Piano World Home Page
Posted By: SheepeyDarkness Roland HP 3000 vs Roland F-110 - 07/04/20 09:01 PM
My apologies in advance if I can find this info somewhere else, I've checked the prices paid megathread and have been unable to find an area which I can parse the thread for a keyword.

I've been scouting keyboards to buy for a while now. It's often pretty difficult due to the prices being unavailable if there is a new model available or if the keyboard is fairly old.

I've found a Roland HP-3000 for $175 and a Roland F-110 for $300. I was wondering if anyone would recommend these and if any of these are a steal. Both come with stand. I'm looking for something in the same quality range as a Casio CDP-130, so if possible I'd be interested to see how they chalk up to that as well.
The HP3000 is from the 80's. The F110 is much newer and still kind of a modern model. Roland is now at F140 already and there were 120 and 130 too each model having a lifetime of a few years.

So the HP is a vintage instrument and the F could be better than the Casio CDP as the CDP models are so low tech.

But I don't actually know anything about these instruments. The prices don't seem ridiculous, but is either model actually worth buying?

I don't have the answer. But I'd look at something newer myself.
Posted By: SheepeyDarkness Re: Roland HP 3000 vs Roland F-110 - 07/05/20 06:12 PM
Originally Posted by clothearednincompo
The HP3000 is from the 80's. The F110 is much newer and still kind of a modern model. Roland is now at F140 already and there were 120 and 130 too each model having a lifetime of a few years.

So the HP is a vintage instrument and the F could be better than the Casio CDP as the CDP models are so low tech.

But I don't actually know anything about these instruments. The prices don't seem ridiculous, but is either model actually worth buying?

I don't have the answer. But I'd look at something newer myself.

Thank you, would you know how to find a reasonable price for different models? That's what I've been having difficulty doing so far. Or in other words, find the original sale price, or prices that it's been bought at.

Originally Posted by clothearednincompo
but is either model actually worth buying?

Well, I'm looking for a model of a keyboard that's on par with the quality of the CDP models in the $200-$300 price range. Quite low for what I'm looking for, but I believe if I can find one of these that's reasonable enough it'll be good enough.
The original sales price is irrelevant.

Some fancy Clavinovas and others have costed a lot years ago and sometimes sellers think they are still worth close to the same amount but in practice are obsolete.

What the features are and how they compare with something modern tells what the "antique item" is worth.

If for example a brand new Casio CDP-130 costs 300€ and somebody is selling a used digital piano with similar features but without being new and without having the 2 year manufacturer's warranty then the used piano is worth less than 300€.
© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums