normal internal keyboard sounds of the Roland RD 2000?

I want to do EXACTLY this to the T, as this has been my end goal (as you know already) all along: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0I3zBycLnQ

Also, what usb faders boxes that have 9 faders, and are know to be the best to be used between a Yamaha Motif Rack XS and midi keyboard controller to control the layer volumes of the Motif Rack XS? I looked it up and there SO MANY.. and since most are meant to be used via usb.. I have no idea which would work best when converted to midi.. Can you send me your top picks? Thanks so much! smile

Do you have friends who have converted usb fader boxes to midi? Have most of those fader boxers worked flawless in the end as midi fader boxes for keyboard sound modules? or have some of them found glitches and problems after some time?

I assume I can’t use mechanical usb fader boxes right? Only usb would work?

Also, as for Midi, how would I hook this up using the Yamaha Motif Rack XS a usb fader box, and the Roland RD 2000?

Btw when I asked about if I can record midi audio or not earlier in this thread.. idk why I asked that. lol I knew the answer already, I was just lacking sleep I guess. Haha Plus I havent worked with midi in about 2 years, so my memory was rusty. lol

I blame corona for all these oddly specific and sometimes seemingly weird (to other people at least lol) questions I'm asking on this forum. I could have just befriended the Guitar Center employees in the piano/keyboard section, and stood there 3 - 5 hours testing and comparing 10 keyboards like a maniac until I found the perfect one.. but no. Corona. So asking here is my only choice. So, again, I REALLY appreciate you helping me out so much Scott! You're the man! smile
I then found a Kurzweil PC4... it was near perfect in features.. it even look beautiful with the blue lights and black body, then.. I found out as you flip through the sounds.. they begin to get distorted.. and gain artifacts from past sample sounds that you just had it on.. So I would have to turn it off and turn it on again every few samples
It was definitely buggy when released, but they have been very good about periodic updates to stamp out bugs and add new functionality. Even at its worst though (I played the very first OS), you didn't have to "turn it off and turn it on again every few samples" but just every now and then. Kurz also happens to be very strong in its MIDI functions. Its weakness is probably the action, which isn't terrible... you'd probably be fine with it if you were okay with the DGX660, but don't expect it to feel like a Kawai.

Roland RD 2000...a TON of concert grand pianos built in along with other awesome high quality sounding sounds. Updates even gave it 6 more concert grand pianos already.. it's a God send for when I start playing classical in the future.. being stuck with 3 grand pianos like on a Kawai would make me a little bored (maybe, but I think so).
It is nice to have variety, though one great sound is better than a dozen okay sounds. A real Steinway only has one sound. ;-) Also, the "6 more concert grands" are still all Roland V-Piano sounds, and while they will sound different, I suspect they will all sound like Roland V-Piano, which is something some people love and some people don't. Related, you mentioned the Viscount pianos having a reputation for sounding metallic, and people have said similar about Roland pianos. But in either case, rather than take people's word, you can listen to samples on youtube, etc. and see if you like the sound.

I've given up on looking for wooden keys I think...Hammer action it is, because I want it to feel like a real acoustic grand piano at least, but light enough for me to play fast synth stuff and fast virtual instruments.. So I guess Hammer Action is a healthy meet in the middle right? What do you think?
Hammer action is not a "meet in the middle." There are lots of hammer actions, some are lighter, some are heavier, and you can't assume one is heavier because the keys are wood. But anyway, a light hammer action would be in the top Kurzweil Forte. Kawai MP7 was a pretty light and quick action too. I'm not sure about the newer MP7SE which has a different action.

my only issue is (I'm going to make a forum post on this question also.) I WISH the Roland RD 2000 faders, and the control knobs that are located all the way to the left were switched around
You're assuming you'll always be playing with your right hand and asjusting with your left, but sometimes you do the reverse. There's no perfect location, but it's all usable.

Also, on the Roland RD 2000, can I do what the Kawai MP11 can do, which is connect a sound module like the Yamaha Motif Rack XS and layer it over the normal internal keyboard sounds of the Roland RD 2000?
Yes. In fact, the Kawai only supports control over 4 external sounds, I believe the RD2000 supports 8.

Also, what usb faders boxes that have 9 faders, and are know to be the best to be used between a Yamaha Motif Rack XS and midi keyboard controller to control the layer volumes of the Motif Rack XS? I looked it up and there SO MANY.. and since most are meant to be used via usb.. I have no idea which would work best when converted to midi..
No difference. A "USB Host-to-5-pin-MIDI" adapter either works or it doesn't, there should not be a "works better" for the adapter, nor should one brand of USB fader box be any more suited to being plugged into a 5-pin MIDI adpter than another. It's kind of like asking what kind of keyboard you should buy if you need to be able to plug it into an extension cord.

All you need the fader box to be able to do is assign a channel and MIDI CC to each fader, and you'll be able to use the sliders to control the typical controllable parameters of any of the modules. I like the old 9-fader Korg NanoKontrol (the new ones only have 8 faders, so not as suitable for organ drawbar use if needed), but I'm not an expert on these, and have almost no personal experience with them.

I assume I can’t use mechanical usb fader boxes right? Only usb would work?
I don't know what you're referring to here.

Also, as for Midi, how would I hook this up using the Yamaha Motif Rack XS a usb fader box, and the Roland RD 2000?
You can use the sliders on the RD2000. But if you want separate additional ones for the Yamaha. Use a MIDI Merge function to send the MIDI from both the RD2000 and the USB Faders (via the USB HOST MIDI adapter) into the MIDI IN of the Yamaha. You can do it with a MIDI Merge box, or the RD2000 might have that function built in, I don't know. A lot of the more advanced MIDI controller oriented keyboards can do that kind of thing without additional hardware.
Posted By: EVC2017 Re: Did I make a mistake buying this? Help?? - 09/10/20 08:56 PM
Originally Posted by anotherscott
You can use the sliders on the RD2000. But if you want separate additional ones for the Yamaha. Use a MIDI Merge function to send the MIDI from both the RD2000 and the USB Faders (via the USB HOST MIDI adapter) into the MIDI IN of the Yamaha. You can do it with a MIDI Merge box, or the RD2000 might have that function built in, I don't know.

RD2000 has a MIDI through output (actually you may configure as either through or out). Would that work as merge box?

About the piano sounds, you were spot on, some love, some think they are OK, some hate them. So, once again, the OP would have to try it instead of relying (only) on other's opinions or Youtube demos.
Originally Posted by EVC2017
RD2000 has a MIDI through output (actually you may configure as either through or out). Would that work as merge box?
It would need some kind of configuration option that would allow it to send the THRU and the OUT signals out over the same connector (which could be either the THRU or the OUT). If there's no internal menu config option to do that merge, then no, you'd still need a merge box. If there IS such an option, then you would plug the fader box into the MIDI IN, and use that merge option so that the fader box midi is passed thru AND merged with the normal midi out of the keys.
Posted By: EVC2017 Re: Did I make a mistake buying this? Help?? - 09/10/20 10:04 PM
Now you got me curious. I will try to do some tests during the weekend to see if it works. I guess if I connect a controller to the MIDI in and play it and RD connected to a PC running a VST piano (Pianoteq), it should play, right? Or I got it wrong?
That would work IF the Roland has an option to merge Thru and Out over a single connector. It would not work that way by default, there would have to be an option to enable it. If there is no such option, it won't work. But all of that is assuming that you're using the 5-pin MIDI jacks. Once a computer is onvolved, you have the USB option available, so then there are more variables.
Updating an earlier post, there are some occurrences of USB devices that will not work with MIDI Host adapters. I forgot about class compliance, since it really hasn't been much of an issue in so many years. But since you're looking at used stuff, you could run into it. Some USB gear won't work with these adapters, because they need custom drivers loaded onto the computer in order to work, and you can't load custom drivers on to the adapters. Also, some may not work through hubs. For more details, you can check https://kentonuk.com/product/midi-usb-host-mkii/
© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums