Piano World Home Page
Posted By: Paul Kopf Vienna Synchron Pianos - SALE - 05/05/20 02:17 PM
Hello everybody,

Excited to be joining your forum!!

Just wanted to let you all know that, for a limited time, all of our Synchron Pianos are discounted!

Synchron Concert D-274, a Steinway & Sons D-274
Standard Library € 215 (reg. €285)
Full Library € 395 (reg. €540)

Synchron Yamaha CFX
Standard Library € 185 (reg. €255)
Full Library € 355 (reg. €490)

Synchron Blüthner 1895
Standard Library € 125 (reg. €165)
Full Library € 220 (reg. €290)

Synchron Bösendorfer Upright
Standard Library: € 125 (reg. €165)
Full Library: € 220 (reg. €290)

Synchron Pianos Bundle
Standard Library: € 545 (reg. €720)
Full Library: € 990 (reg. €1320)

The difference between Standard and Full Library?
=> You get more microphones with the Full Library (both close and room mics).

This is the perfect time to expand your piano collection! If you already own a Synchron Piano, make sure to be logged on our website to see your personal upgrade discounts.

Find impressive videos right here!

With best wishes from Vienna,
Paul Kopf
Posted By: David B Re: Vienna Synchron Pianos - SALE - 05/05/20 03:36 PM
Thanks Paul.

I already own every Synchron Piano. They all have their own unique appeal. However, If I could only have one it would be the Steinway D.

The Steinway D seems to have the best dynamic range after the velocity curve adjustment is set (which has to be done in another program). I wish you guys would include a velocity curve adjustment in your Synchron Piano Software. The global midi sensitivity cannot be fine-tuned enough like a velocity curve adjustment can.

Thanks for the consideration.

God Bless,
David
Posted By: Paul Kopf Re: Vienna Synchron Pianos - SALE - 05/05/20 03:59 PM
Hi David,

Very cool, great to see that you like all of them! Same here :-)

We do have a backlog of good ideas for the Synchron Pianos, hope we can get in some of those ideas in one of the next versions!
I can't make any promises, as things are moving quite fast right now, but we will do our best, and I know what you mean with the velocity curve adjustment!

Best,
Paul
Posted By: David B Re: Vienna Synchron Pianos - SALE - 05/05/20 04:16 PM
Originally Posted by Paul Kopf
Hi David,

Very cool, great to see that you like all of them! Same here :-)

We do have a backlog of good ideas for the Synchron Pianos, hope we can get in some of those ideas in one of the next versions!
I can't make any promises, as things are moving quite fast right now, but we will do our best, and I know what you mean with the velocity curve adjustment!

Best,
Paul

Thanks for the reply.

I would also like to commend you on the Standalone Synchron Piano Player software. That was a nice addition.

God Bless,
David
Posted By: David28 Re: Vienna Synchron Pianos - SALE - 05/05/20 04:58 PM
OK - the Bluthner is beautiful ... onto the CFX!
Posted By: VladK Re: Vienna Synchron Pianos - SALE - 05/05/20 05:27 PM
Paul, the Blüthner 1895 price is incorrect. You put the Bösendorfer Upright price there.
Posted By: Tyrone Slothrop Re: Vienna Synchron Pianos - SALE - 05/05/20 07:12 PM
Paul, I have all the Synchron grand pianos. It would be nice if you were to come out with more Synchron grand pianos. A Bösendorfer Imperial 290 would be awesome, and I would buy it right away. I know some people like your Bösendorfer Upright, but personally, they leave me a little cold. I mean many people already have uprights at home, albeit not as nice as the Bösendorfer Upright, but still. It's the grand pianos they don't have but would love to own...
Posted By: newer player Re: Vienna Synchron Pianos - SALE - 05/05/20 07:29 PM
I don't think anyone has ever released a "Mason & Hamlin" piano VI either.

They have a long history in the Americas, and still make some beautiful sounding pianos in New England. These are expensive, well liked, and sound great.

I can't predict demand for the "VSL Synchron Mason & Hamlin Grand". But I imagine a lot of North American piano players would check this out and the "internet buzz" might create some overflow global demand.
Posted By: KevinM Re: Vienna Synchron Pianos - SALE - 05/05/20 07:58 PM
Originally Posted by newer player

They have a long history in the Americas, and still make some beautiful sounding pianos in New England. These are expensive, well liked, and sound great.

I can't predict demand for the "VSL Synchron Mason & Hamlin Grand". But I imagine a lot of North American piano players would check this out and the "internet buzz" might create some overflow global demand.

I would love a Mason and Hamlin. Those I have heard in recordings have a lovely rich warm sound.

+1
Posted By: VladK Re: Vienna Synchron Pianos - SALE - 05/05/20 08:19 PM
I want Borgato!!! Maene!!! And Bosendorfer 280VC!!!
grin

Also: Baldwin (old), Bechstein, Fazioli, Forster, Grotrian, SK-EX, Pertof Mistral, Sauter, Schimmel, Seiler, Steingraeber, New York Steinway...

LOL.
Posted By: Paul Kopf Re: Vienna Synchron Pianos - SALE - 05/05/20 08:37 PM
Hi everybody,

Yes, the piano world is indeed limitless - We are just recording the great pianos we have available at Synchron Stage Vienna anyway :-)

@Vlad, you are correct about the price... can't find out how to edit the posting.. any tips?

Best, Paul
Posted By: VladK Re: Vienna Synchron Pianos - SALE - 05/05/20 09:43 PM
By the way, VSL harpsichord, harmonium, and prepared piano are also on sale, both Synchron-ized and original VI:

https://www.vsl.co.at/en/Synchron_Package/Synchronized_Special_Keyboards
https://www.vsl.co.at/en/Keyboards_Complete/Special_Keyboards

And it looks like Synchronized use new samples.
Posted By: Boboulus Re: Vienna Synchron Pianos - SALE - 05/05/20 11:27 PM
Interested in the Steinway D I think. For you that own it, do you have the full version one if so worth it or does the cheaper option do just fine?
Posted By: 20/20 Vision Re: Vienna Synchron Pianos - SALE - 05/06/20 12:25 AM
Can someone clarify if the Vienna License is a USB device that they send to you before you are able to download the software? I've also seen these for sale elsewhere but I find the explanation on the website confusing as to whether we must wait to receive the usb first before downloading.
Posted By: VladK Re: Vienna Synchron Pianos - SALE - 05/06/20 04:28 AM
Originally Posted by 20/20 Vision
Can someone clarify if the Vienna License is a USB device that they send to you before you are able to download the software? I've also seen these for sale elsewhere but I find the explanation on the website confusing as to whether we must wait to receive the usb first before downloading.

No, for licensing you need to buy your own ViennaKey (USB device) yourself, and install eLicenser Control Center: http://www.elicenser.net/en/
Steinberg USB key works as well; no need to buy ViennaKey if you have Steinberg USB key.

https://www.vsl.info/en/tutorials/faqs/licenses
Posted By: VladK Re: Vienna Synchron Pianos - SALE - 05/06/20 04:56 AM
OK, to make it clear: you do not need ViennaKey to download libraries using Vienna Download Manager.
Posted By: Harpuia Re: Vienna Synchron Pianos - SALE - 05/06/20 05:08 AM
Originally Posted by David B
Thanks Paul.

I already own every Synchron Piano. They all have their own unique appeal. However, If I could only have one it would be the Steinway D.

The Steinway D seems to have the best dynamic range after the velocity curve adjustment is set (which has to be done in another program). I wish you guys would include a velocity curve adjustment in your Synchron Piano Software. The global midi sensitivity cannot be fine-tuned enough like a velocity curve adjustment can.

Thanks for the consideration.

God Bless,
David

David, could you share the velocity curve you are using for VSL Steinway D on the N1X?
Posted By: David B Re: Vienna Synchron Pianos - SALE - 05/06/20 05:43 AM
Originally Posted by Harpuia
David, could you share the velocity curve you are using for VSL Steinway D on the N1X?

Sure can. Currently I'm using MainStage as the host. I would rather use the standalone Synchron player, but it doesn't have the curve adjustment.

[Linked Image]

I've lowered some of the mid layers very slightly and moved the higher velocities to 110 because that's the max my N1X will produce.

God Bless,
David
Posted By: 20/20 Vision Re: Vienna Synchron Pianos - SALE - 05/06/20 06:30 AM
Originally Posted by VladK

No, for licensing you need to buy your own ViennaKey (USB device) yourself, and install eLicenser Control Center: http://www.elicenser.net/en/
Steinberg USB key works as well; no need to buy ViennaKey if you have Steinberg USB key.

Thank you. Is it best to purchase the Vienna key from VSL directly? In that case, how long before the item ships internationally to the US?
Posted By: 20/20 Vision Re: Vienna Synchron Pianos - SALE - 05/06/20 06:32 AM
OK, to make it clear: you do not need ViennaKey to download libraries using Vienna Download Manager.
Does this mean I can download the program first but to use it I will need to have the license key?
Posted By: lorez Re: Vienna Synchron Pianos - SALE - 05/06/20 08:37 AM
I own three pianos from the bundle. Waiting for you to include the silent key and adjacent notes sympathetic resonance...Was disappointed when I discovered those features are missing.
Posted By: johnstaf Re: Vienna Synchron Pianos - SALE - 05/06/20 08:57 AM
Does this mean I can download the program first but to use it I will need to have the license key?

Unless you have a license on the USB key, it won't work.
Posted By: johnstaf Re: Vienna Synchron Pianos - SALE - 05/06/20 08:58 AM
Through my crystal ball, I see a Bösendorfer 280 VC in VSL's future.
Posted By: VladK Re: Vienna Synchron Pianos - SALE - 05/06/20 02:07 PM

Thank you. Is it best to purchase the Vienna key from VSL directly? In that case, how long before the item ships internationally to the US?

No, you can buy it anywhere (I bought mine from B&H in the US). After you receive it, you will have to register it with VSL (in your account on their web site). I also registered my key with my account at Steinberg web site.
Posted By: Phil44 Re: Vienna Synchron Pianos - SALE - 05/06/20 02:44 PM
Originally Posted by johnstaf
Through my crystal ball, I see a Bösendorfer 280 VC in VSL's future.
I'd love it.
Posted By: David B Re: Vienna Synchron Pianos - SALE - 05/06/20 04:32 PM
If VSL adds a velocity curve editor to their software, I hope they follow VI Lab's example on how to do it the right way. Here is their updated version in the Modern U.

[Linked Image]

It shows velocity in/out (that's imperative).
It has a knob to adjust the curve evenly.
I like their new gain bend as well (although not imperative).

I've found that I can get the most out of the Modern U by utilizing these tools. VSL needs to catchup with everyone else in this area.

God bless,
David
Posted By: Boboulus Re: Vienna Synchron Pianos - SALE - 05/06/20 05:38 PM
I wasn’t going to get tempted by this.... but just order the Steinberg elicenser so I’ll have it at home if I just got to tempted.
I do want a Steinway piano as an alternative to my Garritan CXF but not sure this is the best one... ah well I have some weeks to think about it. smile
Posted By: minstrelman Re: Vienna Synchron Pianos - SALE - 05/07/20 05:49 PM
David B,

would you please tell me your thoughts about the Concert D-274?

what do you like about it?
I already have the Full versions of the Bosendorfer Upright and the Bluthner 1895.

and I just bought Production Voices Concert Grand LE. and like it very much.

thank you for any thoughts,
Charlie
Posted By: David B Re: Vienna Synchron Pianos - SALE - 05/07/20 07:02 PM
Originally Posted by minstrelman
David B,

I already have the Full versions of the Bosendorfer Upright and the Bluthner 1895.

Charlie

Hi Charlie,

What I like the most about the VSL Concert D is that it has a distinctive attack on each note while still having a very good dynamic range for pp/ff playing. It has a massive amount of power if you you feel the need for it.

The VSL CFX also has a great dynamic range and actually sounds a bit better playing ppp/pp, but it lacks the distinctive attack on each note that the Steinway D has.

Hope this helps.

God Bless,
David
Posted By: Harpuia Re: Vienna Synchron Pianos - SALE - 05/07/20 10:19 PM
David B,

Charlie

Hi Charlie,

What I like the most about the VSL Concert D is that it has a distinctive attack on each note while still having a very good dynamic range for pp/ff playing. It has a massive amount of power if you you feel the need for it.

The VSL CFX also has a great dynamic range and actually sounds a bit better playing ppp/pp, but it lacks the distinctive attack on each note that the Steinway D has.

Hope this helps.

God Bless,
David

Very good summary David. This is exactly what I'm thinking about for the Synchron Pianos. Note that their Steinway and Yamaha are more like a modern concert grand piano sound, while their Bluthner and Bosendorfer have very different, intimate sound. Personally I feel the dynamic range of the Bosendorfer Upright a bit limited. Wondering how is the dynamic range of the Modern U? After a few months, is the Modern U still your favorite?
Posted By: David B Re: Vienna Synchron Pianos - SALE - 05/07/20 10:59 PM
Very good summary David. This is exactly what I'm thinking about for the Synchron Pianos. Note that their Steinway and Yamaha are more like a modern concert grand piano sound, while their Bluthner and Bosendorfer have very different, intimate sound. Personally I feel the dynamic range of the Bosendorfer Upright a bit limited. Wondering how is the dynamic range of the Modern U? After a few months, is the Modern U still your favorite?

Currently, I find myself practicing more with the Modern U, but it really depends on what song I want to play when considering a favorite sound. Right now I'm working on an arrangement of Amazing Grace (Praise and Gospel Course with Duane Shinn) and the Modern U is perfect because of the style Duane has us playing it in (a lot of triplets and blues riffs).

Although, I have a intermediate rendition/score of that same song from composer Greg Howlett, and his slow and contemplative arrangement (IMO) lends itself more the the VSL Concert D. So it really depends on what you are trying to communicate with a particular song and what sound touches your emotions more when playing it.

The Modern U has surprisingly good power for an upright, but it can never compare to a 9' concert grand piano. If I had to choose just two VST's they would be the Modern U and the VSL Concert D.

I think a large spectrum can be covered with those two pianos.

God Bless,
David
Posted By: AB99 Re: Vienna Synchron Pianos - SALE - 05/07/20 11:29 PM
Yes!!!

Originally Posted by KevinM
Originally Posted by newer player

I would love a Mason and Hamlin. Those I have heard in recordings have a lovely rich warm sound.

+1
Posted By: Harpuia Re: Vienna Synchron Pianos - SALE - 05/08/20 12:27 AM

Currently, I find myself practicing more with the Modern U, but it really depends on what song I want to play when considering a favorite sound. Right now I'm working on an arrangement of Amazing Grace (Praise and Gospel Course with Duane Shinn) and the Modern U is perfect because of the style Duane has us playing it in (a lot of triplets and blues riffs).

Although, I have a intermediate rendition/score of that same song from composer Greg Howlett, and his slow and contemplative arrangement (IMO) lends itself more the the VSL Concert D. So it really depends on what you are trying to communicate with a particular song and what sound touches your emotions more when playing it.

The Modern U has surprisingly good power for an upright, but it can never compare to a 9' concert grand piano. If I had to choose just two VST's they would be the Modern U and the VSL Concert D.

God Bless,
David

Thanks for the detailed answer!
Posted By: minstrelman Re: Vienna Synchron Pianos - SALE - 05/08/20 02:35 AM
thank you David.
I am very grateful for your excellent reply.

I am trying to decide between getting the Standard and Full versions.

could you possible please tell me if you have any thoughts about that?
Posted By: 20/20 Vision Re: Vienna Synchron Pianos - SALE - 05/08/20 02:42 AM
Does this vst require a host in order to operate, or can it run on its own?
Posted By: minstrelman Re: Vienna Synchron Pianos - SALE - 05/08/20 02:57 AM
it can run on its own.
the program is the Synchron Player. I like it.

https://www.vsl.co.at/en/Software/Synchron_Player
Posted By: David B Re: Vienna Synchron Pianos - SALE - 05/08/20 03:23 AM
thank you David.

I have the full versions and I had a member here (Karvala) create some presets for me. He is very talented and I always love his presets better than anything I can come up with. He hasn't been here since last year. I hope he's doing well.

I've always opted for the full versions. However, I'm sure Karvala (or another smart/creative person) can make the standard versions sound good also.

God Bless,
David
Posted By: minstrelman Re: Vienna Synchron Pianos - SALE - 05/08/20 02:49 PM
thank you very much David.

PM'ing you.
Posted By: johnstaf Re: Vienna Synchron Pianos - SALE - 05/08/20 03:12 PM
it can run on its own.
the program is the Synchron Player. I like it.

https://www.vsl.co.at/en/Software/Synchron_Player

Synchron Pianos is a different program.

It requires a host.
Posted By: VladK Re: Vienna Synchron Pianos - SALE - 05/08/20 03:59 PM
Synchron Pianos is library, not software. 4 libraries to be precise.

You need to install Vienna Download Manager to install any VSL library.

All VSL libraries are run by free standalone VSL players which you would have to install as well:
Vienna Imperial Player for Vienna Imperial
Synchron Player for all Synchron pianos

You can also load these players as VST/AU/AAX plugins to your host.
Posted By: johnstaf Re: Vienna Synchron Pianos - SALE - 05/08/20 05:24 PM

All VSL libraries are run by free standalone VSL players which you would have to install as well:

Synchron Pianos is player for the Synchron Pianos. Synchron Player is not the same. Synchron Pianos requires a host.
Posted By: Boboulus Re: Vienna Synchron Pianos - SALE - 05/08/20 06:39 PM
I just got the usb-elicenser key... now
Just the question to get the D-274 or not and if I should get the full (very expensive) version or not I think I will go for the light version and maybe upgrade later.

About the question on the Modern U I can just agree to everything David said. I love to play and practice with it... for some reason I just never get tired of the sound.
Posted By: johnstaf Re: Vienna Synchron Pianos - SALE - 05/08/20 07:00 PM
Originally Posted by Boboulus
I just got the usb-elicenser key... now
Just the question to get the D-274 or not and if I should get the full (very expensive) version or not I think I will go for the light version and maybe upgrade later..

I have the standard libraries as I don't see any advantage in the full versions.
Posted By: VladK Re: Vienna Synchron Pianos - SALE - 05/08/20 07:48 PM
You can use Synchron Pianos as stand-alone VI Player.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: 20/20 Vision Re: Vienna Synchron Pianos - SALE - 05/08/20 07:49 PM

Synchron Pianos is player for the Synchron Pianos. Synchron Player is not the same. Synchron Pianos requires a host.

Very confusing. So are you saying VSL requires a host to operate? There is no stand alone function?
Posted By: johnstaf Re: Vienna Synchron Pianos - SALE - 05/08/20 08:28 PM
Very confusing. So are you saying VSL requires a host to operate? There is no stand alone function?

Sorry. They introduced a standalone version last summer.

https://www.vsl.co.at/community/pos...and-Synchron-Player-available#post287245
Posted By: carlspost Re: Vienna Synchron Pianos - SALE - 05/08/20 10:08 PM
thank you David.

Why not just purchase both. VSL have a return option if you are not happy with the piano. At least this way you will end up with at least one of the packages. If the standard version is enough for you just just get a refund on the full version.
I just bought the standard version of the D-274 but have to wait for the elicenser to arrive.... Torturous!
Posted By: Boboulus Re: Vienna Synchron Pianos - SALE - 05/08/20 10:20 PM
Originally Posted by carlspost
thank you David.

Why not just purchase both. VSL have a return option if you are not happy with the piano. At least this way you will end up with at least one of the packages. If the standard version is enough for you just just get a refund on the full version.
I just bought the standard version of the D-274 but have to wait for the elicenser to arrive.... Torturous!

You can also upgrade it seems for €180 (the promotian price) so the same price as the full version if you buy the standard first.

I think i will go for the normal version now and maybe upgrade if there will be a sale later. I can't really justify paying so much for a VI right now.
Posted By: U3piano Re: Vienna Synchron Pianos - SALE - 05/08/20 10:55 PM
I can't really justify paying so much for a VI right now.

I tried telling myself such things a couple of times before as well. smirk
Posted By: minstrelman Re: Vienna Synchron Pianos - SALE - 05/09/20 02:06 AM
thank you very much carlspost and Boboulus. smile
Posted By: Boboulus Re: Vienna Synchron Pianos - SALE - 05/09/20 08:39 AM
thank you very much carlspost and Boboulus. smile

Did you buy it yet and if so what do you think about it? smile
Posted By: minstrelman Re: Vienna Synchron Pianos - SALE - 05/09/20 02:39 PM
not yet.

how about you? smile
Posted By: Boboulus Re: Vienna Synchron Pianos - SALE - 05/09/20 03:46 PM
Hehe not yet here either... I’m contemplating if I should buy this or upgrade my Garritan CFX lite to full version instead. But maybe it will be nice to be able to play a Steinway D and a Yamaha CFX on my digital piano as variation. Going to think about it some more and try to find some good review... most of what I find in YouTube is mostly promotional videos it seems.
Posted By: minstrelman Re: Vienna Synchron Pianos - SALE - 05/09/20 05:49 PM
very good.
I have Garritan CFX Full. I like it.
and I like your idea of having both a CFX and a Steinway D.

would you please let me know if you get VSL Concert D-274?

I am resisting the urge to get the Standard version.
Posted By: minstrelman Re: Vienna Synchron Pianos - SALE - 05/09/20 06:24 PM

God Bless,
David

Thanks for the detailed answer!

hi,
would you possibly have any thoughts about the VSL Concert D-274 Standard version compared to the Full version
I'm thinking of getting the Standard version. and want to know if it will be a good pick. the Full version price is more than I want to pay.
Posted By: johnstaf Re: Vienna Synchron Pianos - SALE - 05/09/20 07:26 PM
The full version has more microphone positions. There's no other difference.
Posted By: minstrelman Re: Vienna Synchron Pianos - SALE - 05/09/20 08:01 PM
thank you.
do you have Full or Standard?
Posted By: johnstaf Re: Vienna Synchron Pianos - SALE - 05/09/20 10:53 PM
thank you.
do you have Full or Standard?

I have standard libraries for each grand (I don't have the upright).
Posted By: minstrelman Re: Vienna Synchron Pianos - SALE - 05/09/20 11:56 PM
ok.
I have the Full versions of the Bosendorfer Upright and the Bluthner 1895.

would you please tell me any thoughts you have about the Concert D-274?
Posted By: KevinM Re: Vienna Synchron Pianos - SALE - 05/10/20 08:44 AM
Foolishly I've just spent £300 for VSL Vienna Imperial with the USB key, postage and exchange rate fee.

Lets see how I get on with it when I get delivery of the key.
Posted By: Boboulus Re: Vienna Synchron Pianos - SALE - 05/10/20 09:45 AM
Foolishly I've just spent £300 for VSL Vienna Imperial with the USB key, postage and exchange rate fee.

So far i just bought the key just in case i really want this... it was not that expensive and i thought i might need it later anyway. But the D-274 is very tempting.... i still have some time to think smile

Anyone here knows if VSL usually have Black Friday sales?
Posted By: johnstaf Re: Vienna Synchron Pianos - SALE - 05/10/20 10:40 AM
Anyone here knows if VSL usually have Black Friday sales?

They have a different offer every month.
Posted By: johnstaf Re: Vienna Synchron Pianos - SALE - 05/10/20 10:42 AM
ok.

The D is fantastic. It appears to be their most demanding in terms of streaming.
Posted By: johnstaf Re: Vienna Synchron Pianos - SALE - 05/10/20 10:48 AM

Vienna Imperial is my first love. 💕 ❤️ 💝 We've been together seven years.
Posted By: Tyrone Slothrop Re: Vienna Synchron Pianos - SALE - 05/10/20 01:23 PM

Really? And in that time, you haven't thought to have dalliances with the VSL Synchron Pianos? I don't have VSL Vienna Imperial myself. How would you say it compares with the 3 Synchron grand pianos? (I really have a soft spot for the Bosendorfer Imperial and have been hoping VSL would add it to their VSL Synchron lineup, and even mentioned this to, Paul above. But maybe I just have to reconcile myself to that never happening because they already have a non-Synchron VSL Vienna Imperial?)
Posted By: QuasiUnaFantasia Re: Vienna Synchron Pianos - SALE - 05/10/20 01:36 PM
Okay, now my interest has been pushed over the edge: what is the difference between "synchron" and "non-synchron" VSL pianos?
Posted By: KevinM Re: Vienna Synchron Pianos - SALE - 05/10/20 02:17 PM
ok.

The D is fantastic. It appears to be their most demanding in terms of streaming.

What do you mean by streaming here. Is that generating the sound in real time with no pops/crackles and low latency, so you need hardware that is good enough to do that?
Posted By: KevinM Re: Vienna Synchron Pianos - SALE - 05/10/20 02:24 PM

Are you saying Vienna Imperial has high levels of fidelity?
Posted By: minstrelman Re: Vienna Synchron Pianos - SALE - 05/10/20 02:33 PM

thank you very much. smile
Posted By: David Lai Re: Vienna Synchron Pianos - SALE - 05/10/20 02:34 PM
I should look into buying a key first. My hope is to get the Concert Steinway standard library, as I find the tone very much to my liking, and it's the kind of sound I hear often, mostly at my school back in China. But this would make a wonderful piano to both practice and perform!!!
Posted By: VladK Re: Vienna Synchron Pianos - SALE - 05/10/20 03:59 PM
IMO:
Vienna Imperial has fantastic sound. I have zero regrets after buying it this April. The main issue for classical is that it does not support half-pedaling.
The other differences with Synchron series:
- Synchron UI is newer, can be resized, etc;
- Synchron series have more detailed samples, full pedaling support. And in general - sampling and scripting techniques improved over years;
- Synchron samples have ambience/reverb of Synchron Stage embedded while VI is dry (but you can still reduce the reverb to make Synchron dry as well if you want to apply another acoustics). The idea behind Synchron Series was that all instruments in orchestra are recorded in corect locations with same real stage acoustics which allows producer to easily mix them together to create complex, say, symphonic works. Not relevant for us piano players though.
Posted By: Tyrone Slothrop Re: Vienna Synchron Pianos - SALE - 05/10/20 04:33 PM
The main issue for classical is that it does not support half-pedaling.
Thanks! OK, that just zapped my budding G.A.S. for the VSL Vienna Imperial, right there. My piano teacher has been working with me on using half-pedalling in one of my pieces I am working on now, so I don't really think I should get a VST that doesn't support half-pedalling.
Posted By: GMPiano Re: Vienna Synchron Pianos - SALE - 05/10/20 05:00 PM
I purchased the VSL Bluthner 1895. It is a lovely sound, and a nice contrast from the Garritan CFX and the American Concert D I already own. Unfortunately, it appears to be a lot more demanding of my computer (2015 Macbook Pro dual-core i5) and I can't play it with any less of a buffer than 512 without getting pops and cracks. I'm able to run the CFX at 64 with no such issues. So, unfortunately going to have to return the Bluthner, as this level of latency is unacceptable for me.
Posted By: QuasiUnaFantasia Re: Vienna Synchron Pianos - SALE - 05/10/20 05:46 PM
IMO:
Vienna Imperial has fantastic sound. I have zero regrets after buying it this April. The main issue for classical is that it does not support half-pedaling.
The other differences with Synchron series:
- Synchron UI is newer, can be resized, etc;
- Synchron series have more detailed samples, full pedaling support. And in general - sampling and scripting techniques improved over years;
- Synchron samples have ambience/reverb of Synchron Stage embedded while VI is dry (but you can still reduce the reverb to make Synchron dry as well if you want to apply another acoustics). The idea behind Synchron Series was that all instruments in orchestra are recorded in corect locations with same real stage acoustics which allows producer to easily mix them together to create complex, say, symphonic works. Not relevant for us piano players though.

Thank you for the clarification! Very enlightening.
Posted By: Boboulus Re: Vienna Synchron Pianos - SALE - 05/10/20 05:49 PM
Originally Posted by GMPiano
I purchased the VSL Bluthner 1895. It is a lovely sound, and a nice contrast from the Garritan CFX and the American Concert D I already own. Unfortunately, it appears to be a lot more demanding of my computer (2015 Macbook Pro dual-core i5) and I can't play it with any less of a buffer than 512 without getting pops and cracks. I'm able to run the CFX at 64 with no such issues. So, unfortunately going to have to return the Bluthner, as this level of latency is unacceptable for me.

How much ram do you have?
Posted By: KevinM Re: Vienna Synchron Pianos - SALE - 05/10/20 06:08 PM

I am also interested for my own selfish reasons. But not just RAM, but whether the drive is an SSD and how big, and the clock speed of the i5.

I have a 2012 model MBP, quad core i7 at 2.2 GHz. and a 500Gb SSD drive. I am waiting on my first VSL license with the USB key. I might end up having to cancel my purchase if I have the same issue.
Posted By: johnstaf Re: Vienna Synchron Pianos - SALE - 05/10/20 06:27 PM
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
Really? And in that time, you haven't thought to have dalliances with the VSL Synchron Pianos? I don't have VSL Vienna Imperial myself. How would you say it compares with the 3 Synchron grand pianos? (I really have a soft spot for the Bosendorfer Imperial and have been hoping VSL would add it to their VSL Synchron lineup, and even mentioned this to, Paul above. But maybe I just have to reconcile myself to that never happening because they already have a non-Synchron VSL Vienna Imperial?)

I have had dalliances with all of the VSL grands. There's just something special for me about the Imperial. Maybe it's because it was my first true love. The Synchron pianos are arguably executed better, but the heart wants what the heart wants.
Posted By: johnstaf Re: Vienna Synchron Pianos - SALE - 05/10/20 06:32 PM
I have a 2012 model MBP, quad core i7 at 2.2 GHz. and a 500Gb SSD drive. I am waiting on my first VSL license with the USB key. I might end up having to cancel my purchase if I have the same issue.

You'll have no trouble with Vienna Imperial on your MBP. It can run from an external HDD perfectly well (which reminds me to move it from my SSD). It uses lossless compression to make streaming easier, but it's also very easy on the processor. I run it on a lower spec Samsung laptop from the same year with 6GB RAM since I bought it.
Posted By: minstrelman Re: Vienna Synchron Pianos - SALE - 05/10/20 08:13 PM
johnstaf, do you think you'll ever get the Full version of Concert D-274?

or is Standard so good, that you'll just stay with that version?
Posted By: KevinM Re: Vienna Synchron Pianos - SALE - 05/10/20 08:31 PM

You'll have no trouble with Vienna Imperial on your MBP. It can run from an external HDD perfectly well (which reminds me to move it from my SSD). It uses lossless compression to make streaming easier, but it's also very easy on the processor. I run it on a lower spec Samsung laptop from the same year with 6GB RAM since I bought it.

Thanks John. Do you have an idea how much the standard version of Concert D-274 demands over Vienna Imperial?

I am sorely temped by the Concert D.
Posted By: johnstaf Re: Vienna Synchron Pianos - SALE - 05/10/20 09:32 PM
Thanks John. Do you have an idea how much the standard version of Concert D-274 demands over Vienna Imperial?

It's a huge jump Kevin. The D-274 is very demanding in terms of streaming.
Posted By: GMPiano Re: Vienna Synchron Pianos - SALE - 05/11/20 01:20 AM

I am also interested for my own selfish reasons. But not just RAM, but whether the drive is an SSD and how big, and the clock speed of the i5.

It is 2.9GHz dual-core i5 with 16GB of 1867 MHz RAM. I replaced my original hard drive with a Samsung 970 EVO 1TB drive just last month when I got my keyboard and started buying all these virtual pianos. The other pianos do work fine with this system, so it looks like VSL will have to wait until the next computer for me.
Posted By: 20/20 Vision Re: Vienna Synchron Pianos - SALE - 05/11/20 03:34 AM

Can you share with us the specs of your computer running the D-274? Are there any latency, pops, crackle issues?
Posted By: Paul Kopf Re: Vienna Synchron Pianos - SALE - 05/11/20 01:51 PM
Hi GMPiano,

Just a thought: Did you increase the PRELOAD time of your Blüthner 1895 (in Synchron Player Preferences => Database)? This will give you more performance (although also longer loading times).
The less mics you are using live, the better the performance... and you could switch to a higher latency when mixing your piece, to use more mics...

Best,
Paul
Posted By: KevinM Re: Vienna Synchron Pianos - SALE - 05/11/20 02:10 PM
Hi Paul,

I'm interested in the Concert-D, but I'm concerned my hardware won't be up to the job. I'm far more interested in real time playing and less in later mixing.

I would like to keep the buffer size to 128 or less as I do for my other VSTs to keep latency to a minimum.

If I purchased and I could not get Concert-D to work to my satisfaction, is your returns policy simple to follow through with. Also how long would I have to attempt to get the VST to work to my satisfaction before a refund would no longer be possible.

I have a 2012 model MacBookPro quad core i7 at 2.3 GHz with a 500GB SSD drive and 16GB of RAM. It is a machine dedicated to running my VSTs, and has a minimum of other software running. Do you think it is likely it will run Concert-D with low latency and no cracks and pops in the generated sound?

Or should I leave it? since to run Concert-D I will need better hardware.
Posted By: David28 Re: Vienna Synchron Pianos - SALE - 05/11/20 03:03 PM
I've a 2017 MBP, 2.3GHz i5, 8GB RAM and a NVME SSD. At 44.1 KHz, 128 buffer, I get the odd crackle if I've a load of keys held down with the sustain pedal, not enough to bother me. I can't go higher than 44.1 KHz though ...

14 day return policy AFAIK.
Posted By: johnstaf Re: Vienna Synchron Pianos - SALE - 05/11/20 03:30 PM

Can you share with us the specs of your computer running the D-274? Are there any latency, pops, crackle issues?

I downloaded the standalone player today, and I think it works better than using a DAW.

2012 Samsung with 6GB (not 16 GB😁) RAM and a dual core i5 processor.
2018 MacBook Pro 16 GB with six core i7.

128 sample buffer.

The Samsung can't handle more than a couple of mic pairs for live playing, but I'm not interested in using more.
Posted By: David28 Re: Vienna Synchron Pianos - SALE - 05/11/20 03:42 PM
Originally Posted by G-now-p-man
I've a 2017 MBP, 2.3GHz i5, 8GB RAM and a NVME SSD. At 44.1 KHz, 128 buffer, I get the odd crackle if I've a load of keys held down with the sustain pedal, not enough to bother me. I can't go higher than 44.1 KHz though ...

14 day return policy AFAIK.

I should have said with the standard library and presets, pretty sure my setup couldn't handle the surround mics.
Posted By: KevinM Re: Vienna Synchron Pianos - SALE - 05/11/20 03:50 PM
Thanks for the answers, it actually looks like I should be ok. But I should leave purchasing until I have a time window to give the VST a proper workout in the two weeks I'll have to test it.

I don't use a DAW and will be using the standalone player, and I will use Audio HiJack when recording which captures the sound from the standalone player.

I think my MPB will be somewhere between your Samsung and your MBP John in terms of spec.
Posted By: Paul Kopf Re: Vienna Synchron Pianos - SALE - 05/11/20 06:31 PM
Hi everybody,

Yes, product returns for product purchased at the VSL webshop is possible within 14 days.

The Synchron Pianos can get tricky on old hardware and low buffer sizes, and the more microphone channels you want to use, the harder it gets.
BUT those pianos sound so good that it might justify upgrading that hardware (you have to do that anyway at some point) ;-)

I am also just planning to get a new computer, and I remember that it pays off every time, although I am usually hesitant for a while.

With computers, 3 years is old, 5 years is ancient...

Best,
Paul
Posted By: U3piano Re: Vienna Synchron Pianos - SALE - 05/11/20 06:59 PM
Originally Posted by Paul Kopf
With computers, 3 years is old, 5 years is ancient...

I think just adding a couple of ssd's gets you pretty far with an ancient pc, but don't expect to mix lots of mic positions without problems.
Posted By: Boboulus Re: Vienna Synchron Pianos - SALE - 05/11/20 07:44 PM
I got the VSL D-274 and it runs very good in a Mac mini 2018 with 16gb or ram. I have I at buffer size 64 and only get some cracks of I play aloooot of notes at the same time
With sustain pedal down.

It has an amazing sound and great playability. Doesn’t play that well with my internal speakers unfortunately but still like the sound if i feel I want to record. I wish the standard version had some more presets for player position since I feel the one you get is a bit to much reverb and I can’t manage to set it to my liking.
Posted By: VladK Re: Vienna Synchron Pianos - SALE - 05/11/20 08:25 PM
Thanks for the answers, it actually looks like I should be ok. But I should leave purchasing until I have a time window to give the VST a proper workout in the two weeks I'll have to test it.

I don't use a DAW and will be using the standalone player, and I will use Audio HiJack when recording which captures the sound from the standalone player.

I think my MPB will be somewhere between your Samsung and your MBP John in terms of spec.

Just make sure you receive ViennaKey before you buy the library. It may take a while during pandemics to get it delivered to your door. I waited for almost 2 weeks to have iLok delivered in April, and the seller shop was from the same US state I am!
Posted By: KevinM Re: Vienna Synchron Pianos - SALE - 05/11/20 09:30 PM

Just make sure you receive ViennaKey before you buy the library. It may take a while during pandemics to get it delivered to your door. I waited for almost 2 weeks to have iLok delivered in April, and the seller shop was from the same US state I am!

I ordered the key when I ordered the Vienna Imperial and from the tracking that is due for delivery on Thursday this week. I am going to want to give the Vienna Imperial a run for its money for a couple of weeks before ordering the Synchron Concert D. I like to be able to give a VST its own attention for enough time to get a feel for it. That should give me a few days before the sale ends to buy the Concert D.

I am not sure that suggesting spending a couple of thousand on a new computer to run a VST costing a couple of hundred is the best marketing ploy.
Posted By: David B Re: Vienna Synchron Pianos - SALE - 05/11/20 09:50 PM
I am not sure that suggesting spending a couple of thousand on a new computer to run a VST costing a couple of hundred is the best marketing ploy.

I was originally running my VSL software on a 2012 MacBook Air. It worked that MacBook Air too hard. It constantly ran hot with the fan on high, but I could still run the software without perceptible latency.

So I decided to save up (and utilize a cash back credit card offer) to purchase a 2018 Mac mini to run my VST's. Now I've got a dedicated computer just for piano stuff. I'm very happy with the setup.

I'm surprised to hear that people are struggling with the VSL software. I would think that any mid-level hardware within the last 5 years should be good to go.

God Bless,
David
Posted By: VladK Re: Vienna Synchron Pianos - SALE - 05/16/20 03:12 AM
I compiled the info I found on Synchron piano microphone positions and default presets into one file for easy reference until I get good understanding of all 4 pianos (and this should take a while):

Synchron Pianos Bundle Microphone & Preset Reference

Export to PDF had some minor formatting glitches, but it better than nothing.

Oh, and this file might make it easier to decide do you need full library or not. IMO, full library is much better for piano player.
© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums