Piano World Home Page
Posted By: major_key_minor Pianos In High Demand? - 05/13/20 11:14 PM
Recently sold my DGX-660. It was on CL for less than a week. This has to be one of the fastest i have ever sold anything on CL. Add to that, I actually made a little profit even after using it for close to 2 years (almost unheard of for an electronic item). I had purchased it from Amazon a little less than 2 years ago as an open-box item. I still had people texting me after it was sold, damn.

Either pianos are in high-demand right now or the DGX-660 is indeed a hot ticket item. Glad it found a good home though.
Posted By: joemama42O Re: Pianos In High Demand? - 05/13/20 11:28 PM
I really don't know. Possibly, more people want to take on a hobby with their high amount of free time? I don't really know.
Posted By: Doug M. Re: Pianos In High Demand? - 05/14/20 09:46 AM
Originally Posted by major_key_minor
Recently sold my DGX-660. It was on CL for less than a week. This has to be one of the fastest i have ever sold anything on CL. Add to that, I actually made a little profit even after using it for close to 2 years (almost unheard of for an electronic item). I had purchased it from Amazon a little less than 2 years ago as an open-box item. I still had people texting me after it was sold, damn.

Either pianos are in high-demand right now or the DGX-660 is indeed a hot ticket item. Glad it found a good home though.

There's lots of people wanting cheap pianos to start a hobby during lockdown. Not so much activity on higher end pianos.
Posted By: jeffcat Re: Pianos In High Demand? - 05/14/20 11:22 AM
It's hard to identify whether it's higher demand or lower-stock

Or, nothing's happened, but they jacked up the price anyway because people might think something's happened.
Posted By: MacMacMac Re: Pianos In High Demand? - 05/14/20 12:30 PM
It's hard to reach valid conclusions based on (a) no data, (b) limited data, or (c) conjectural data.

Everything I've read above is hypothetical. It seeks confirmation ... from data. Lacking that there's really nothing left to say.
Posted By: Colin Miles Re: Pianos In High Demand? - 05/14/20 01:50 PM
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
It's hard to reach valid conclusions based on (a) no data, (b) limited data, or (c) conjectural data.

Everything I've read above is hypothetical. It seeks confirmation ... from data. Lacking that there's really nothing left to say.
I've just been speaking to my local dealer who is working from home and he says he is busier now than he was before lockdown. It's mainly selling cheap keyboards to people taking it up again or wanting something for their kids. Not something he is that happy with as we all know you should try before you buy.
Posted By: peterws Re: Pianos In High Demand? - 05/14/20 03:22 PM
You might have got the DGX at a very low price. Lucky you, making a profit. I tend to buy new, expecting to get half back 3 years later. My 650 went for £350. Paid £599 for it. Good enough.
It's still a cheap hobby!
Posted By: ECBetancor Re: Pianos In High Demand? - 05/14/20 03:30 PM
Originally Posted by peterws
It's still a cheap hobby!
£7 per month with your DGX, to be precise although still not so cheap as our OP DGX smile
Posted By: major_key_minor Re: Pianos In High Demand? - 05/14/20 04:47 PM
Originally Posted by peterws
You might have got the DGX at a very low price. Lucky you, making a profit. I tend to buy new, expecting to get half back 3 years later. My 650 went for £350. Paid £599 for it. Good enough.
It's still a cheap hobby!

Looking back, I did indeed. Paid $540 for it on Amazon and sold it for $580. Back then, I was just starting out and wasn't sure if I would stick with piano so didn't want to spend too much. It probably also helped that the DGX-670 hasn't been released yet. Before offering it for sale, I looked around and couldn't find any DGX-660 less than $600. I would have been perfectly ok with selling it for less but I had no reason to.

I also tend to take very good care of my possessions which probably also helped. The buyers remarked at how new it looked. I promise, i did play it in the 2 years that i owned it smile .
© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums