Piano World Home Page
Hello.

I have a Kawai ES110 and ran into the following issue: I want to use external speakers (let's say a PA system) while I use the piano's internal sound as monitor for myself. The problem is that I want the line out to have eq off, while keeping the internal sound in "normal" eq, as this improves the internal speaker sound a lot.

I cannot achieve this since the selected eq applies to both line out and internal sound, which is kind of stupid since with eq off the PA sounds alright while the internal sounds very muddy, and with eq on "normal" the PA sounds with ultra piercing highs while the internal sounds alright.

I suppose there's no way of fixing this, but maybe anybody has a good idea or found some way? It sucks to not have independent eq's, or at least not having the line out not affected by eq's.

Thanks in advance and best regards!
I don’t believe what you’re hoping to achieve is possible with the ES110.

Actually, I’m not aware of any instruments that allow different EQ settings to be applied to the speaker output and line out output.

Sorry I cannot be of greater help.

Kind regards,
James
x
Thank you James, you've already been of help by confirming what I suspected.

I'm somewhat puzzled that no piano allow different eq for output and internal sound, but what's even more puzzling is the desition of the manufacturer to make the line output be affected by the piano's eq.

I find this super unfortunate since the dp eq settings are specifically crafted for their internal speakers, and will always sound bad in an external sound system, which probably will have its own equalizer anyway.

In this case, such desition totally ruins the very interesting potential capacity of the ES110 to have its own integrated monitors. What a disappointment.

Best regards,
Rodrigo.
Originally Posted by RodrigoPon
I find this super unfortunate since the dp eq settings are specifically crafted for their internal speakers, and will always sound bad in an external sound system, which probably will have its own equalizer anyway.
Agree there should be a "direct" option, but there may be times you want to record the equalized sound. Perhaps another set of "direct" outputs, or a software or hardware switch?
Originally Posted by Steve.L
Originally Posted by RodrigoPon
Agree there should be a "direct" option, but there may be times you want to record the equalized sound. Perhaps another set of "direct" outputs, or a software or hardware switch?

I don't think you'd ever want to use the EQs for recording, at least not the ones in the ES110. For this piano there's 3 options: "normal", "table" and "off". "Normal" is designed for a stand, with increased highs and decreased mid frequencies. "Table" is for when you use the piano on a table, it has decreased bass to compensate for the table's reflection of bass frequencies. Off is just off.

Both "normal" and "table" sound awful on external speakers since they're taylored for this particular piano's speakers and cabinet, but they actually work amazingly well for the internal sound. In fact, when EQ is off the internal speakers sound like a muddy mess (hence particularily bad for monitoring), barely usable at all.

I think this is just a mistake from the manufacturer. Don't see any scenario where anybody would want to use these ugly EQ presets for line outs, while they're superb for the piano's speakers.
© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums