Piano World Home Page
Posted By: Tyr Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 01/18/20 02:12 AM
Hi Folks,

as i mentioned in the other thread, i received my NV5 two days ago and i'm happy it finally happened. I had sold my NU1X at the start of December 2019 and had no piano until then. Now i got time to play around with it and want to share my thoughts. I will compare the NV5 mostly with its direct competitor the Yamaha NU1X.

For people who don't know me: I am one of the crazy people who are very very very pitty on everything about Digital Pianos. I've owned several Digitals (9 or 10 in total) in the last Three Years including the Kawai Novus NV10 and Yamaha NU1X Hybrids. Due to that I have a broad Experience about Yamaha and Kawai Models and every previous Model had something which i can't ignore hard enough to keep it more than a year. I was always seeking for the "perfect" Digital and i gave Kawai the 3rd try to convince me. So lets find out if it's a success. wink

1. The Cabinet Design:

The Design is a bit different compared to the CS11. It looks less old fashioned and more slim and sleek. It's around 10cm (3,9" for the US Boys) taller than the NU1X. Visually this makes a big difference. It looks huge to compared to the Yamaha. The Width and Depth are the same (+- 1cm). The Key Bed seems a bit deeper compared to Yamahas Model. The Front Speakers at the top are covered behind a thin Line of Fabric Covers. The Top Speakers are held under a cover with a silver outline. Unlike the CS11 the back doesn't have an uncoated wooden cover so it looks good even if you can see the back panel. There are no Woofers so the front is completely coated in PE. Overall it looks amazing. It's balanced between a Modern Appearance and the classic Piano Look.

2. The Key Action:

Playing on the Millenium III Upright Action (NV5 Action for reference) is like the NV10 Grand Action. While both actions are different, you feel that there is a lot going on inside the Piano. You need a bit more Power to move the Key at the beginning and it gets lighter the more you push down while the Hammer is moving. This is something i haven't noticed that much on the NU1X. The Key Bed feels firm. It's not soft like the GFII Key Bed. The Let Off/Escape Mechanism is much more present on the NU1X Action so the NV5 Action feels a bit more grand like. It's easier to play near the Fallboard compared to the NU1X but not as easy as on the NV10 or the AG Grands. It's somewhere between them. The responsiveness is very good. I had no problems to settle in within a couple of minutes. The repitition is good but i don't think you can't reach a level which you can achieve with a grand action. I usually don't play very fast things so i'm not the best person to give a verdict about it.

Overall the feel is amazing. It's a bit lighter than the NU1X action. The Damper Mechanism works much like on the NV10. The Action is getting lighter a bit while holding down the Sustain Pedal.

3. The Sound:

Basically the Technology is identical with the CA-78/98 and NV10 so i don't have to talk much about it. The difference here is the Soundboard and Cabinet Design. While i had a bad experience with a CA-98 (2017) the NV5 does a great Job. The Soundboard adds a chunk of Realism which the NV10 lacks imho. The Bass notes are Growling like a Beast. There is no boxy Sound or Hiss, either in Pianist- or Soundmode. I can't clearly say why it sounds so good compared to my CA-98 in the past. Maybe i had a faulty Unit or the Cabinet makes the Difference. In Comparison, the NU1X sounds a bit dated and tinny. I like the different Voices (especially the Sound Mode Ex Grand) through the Soundboard because it comes close to a real acoustic (nearly the closest of all Pianos i had played). The Vibrations the Soundboard gives are also a plus.

Summary:

The NV5 is a wonderful instrument. It does a great Job on (nearly) all fronts. The Build Quality is superior, it looks amazing. The Key Action is great. The Sound Production is one of the best i've ever experienced on a digital (including the N3X). The only thing i have to complain is the Sustain Pedal. It's awkwardly heavy (similar to the NV10). Is it worth the money? It depends... if you have no problems with upright actions then yes. If not then go for the NV10 or the new CA99 which is basically an NV5 with a grand like action. The NV5 beats the NU1X in almost all Areas but you have to keep in mind that the NU1X is basically an updated model from 2013 and it costs a third less.

We will see how long it lasts but at the moment i'm very happy with it.

[Linked Image]

Last but not least, the most important thing:

The Action isn't as slient as a GFII but my family didn't woke up last night due to the mechanical noise. (whew!)

Feel free to ask. wink
Posted By: lovelovemale Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 01/18/20 02:31 AM
Awesome man! You are one lucky dude! congratulations!

I am wondering: Since it got a soundboard like the CA98... is it ok to stand directly so close at the wall? It won't muffle the sound?

Thanks for your update on this issue since I have to put my CA 98 a little away from the wall to get the best sound possible!

Greets and congrats again!
Posted By: Pete14 Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 01/18/20 02:39 AM
Beautiful instrument! The beginning of the end?
Posted By: robinlb Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 01/18/20 02:56 AM
Congratulation Tyr!
Envy you, you must be very happy with it.
I remember saying in the previous post that the pedal on Novus is adjustable by Kawai technician?
Posted By: David B Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 01/18/20 04:21 AM
The NV5 is one sexy looking instrument. Congratulations.

God bless,
David
Posted By: JoBert Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 01/18/20 08:08 AM
Looks great! On the photo, at first glance, one just sees a piano - period. Not a digital piano, but "just" a piano.
And I can see the shared genes with the NV10, in respect to cabinet design.

Happy for you that you finally found a Kawai sound you like (and I'm hoping for you that it's not just now, during the honeymoon phase).

Looking forward to see if you, or someone else, explores the options for modding the pedal firmness with this model too...

P.S. Oh, and may this thread here live long and prosper! 🖖
Posted By: Boboulus Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 01/18/20 08:44 AM
Looks so amazing!

Congratulations on finally getting it to you home.

This was for sure the piano I want in the future. The CA99 looks nice but it’s not in high gloss and I kind of feel that if you are paying that amount of money you want something special like a mechanical hybrid action.

I hope (but doubt) that Kawai will release a FW update to the NV5 to give you the latest benefits of the CA79/99 updates. Manufacturers in other industries do update their older modes if possible by hardware to the newer features.

Again congratulations!! 😄
Posted By: U3piano Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 01/18/20 08:50 AM
Great read from someone that has that much experience with top dp's, thanks for the review.

I can't wait to try one. I liked the NU1x I tried once, so I think it's pretty impressive if the nv5 "beats" that in nearly every way.

I have to say Kawai really stepped their dp game up in the last couple of years, and they now offer truely great choice between the nv5 and the ca99. (and nv10 of course, but I have a hard time taking a price tag like that serious.) But, it does come with quite the pricetag.

I wonder if (or when) Yamaha has plans to come with something new, and what that would be. The recent top dp's are coming to a level which i think is pretty exciting, with their real or close to real actions, soundboards etc.
Posted By: johanibraaten Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 01/18/20 09:29 AM
Congratulations Tyr, and thank you for your review! From a design prespective I think this is the most stellar DP I have ever seen. Wery nice looking with the slim profile while still beeing true to the acoustic role model. One question; how is the key noise compared to the NV10 or the NU1X (except from your family not waking up:))?
Posted By: JoBert Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 01/18/20 09:29 AM
Originally Posted by Boboulus
The CA99 looks nice but it’s not in high gloss

Just FYI, the CA79 and CA99 are both available in what you call "high gloss". It's called "Ebony Polish" by Kawai. That's the same finish as the NV5 (and NV10).
Posted By: CyberGene Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 01/18/20 09:53 AM
Congrats, looks very beautiful!
Posted By: Boboulus Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 01/18/20 12:45 PM
Originally Posted by JoBert
Originally Posted by Boboulus
The CA99 looks nice but it’s not in high gloss

Just FYI, the CA79 and CA99 are both available in what you call "high gloss". It's called "Ebony Polish" by Kawai. That's the same finish as the NV5 (and NV10).

Aha cool didn’t see that. Thanks smile
Posted By: ˆTomLCˆ Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 01/18/20 01:48 PM
Looks great. Tyr, Congratulations. No doubt this will be a best seller.
Posted By: 9190 Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 01/18/20 02:19 PM
Looks good except for those metal hinges on the folding part of the lid that you didn't put down.
Posted By: Maartin Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 01/18/20 02:45 PM
Cool NV5 video here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoxMEhARmjI
Posted By: Pete14 Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 01/18/20 03:33 PM
Again I ask, the beginning of the end?

I’m beginning to think that strings are overrated. You simply cannot get this kind of sound from a similarly sized upright acoustic. You’d have to go much taller, and, therefore, much more expensive.

Did I mention that this NV5 beast is basically maintenance free? Yeah, that means no greasy piano tuner showing up at your doorsteps to tune both your piano and your wife (my wife left me for a piano tech/tuner). I’m still hurting, and I will never again feel comfortable around piano technicians. cry
Posted By: LarryK Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 01/18/20 03:40 PM
Originally Posted by Pete14
Again I ask, the beginning of the end?

I’m beginning to think that strings are overrated. You simply cannot get this kind of sound from a similarly sized upright acoustic. You’d have to go much taller, and, therefore, much more expensive.

Did I mention that this NV5 beast is basically maintenance free? Yeah, that means no greasy piano tuner showing up at your doorsteps to tune both your piano and your wife (my wife left me for a piano tech/tuner). I’m still hurting, and I will never again feel comfortable around piano technicians. cry

How can any of us know what this piano actually sounds like in a room when we’re listening through our phones or computer speakers, lol. As others have pointed out, that guy is a stride piano player and he pounds on every piano he meets. Somebody ask him to stop.

I don’t think digital pianos putting their sound through speakers will ever equal the sound of a hammer hitting a string, that’s my opinion.

Maintenance free is not all it’s cracked up to be if you don’t like the sound.

My tuner is not greasy, sorry yours stole your wife. You shouldn’t have left her home alone. Here is John Prine singing about your fate:

Posted By: Pete14 Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 01/18/20 03:41 PM
laugh
Posted By: lovelovemale Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 01/18/20 04:11 PM
I still don't understand how the NV5 can be placed directly at the wall considering it has a soundboard, in fact the same soundboard as the CA 98 which cannot be placed so close to the wall.

Any infos on that anybody ?

Thanks!
Posted By: U3piano Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 01/18/20 04:19 PM
Originally Posted by lovelovemale
I still don't understand how the NV5 can be placed directly at the wall considering it has a soundboard, in fact the same soundboard as the CA 98 which cannot be placed so close to the wall.

Thanks!

Wouldn't that just be a matter of just placing the piano a couple of inches from the wall, same as an acoustic upright?

I can imagine it would matter a little less compared to an acoustic, since just a part of the sound comes from the soundboard on a nv5.

In the picture i can see there is some space between the wall and the nv5. Btw Tyr what a lovely space that is for a piano, it seems to be designed to place one!
Posted By: lovelovemale Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 01/18/20 05:02 PM
Originally Posted by U3piano

Thanks!

Wouldn't that just be a matter of just placing the piano a couple of inches from the wall, same as an acoustic upright?

I can imagine it would matter a little less compared to an acoustic, since just a part of the sound comes from the soundboard on a nv5.

In the picture i can see there is some space between the wall and the nv5. Btw Tyr what a lovely space that is for a piano, it seems to be designed to place one!

Yes but in the picture TYR has placed it right at the wall. And he is not complaining about muffled or boxy sound. Yet this was one of the major issues with the CA 98, I have one and I also had to place it couple inches away from the wall. I wonder if the NV5 can be placed right AT the wall like on TYRs picture.

It's just weird since it is using the exact same technology

confused
Posted By: Tenor1 Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 01/18/20 05:05 PM
Thank YOU for such a comprehensive review and enjoy your new piano.
Posted By: MacMacMac Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 01/18/20 05:22 PM
It's not weird at all ...
... in the picture Tyr has placed it right at the wall. And he is not complaining about muffled or boxy sound. Yet this was one of the major issues with the CA 98, I have one and I also had to place it couple inches away from the wall.

It's just weird since it is using the exact same technology.
All I see here is a difference of opinion. Some people hear "boxy", and some do not.

Lacking any quantitative observations there's nothing to say. Except: Judge for yourself.
Posted By: MarcBlux Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 01/18/20 10:32 PM
Hi, I am new on the forum, and started to learn piano as my first instrument only one year ago.
Started with korg grandstage and headphones with a fine amplifier. The sound of the german sample, steinway, is excellent.
But I was frustrated by the huge gap in touch with the piano at school. As I live in an appartment, I decided to buy either a n1x or nv5.
Went to a shop in Paris where both were exposed and thankfully a good player was testing them. I also tried (when everyone was far enough, didn’t want to be ridiculous playing Alfred lesson 22). I found the sound much richer on the nv 5 and liked the touch better.
In another shop in Germany, I could compare the nv5 to the nv10, to the k300 aures and to an acoustic sauter. The sauter was by far the best, then the k300.was excellent with rich bass. Nv5 was a bit flat compared to acoustic and aures, but touch was good and I anyhow have no option for an acoustic.
When the piano arrived at home, the technician played a minute and I found the sound awfull. Too loud, unbalanced.
I was amazed by the reactivity and dynamic range, but was missing the nice steinway sound of the korg.
Then I moved the piano forward by 20 cm and found the sound so much better. I liked best when not parallel to the back wall, but my wife found this awful. So I found a compromise with the piano parallel to the wall and 10 cm space behind.
I like the piano a lot.
It is still different from the acoustic upright at school : touch is harder, pedal is really hard (especially as I plan bare foot), sound is very good, except some notes which sound a bit artificial at low level, and bass is not as powerfull as an acoustic. But this is exactly why I couldn’t get an acoustic (weight and neighbors).
Thanks fr the nice advises on the forum
Posted By: JoBert Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 01/18/20 11:09 PM
Congrats Marc, on the new piano. May you have a lot of fun with it!

And nice seeing this thread take off, with already a second owner checking in. Hope there will be many more!
Posted By: robinlb Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 01/19/20 12:30 AM
Thanks Marc, hope this thread will grow.

K300Aures has a bigger soundboard and more transducers(4 vs 2) than CA98/99/NV5, so should have rich mid-low frequency.
I guess tne next generation of NV10(NV11?) will probably have bigger soundboard speaker than 3rd one of Kawai at present.

Actually, if we can get a complete units including four transducers and their AMP, we can even modify them to K-series or other upright AP eek but need external sound source input from line-in.
Posted By: Tyr Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 01/19/20 01:32 PM
Thanks @ all and Congratulations MarcBlux for your Purchase.

The Position wasn't final in the pic. I had to move the Piano because i wanted connecting the sheet light and now it's roughly 10cm away from the Wall. It doesn't changed much the sound. I think it's also important which type of Wall you have. Some have Plaster Boards or Wooden Panels which can have a positive or negative effect. Imho the Bass is very good and suited perfectly for Home use.
Posted By: Kawai James Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 01/20/20 01:28 AM
Tyr, thank you very much for sharing your thoughts on the NV5.

Your piano does look terrific in that picture - that space is ideally suited to the instrument's dimensions too.

By the way, if you feel that the damper pedal is a little stiff, please contact Kawai Europe for assistance.

Kind regards,
James
x
Posted By: MarcBlux Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 01/20/20 08:52 PM
Originally Posted by Tyr
Thanks @ all and Congratulations MarcBlux for your Purchase.

The Position wasn't final in the pic. I had to move the Piano because i wanted connecting the sheet light and now it's roughly 10cm away from the Wall. It doesn't changed much the sound. I think it's also important which type of Wall you have. Some have Plaster Boards or Wooden Panels which can have a positive or negative effect. Imho the Bass is very good and suited perfectly for Home use.

Hi Tyr,
Acoustics of the room plays a major role indeed. I guess I would never have a Steinway sounding great in that room. However impossible to reach that room and would be like feeding pigs with marmelade ( french expresiion ;)). There are many different sounds of acoustic pianos, takes a bit of time to get used to each signature. What is amazing with the Kawai is the feeling, responsiveness, dynamics. Now that I got used to the sound, I like it a lot as well.
In other words, I must spend much more time in practicing than in reading on the forum, from now on wink
Marc
Posted By: CyberGene Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 01/20/20 09:03 PM
It would be nice if any of you proud NV5 owners could record a demo 🎹
Posted By: Boboulus Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 01/20/20 09:15 PM
Originally Posted by CyberGene
It would be nice if any of you proud NV5 owners could record a demo 🎹

I second that! smile
Posted By: MarcBlux Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 01/21/20 03:06 PM
I only have half (rather 3%) of the ingredients required for a demo. I have the good piano but I miss the good player.
Posted By: JoBert Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 01/21/20 03:11 PM
Where's the point of a demo if its recorded via line-out or to a USB stick?
The sound that it would produce is well known by now (see CA78/98 and NV10).
Posted By: CyberGene Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 01/21/20 03:55 PM

Although from a purely sound point of view that holds true, a demo can show how the piano responds to touch, etc., for instance it's often apparent that a piano is too sensitive with velocities jumping around. Also, an upright action might be challenging to play without fully releasing keys which can reveal in trills, etc. I know it all depends on the player and his level, of the repertoire and how adapted he is to his instruments of course, etc... But it's a demonstration that's better than nothing and can still show a lot. A piano is not just its sound.
Posted By: Boboulus Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 01/21/20 04:25 PM

There is also very little content to be found on YouTube or other places so every little piece of information and demos is very interesting.
Posted By: MacMacMac Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 01/21/20 05:06 PM
What's the point of a mic'd live-air recording if ...
Your speakers don't match those of the piano?
Your room doesn't match that of the recording venue?
Where's the point of a demo if its recorded via line-out or to a USB stick? The sound that it would produce is well known by now (see CA78/98 and NV10).
Posted By: Gombessa Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 01/21/20 05:24 PM
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
Where's the point of a demo if its recorded via line-out or to a USB stick? The sound that it would produce is well known by now (see CA78/98 and NV10).

You could still judge it against your experience with recordings and live listens of real acoustic pianos, or just enjoy the authentic reverb/ambiance afforded by whatever environment the piano is sitting in. A bit part that sets the NV5/CA99/Aures apart is the speaker/soundboard system, and you just don't get that with a recording straight out of the tone generator.

Also, fake/algorithmic reverb is one of the noticeable and illusion-breaking elements of DPs for me, which is why I find Garritan CFX so compelling (the far mics make the environment part of the instrument).
Posted By: JoBert Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 01/21/20 05:42 PM

As far as I'm concerned, no point at all. But as Gombessa's post shows, not everyone thinks so, so what do I know? 🤷‍♂️
Posted By: CyberGene Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 01/21/20 05:59 PM
I think everybody speaks and asks about different things...

- I wanted to see the playability of the piano: too far fetched to judge from a video of another player but still better than nothing.
- JoBert assumed I wanted to hear only the sound of the piano which is the same as the CA78/98 and NV10, hence it doesn't make sense, so why should anyone bother
- MacMacMac is as always dismissive about anything (sorry mate, don't take that as an insult but that's the truth ;)), this time about why bother recording a digital piano with microphones if it won't be recorded in Abbey Road studios by the best recording engineer with best microphones and preamps perhaps laugh
- Gombessa thinks that any recording with microphone is actually worth it because it will give you real ambiance (BTW I agree with that, remember AmyC who recorded her N1X through an iPhone and everyone commented how real it sounded)

Well... 🤦🏻‍♂️
Posted By: MacMacMac Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 01/21/20 06:19 PM
This was not my intended point.
MacMacMac is as always dismissive about anything (sorry mate, don't take that as an insult but that's the truth ;)), this time about why bother recording a digital piano with microphones if it won't be recorded in Abbey Road studios by the best recording engineer with best microphones and preamps perhaps laugh.
I'm not vying for the finest mics in the finest studio. Quite the opposite.

My point is this: for evaluation purposes, it makes sense to take a recording of the raw audio output of the piano or VST under consideration.
Your listening equipment (phones, speakers, room) will color the results, of course.
But if you instead listen to an mic'd recording of the piano/VST, then you're adding yet another layer of coloration. This offers nothing ... and, instead, it hampers your ability to evaluate the piano.
Posted By: CyberGene Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 01/21/20 06:32 PM
This was not my intended point.
MacMacMac is as always dismissive about anything (sorry mate, don't take that as an insult but that's the truth ;)), this time about why bother recording a digital piano with microphones if it won't be recorded in Abbey Road studios by the best recording engineer with best microphones and preamps perhaps laugh.
I'm not vying for the finest mics in the finest studio. Quite the opposite.

My point is this: for evaluation purposes, it makes sense to take a recording of the raw audio output of the piano or VST under consideration.
Your listening equipment (phones, speakers, room) will color the results, of course.
But if you instead listen to an mic'd recording of the piano/VST, then you're adding yet another layer of coloration. This offers nothing ... and, instead, it hampers your ability to evaluate the piano.

That's true but then we go into JoBert's consideration about this particular piano engine of NV5 confirmed to be exactly the same as in NV10 and CAX8 which we already know well from online audio/video demos that are recorded straight to a USB drive. Which is why that's not interesting. But a recording from a microphone will be a new thing since it will add real reverb to the digital sound. Since we already know well the uncolored sound, we can judge how the real reverb (however cr*ppy it is due to the size of the room and the wrong placement) changes the sound that we know.

But I didn't even want to hear the mic-ed sound. I'm OK with the well known Kawai Rendering Engine sound from the USB drive. I wanted to see how a real person plays the real NV5. Not stock demos that have been MIDI-ed and edited too much.
Posted By: VladK Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 01/21/20 07:44 PM
Originally Posted by U3piano

Thanks!

Yes but in the picture TYR has placed it right at the wall. And he is not complaining about muffled or boxy sound. Yet this was one of the major issues with the CA 98, I have one and I also had to place it couple inches away from the wall. I wonder if the NV5 can be placed right AT the wall like on TYRs picture.

It's just weird since it is using the exact same technology

confused

Looking at the floor/baseboard level, it looks like the piano is placed 3-4 inches away from the wall.
Posted By: Kammerklang Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 01/21/20 08:14 PM
Yes
This was not my intended point...

That's true but then we go into JoBert's consideration about this particular piano engine of NV5 confirmed to be exactly the same as in NV10 and CAX8 which we already know well from online audio/video demos that are recorded straight to a USB drive. Which is why that's not interesting....

I believe its not true that "another layer of coloration added by miced recordings" will hamper your ability to evaluate the piano. I think the opposite is true. In fact any real surrounding of an instrument provides a layer of coloration, and the very interesting thing about this is, that you are able to recognize the sonical identity of an instrument or a personal voice even if you put that same person (or that same instrument) in very different surroundings. And you dont even need high quality recordings, think of your telephone: it doesn't matter wether your mum or dad calls from a shoping mall, the beach, a church, the kitchen or whatever, you will immediately know who is calling you.

The reason is a scientific investigated phenomenon called perceptual constancy (which also applies to other senses and perceptions for instance orientation in space, perceiving colors at different daytimes and so on) . It is not well understood how your brain is able to generate specific chararacteristical sonic distinctive marks of an object, and uses them to identify that object in any surrounding. (If we would know better, Roland i.e. could prepare an "even better" modeling of the pianosound and all other manufacturers wouldn't need to record samples any more....)

The more different surroundings you get to know with the same person speaking or the same instrument soundig, the better your inner acoustical image of that object gets, the better your brain's representation or your "knowledge" of its sonical footprint will be. So here are some examples of the videos of a danish pianocenter (digitalpiano.dk webshop, I am not related to them and I am not in the proverbial corner) that always chooses miced videos, which I think can be realy helpful to listen and compare NV5, NV10, NU1x, N1x, CA 9.. and so on:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Hu5MFJpELwM

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hxj3Ot_QQJw

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mWadIZ8chgc

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1g01PPsdqdw
Posted By: Kammerklang Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 01/21/20 08:31 PM
Please don't mind the bad deep room mode at a specific bass frequency in the first link. It all adds to the realism of that unprofessional recording and proves the authenticity of the perhaps disadvantageous position of the piano and the camera mic in this showroom . You will learn to filter it out and sperate it from the NV5 :-)
Posted By: Tyr Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 01/21/20 08:33 PM
I'll try to provide a Video. I'm nowhere near a "good" Pianist nor i have recorded anything yet. wink
Posted By: Kammerklang Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 01/21/20 08:37 PM
That would be great. We will also learn to filter out your imperfect pianistic skills ;-)
Posted By: CyberGene Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 01/21/20 08:38 PM
These are indeed interesting comparisons and I think I have watched all of them including the NV5.

I think the N1X might have been recorded in mono, sounds really bad, maybe an old phone. The NV5 sounds best although I can hear the boomy bass that I don’t like in the CA series as well as the bass-guitar like lower notes lacking high overtones.

BTW, the NV5 is definitely the best looking piano. I also loved the NU1X in a similar way. There’s something really harmonious in an upright cabinet unlike these ugly hybrid grands.
Posted By: Kammerklang Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 01/21/20 08:45 PM
Couldn't agree more... smile And that is why I am in favour of microphone recordings. The more I can listen to, the better my personal impression seems to get, and that also seems to prevent disappointments when I someday can playtest the real thing...
Posted By: Tyrone Slothrop Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 01/21/20 09:59 PM
Originally Posted by Kammerklang
I believe its not true that "another layer of coloration added by miced recordings" will hamper your ability to evaluate the piano. I think the opposite is true. In fact any real surrounding of an instrument provides a layer of coloration, and the very interesting thing about this is, that you are able to recognize the sonical identity of an instrument or a personal voice even if you put that same person (or that same instrument) in very different surroundings.

MacMacMac is right because you need a microphone with perfectly neutral frequency response to not add additional coloration, yet the typical condenser mic, for example, will have a frequency response which is not ideal:

[Linked Image]

This is not the "frequency response" of your ears, but gets added to frequency sensitivity of your ears and further transforms the original sound.

This microphone frequency response is added to the frequency response curve of the DP's speakers. So there is a lot of sonic transformation in producing the sound (via speakers) and then recording it.
Posted By: CyberGene Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 01/21/20 10:18 PM
Tyrone, it isn’t about flat frequency response and scientific measurements. It’s exactly about hearing the piano in any possible way: flattering or destructive. If helps the brain see it from many angles. This doesn’t have any scientific value about the sound at all. But neither is listening to line out demos. Unless you plan to play a piano through the same chain you listen the demo, if has nothing to do with how a digital piano will sound through its speakers at your home in its location. I’m not saying this cr*ppy phone recorded demos need to be taken seriously smile Have you listened to bootleg recordings from e.g. classical concerts? Do you say to yourself: man, this piano doesn’t sound like a piano?! No, your brain knows how to exclude that and you still hear piano and enjoy the music. I listen to a lot of the old piano masters such as Alfred Cortot, Ignaz Friedman, etc and some of the recordings are from the 30-s, awful sound but I can still appreciate and feel how the piano has reached its current state, the sound is already that of a modern grand, the one we know today even though it’s mono and heavily distorted.
Posted By: Tyrone Slothrop Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 01/21/20 10:43 PM
Tyrone, it isn’t about flat frequency response and scientific measurements. It’s exactly about hearing the piano in any possible way: flattering or destructive. If helps the brain see it from many angles. This doesn’t have any scientific value about the sound at all. But neither is listening to line out demos. Unless you plan to play a piano through the same chain you listen the demo, if has nothing to do with how a digital piano will sound through its speakers at your home in its location. I’m not saying this cr*ppy phone recorded demos need to be taken seriously smile Have you listened to bootleg recordings from e.g. classical concerts? Do you say to yourself: man, this piano doesn’t sound like a piano?! No, your brain knows how to exclude that and you still hear piano and enjoy the music. I listen to a lot of the old piano masters such as Alfred Cortot, Ignaz Friedman, etc and some of the recordings are from the 30-s, awful sound but I can still appreciate and feel how the piano has reached its current state, the sound is already that of a modern grand, the one we know today even though it’s mono and heavily distorted.

I see. Fair enough. If you are only using the recordings for "recognition", then I guess you can record/listen every which way.
Posted By: MacMacMac Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 01/21/20 10:43 PM
And you're also hearing the room in which the recording was made. That might be an even bigger problem than the microphones.
And you're hearing the skills of the recording technicians! Perhaps that's the biggest sore spot. Top-notch people can do a great job. Other folks ... not so much.
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
I believe its not true that "another layer of coloration added by miced recordings" will hamper your ability to evaluate the piano. I think the opposite is true. In fact any real surrounding of an instrument provides a layer of coloration, and the very interesting thing about this is, that you are able to recognize the sonical identity of an instrument or a personal voice even if you put that same person (or that same instrument) in very different surroundings.

MacMacMac is right because you need a microphone with perfectly neutral frequency response to not add additional coloration, yet the typical condenser mic, for example, will have a frequency response which is not ideal:

[Linked Image]

This is not the "frequency response" of your ears, but gets added to frequency sensitivity of your ears and further transforms the original sound.

This microphone frequency response is added to the frequency response curve of the DP's speakers. So there is a lot of sonic transformation in producing the sound (via speakers) and then recording it.
Posted By: David B Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 01/22/20 06:22 AM
I tried to capture what I hear from my N1X using two decent condenser mics and I was not satisfied with the result. It ended up sounding muddy. However, I have no audio engineering skills whatsoever.

I do agree with Gene. I love seeing videos of people playing even if the recording doesn't accurately reproduce the sound. It still gives you a better sense of what the piano is like.

God Bless,
David
Posted By: pwl Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 01/22/20 11:27 AM
David -

Through my Sennheiser HD 598's I quite enjoyed this recording - and your playing!
Posted By: CyberGene Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 01/22/20 11:30 AM
David, this sounds really good and through my headphones it creates a realistic soundscape of how the N1X sounds live through its speakers.
Posted By: David B Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 01/22/20 01:03 PM
Originally Posted by pwl
David -

Through my Sennheiser HD 598's I quite enjoyed this recording - and your playing!

David, this sounds really good and through my headphones it creates a realistic soundscape of how the N1X sounds live through its speakers.

I don't remember if I ever listened to the recording with my headphones on (Sennheiser 58X). I'll have to give that a try when I get home. I feel like the recording doesn't capture the details of the CFX multi-channel rendering. There is more clarity and complexity to the sound when hearing it in person. Although, perhaps it didn't turn out as bad as I thought it did.

God Bless,
David
Posted By: robinlb Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 01/22/20 01:19 PM
David showed us how important good playing skills and good recording are to a good DP laugh
Posted By: David B Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 01/22/20 01:31 PM
Originally Posted by robinlb
David showed us how important good playing skills and good recording are to a good DP laugh

Praise God for the late Duane Shinn. That song was from lesson 38 in his Crash Course and was pretty much his arrangement. His materials have truly been an inspiration to me.

God Bless,
David

P.S. Getting back on topic. We need some NV5 live recordings in the NV5 - hands on thread. smile
Posted By: Kammerklang Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 01/22/20 02:16 PM
Thanks David! I appreciate that aproach a lot more than all these prettified line out Editions of most of the proverbial demonstation videos.
If I had a wish free, I would like to listen to the same setup but monitor speakers turned off, N1x standalone onboard sound. Just for comparison😉
Posted By: CyberGene Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 01/22/20 02:29 PM
Thanks David! I appreciate that aproach a lot more than all these prettified line out Editions of most of the proverbial demonstation videos.
If I had a wish free, I would like to listen to the same setup but monitor speakers turned off, N1x standalone onboard sound. Just for comparison😉

David can confirm but I think in that recording he didn't use the monitors, only the N1X internal speakers?
Posted By: Kammerklang Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 01/22/20 02:55 PM
In that case I would like a video with the external monitors in use... 🤗
Posted By: David B Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 01/22/20 03:59 PM

David can confirm but I think in that recording he didn't use the monitors, only the N1X internal speakers?

That was all N1X (no monitors).

Someone suggested I should have the mics closer to the speakers, but I was trying to capture what I actually hear. I did try a recording with the mics closer to my ears, but I didn't notice much of a difference. If I was recording the NV5 I might try putting a mic closer to the soundboard to try and pickup some of those vibrations.

God Bless,
David
Posted By: navindra Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 01/23/20 06:48 AM
Originally Posted by David B
Praise God for the late Duane Shinn. That song was from lesson 38 in his Crash Course and was pretty much his arrangement. His materials have truly been an inspiration to me.

He died? Sorry to hear that. Are his courses ended?

Your playing and musical expression is very inspiring. Did you really learn all that from the course?

What amazing dividends that course has paid off for you, congrats!
Posted By: Tyrone Slothrop Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 01/23/20 06:52 AM
Originally Posted by navindra
Originally Posted by David B

He died? Sorry to hear that. Are his courses ended?

His son is still selling the original videos, so this means, no his course(s) has(have) not ended.
Posted By: David B Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 01/23/20 07:21 AM
Originally Posted by navindra

Your playing and musical expression is very inspiring. Did you really learn all that from the course?

What amazing dividends that course has paid off for you, congrats!

Thanks.

It's all from Duane's course. I started playing the piano a few years ago from scratch. I had a little experience with another self-paced/taught course but I found it almost totally useless in the end. I learned about Duane's course through this forum, took a chance on the materials, and it turned out to be a great blessing. Any beginner who goes through Duane's course can learn to play. I'm certainly not gifted in any special way. It just takes time and practice. I wish I had more time to practice.

God Bless,
David
Posted By: lovelovemale Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 01/25/20 05:23 PM
TYR

are you till happy with your NV5 since you mentioned you are very picky and usually shortly after time you are not satisfied with most pianos you had so far.

Would be interesting to get an update smile
Posted By: alexPixel Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 01/30/20 11:21 PM
TYR

are you till happy with your NV5 since you mentioned you are very picky and usually shortly after time you are not satisfied with most pianos you had so far.

Would be interesting to get an update smile

@Tyr or any other NV5 user, would also be very interested to get some more user reports after some longer usage
Posted By: pppianomarc Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 01/31/20 04:50 PM
Originally Posted by alexPixel
@Tyr or any other NV5 user, would also be very interested to get some more user reports after some longer usage

I'm not Tyr, but I guess I have the longest usage so far (11 weeks). My opinion has not changed since then. I absolutely love the instrument. My fingers apparently do, too. They've become much more sensitive and I now notice all the slack in my teachers worn piano (which I didn't before).

I'm excited about it, and you may be too, but in the end the important message is that the NV5 delivers to its promises. Great real upright action, great aesthetics, great sound, quiet practice, small footprint. If that is what you want, the NV5 will not disappoint you.

See my previous opinions posted here, here, and here.
Posted By: Tyr Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 02/02/20 05:07 PM
I'm still in love with the NV5. After three weeks of playing, the action turns out to be one of the best i've ever played on a Digital. It's very close to the NV10 in Terms of Responsiveness and Touch. I don't mind that it's an Upright Action at all. Some People may notice the Difference on High Repition Pieces but i don't play this kind of Music so i can't give a valid Feedback about it. So i can fully agree on pppianomarcs Response.

Well done Kawai.
Posted By: lovelovemale Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 02/11/20 05:48 AM
Is the action in the NV5 also shorter than in the NV10?
Like the length of the wood is shorter or it’s the same length just a different mechanism?
What would you consider a high repetition piece?
It’s possible to play like trills without problems ?
Posted By: Kawai James Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 02/12/20 04:48 AM
Like the length of the wood is shorter or it’s the same length just a different mechanism?

Yes, I believe the key sticks used by the NV5's action are a little shorter than those used by the NV10. I think it's uncommon for upright piano actions to use shorter keys than grand piano actions.

Kind regards,
James
x
Posted By: JoBert Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 02/12/20 06:56 AM
Originally Posted by Kawai James
I think it's uncommon for upright piano actions to use shorter keys than grand piano actions.

*common
(excuse the correction, but without it the statement is confusing)
Posted By: Kawai James Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 02/12/20 08:16 AM
Thanks!

I think I intended to write "I think it's not uncommon...", which itself would have been a little confusing to begin with.

No need to apologise. wink

James
x
Posted By: pppianomarc Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 02/13/20 10:13 PM
What would you consider a high repetition piece?
It’s possible to play like trills without problems ?

The length is consistent with a quality upright action. Measured from where the key disappears inside the piano body, to the nearest row of balance rail pins, you have about 35-40mm I believe. The pivot point is related to these pins, but not necessarily at exactly that distance. I'm sorry I don't have a more precise number.

Being an upright action, you have to fully release the key before you can play it again. A (good) grand action is better for this type of use. But we're not talking about severe limitations here, many great pianists have studied on uprights. I know I am at least a decade away from "needing" an action upgrade. If you have to ask, you're probably in the same boat.

Here is a picture of the keys in the NV5:

[Linked Image]
Posted By: aokman Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 02/15/20 12:35 AM
Would anyone know who the dealer is in Victoria, Australia? The dealer who got me my Kawai CS11 said they can't help me as only 1 dealer is allowed to sell it lol...
Posted By: Kawai James Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 02/17/20 01:00 AM
Originally Posted by aokman
Would anyone know who the dealer is in Victoria, Australia? The dealer who got me my Kawai CS11 said they can't help me as only 1 dealer is allowed to sell it lol...

aokman, I believe it's best to contact Kawai Australia directly with this kind of query:

https://kawai.com.au/contact/

Kind regards,
James
x
Posted By: lovelovemale Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 02/23/20 03:08 AM
@TYR

Do your NV5 pedals make any squishing noises ? Still happy with your instrument ?
Posted By: Tyr Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 02/23/20 10:49 AM
No and yes Bud. smile
Posted By: tristan34849 Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 03/05/20 08:04 AM
Hello Tyr,
I’m deciding between yamaha NU1X and Kawai NV5, According to NU1X specs It has smooth release feature (when releasing keys slowly damper Touches slowly to string and sound decay is different) , which as I have read NV5 is lacking, so does this make any difference or can you really fell that feature on NU1X?

P.S. I’m 39 and this will be my first piano (at the moment I don’t know even how to play), I was at the shop, but have no idea what a good or bad action should feel like, youtube videos are selling pitches and not real review, so this forum is my last hope.
Posted By: MacMacMac Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 03/05/20 08:23 AM
Maybe bring along your piano teacher (or anyone with piano experience) to help you evaluate pianos?

As for the "smooth release feature" ... don't get lost in the "features" and the marketing nonsense. Feature-itis is a distraction from what's really important. You just need 88 keys that feel good and sound good.
Posted By: Tyr Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 03/05/20 02:13 PM
@tristan34849:

It doesn't make a difference really. The NV5 offers much more compared to the NU1X that it doesn't really noticable.
Posted By: terminaldegree Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 03/05/20 02:34 PM
Originally Posted by tristan34849

P.S. I’m 39 and this will be my first piano (at the moment I don’t know even how to play), I was at the shop, but have no idea what a good or bad action should feel like, youtube videos are selling pitches and not real review, so this forum is my last hope.

It's tricky, then. This forum has good information, but also a lot of posts where people are "hyping" what they own in order to feel validated. Since you don't play, you'll probably just get used to whatever action you buy. A couple years down the road, you are more likely to develop your preferences for touch. As far as tone is concerned, you can develop those preferences now, which are perfectly valid-- listen to some good acoustic pianos and see how they measure up against the hybrid vertical pianos. The control interfaces are, of course, different, and that may have a bearing on what you like better (in my case, I'd just find the settings I like initially and pretty much never change anything).

I do agree with Tyr and Mac that the "features list" from the marketing department is not what should make the decision, rather your eyes, ears, fingers, and checkbook...

In comparing these two models I had a definite preference for the pedal mechanism of one, while I preferred the action of the other. I was unable to compare the sound quality in a useful way, at least to this point.
Posted By: JoeT Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 03/05/20 06:59 PM

From my own experience I can tell you, that I didn't get any helpful advice pre-purchase of my first DP, neither on the Internet nor in shops. The echo chambers tried to get me on the path of buying MIDI controllers and PC software, while the stores tried to hook me on Casio keyboards.

I made a pretty good choice by accident by comparing specs from the "Comparison of Portable Digital Pianos under 1000 US$ - Buying Guide" which by pure luck lead to avoiding the worst actions and tone generators in that price segment. But only with years of experience playing various pianos I can now properly discern digital instruments and make informed choices.

So trial and error ist the process you have to go through as well. You can't trust anything.
Posted By: tristan34849 Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 03/05/20 08:55 PM
@Tyr @MacMacMac @terminaldegree @JoeT
thanks a lot Guys, I really do appreciate your advices
Posted By: tristan34849 Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 03/05/20 09:10 PM
Originally Posted by terminaldegree

I had a definite preference for the pedal mechanism of one, while I preferred the action of the other.

so which action do you prefer and why?? is it heavier or lighter etc??
Posted By: LucyAlis Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 04/20/20 05:27 AM
AHHHHHHH I've had my NU1 for 6 months now and I'm about ready to upgrade to one of these NV5s as soon as this whole pandemic mess is over. (It took me 6 months for the shorter note decay to start bothering me.) All of the reviews are so good!
Posted By: LucyAlis Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 04/20/20 05:30 AM
Hello Tyr,
I’m deciding between yamaha NU1X and Kawai NV5, According to NU1X specs It has smooth release feature (when releasing keys slowly damper Touches slowly to string and sound decay is different) , which as I have read NV5 is lacking, so does this make any difference or can you really fell that feature on NU1X?

Hi Tristan! This is probably a little late but if you don't even know how to play you're not going to notice the difference between these two pianos for like a year or two. Personally, I would start with something in the $500 to $800 range until you're sure you want to keep playing rather than sink in several thousand right off the bat as the resale market on these tends to be very small. (I like the Casio Privia range for beginners).

Unless you live near me. In which case, please buy the NV5 and lmk if you're re-selling if you decide this hobby is not for you =P.
Posted By: nbpf Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 04/21/20 06:33 AM
A very mundane question to NV5 (and NU1X) owners: are the front legs of the NV5 (NU1X) adjustable? Thanks, nbpf
Posted By: Gombessa Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 04/21/20 04:40 PM
Originally Posted by nbpf
A very mundane question to NV5 (and NU1X) owners: are the front legs of the NV5 (NU1X) adjustable? Thanks, nbpf

Adjustable? How so (what would you be looking to adjust)?
Posted By: U3piano Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 04/21/20 05:04 PM
are the front legs of the NV5 (NU1X) adjustable?

With enough force, i'd say yes they probably are. grin
Posted By: MacMacMac Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 04/21/20 05:44 PM
Legs must be adjusted to the right length. They have to be long enough to reach the floor. smile
(I think Abe Lincoln was quoted as saying that about his own legs.)
Originally Posted by Gombessa
Posted By: nbpf Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 04/21/20 07:53 PM

Their length, to cope with uneven floors. I live in an old flat and need a difference of about 15mm between the front and the back spikes of my floor standing speakers. My wife would like to to buy an nv5 or a nu1x and I anticipate that we will need adjustable legs to compensate for the uneven floor.
Posted By: Gombessa Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 04/21/20 08:30 PM
Ah, thanks for that. I'm not aware of ANY piano that has such a feature...I suspect you'll need to use a cushioned foot pad, caster cup or spacer?
Posted By: MacMacMac Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 04/21/20 09:00 PM
That much difference?
I live in an old flat and need a difference of about 15mm between the front and the back spikes of my floor standing speakers.
If you had said 1.5 mm ... okay.
But 15 mm over a span of the speaker spikes? Outrageous.
Fix the house! That's way out of spec.

It reminds me of the old nursery rhyme:
Code
There was a crooked man, and he walked a crooked mile.
He found a crooked sixpence upon a crooked stile.
He bought a crooked cat, which caught a crooked mouse,
and they all lived together in a little crooked house.
Posted By: nbpf Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 04/21/20 09:05 PM
Ah, thanks for that. I'm not aware of ANY piano that has such a feature...I suspect you'll need to use a cushioned foot pad, caster cup or spacer?
Interesting, thanks! I never owned or played a piano and thus I am completely ignorant on this subject. I understand that grand pianos typically have three legs and therefore no need for adjustable feet. But I would have expected upright pianos to have at least one adjustable leg. Many string instruments require a well defined contact with the floor, thus I thought pianos would be no exception. For speakers, adjustable spikes are mandatory. Depending on the floor, people use spikes, anti-spikes or something in between.
Posted By: nbpf Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 04/21/20 09:11 PM
That much difference?
I live in an old flat and need a difference of about 15mm between the front and the back spikes of my floor standing speakers.
If you had said 1.5 mm ... okay.
But 15 mm over a span of the speaker spikes? Outrageous.
Fix the house! That's way out of spec.

It reminds me of the old nursery rhyme:
Code
There was a crooked man, and he walked a crooked mile.
He found a crooked sixpence upon a crooked stile.
He bought a crooked cat, which caught a crooked mouse,
and they all lived together in a little crooked house.
I agree that 15 mm across 50 cm is outrageous but that's how it is! The slope decreases as the distance from the wall increases, as one would expect. It's not my house and getting a straight floor in ancient buildings is probably nearly impossible and/or terribly expensive. It's anyway not going to happen, hence my question.
Posted By: nbpf Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 04/26/20 04:20 PM
I would be grateful if those of you who have tried both the NV5 and the NU1X could elaborate a bit on the differences in the sound signature through the speakers.

As I mentioned in a previous post, my wife is about to buy a NV5 or an NU1X. She should be able to arrange an NV5 demo but she might be unable to compare NV5 and NU1X side-by-side.

I have watched a couple of NV5 videos with mic recordings lately. In some NV5 recording, I had the impression that the bass range was overpowered and that the mid range was a bit confused. I remember that I had the same impression when I listened to a Kawai digital piano with soundboard last year, I think it was a CS11 or a CA98. In that occasion, both my wife and myself found the sound a bit unnatural. Some video recordings of the NU1X suggest (to me) a more incisive sound, perhaps less rich but perhaps cleaner.

I am not a piano player myself, thus, please, take my remarks with a grain of salt. I understand that Kawai and Yamaha might have very different sound signatures and that any judgement about the sound quality of instruments very much reflects subjective preferences. I'm sure that my wife will be able to make up her mind. I am just trying to figure out whether the NV5 and the NU1X are trying to reproduce very different sound signatures or whether, according to your personal experience, one should rather expect to hear minor differences between the two. Thanks for your feedback, nbpf
Posted By: Tyr Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 04/26/20 11:12 PM
I owned the NU1X before. It has a fantastic Speaker Setup. The Sampling sounds a bit dated and very clean. The mids are thin and you have to play much louder against the Bass. This is some imbalance which can be optimised via App.

The NV5 Sound System is different due to the Soundboard. It creates a more natural and warmer Sound. The Bass is a bit muffled by default, which can changed via VT. In general the NV5 Sampling is much more detailed and has a lot of different voices to fiddle around with which gives more flexibility.

Last but not least: The key action of the NV5 is miles ahead to the NU1X one. Better Sensors, better balance. I forget it's an Upright Action (which has its limits in very fast repetition passages).

All I can say is: If affordable then go for the NV5. When not it's not a mistake to go for the NU1X. Both are perfectly fine but the NV5 has more to offer.
Posted By: nbpf Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 04/27/20 06:44 AM
Originally Posted by Tyr
I owned the NU1X before. It has a fantastic Speaker Setup. The Sampling sounds a bit dated and very clean. The mids are thin and you have to play much louder against the Bass. This is some imbalance which can be optimised via App.
Thanks for your feedback!
Posted By: darmoht Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 04/27/20 11:57 AM
This Saturday I was in the shop, actually because I wanted to test and buy a Kawai CA99.
But the sound was unbalanced between bass and treble, analogous to your description and much too weak for a slightly larger room.
So I played the NU1X which has a audibly better better speaker system. The NU was near a real acustic piano, bit IMHO with a little to clean sound. BUT then I tried the nv5 and was blown away. Believe me, this sound can't be transported in a video.
The whole cabinet vibrates and fills the room with sound. So I agree with Tyr 100%.
And yes I bought one.
Posted By: terminaldegree Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 04/27/20 12:28 PM
With the important disclaimer that we had a comparative sample size of 1, I (and another pro pianist) came to the opposite conclusion regarding the action performance from Tyr’s. However the NV5 pedal mechanism was definitely nicer, and yes, it will viscerally vibrate a lot in the bass if you turn it up a little. Couldn’t compare sound systems because of room placement, unfortunately.

This underscores the need for actually trying things in person (difficult right now, I know) and that we all have personal preferences. What works best for Tyr might be different than what I and another classical pianist (who own and play large grand pianos daily) want in a practice instrument. The forum “echo chamber” effect sometimes amplifies certain opinions as absolute facts...
Posted By: nbpf Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 04/27/20 03:02 PM
@Tyr, @darmoht, @terminaldegre: thanks for your feedback, very much appreciated! My wife should be able to try the nv5 this or next week. She hasn't played since 30 years, thus, I guess, she should be fine with either choice. We will see. We regularly attend concerts and listen to a lot of classical music with a good replay system. I understand that, in a given price class, the differences between replay systems are smaller than the differences between digital pianos of different brands. In spite of this, she is very often irritated by poor recordings and/or details that I do not even perceive. I anticipate that she will not want to play around with digital settings and options. She would go for an acoustic piano if that option was practicable. Hence my questions. I apologize if these were a bit off topic. Thanks again for replying, this forum is a great source of information. Best, nbpf
Posted By: Kawai James Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 04/28/20 02:56 AM
nbpf, if I can be of any further assistance, please feel free to send me a message.

Kind regards,
James
x
Posted By: Mickey_ Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 06/08/20 08:50 AM
Beautiful instrument! The beginning of the end?

As one member of this forum once famously said:

It never ends!

:-)

The NV5 is a gorgeous piano! I'm reading with delight that Tyr is still very happy with it.
Posted By: Pete14 Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 06/08/20 09:35 AM
blush
Posted By: Geoff G UK Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 06/11/20 11:21 AM
With the important disclaimer that we had a comparative sample size of 1, I (and another pro pianist) came to the opposite conclusion regarding the action performance from Tyr’s. However the NV5 pedal mechanism was definitely nicer, and yes, it will viscerally vibrate a lot in the bass if you turn it up a little. Couldn’t compare sound systems because of room placement, unfortunately.

This underscores the need for actually trying things in person (difficult right now, I know) and that we all have personal preferences. What works best for Tyr might be different than what I and another classical pianist (who own and play large grand pianos daily) want in a practice instrument. The forum “echo chamber” effect sometimes amplifies certain opinions as absolute facts...

A couple of questions, if I may

1. Does the "comparative sample size of 1" refer to just one experience of playing just one pair of instruments?
2. Your "opposite conclusion regarding the action performance" is rather cryptic. Can you elaborate on what you both thought were the differences, and the degree of difference, please? Preferably between the two hybrids, and in your view in comparison to an acoustic of a similar cost?

A more general thought is that there doesn't seem to be much mention on this forum that the Kawai is a lot more functional in terms of connectivity, and functionality than the NU1x. For example the Kawai has Bluetooth Midi, and multiple temperament options including a user temperament option. Not everyone will care about this limited aspect of the NU1x, but some really do as I understand it, and although the NU1x is an improvement on the NU1 in this regard, still consider the NU1x to be lacking in what should be expected in this respect for an instrument of this price and date.

Finally, can James or anyone comment on the availability of the NV5 these days? Is production keeping up with demand? This will obviously be a big factor in the price dealers can charge.
Posted By: CyberGene Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 06/11/20 11:38 AM
NU1X has USB audio interface that is lacking in NV5. This is a much more important and useful feature than Bluetooth MIDI which is useless for real-time playing.
Posted By: Pete14 Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 06/11/20 12:10 PM
NU1X has USB audio interface that is lacking in NV5. This is a much more important and useful feature than Bluetooth MIDI which is useless for real-time playing.

+1
Posted By: Tyr Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 06/11/20 12:16 PM
The Importance is based on your needs. If you are happy with the internal sampling, it's not important. It's a really useful feature for using a VST which makes ist darn easy to get good results.
Posted By: Geoff G UK Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 06/11/20 01:07 PM
Originally Posted by Tyr
The Importance is based on your needs. If you are happy with the internal sampling, it's not important. It's a really useful feature for using a VST which makes ist darn easy to get good results.

It being USB audio, rather than Bluetooth Midi, presumably? (And only of interest assuming you're not happy enough with the internal sounds of the NV5, presumably?)

Am out of date on this stuff, clearly, but will an external USB audio interface make up for this lack in to he NV5?

Also, if I understand correctly, that feature was added to NU1x in a firmware update, so could this possibly be added to the NV5 in a firmware update?

But maybe Bluetooth audio was not a good example. The NV5 does seem to have more voices, and generally a lot more useful tech facilities, than the NU1x doesn't it? Of course it depends if you want that stuff, but it does give a more full blooded DP set of options, doesn't it, by comparison?
Posted By: Pete14 Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 06/11/20 01:31 PM
Yamaha’s implementation of the audio interface was indeed an odd one.
For example, the Clavinovas’ got a ‘firmware’ update halfway through their cycle; which is not something Yamaha is known for doing.

For a feature like this, even if ready, Yamaha would simply wait for the next/new models simply to market the heck out of it. Among other ‘new’ features this would be another reason to compel customers into upgrading from the ‘685’ to the ‘785’.
To say the least, this took us all by surprise.

As for whether Kawai could do the same for the NV5 (add this functionality through a firmware update), this was heavily discussed ‘round here, and it seems like the answer is no; unless, that is, the hardware is already in place (very unlikely and presumably what Yamaha did), and a firmware update simply ‘activates’ this pre-existing feature.

Once again, this was an unexpected move by Yamaha (add/activate this functionality mid-cycle), but it was definitely a very welcome one.
Posted By: CyberGene Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 06/11/20 02:36 PM
Yamaha released firmware 2.0 for my MODX 6 last year and it added some major updates to it which was very unexpected. And then, a few days ago they released firmware 2.5 which added even more surprising features such as the ability to morph between 8 FM-X patches that are analyzed by a Machine Learning algorithm, there a color gradient square on the touch screen and you can draw path over the morph to program transition or slide your finger in real time similar to vector synths from the past. That’s so amazing and so untypical for Yamaha that I couldn’t believe my eyes. And it’s a 2 year old synth, so they could have release a new instrument instead. Where is this world going?!
Posted By: ˆTomLCˆ Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 06/11/20 03:01 PM

Bluetooth Midi works great for turning pages in Forscore. The left and middle pedals on the NV turns pages forward and backward. cool
Posted By: Pete14 Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 06/11/20 03:22 PM
Thank you very much, Sir, but I can turn my own pages!

The nerve of some ‘round here; as if I don’t have perfectly working arms and hands, suggesting a virtual page-turner of sorts!

What next, an app that’ll pedal for me? No thanks! My feet and legs are still working very well, and I can do this myself!

Where is this world going?! laugh
Posted By: CyberGene Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 06/11/20 03:38 PM
Originally Posted by TomLC

Bluetooth Midi works great for turning pages in Forscore. The left and middle pedals on the NV turns pages forward and backward. cool

Well, forScore can turn pages by using facial gestures through the iPad TrueDepth camera - following your head or your lips. Yeah, you'd look ridiculous but at least your two other pedals are free to use wink Besides, doing facial expressions while playing automatically makes you a virtuoso, didn't you know?!
Posted By: Mickey_ Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 06/11/20 03:43 PM
What next, an app that’ll pedal for me? No thanks! My feet and legs are still working very well, and I can do this myself!

Yeah, Pete14: but not all of us drive stick, so...
Posted By: Pete14 Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 06/11/20 04:41 PM
My bad!
Posted By: MacMacMac Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 06/11/20 05:48 PM
You might want to rethink this, Pete ...
Thank you very much, Sir, but I can turn my own pages!

Post objectifying women deleted.
Posted By: Pete14 Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 06/11/20 06:18 PM
Upon evaluation of the evidence presented by Mac, I am forced to reconsider my stance on page-turners. I most certainly wouldn’t mind having that piece of tech by my piano.

*sexist comment deleted*
Posted By: EPW Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 06/11/20 07:51 PM
Quote of sexist comment deleted.

No!
laugh
Posted By: Pete14 Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 06/11/20 07:59 PM
blush
Posted By: BB Player Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 06/11/20 11:38 PM
Let’s knock off the sexist comments or a bunch of people are headed for some time off.
Posted By: MiahLam Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 06/11/20 11:45 PM
Are Kawai NV5 or 10 made here in the USA or are they made in Japan and then ship to the customers?
Posted By: Kawai James Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 06/11/20 11:53 PM
Hello Lia,

Originally Posted by lialim88
Are Kawai NV5 or 10 made here in the USA or are they made in Japan and then ship to the customers?

These instruments are produced at Kawai's piano facility in Indonesia, and pass through both the acoustic and digital piano production areas.

Kind regards,
James
x
Posted By: Tyr Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 06/12/20 01:51 PM
Originally Posted by Geoff G UK
Originally Posted by Tyr

It being USB audio, rather than Bluetooth Midi, presumably? (And only of interest assuming you're not happy enough with the internal sounds of the NV5, presumably?)

Am out of date on this stuff, clearly, but will an external USB audio interface make up for this lack in to he NV5?

You can always playback the VST output via the Line-in Port. It requires a separate cable wired up between the sound source and the NV5. It's a bit more convenient on the NU1X because you only need the USB-to-Host Cable and that's all. I don't use a VST on the NV5 because the internal samples are good enough for me.
Posted By: EPW Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 06/12/20 02:01 PM
Yes you can get an external Audio Interface to use and route into the NV5. Yamaha was smart IMO do integrate this tech into their pianos as they have been making audio interfaces for a long time. Nice and convenient but I wouldn't make this the sole reason you get a Yamaha piano instead of a Kawai or Roland.
Posted By: CyberGene Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 06/12/20 02:03 PM
Originally Posted by EPW
I wouldn't make this the sole reason you get a Yamaha piano instead of a Kawai or Roland.
Indeed. Similarly, I wouldn’t mention Bluetooth MIDI as anything other than for comic effect.
Posted By: Otavio Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 06/12/20 02:28 PM
How it´s the stability and latency of Yamaha Steinberg asio driver?
Better than a budget usb soundcard?
Same level?
Posted By: EPW Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 06/12/20 02:51 PM
Steinberg is the creator of the ASIO driver standard that is used for low latency audio work and the drivers are very stable. Now are they the lowest latency drivers, no they are not but they are above average grade when looking at all the manufacturers of external USB audio cards.
Posted By: Gombessa Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 06/12/20 03:53 PM
I would really like to have a USB interface on the NV-10, but honestly speaking, I wouldn't be using it nowadays, since my VST laptop has been re-repurposed as a work video-conference system smile

So I'm getting to know the built in SK-EX Rendering sounds better, and man, they are really quite good. If there's one area of Garritan CFX that doesn't hold up, it's really the resonances.
Posted By: PapaJohn Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 06/12/20 04:03 PM
A question I wonder about is how well the usb interface will work in years 5-10 as opposed to years 1-3.
Posted By: Gombessa Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 06/12/20 04:31 PM
Originally Posted by PapaJohn
A question I wonder about is how well the usb interface will work in years 5-10 as opposed to years 1-3.

Any particular concerns? You mean, will we still be able to find devices with USB-A interfaces? Or will the audio transport protocols or bitrates becomes obsolete?

If there's anything I'll bet on, it's that DP makers won't suddenly jump to the forefront of latency-free wireless sound output, even with 10 years lead time smile
Posted By: EPW Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 06/12/20 04:44 PM

It is more if the operating system update screws up the USB Driver. Yamaha, Steinberg would have to update the driver then. So you never know what will happen. If I was really going to invest to do recording etc I would invest in a solid USB or better yet a Thunderbolt interface if my laptop had a TB port. RME Babyface Pro is a great USB interface with great support. Expensive but RME has been known to update drivers for their products that are over 10 years old. Plus RME has probably the best USB low latency drivers of all the manufacturers.

Now that I said that my needs are pretty simple and I'm looking at MOTU, Focusrite and Presonus interfaces. I want "Loop-Back" function smile
Posted By: Geoff G UK Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 06/12/20 05:38 PM
Originally Posted by EPW
I wouldn't make this the sole reason you get a Yamaha piano instead of a Kawai or Roland.
Indeed. Similarly, I wouldn’t mention Bluetooth MIDI as anything other than for comic effect.

Please pardon my present ignorance on things like that. As I said, I am out of date on these things at present, and as I wrote yesterday:

But maybe Bluetooth audio was not a good example. The NV5 does seem to have more voices, and generally a lot more useful tech facilities, than the NU1x doesn't it? Of course it depends if you want that stuff, but it does give a more full blooded DP set of options, doesn't it, by comparison?.
Posted By: CyberGene Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 06/12/20 06:11 PM
No bad feelings 🍻 I think a major advantage of NV5 is hammer sensors which eliminates any loud note issues as in the NU1X, although they say it’s fixed. On the other hand the key sensors in the NU1X are continuous and provide damper behavior similar to key-off but more advanced whereas NV5 only has a fixed release velocity. But then it has real dampers. And is slightly more expensive though. So they are relatively well priced and well positioned IMO.
Posted By: PapaJohn Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 06/12/20 10:34 PM
Originally Posted by EPW

It is more if the operating system update screws up the USB Driver. Yamaha, Steinberg would have to update the driver then.

Exactly. I don’t even know for sure if I’ll still be on OSX/Windows/Linux.
Posted By: MacMacMac Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 06/12/20 11:39 PM
And if they don't update the driver? Then what?
They'll lose sales, that's what.

Yamaha updates its MIDI drivers as needed.
And, until recently, they still offered the MIDI driver for Windows 98.

I think that's as long (or longer) than necessary.

Face it ... a piano and its accoutrements will be broken or obsolete (and unwanted or be firewood) long before you need worry about drivers.
Posted By: EPW Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 06/13/20 12:17 AM
Plus within a couple of years Thunderbolt Interfaces will be more readily available. This and almost all new computers will come with it now that it will be integrated into the new USB-4 standard.
What this means will be super-low latency audio for the masses. Now you will have to wait 2-3 years from now to see if I am right smile

So having the USB interface built in now is nice to have but I wouldn't make my purchase decision on it.

Peace
Posted By: MacMacMac Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 06/13/20 01:05 AM
USB is not relevant to latency. Thunderbolt is not relevant to latency.

Latency is in the Windows audio chain, not in the interfaces.
Posted By: EPW Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 06/13/20 05:32 AM

Sorry Mac but I disagree. Thunderbolt is basically PCI which has less Windows overhead compared to USB. Now RME has solved the latency issue but the cheapest interface is over $800.00.
My hope/dream is that with Thunderbolt being part of USB-4 next year we might see some lower cost Thunderbolt units that deliver stellar latency. I can dream can't I smile
Posted By: EPW Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 06/13/20 05:33 AM
Anyone going out to try a NV5 now that stores are re-opening. Seems like one heck of a piano.
Posted By: Mickey_ Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 06/13/20 09:06 AM
I did, yesterday. It's a wonderful piano indeed!

I'm afraid that, as a greenhorn in the world of pianos, I can't contribute anything else here. What I can say, though, is that I'd prefer the NV5 over the NU1X (which I could test-play as well) anytime.

My dealer told me that he has a waiting list; the next delivery is supposed to be in August. Apparently, this model is a very good seller.

And. It. Is. Beautiful.
Posted By: dima5222 Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 06/13/20 10:34 AM
Originally Posted by Mickey_
I did, yesterday. It's a wonderful piano indeed!

I'm afraid that, as a greenhorn in the world of pianos, I can't contribute anything else here. What I can say, though, is that I'd prefer the NV5 over the NU1X (which I could test-play as well) anytime.

My dealer told me that he has a waiting list; the next delivery is supposed to be in August. Apparently, this model is a very good seller.

And. It. Is. Beautiful.

I chose the NU1X. Both pianos are great.
The NV5 (immediately available for Eur 5600) has a firmer, more precise action. The sound was quite good.
I didn't like the TouchPad which wasn't responsive at all. And I don't need thousands of settings and sound (barking dog, falling autumn leaves. C'mon really? smile )
The NU1X (4300,-) has the better headphone sound. The sound through speakers is also very good,
The action, even though it's an upright action, allows easy playing.

And the main reason is I believe in Yamaha. I know I don't make friends with this but I have the feeling that every second thread in this forum is about an action problem on a Kawai piano.

And yes, the dogs and leaf thing is just a joke...
Posted By: U3piano Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 06/13/20 10:38 AM
Originally Posted by dima5222
And the main reason is I believe in Yamaha. I know I don't make friends with this but I have the feeling that every second thread in this forum is about an action problem on a Kawai piano.

I do also believe in Yamaha when it comes to build quality.
Posted By: Mikes_Attic Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 06/13/20 11:02 AM
I don't happen to have barking dogs or falling leaves on my NV5 ...
Posted By: Mickey_ Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 06/13/20 11:20 AM
Originally Posted by dima5222
I chose the NU1X. Both pianos are great.
The NV5 (immediately available for Eur 5600) has a firmer, more precise action. The sound was quite good.
I didn't like the TouchPad which wasn't responsive at all. And I don't need thousands of settings and sound (barking dog, falling autumn leaves. C'mon really? smile )
The NU1X (4300,-) has the better headphone sound. The sound through speakers is also very good,
The action, even though it's an upright action, allows easy playing.

I like the NV5's control panel a lot, the NU1X's... not so much. But hey, you are of course right: Both pianos are great! I simply preferred the NV's action and "feel" – which is highly subjective.

I'm glad you're happy with your choice, dima5222!
Posted By: Mickey_ Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 06/13/20 11:24 AM
Originally Posted by Mikes_Attic
I don't happen to have barking dogs or falling leaves on my NV5 ...

So... you don't play outside? :-)

(I guess dima5222 was kidding – and simply wanted to let us know that the NU1X's 15 voices is enough.)
Posted By: MacMacMac Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 06/13/20 11:39 AM
I use USB. I get 2 msec latency (end-to-end). And that's all in the Windows audio chain.
So what will Thunderbolt do for me? Speed of light couldn't do better. Sci-fi transwarp could not either.
You only get better when addressing the bottleneck. And windows audio buffering is the bottleneck.
It's not the interface. It's the audio chain.
Originally Posted by EPW

Sorry Mac but I disagree. Thunderbolt is basically PCI which has less Windows overhead compared to USB. Now RME has solved the latency issue but the cheapest interface is over $800.00.
My hope/dream is that with Thunderbolt being part of USB-4 next year we might see some lower cost Thunderbolt units that deliver stellar latency. I can dream can't I smile
Posted By: Mikes_Attic Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 06/13/20 11:39 AM
The extra features on the NV5 are great, such as the lesson pieces .. Czerny etc.. and drum machine with the metronome , but admittedly I only use 1 piano voice typically for practice.

If I want galloping horses and barking dogs I have them on my for sale Yamaha P250 ....
Posted By: Pete14 Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 06/13/20 11:46 AM
..Yes, but does it have roaring lions, that there P250?
Posted By: Mikes_Attic Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 06/13/20 11:52 AM
It does have a scream and a bird tweet ...
Posted By: CyberGene Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 06/13/20 12:41 PM
I must agree with the bit about Kawai reliability. It might be that Kawai pianos are more represented on the forum (or are they?) but I cannot just ignore the many threads about Kawai keyboard problems...
Posted By: Pete14 Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 06/13/20 12:52 PM
It breaks my heart to say this, but no, it has nothing to do with Kawai being ‘more represented’ on the forum; they have issues with build/quality control.
That being said, their warranty service is top-notch. They will resolve your issues no matter what; including giving you a brand new board if necessary. They do not insult your intelligence as Roland tends to do (“there’s nothing wrong; it’s all in your head”).

I sometimes wonder how this works out for Kawai, you know, all the expense involved with warranty services. Why not try to determine the main source of the problem (quality control, etc...) and just make appropriate changes there instead of spending -probably- much more in repairs down the road?

BTW, the whole “damaged in transit” doesn’t cut it for me. I believe there are bigger issues at play.

P.S.

I -still- love Kawai! smile
Posted By: MacMacMac Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 06/13/20 01:09 PM
I partly agree with you Pete. (But I'm saddened by the lack of sarcasm. Boo hoo.) smile

But it's not quality control. It's quality culture.
Quality is not a department. It's not a place where things gone wrong get fixed.
Rather, quality comes from involvement in EVERY activity inside a company.

As for Kawai ... if what you say is true (that they use after-the-fact service to compensate for poor quality) ... that's a faulty (and expensive) model.

And it's stunning that a Japanese company doesn't understand that.

Read Edwards Deming. He taught the Japanese how to do it right in the 1950s. And they had stunning success.
But perhaps the lesson has been lost. Will they ever have that recipe again? (MacArthur Park) smile
Posted By: Pete14 Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 06/13/20 01:18 PM
Kawai needs to take that course: Edwards Deming 101!

They can deny it all they want, but there’s a systemic problem there. I agree with you Mac, there seems to be a lack of involvement on their end. I mean, the top honchos at Kawai must be aware of these ongoing problems, yet nothing seems to improve.

P.S.

Once again, I love Kawai (no really, I do). wink
Posted By: U3piano Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 06/13/20 01:20 PM
If Kawai has a higher number of problems with their actions, compared to say, Yamaha, wouldn't that only be logical? I mean, they are also much more innovative, in their acoustic actions as well as digital actions. I do really like their take on this, and really appreciate their whole grand feel type of actions, with long wooden keysticks that work in a seesaw motion like acoustic actions, etc. These actions are constantly improving, while Yamaha sticks to only the standard plastic folded action type that are reliable but seem to improve just incrementally over the years. (I'm not trying to say they aren't good, obviously many people like the nwx in the p515, for example.)

I respect Kawai for providing digital pianists with great options between plastic folded actions and real actions. And I think with innovation comes a higher problem rate, but as long as the customer service is great, which it seems it is, I prefer their take on things over Yamaha's.
Posted By: Pete14 Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 06/13/20 01:23 PM
You know what they say:......with long wooden sticks come long responsibilities!
Posted By: LuxPerpetua Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 06/13/20 01:25 PM
Forgive my ignorance - can an NV5, as opposed to NU1X, not be hooked up to a Mac running a VST, with sound output to a DAC ? (Marantz HD-DAC1 in my case) ?
Posted By: Pete14 Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 06/13/20 01:26 PM
Oh, oh, I know this one: Yes!
Posted By: Gombessa Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 06/13/20 01:55 PM
Originally Posted by LuxPerpetua
Forgive my ignorance - can an NV5, as opposed to NU1X, not be hooked up to a Mac running a VST, with sound output to a DAC ? (Marantz HD-DAC1 in my case) ?

Yep. It sounds like you're just asking whether the NV5 can output MIDI, which it certainly can.
Posted By: LuxPerpetua Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 06/13/20 02:04 PM

Yep. It sounds like you're just asking whether the NV5 can output MIDI, which it certainly can.

Let me ask this way - what’s the advantage of the NU1X having a USB audio interface with firmware 2.0 ? That the piano itself puts out the VST sound as opposed to having to go to, like in my case, a headphone amp/DAC ? if of course the amp/DAC is better it would not be an advantage for me, unless latency were an issue ?
Posted By: CyberGene Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 06/13/20 02:08 PM
Advantage is using only one USB cable to run MIDI to the computer and then audio back to the piano through the piano speakers or headphones plugged into the piano. But you can always use external audio interface, DAC, amp, external speakers. You can also feed analog audio in the piano line in to still use the piano speakers but there are often problems with ground loops and noises whereas the USB solution is all digital and noiseless.
Posted By: LuxPerpetua Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 06/13/20 02:12 PM
Thank you, CyberGene.

Sadly there was no NV5 on the floor to try out, “just” the NV10.
Posted By: Gombessa Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 06/13/20 02:17 PM
If you are using headphones, there isn't much advantage in the audio interface. It will never be faster than just outputting the headphones directly through the computer or your standalone audio interface.

The main benefit for the built-in audio interface is outputting your VST sound through your DP's speakers, since it allows you to get a digital signal into the DP rather than require a separate audio cable for line-in.
Posted By: LuxPerpetua Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 06/13/20 02:27 PM
If you are using headphones, there isn't much advantage in the audio interface. It will never be faster than just outputting the headphones directly through the computer or your standalone audio interface.

The main benefit for the built-in audio interface is outputting your VST sound through your DP's speakers, since it allows you to get a digital signal into the DP rather than require a separate audio cable for line-in.
Thanks!
How’d you compare the action between NV5 and NV10. I know the concept but how’d you describe it ?
Posted By: Alamo Music Center Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 06/13/20 08:45 PM
Hello everyone, great thread. Here is a video we made comparing the NV5 and CA99 Hybrid Pianos.

We also have individual videos on the CA99, the NV5 and the K300 AURUS
Posted By: Gombessa Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 06/13/20 08:58 PM
How’d you compare the action between NV5 and NV10. I know the concept but how’d you describe it ?
I've never had a chance to try the NV5 yet, so I imagine I'm as curious about it as you are!
Posted By: Mickey_ Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 06/13/20 09:00 PM
I like the videos! But you know that the mods removed the links from your last post, right? Might happen again here.
Posted By: Geoff G UK Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 06/18/20 04:25 PM
Originally Posted by Alamo Music Center
Hello everyone, great thread. Here is a video we made comparing the NV5 and CA99 Hybrid Pianos.

We also have individual videos on the CA99, the NV5 and the K300 AURUS
I see that one of the comments that someone made about this video is that the playing "is boring". I mention that because I must admit that I didn't enjoy it, and I found the chosen piece of music rather unpleasant to listen to.
I think you would do yourselves a favour to choose something that is more mainstream and better for showing off the sounds and expression of the instrument. With more dynamic range, more use of low and high registers, and well, just more interesting and less discordant.
So, sadly although I listened right through (about 30 minutes) to the end, I didn't enjoy it to the extent that, tbh, I was relieved when it ended.
Maybe others feel differently, but as you asked for feedback on the video, this is mine. Sorry I can't be more encouraging.
Posted By: nice2care Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 06/25/20 07:11 PM
Originally Posted by Tyr
For people who don't know me: I am one of the crazy people who are very very very pitty on everything about Digital Pianos. I've owned several Digitals (9 or 10 in total) in the last Three Years including the Kawai Novus NV10 and Yamaha NU1X Hybrids. Due to that I have a broad Experience about Yamaha and Kawai Models and every previous Model had something which i can't ignore hard enough to keep it more than a year. I was always seeking for the "perfect" Digital and i gave Kawai the 3rd try to convince me. So lets find out if it's a success. wink

Can I ask what was the thing you didn't like about NV10 and what made choose NV5 over it?
Posted By: MacMacMac Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 06/25/20 07:31 PM
What does it mean: "I am very pitty" ?
Originally Posted by Tyr
I am one of the crazy people who are very very very pitty on everything about Digital Pianos.
Do you have pits? Or what?
Posted By: Tyr Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 06/25/20 07:32 PM
Several unit related faults and the sound production in general (maybe also a unit problem). If the NV10 had been flawless like my NV5, I would have kept it.
Posted By: MacMacMac Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 06/25/20 10:38 PM
So "pitty" means "flawed"? Or what?
Posted By: nice2care Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 06/26/20 12:28 AM

I think he meant picky. Tyr would you please elaborate more. What sound production issues did you face?
Posted By: ˆTomLCˆ Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 06/26/20 04:39 AM
Pithy
Posted By: Tyr Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 06/26/20 05:32 AM
Originally Posted by nice2care

I think he meant picky.

You're right. Auto correction sucks.
Posted By: MiahLam Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 07/03/20 02:00 PM
Good morning. Could some recommend a pair of great headphones for Kawai NV5. Also, is NV5 has Bluetooth capability with a pair of wireless headphones? Thank you so much.
Posted By: JoBert Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 07/03/20 03:09 PM
Originally Posted by lialim88
Also, is NV5 has Bluetooth capability with a pair of wireless headphones?
No. Digital pianos do not use Bluetooth for headphones, because it has too much lag, which makes it essentially unusable for live playing.
Posted By: MiahLam Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 07/03/20 05:19 PM
Thank you for the reply :-)
My new Novus 5 arrived this morning, I am super happy. I bid goodbye to my old CA93. For some reason, the NV5 sounds a bit muffled than the CA93. I guess I will have to spend some time figuring it out the sound setting. I placed the NV5 about 20" from the wall and have the Wall EQ turned on. Any suggestions help, thanks :-) xoxoxo

Sorry couldn't figure out how to insert photos here :-(
Posted By: ˆTomLCˆ Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 07/03/20 05:37 PM
lialim. Wishing you many happy days with the NV5. Try turning Wall EQ off and see how it sounds. BTW, you may not need to be that far from the wall. Senn HD598's seem to be popular for Kawai pianos.
Posted By: MiahLam Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 07/03/20 05:39 PM
ok, will try that. Thanks.
Posted By: Mickey_ Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 08/01/20 10:50 AM
I've been following many Youtube channels for reviews, now there are only two left: Bonners Music (Tony) and Merriam Music (Stu). Sure, these are companies interested in selling the pianos featured, but at least, they give you some helpful information (and some nice demo recordings).

Merriam Music just released their NV5 review. Might be of interest to some of you?

Posted By: Mickey_ Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 08/01/20 05:45 PM
...and now they've added a (brief) piano sound demo.

Posted By: Kawai James Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 08/02/20 11:38 PM
Thanks for sharing Mickey!

Really great job from Stu Harrison, as always.

Cheers,
James
x
Posted By: U3piano Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 08/02/20 11:49 PM
That recording through the stereo mics actually sounds pretty good, I need to try this thing, along with the nv10.

Great playing as well.
Posted By: pwl Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 08/03/20 02:11 AM
I'm not saying the basic tonal quality of the mic'd recording doesn't sound good - it *is* pretty good. But there's some weird phase-y stuff going on, almost certainly related to mic placement. (I'm listening with headphones.)
Posted By: Mickey_ Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 08/03/20 09:36 AM
Really great job from Stu Harrison, as always.

I agree, James: His reviews, as well as his playing, are top-notch.

In this case, I also liked his more personal comments. Having a little one of the same age, I can fully relate to his constraints at home. :-)
Posted By: Tyr Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 08/03/20 09:46 AM
The switch between Microphones and Line-out is impressive. I wouldn't have noticed it without the tip in the Video.
Posted By: Del Vento Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 08/03/20 02:11 PM
I haven't tried the NV5 but it seems to me it's a really great instrument, of a much better caliper than the NU1x with which directly compete (I have an NU1 and I like it, but I am getting jealous). Disclaimer for people making buying decisions based on what I am writing: this is uninformed opinion.

If I had to raise one complain against the NV5 (besides the stereo mini-jacks that Stu mentioned in the review) it's the look. It really looks like the NU1, and that is not good. From a practical perspective, the music desk so low that is useless for adult players, and inconvenient for kids too (I put a book holder on the top of the cabinet of my NU1, yikes). From a differentiating perspective, the NV5 really looks like "copy-cat" of the NU1. It would have been really great if they gave it a K800 or 506N or UST-9 like shape and look (not necessarily dimensions), making it different-looking, more beautiful in my opinion, and more practical to hold sheet music.

That said, I still might end up owning one, one day.....
Posted By: Tyr Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 08/03/20 02:54 PM
It really looks like the NU1, and that is not good.

No, not even close.
Posted By: U3piano Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 08/03/20 03:03 PM
I think the nv5 looks great.

If I had to raise one complain it's that both the nv5 and nv10 don't measure key-off velocity. That's a shame, because if I would buy one of them I would use them to play my vst's as well, and would very much like to make use of the adaptive release samples libaries come with nowadays. I read most people saying it's not that important in the other nv5 thread, but I think it is, even when it doesn't make a big difference in sound when listening for it, it can only make for a more authentic playing experience, with the piano behaving differently according to the way you play it.

This makes the n1x the most interesting to me on paper, out of the hybrids, but I haven't really tried them yet. (nu1x has other issues with it's lack of hammer sensors, so not really interested in it.)
Posted By: Del Vento Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 08/03/20 03:28 PM
Originally Posted by Tyr

No, not even close.

Ok, I should have been more clear. For what I have seen in pictures and videos, it really look like the NU1. Sure, not identical, but pretty darn close. Heck, they even put the controls on the left, despite the majority of people being right-handed!!

Look:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Sure, there are small differences: the legs are connected to the body in the NU1(x) and not on the NV5, the latter is slightly rounded and has a longer music desk, but the similarities are striking. For example, they both have the same hinged fallboard lip and the exposed hinges on the fallboard itself when closed. Sure, many of these are common upright design looks (for example on the lower tier of Kawai K upright series) but Kawai being second to the game would have been smarter to play it different, and they can do it, see e.g.

[Linked Image]

or

[Linked Image]

In my opinion these latter two Kawai uprights look better and (most importantly) have a much more conveniently located music desk.

To keep context, as I said earlier, it still seems like a terrific instrument, this is a minor quibble, and it is common for acoustic uprights too, e.g. http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/1715168/1.html
Posted By: Gombessa Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 08/03/20 03:53 PM
Originally Posted by Del Vento
If I had to raise one complain against the NV5 (besides the stereo mini-jacks that Stu mentioned in the review) it's the look. It really looks like the NU1, and that is not good. From a practical perspective, the music desk so low that is useless for adult players, and inconvenient for kids too (I put a book holder on the top of the cabinet of my NU1, yikes).

I have to disagree with this, or rather, note that this is a rather personal thing. I personally don't really mind where the music rest is on a piano, but I note that it's easier for me to see/read on an typical upright's fallboard-mounted rest but that sometimes gets in the way of playing, compared to a grand's above-the-lid position.

But my young daughter absolutely hates the grand position, and wants the music as close to get fingers as possible. I've not only gotten a music rest accessory to lower the height, but also modified it to get it even lower. And where it is now is semi-permanent, so I end up using it as well.
Posted By: spanishbuddha Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 08/03/20 04:41 PM
Let's just agree to disagree. I also have an NU1 and think, based on photos of the NV5 that it looks slightly better, more elegant. I like the position of the music desk (ledge) on both the NU1 and NV5 but really like that the NV5 music desk is much wider. I too am keen to try one. I have tried an NU1X, twice, and have not been persuaded so far to upgrade. As an oldie I quite like the buttons on the NU1, and am wary of a touch panel interface such as on the NV5 (unless I can use an xBox controller via BT with it crazy ).
Posted By: Del Vento Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 08/03/20 04:56 PM
Originally Posted by spanishbuddha
Let's just agree to disagree.

Sounds good smile

As much as the buttons vs touchscreen goes, I actually would prefer buttons too. So we do not totally disagree laugh

But then you would need too many buttons for the sheer number of options the NV5 provides, so I did not list that as "the second other thing I do not like about the NV5".

Yet, the NU1 is pretty solid, and while I am eagert to test the NV5 and perhaps after the test desire even more an upgrade, as a matter of fact I am happy with the NU1 for now and could continue to be so for a while....
Posted By: Tyr Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 08/03/20 05:03 PM
Originally Posted by Tyr

No, not even close.

Ok, I should have been more clear. For what I have seen in pictures and videos, it really look like the NU1. Sure, not identical, but pretty darn close. Heck, they even put the controls on the left, despite the majority of people being right-handed!!

Look:

An upright digital has a distinct form which all have the same basic layout. The NV5 is 10cm taller than the NU1, more slim and less angular. The CA99 is way more similar to the NU1 than the NV5. When you see one in Reallife you will notice the differences pretty easily. wink
Posted By: CyberGene Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 08/03/20 05:16 PM
I’m a bit of a “virtuoso” pianist, not in the sense of having virtuoso technique (which I seriously lack 😢) but rather because I tend to theatrically throw my hands up and down in the air (I don’t do it intentionally and i feel silly when I look at that in my videos 🤦🏻‍♂️) but what I’m saying is the upright piano note rests get in the way of my hands and I think I even hurt my finger once knocking it on the NU1X note rest. The one in the N1X on the other hand is a bit high and I need to look at my hands while playing so it’s another problem... No perfect world.
Posted By: Kawai James Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 08/04/20 02:08 AM
I have seen the NU1X and NV5 side-by-side. I personally prefer the appearance of the NV5.

I'm also personally not a fan of the "institutional" piano design, and would find the K-800 cabinet too tall for my apartment.

The NV5's design concept is to provide an acoustic piano keyboard action in the most compact cabinet possible, and I believe the instrument achieves this goal.

Kind regards,
James
x
Posted By: Del Vento Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 08/04/20 03:21 AM
I have seen the NU1X and NV5 side-by-side. I personally prefer the appearance of the NV5.

I'm also personally not a fan of the "institutional" piano design, and would find the K-800 cabinet too tall for my apartment.

The NV5's design concept is to provide an acoustic piano keyboard action in the most compact cabinet possible, and it achieves this goal.

Kind regards,
James
x

Thanks for providing this point of view James. Now that I live in the US (I used to live in Europe) I always forget about the space constraints.

I was certainly not advocating for the height of the K-800 which I agree would look too tall, especially if made thinner. Just the shape. In any case, look is definitely personal, but the "institutional" style would be convenient for the position of the music desk. Even if there is the occasional person that says otherwise, I think the position of the music desk on the lid is suboptimal: otherwise, why no grand piano has the music desk on the lid, where it would be very easy to place and would make listening to the instrument much more pleasant?

Anyway, I will refrain from insisting on this, at least until I can see an NV5 in person, which may be a long time partly because of COVID and partly because my understanding is that these instruments are flying off the shelves (like there are shelves in piano galleries laugh ) and so there aren't any in stock nearby.

Cheers
Posted By: Lucubrate Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 08/07/20 07:46 AM
Not sure if This has already been posted

Performed on a NV5

~Lucubrate
Posted By: Gamma1734 Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 08/07/20 10:04 AM
If have been following this thread with high interest, thank you.
I had a very disappointing experience with the Kawai CA98, but indeed trying the NV5 and NV10
in a store but a big smile on my face. My "problem" is that as a student, the NV10 is really a problem with its high price, but the NV5 I could afford (somehow).

Ok, I play very fast pieces too. For example Kapustin's Toccatina Op.36, Ravel's Alborada del grazioso repetition passages or Gaspard de la nuit, Czerny's Op.299 School of velocity at the
written tempo marking (!), Alkan, Liszt, Chopin Etudes. Pieces of transcendental virtuosity.
Clusters in modern music, Renaissance harpsichord pieces (pianoteq). Bach, Mozart, Yann Tiersen and Andre Gagnon and then completely atonal russian avantgarde from fin du siecle.
Basically everything.

Of course there is never the perfect instrument but: Given that long list of styles,techniques,characters,...,
will I notice over long time a significant upgrade in the (also simply on a psychological level) control I have while playing,
from the nv5 to the nv10? I am talking about "that" feeling of feeling superior playing the piano while playing virtuosic pieces and
completely "trusting" and "cooperating" with the keyboard in all the extremes of the music demanded from
the player, which I have been honestly longing for years. The ca98 (for me) was like the opposite of this feeling.
I always felt like arguing, discussing and fighting against it. Often I would stand up very upset in the middle of a piece and think "never will I play on it again".
(I think generally I do prefer lighter touch).
Or can NV5 completely satisfy this described feeling. Because often I don't "just play", but I take playing piano extremely seriously, or, I try to be a perfectionist often.
Posted By: Del Vento Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 08/07/20 01:43 PM
Originally Posted by Gamma1734
If have been following this thread with high interest, thank you.
I had a very disappointing experience with the Kawai CA98, but indeed trying the NV5 and NV10
in a store but a big smile on my face. My "problem" is that as a student, the NV10 is really a problem with its high price, but the NV5 I could afford (somehow).

I have not tried either Novus, and I am nowhere close to your extremely impressive repertoire and technique (congratulations!!!) but I am putting here my $0.02

The CA series has a "fake" action. We can argue if it's "good enough" for a purpose or not, but it's different than any acoustic piano. Both the Novus have a "real" action. We can argue if either or both have a "good" acoustic action (since there are a plethora of variations) but they are like acoustic instruments, action-wise.

To get where you are now, you certainly have played a number of acoustic instruments. Have you ever found an upright which was not only "unsatisfying" but also "bad and inadequate" for your playing, to which you reacted similarly to your CA98? Was that a Kawai upright? If yes, likely you'll have the same reaction with the NV5. If not, you will likely not (but no guarantee). Ditto for the NV10 and the Kawai grands.

Of course there's more: particularly the sounds and the "connection" between the sounds and the action which will be different than on acoustic instruments.

Another option: if you like some DIY, consider Cybrid (see a different thread in this forum about it)
Posted By: Gamma1734 Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 08/07/20 02:40 PM
Thanks for your comment, I will reflect on that. Indeed I tried the K200,K300 and K500 already and I was always quite happy with the touch. I thought to notice
a difference to the NV5 but I think that was because of the "connection" between the sounds, as you said it.

Thanks for the DIY tip as well; for the price of a NV10 I would already get a pretty nice used grand rather, but my situation is that
I will not be able to accomodate this for the next 2 years... Hence I am looking for a very reliable solution.
I also thought I am done with electronic instruments after the CA98 experience, but to be honest, playing very loudly and virtuosically on a
K300, say, was also pretty disappointing. It starts to sound kind of... confined very quickly. So apparently the NV5 seems really very suitable. Will have
to test it again (for like the 5th time) very extensively in the store (always searching for new stores, haha!).

The NV5 is also very new right? No need to fear a new model in the next year?
Posted By: Del Vento Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 08/07/20 03:45 PM
Thanks for your comment, I will reflect on that. Indeed I tried the K200,K300 and K500 already and I was always quite happy with the touch. I thought to notice
a difference to the NV5 but I think that was because of the "connection" between the sounds, as you said it.

Thanks for the DIY tip as well; for the price of a NV10 I would already get a pretty nice used grand rather, but my situation is that
I will not be able to accomodate this for the next 2 years... Hence I am looking for a very reliable solution.
I also thought I am done with electronic instruments after the CA98 experience, but to be honest, playing very loudly and virtuosically on a
K300, say, was also pretty disappointing. It starts to sound kind of... confined very quickly. So apparently the NV5 seems really very suitable. Will have
to test it again (for like the 5th time) very extensively in the store (always searching for new stores, haha!).

The NV5 is also very new right? No need to fear a new model in the next year?

You are most welcome. In exchange you can send me some karma to get 10% (or even just 5%) of your skills laugh

I think given the money involved (and their profit margin smile if you do not try to squeeze the price too much) the stores would not mind you testing it several times.

You do not have to worries at all about a new model from Kawai!! In the next year for the NV series?? Certainly not! There may be a competitor (Cybrid, if we push hard enough, LOL, but that's a DIY), but certainly not Kawai and unlikely from Yamaha too. Either NV will be the top of its category for a decade, I think (and certainly for several years if not a full decade).
Posted By: Gamma1734 Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 08/07/20 09:13 PM
Sounds good! Btw, about pushing the price, do you think 5% to push the price down is a lot too much or reasonable? Or rather 2,3 %
Because that would be over 300 dollar...
Posted By: Del Vento Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 08/07/20 10:15 PM
Sounds good! Btw, about pushing the price, do you think 5% to push the price down is a lot too much or reasonable? Or rather 2,3 %
Because that would be over 300 dollar...

Hard for me guessing what the margins are for your dealer, and if they are more of a "shoot-high and give you the discout" kind or the "advertise low to get people, but then don't bulge" one. Best way is to check what others around the world have paid for their NV5 (perhaps too new to get lots of statistics) or similar instruments (NV10 above all, but perhaps even CA-9x). See http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/1201029/digital-piano-prices-paid.html#Post1201029 for that information. If you are in an obscure location with high overhead, you will need to be resigned to pay more than the average. After all you are taking advantage of your dealer existence, and they need to make a living to exist. If you are in a popular location (when many similar instruments are sold) and with low fixed expenses for dealers, you might strike a deal closer to the minimum price paid by other, since they can spread their income among more buyers.

Best
Posted By: schismal Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 08/12/20 08:48 AM
I went to my local shop, primarily looking at the CA79/99. I'm used to a Roland PHA-50 action, and I was disappointed that the GFIII on the latest Kawai models just didn't feel like that much of a step forward. Better, yes, but they still feel like a digital piano action with all the artificiality that entails. I was expecting more, so there was some initial disappointment with the feel.

Then I tried the NV5, and it was just night and day. It felt like playing an acoustic. I was very biased against the "upright action," but the NV5 was hands down the best playing experience I've ever had on a digital. Sadly, there was no NV10 available for comparison.

Also, Kawai's soundboard is not a gimmick. The CA79 sounded empty compared to the CA99. I've played on a digital for so long that I wasn't even aware that I missed the vibratory feedback through the keys and pedals. Yet somehow, even though they're using a similar speaker setup, the NV5 sounded to me a little more full than the CA99. Is it $2-3k better for the sound and action? Eh, that's a personal choice. But I'd urge people not to be put off by the upright action in the NV5. In 5-10 years, all high-end digitals will be hybrids like the Novus series -- the playing experience is just that much better.
Posted By: Seif Maher Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 08/12/20 10:11 PM
Hello Everyone...

I am sorry for the long post...

I need your help please.

I want to buy a digital piano with the best action keys I can get. I am choosing between the NV 10, NV 5, and NU1X.

INTRODUCTION:

- I live in Kuwait, the options here are very limited. None of the pianos I am considering is on display. I tried every piano available on display in Kuwait to try to judge and make a decision.

- We have very strict travel restrictions, and it is totally unknown when I may be traveling to a city where I can try the models in mind. Either I want 6-12 months, or I buy based on the information I have.

- I talked to the dealers in Kuwait, and they have no intention to bring these models anytime soon.

- I will buy it from a store in Europe and have it shipped to Kuwait. That’s why I am sticking to a digital piano.

- I am fond of Pianoteq, and I intend to connect the DP to my mac via USB, then the line out of my audio interface to the DP’s line it. I don’t think I will use the DP’s internal sounds, unless I liked them more than Pianoteq’s Steinway Model D and the Steingraeber. smile

PIANOS THAT I TRIED:

- I tried the K200 and K300, and I liked the feel and the touch. It felt solid, and I enjoyed the time I spent on it.

- I tried the Kawai CS7 (Grand Feel) and the Casio GP500 (Bechstein action) and both felt too soft and closer and not as solid build like the K200.

Forgive my poor ability to describe this: The CS7 action key felt like it has a low and single resistance until it is pressed all the way down. Unlike the K200 and a typical acoustic action, that has a certain resistance until the mid-way, and then another resistance until the end of the travel distance. I like this feeling, and I didn’t find it in the CS7’s Grand Feel action. Is there a proper term to describe this mid-way clickiness or resistance?

- I tried Yamaha 645, 665, 685, and 695... They all felt terrible. As if the key travel distance was too short, there was a awkward clicky feeling when they are fully pressed. They felt far from a real acoustic piano action. Most importantly, I did not enjoy the time I spent playing them. I don’t think I would be happy playing these pianos.

- I tried the Yamaha U1 and JU109, and they felt OK, but not nearly as good as the K200. I tried the Yamaha C7X, and it felt really good.

PIANOS THAT I AM CONSIDERING:

NV 10:
- It has the Milennium III action that I am fond of (but the grand version), so I assume I will like it.
- I like it’s look, sound system, connectivity.
- I like it’s form factor. I can have my computer’s monitor above the piano at a decent viewing angle. It is easier to move when detached from the leg base.
- While I can afford it, I still believe it is very expensive.
- I don’t know how it’s action will compare to the K200/K300. If it is the same but a very little bit lighter/less resistance, that would be a dream come true.

NV 5:
- It has most of the benefits of the NV10 except the form factor.
- Do you think the action is identical to the K200/K300?
- Is it right to think of it as something that has 95% of the values of the NV 10, but for 60% of the price?
- If yes, I will be happy to save some cash, and I can live with the form factor of a typical upright.
- If the action of the NV 10 is superior to that of the NV 5, I will make the investment in the NV 10.
- Can you help me understand the difference between the actions? Since I am totally unable to try them out?

NU1X:

- While I was not happy with any digital piano from Yamaha, I am wondering if the NU1X’s real upright action would feel good.
- The only benefit of the NU1X is that it is 75% of the price of the NV 5.
- Saving money is not my priority, the best action is my priority. But if the NU1X and NV 5 are similar in the action quality, I am happy to save money.

Aures:

- Since I liked the K300, it maybe normal to go for the K300 Aures. But since I will ship it from Europe, it will cost a fortune, and it will not be covered by warranty, and I will have difficulty tuning and maintaining it on my own.
- Also when it’s time to go back to my home country, it was way much more difficult to ship an acoustic piano than a digital piano.

MY KIND REQUEST TO YOU
- Anyone of you who might have tried the models I mentioned, maybe able to help me decide.
- Should I go all the way up to the NV 10? Or save a little bit and get the NV 5? Is the difference in action worth an additional $3000, almost 50% extra?
- Again, saving money is a nice to have thing for me. But the priority is to get a great piano action.

Thank you so much in advance.

Seif
Posted By: Del Vento Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 08/15/20 01:55 PM
Hi Seif,
I have not tried all the model you mentioned, but I have tried the NU1 (which I own) and Kawai K200 (on a store) as well as several other uprights and grands (unfortunately not the U1 nor any Kawai grand). I did try the Yamaha Clavinovas and the Kawai CS and I agree, they are on a much lower league, so let's assume they do not exist for this purpose. FWIW, I also owned an upright piano and I now own a low quality grand.

I like the NU1 and I occasionally use it with PianoTeq demo as you describe, with a MacBook Pro. The improvement in sound is only marginal, so I don't do it often. The only advantage is that you can change the voicing, tuning and temperament which you can't do that much on the NU1. But not worth the hassle in my opinion.

In the past I had a Kawai CA piano and while the action was definitely not at the level of the NU1, from a software/sound point of view I think Kawai gets it better.

I am eager to try the Kawai NV myself, but I can't at the moment because of the pandemic. Given my experience which I summarized above, and what people who tried the Kawai NV and other instruments wrote (check e.g. the post right above yours), I think your best option is the NV5. Why?

- action, many have reported it better than the NU1x's one. In the end is a personal choice, but sensors at the hammers rather than the key arguably give it more connection to the attack sound (and less connection to the release sound, i.e. how to raise the dampers, but that's less important).
- soundboard (see post before yours)
- sounds (I know you said you want to use PianoTeq, but the NV5 has a great piano sound and many non-piano sounds which are useful, e.g. organs -- many dismiss that, but they are useful for harmony exercises, for baroque music, for jazz and many more things)
- cost

Why not the NU1x? I think you'd be quite happy with the action, but it's not perfect. Moreover, the speaker quality (which you'd use even with PianoTeq) is good, but not fantastic. Since money is no objection, why go there?

Why not the NV10? You do gain a slightly better action, but you lose the soundboard, and spend more. Plus it's heavier, so even more expensive/challenging to deal with given your current and future situation.

Why not the acoustic? Well, if you really want to go that route I'd first try an inexpensive one to hone your skill as a piano tuner. You can certainly learn the basic IF YOU WANT IT, but it needs wills and time. Do you have it? If so, that can be a viable route, but not starting from a mid-level instrument as you are thinking: you should start with something at the bottom (say Yamaha b1 or its equivalent in Kawai's line, possible second hand) to make sure you learn the skills on an instrument which you don't mind too much to damage.

Hope this helps.
Posted By: terminaldegree Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 08/15/20 03:11 PM
I am eager to try the Kawai NV myself, but I can't at the moment because of the pandemic. Given my experience which I summarized above, and what people who tried the Kawai NV and other instruments wrote (check e.g. the post right above yours), I think your best option is the NV5. Why?

Why recommend something you haven't tried yet?
Posted By: Pete14 Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 08/15/20 03:23 PM

Isn’t that what we do ‘round here?

Recommend or bash what we have not yet tried! grin
Posted By: Del Vento Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 08/15/20 03:24 PM

Excellent question, given that I clearly did not explain it correctly. I thought I did exactly in the snippet you quoted, but I haven't, so let me clarify.

Given the background (introduction) that Seif made and given what I know about digital and acoustic pianos myself, and given what I have heard from others on this forum and on public (youtube) and private (zoom) recordings, this is what I would do myself if I were in Seif's shoes (no decent instrument at the moment and more than enough money for the more expensive NV10): in that context buying a NV5 is what I'd buy myself (without having tried it, and having tried the NU1) given the limitations of current situation. Obviously, if there was opportunity to try in person (several times!!) all or at least most of the options, that would be the best before taking any decision. But since that is impossible for the time being and the alternative is nothing for now, wait for when the pandemic will be over, which may be a year or more, the NV5 is the best choice in my opinion.
Posted By: Harpuia Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 08/15/20 06:36 PM
Why one needs to learn how to tune if buying an acoustic piano? This doesn’t make sense to me unless there are no tuners around.
Posted By: schismal Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 08/15/20 06:37 PM
Well, even here, there are probably only a small handful of people who've played all of these. The shop I went to didn't have an NV10 or Aures on display.

I did try the NU1X, and the action felt nice. I think the NV5 was a bit nicer to play, but I think you're getting to the point where personal preference starts to overwhelm any objective differences. I imagine most would agree that both hybrids are a noticeable step up from even the best digital piano actions. I'll be honest: I didn't spend too much time on the NU1X because my partner and I both prefer Kawai's sound over Yamaha's (although I do quite like the Bösendorfer), and having a good on-board sound was important to us.

It sounds like Seif is asking if it's okay to "settle" for the NV5 over the NV10. I don't think that's the right way to look at it. The NV10 has a nice grand piano action, but it lacks the acoustic soundboard on the NV5, which others have said gives the NV5 noticeably more presence when playing live. So it's not a clear-cut upgrade, and the question of which is best will depend on your priorities. For me, the NV5 action felt very solid, very connected, and very expressive. And after playing quite a few speaker-only digital pianos, I think I would miss the absence of the soundboard had I gone with the NV10. Granted that we're still in the honeymoon period, but I have the NV5 in my living room and I couldn't be happier.
Posted By: Del Vento Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 08/15/20 08:21 PM
Originally Posted by Harpuia
Why one needs to learn how to tune if buying an acoustic piano? This doesn’t make sense to me unless there are no tuners around.

I guess that's how I interpreted Seif's text

Originally Posted by Seif Maher
I will have difficulty tuning and maintaining it on my own.
Also when it’s time to go back to my home country, it was way much more difficult to ship an acoustic piano than a digital piano.

which to me sounds like in that area there aren't tuners around (or at least not anybody trusty enough to hire, for somebody not native of the place)
Posted By: Tyr Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 08/16/20 08:27 AM
It sounds like Seif is asking if it's okay to "settle" for the NV5 over the NV10. I don't think that's the right way to look at it.

If you want a grand action at all costs, there is no choice between these two. The NV5 Action is excellent and i think she's good enough for the majority of pianists. I know that i won't be able to reach a level where the fast repetition of a grand action is needed so it's a question between "nice to have" and "need to have". Apart from the form factor (which i really miss) there is no other reason to choose the NV10 over the NV5. I have mine since January and i'm still happy without any regrets.
Posted By: U3piano Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 08/16/20 09:07 AM
Originally Posted by Tyr
The NV5 Action is excellent and i think she's good enough for the majority of pianists. I know that i won't be able to reach a level where the fast repetition of a grand action is needed so it's a question between "nice to have" and "need to have".

While I'm sure the nv5 has a fantastic upright action, and I agree that it's probably more than good enough for most pianists, It seems like people mostly just talk about repetition rate when comparing grand to upright actions, which is probably a mistake.

I'm no technician, nor do I have much experience with grand piano's, but I think from what i have learned, especially from this forum, is that grand actions offer more control compared to an upright action. And other than that, there's of course the gravity vs springs factor that could become an important factor especially over time, since gravity stays even at all times, while springs wear out, can be regulated, but will always be less even compared to gravity.

Long story short, I think grand actions offer advantages that are more important for most pianists than repetition rate, but to me it seems they are often overlooked, as people mostly talk about the repetition rate only.
Posted By: MacMacMac Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 08/16/20 09:40 AM
If I were spending large on a new piano (and I soon will be), I'd not choose a piano with an upright action.
The NV5 and NU1X are off the menu for me.
It'll be NV10 or N1X. Or one of their successors, if such exists next year.

Any of the above would be an improvement over my mid-2000s Clav.

But they don't make that crap anymore.
Today's choices are CLP/CA series, or upright "high-brid", or grand "high-brid".

The terraced choices seem like hamburger, double cheeseburger, or steak.
What I have now is less than hamburger. Only the steak is a worthy upgrade for me.
Posted By: Mickey_ Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 08/24/20 09:57 AM
Regarding availability: I know someone here in Switzerland who ordered an NV5 in June – and whose dealer has now told him that delivery will not be before December. Wow!
Posted By: schismal Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 08/26/20 11:36 PM
Recently, I've run several VSTs back through the NV-5's internal speakers. Ravenscroft, Modern U, Garritan CFX. I'm admittedly a VST novice, so hopefully these opinions aren't too provocative:

In terms of feel + sound, I actually prefer Kawai's SK-EX rendering engine over all of them. It sounds fantastic, and obviously plays perfectly. I haven't done anything other than enable the wall EQ.

Next is Garritan, which feels just as dynamically predictable as the native Kawai sound, basically right out of the box. The character of the CFX isn't my favorite, unfortunately, but the playing experience is fantastic. To me it sounds very neutral, almost reserved, compared to the more lively SK-EX. The half-pedaling is a bit more aggressive than Kawai's, but I might be able to modify that via software.

Third would be Ravenscroft, which I have a love/hate relationship with. It does have a very unique, beautiful sound -- its lower octaves come alive on this soundboard -- but I just hate how foreign it feels to play. The half pedaling occasionally does unexpected things, and it has required more tweaking than I was anticipating. Maybe I'll be more bullish once I figure out how to customize more settings and EQ down the piercing high octaves. I just wish I had this sound packaged in the Garritan software.

The Modern U plays and sounds like a fine upright. I thought I wanted an upright VST, but maybe I didn't. The sounds, the resonance, it all just feels a little bit more... limited? than any of the other options, so I'm not sure I'd personally ever load this up over the Garritan if I wanted a break from the Kawai engine.
Posted By: Otavio Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 08/26/20 11:50 PM
Originally Posted by schismal
Recently, I've run several VSTs back through the NV-5's internal speakers. Ravenscroft, Modern U, Garritan CFX. I'm admittedly a VST novice, so hopefully these opinions aren't too provocative:

In terms of feel + sound, I actually prefer Kawai's SK-EX rendering engine over all of them. It sounds fantastic, and obviously plays perfectly. I haven't done anything other than enable the wall EQ.

Next is Garritan, which feels just as dynamically predictable as the native Kawai sound, basically right out of the box. The character of the CFX isn't my favorite, unfortunately, but the playing experience is fantastic. To me it sounds very neutral, almost reserved, compared to the more lively SK-EX. The half-pedaling is a bit more aggressive than Kawai's, but I might be able to modify that via software.

Third would be Ravenscroft, which I have a love/hate relationship with. It does have a very unique, beautiful sound -- its lower octaves come alive on this soundboard -- but I just hate how foreign it feels to play. The half pedaling occasionally does unexpected things, and it has required more tweaking than I was anticipating. Maybe I'll be more bullish once I figure out how to customize more settings and EQ down the piercing high octaves. I just wish I had this sound packaged in the Garritan software.

The Modern U plays and sounds like a fine upright. I thought I wanted an upright VST, but maybe I didn't. The sounds, the resonance, it all just feels a little bit more... limited? than any of the other options, so I'm not sure I'd personally ever load this up over the Garritan if I wanted a break from the Kawai engine.

Should be an interesting experiment put Pianoteq to drive this soundboard.
Posted By: schismal Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 08/27/20 08:35 AM
Originally Posted by Otavio
Should be an interesting experiment put Pianoteq to drive this soundboard.

Might be worth downloading the demo. wink
Posted By: robinlb Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 08/27/20 02:21 PM
PTQ pro is an very ideal VST for all DP models with transducers and soundboard, better than sampling VSTs. And that's why Steigreaber chose it to experiment transducers mounted in their Grand piano.
But you'll need to tweak many of its parameters to get a stunning effect on your NV5.
Posted By: schismal Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 08/27/20 02:51 PM
Originally Posted by robinlb
PTQ pro is an very ideal VST for all DP models with transducers and soundboard, better than sampling VSTs. And that's why Steigreaber chose it to experiment transducers mounted in their Grand piano.
But you'll need to tweak many of its parameters to get a stunning effect on your NV5.
I downloaded the demo and played around for a little bit. The playability is stunning. Feels as responsive as the built-in sounds right out of the box.

I don't love the pianos so far, but I haven't tweaked any settings and only had time this morning to sample their prelude presets. The Steigraeber and Steinway B have potential. My initial thought (having not played with or researched PT much) is that while the dynamic range is quite nice, as you move toward fortissimo, all the pianos gravitate toward a similar metallic tone quality that I don't love. That said, the playability is so nice that I'll be searching the forum for recommended tweaks and seeing what can be done.
Posted By: Otavio Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 08/27/20 03:06 PM
Play with "condition bar"...5% to 15% gives a more realistic feel to it.
Find a fortissimo velocity that suits you better, maybe lowering the maximum velocity it a bit..
(Maybe in the Pro version you could change the eq for some velocity settings???)
Liked Bechstein a lot...U4 Tall it's really nice too.
Posted By: robinlb Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 08/27/20 04:14 PM
I downloaded the demo and played around for a little bit. The playability is stunning. Feels as responsive as the built-in sounds right out of the box.

I don't love the pianos so far, but I haven't tweaked any settings and only had time this morning to sample their prelude presets. The Steigraeber and Steinway B have potential. My initial thought (having not played with or researched PT much) is that while the dynamic range is quite nice, as you move toward fortissimo, all the pianos gravitate toward a similar metallic tone quality that I don't love. That said, the playability is so nice that I'll be searching the forum for recommended tweaks and seeing what can be done.

I like Bechstein and Bluthner on PTQ.
Of course, to get the best results, I tweaked almost everything I could understand, including the combination of multiple mics and fine-tuning notes by notes features. It has been used for nearly two months, and now it is satisfactory and suitable for my whole audio system including the soundboard of CA98.
I'm sure it will work better on your NV5 as well, but definitely the Pro version so you can have more EQ tuning options. I chose 96K/24bit software output with 192K/24bit of my DA decoder to make high tone smoother.
I think PTQ is a powerful creator of digital piano music. PTQ+soundboard can let your DP to feel like a real electro-acoustic instrument.
Posted By: Otavio Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 08/27/20 06:22 PM
It is possible to output only for the soundboard on CA and NV serie ?!
Posted By: navindra Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 08/28/20 12:02 AM
Originally Posted by Otavio
It is possible to output only for the soundboard on CA and NV serie ?!

No, this is not possible.

Your signal goes in via analog line-in, gets converted by the piano to a digital signal, is processed (to merge local sound and apply desired settings), then routed as analog to the various speakers/transducers.

There's no selective control over this.
Posted By: schismal Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 08/28/20 09:53 AM
I keep trying to like the Pianoteq sound, but I just can't. It's unfortunate, because it plays very well, and their software has a nice adaptive feature that lets you easily customize the velocity curve and half-pedaling functionality to your input device (a feature everyone should steal, frankly).

I still prefer the SK-EX rendering engine. The more I play with Garritan, the more I like it, though. I've needed to adjust the EQ to strengthen the lows and modulate the highs a bit. But it's good enough that I'll probably upgrade from Lite to the full edition at some point. Maybe after I install the pedaling tweak that's floating around the forum.

No matter what I adjust, I cannot get the Ravenscroft to work well through the onboard speakers. Which is a shame, because I love listening to it through recordings. VI tells me that they'll be updating the Ravenscoft to include all the features of Modern U, and I mighty try it again at that time. Maybe they'll even introduce an NV-5 preset.
Posted By: MiahLam Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 08/30/20 09:27 PM
Promise I would post my photos here. Don't know if photos will show. I received my new Kawai NV 5 July 20th.

http://forum.pianoworld.com//ubbthreads.php/galleries/3019486.html#Post3019486
Posted By: MiahLam Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 08/30/20 09:34 PM
[Linked Image]

I have returned my Kawai NV5 to the dealer after having it for more several weeks. The NV5 came directly from the warehouse where they received the piano. The keys didn't get regulated. I found the keys were-extremely heavy. I actually injured my thumb and wrist playing on this piano. I previously played on CA93 and the keys are about 52g but the NV5 weighs more than 132g on C4. The repetition on the keys are not good either. I hit on a lot of the keys with no sounds. IF I don't raise my finder far enough, a second hit on the note will not produce a sound. May be I am not used to the upright action. Since then I have returned the NV5 to a Kawai k500 Aures. It was a great decision. I love my piano now. Will upload the photos soon.
Posted By: Harpuia Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 08/30/20 09:53 PM
I previously played on CA93 and the keys are about 52g but the NV5 weighs more than 132g on C4.

This really does not sound normal. Have you checked with your dealer yet?
Posted By: ˆTomLCˆ Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 08/30/20 10:02 PM
Regardless, of any issues with the NV5. the Aures is a huge upgrade. Of course the price was likely double. Since you can obviously afford the K500 Aures, you probably would never have been satisfied with the NV5, once you had played the Aures.

Congratulations! You have a great piano now!
Posted By: MiahLam Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 08/30/20 11:38 PM
Thank you. I suspected the same, may be the dealer should have kept the NV5, let it acclimate to the environment, regulate the keys before delivering to me. You are correct, the k500 Aures was more than double the msrp of a NV5. But the key action is excellent. The keys are longer and it plays like a grand. The upper treble has duplex scaling and sounds amazing. Also the Neotex white and black keys are really nice to play on the fingers. I have the Aures now for 3 weeks and I am amazed the levels of differences between the two. Thank you for the replies :-)))
Posted By: Lucubrate Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 08/31/20 12:39 AM
Congrats on the K500 Aures!

~Lucubrate
Posted By: Otavio Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 08/31/20 12:48 AM
Since the string resonance on Aures line its on actual strings.
What happen if they are slightly out of tune with each other?!
Posted By: 88snowmonkeys Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 09/03/20 08:53 PM
VI tells me that they'll be updating the Ravenscoft to include all the features of Modern U

This intrigues me quite a bit! Hopefully they will also produce another grand with similar features. I have not purchased the Ravenscroft and I'm still debating whether its unique sound is for me.
Posted By: Gombessa Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 09/03/20 09:22 PM
Congrats on the Aures! Quite the impressive and worthy upgrade smile
Posted By: ˆTomLCˆ Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 09/04/20 12:00 AM
You should start a new thread: Kawai Aures Hands On. smile
Posted By: schismal Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 09/04/20 10:52 AM
Originally Posted by 88snowmonkeys
VI tells me that they'll be updating the Ravenscoft to include all the features of Modern U

This intrigues me quite a bit! Hopefully they will also produce another grand with similar features. I have not purchased the Ravenscroft and I'm still debating whether its unique sound is for me.

I'll definitely give it a second shot when they release the update. I find Modern U to be much more playable through the NV5 sound setup, but the lower range just sounds so anemic no matter what I do. It sounds empty compared to the others, and I just cannot. Meanwhile, the Ravenscroft has a beautiful low end, but overly harsh upper octaves and aggressive resonances that can sound quite muddy if they're not tamed. (Note this is my impression through the NV5 speakers/soundboard, the experience is a bit different through headphones).

I just tried the Noire, and I actually like it very much (hopefully my last VST for a while). It has a much more potent low end compared to the Garrison that reminds me of the Ravenscroft (in fact, the optional sub mic needs to be used with extreme caution or you'll quickly reach the soundboard's limits). The default sound is somewhat melancholic, but it can be easily brightened with settings, and the UI is much, much easier to adjust than any of the other VST's I've used. It also loads almost instantaneously. So far so good.
Posted By: Del Vento Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 09/04/20 12:32 PM
I just tried the Noire, and I actually like it very much

By "tried" do you mean purchased, right? None of these virtual piano have a demo versions that you can try before you buy, except PianoTeq, correct?
Posted By: schismal Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 09/04/20 12:54 PM
By "tried" do you mean purchased, right? None of these virtual piano have a demo versions that you can try before you buy, except PianoTeq, correct?

Correct, unfortunately.
Posted By: Frédéric L Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 09/04/20 02:20 PM
On bestservice.com, we can try some pianos with a VST which connects to this service and stream the piano sound. The latency is huge, but this can make it possible to hear what we play without paying the product.
Posted By: Del Vento Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 09/04/20 03:28 PM
Originally Posted by Frédéric L
On bestservice.com, we can try some pianos with a VST which connects to this service and stream the piano sound. The latency is huge, but this can make it possible to hear what we play without paying the product.

Very interesting, that would be terrific (as long as it uses my DAC and not the one on their servers, because I want to try the full stack of what I have). Yet, I am having troubles finding that option on their website. First, I was interested in Garritan and they don't have it. Same with Noir. Ok, let's try what they do have: https://www.bestservice.com/ravenscroft_275.html or https://www.bestservice.com/ivory_ii_italian_grand_update.html -- I see the option to hear demo clips or view instructional videos, or purchase the products. But I do not see the option to try them. Perhaps the option is not offered for all products? I did not find it for other random things I selected either. Or perhaps their server detects I'm on the other side of the world and does not give me the option? Or more likely I need new glasses and I did not see the button to push?
Posted By: Frédéric L Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 09/04/20 04:08 PM
See their piano page. https://www.bestservice.com/virtual_instruments/pianos.html

The little round icon with concentric waves inside indicates it can be tested :
- Ivory (full products not upgrade !)
- VSL Vienna Grand
- Galaxy Vintage D

See also https://account.bestservice.com/try-sound.html
Posted By: Del Vento Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 09/04/20 04:19 PM
Got it thanks!
Posted By: Northman Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 09/16/20 03:32 PM
Has anybody figured out what the key weight for the NV-5 is?

Wondering if its heavier or lighter then CA99?
Posted By: schismal Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 09/16/20 10:52 PM
From my (subjective) recollection, the CA99 felt lighter. But IMO, there’s more to the feel than just activation weight.
Posted By: Tyr Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 09/16/20 11:05 PM
Originally Posted by Northman
Has anybody figured out what the key weight for the NV-5 is?

72-80g on the middle C on my Unit.
Posted By: pppianomarc Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 09/16/20 11:56 PM
Originally Posted by Tyr
72-80g on the middle C on my Unit.

Sorry for jumping in "unprepared", but things tend to get out of hand quickly on this forum. In the past I had measured my unit and got different numbers. I didn't even press the pedal, which makes the numbers look "worse" (higher) than they really are. But still, they are "better" (lower) then 72-80gr. That's why I'm posting now, without redoing the measurements properly (with pedal pressed):

- Downweight <56gr in high register (without pressing the pedal)
- Downweight <62 gr on middle C (without pressing the pedal)
- Upweight >45gr on middle C (without pressing the pedal)

About the feel of the keys while you press them, the "resistance" peaks sharply around the let-off point. It's very easy to feel the let-off, contrary to some other actions where the let-off is more subtile (e.g. my teachers worn-out Yamaha upright). It makes the action feel crisp and firm, but maybe also a bit tiring initially when you come from a light digital. The best comparison I can come up with are the 80s style clicker kids toys (german: Knackfrosch). It's as if each key had a tiny one underneath.

Pieces with pedal feel "lighter" on weak fingers than pieces without pedal. The effect, while subtile on individual key presses, accumulates during a piece (or practice session).

For the record, I'm not saying the action is heavy. In fact, while the crisp let-off is more tiring than my previous CN37 (simple emulated let-off), the NV5 feels lighter overall. Mostly because the hammer(s) don't push up while I keep the note(s) down. On the CN37, the "resistance" peaks at the bottom. Pieces with chords or complex harmony cost less energy on the NV5 because of that. Also, the occasional repeated note, where I have to reverse a key down again while it is still coming up, is easier to do on the NV5. On the CN37, it sometimes feels like jumping from the 5m tower into a pool. Obviously, the NV5 has a slower repetition capability technically, but I never have to fight residual inertia of the hammer.

Marc
Posted By: MacMacMac Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 09/17/20 12:57 AM
This is not what I consider a virtue ...
Originally Posted by pppianomarc
About the feel of the keys while you press them, the "resistance" peaks sharply around the let-off point. It's very easy to feel the let-off, contrary to some other actions where the let-off is more subtile (e.g. my teachers worn-out Yamaha upright).
The letoff should be barely discernable.

Your teacher's piano isn't worn out. It's properly broken in.
Posted By: krab1k Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 09/17/20 04:40 PM
Dear PW members,

my new NV5 just arrived and I must say it's truly a beautiful instrument. However, there seems to be a problem with the action, as some keys (found two so far) are getting stuck. This happens quite often but not always (maybe more often when pressing a pedal). See the two linked videos:

https://youtu.be/-yM0o-o_ZVQ

https://youtu.be/NPxBk3PEBlg

I guess it might be caused by some mechanical parts being shaken during the transportation. Any ideas? As I am an absolute beginner having only played FP-10 before, I have no idea whether this can settle somehow on its own. Or should I contact a dealer?

Many thanks.
Posted By: ColoRodney Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 09/17/20 07:01 PM
Definitely contact a dealer.
Posted By: Del Vento Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 09/17/20 07:07 PM
Originally Posted by ColoRodney
Definitely contact a dealer.

Yes and tell them some keys are slow to return to position. I don't think what you showed in the video is what should be called "stuck" since the keys do move, just too slowly.
Posted By: OlafSw Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 09/18/20 05:20 PM
Hello,

I had the same problem with the C4 and C#4 key. The reason is a tightly fit of the Hammer axis. The hammer won't fall back immediatly.
In my case a piano technician fixed the problem in 30 minutes.
It's a common problem with new pianos. All the mechanical parts has to adapt together. And with 6000 parts, this can happen
Call your dealer that he send a technician to you..
Enyoy your NV5

Olaf
Posted By: Tyr Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 09/18/20 05:33 PM
My Unit has also some Keys not returning back fast but i'm too lazy to ask for a technician currently. laugh
Posted By: krab1k Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 09/18/20 06:44 PM
Originally Posted by OlafSw
Hello,

I had the same problem with the C4 and C#4 key. The reason is a tightly fit of the Hammer axis. The hammer won't fall back immediatly.
In my case a piano technician fixed the problem in 30 minutes.
It's a common problem with new pianos. All the mechanical parts has to adapt together. And with 6000 parts, this can happen
Call your dealer that he send a technician to you..
Enyoy your NV5

Olaf

Well, that was what I expected. After some misunderstandings with L1 support (it's a common problem, just remove the keyboard and send it to us...*facepalm*), they said they have only one Kawai technician in the country (approximately 200 km away from me, which is too much for him to travel) and the piano has to be sent back to the store... somehow. Head of the local store will contact me next week about the transport. Ironically, the transport is likely the cause of the problem, since this was the floor model and was therefore tested before. I expect some more "fun" next week. Hopefully, it will be resolved soon because the instrument is amazing (apart from that issue of course).
Posted By: ˆTomLCˆ Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 09/18/20 07:43 PM
If I was you, I would not remove that keyboard. I don't think you can just pull it out? Someone may know. There is too much that can go wrong. Call a local piano technician and see if he can fix it. If he says he can, ask Kawai service to reimburse you.
Posted By: krab1k Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 09/18/20 07:58 PM
I have no intention of dissasembling the piano on my own, trust me. :-) I guess the guy on the line had experience with some digitals that are assembled on site (as far as I know like some CA models without the soundboard) but this is of course another case. I will wait for the call for now and see what options they offer me.
Posted By: Tyr Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 10/05/20 07:55 PM
Originally Posted by Tyr
My Unit has also some Keys not returning back fast but i'm too lazy to ask for a technician currently. laugh

Okay, one of the b flat keys has stopped working. Seems that i have to beg for technician shocked
Posted By: CyberGene Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 10/05/20 08:14 PM
Originally Posted by Tyr
Originally Posted by Tyr

Okay, one of the b flat keys has stopped working. Seems that i have to beg for technician shocked
It's not returning at all, i.e. a regulation problem or it doesn't detect/produce sound?
Posted By: Tyr Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 10/05/20 10:11 PM
It seems it's not a mechanical issue. I'm afraid the sensor is dead.
Posted By: Tyr Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 10/06/20 10:12 AM
I've checked if the key sends midi data. Nope, it's dead.
Posted By: pppianomarc Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 10/29/20 11:09 PM
Originally Posted by Tyr
I've checked if the key sends midi data. Nope, it's dead.

Any updates about this issue?
Posted By: Tyr Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 10/29/20 11:39 PM
I'm still waiting for the technician.
Posted By: pianogabe Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 10/30/20 07:24 AM
Wow, that is almost 4 weeks for a serious problem on a new high-end digital piano! And that for only looking at it....
Posted By: Tyr Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 10/30/20 09:52 AM
Yes it sucks. I've got an e-mail response from kawai three weeks after calling my dealer that the technician will contact me within the next two days. After more than one week i had send another e-mail that i'm still waiting and got no response yet.
Posted By: MacMacMac Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 10/30/20 09:59 AM
Does the technician work for the piano dealer? Or is he an independent repair company?
If the latter, I'd contact him directly.
Also, I'd contact by phone rather than by email.
Posted By: Tyr Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 10/30/20 11:28 AM
Here in Germany i have to contact the dealer first. The dealer then has to contact Kawai to open up a warranty case. The technician is then assigned by Kawai.
Posted By: pianogabe Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 10/31/20 06:45 AM
I have something similar going on, but with a much less urgent problem. The logo on my piano is somewhat slanted. Not as bad as some earlier examples here on the forum but clearly visible. I contacted the dealer and they contacted Kawai mid-July, but I haven't heard from them tried again last week and the dealer was very surprised that Kawai hadn't contacted me yet. They urged them to do so last week. But still nothing.... There is no hurry in fixing a slanted logo of course, but having a dead sensor for a month that hasn't been even been looked at is much more problematic and worrying. I am based in the Netherlands, but suspect that Kawai Germany is involved. My piano is from a German distribution center.
Posted By: Tyr Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 11/06/20 11:57 PM
The Technician is coming on next Tuesday. I will report the result. smile
Posted By: aokman Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 11/09/20 01:33 AM
Almost over the NV5 fiasco frown

First get told by Kawai AUS that its not coming here and buy the NV10 instead... Now its magically listed for sale but I can only deal with one retailer that is the equivalent of a piano used car salesman. Cant get stock until Jan then tries to upsell me a Bechstein instead.

Im sure Kawai loves the brand loyalty by locking us into exclusive retailers who sell other brands also... Close to ditching the CS11 and moving to a different brand as this has all been so unprofessional. All I wanted to do is deal with my preferred Kawai reseller who sold me the CS11, is local and always given me stellar service. Apparently thats too much to ask?
Posted By: Del Vento Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 11/09/20 02:12 AM
Almost over the NV5 fiasco frown

First get told by Kawai AUS that its not coming here and buy the NV10 instead... Now its magically listed for sale but I can only deal with one retailer that is the equivalent of a piano used car salesman. Cant get stock until Jan then tries to upsell me a Bechstein instead.

Im sure Kawai loves the brand loyalty by locking us into exclusive retailers who sell other brands also... Close to ditching the CS11 and moving to a different brand as this has all been so unprofessional. All I wanted to do is deal with my preferred Kawai reseller who sold me the CS11, is local and always given me stellar service. Apparently thats too much to ask?

Send a PM to Kawai James and see what he advises you to do....
Posted By: aokman Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 11/09/20 02:47 AM
[quote=aokman]
Send a PM to Kawai James and see what he advises you to do....

Thanks, spoke to James a while ago who was helpful and put me on to Australia Kawai direct.

Unfortunately Kawai Australia’s presence seems to be a bit of a dogs breakfast. No one knew what was happening with the NV5 and even after that I can’t choose what retailer to work with frown
Posted By: Kawai James Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 11/09/20 08:03 AM
Hello aokman,

Unfortunately Kawai Australia’s presence seems to be a bit of a dogs breakfast. No one knew what was happening with the NV5 and even after that I can’t choose what retailer to work with frown

Kawai Australia recently expanded their NV5 dealer network, so it might be worth giving them another call to check the latest situation.

If you'd like me to place you in touch with a colleague at Kawai Australia directly, please feel free to send me a PM.

Cheers,
James
x
Posted By: aokman Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 11/09/20 10:40 AM
Hello aokman,

Kawai Australia recently expanded their NV5 dealer network, so it might be worth giving them another call to check the latest situation.

If you'd like me to place you in touch with a colleague at Kawai Australia directly, please feel free to send me a PM.

Cheers,
James
x

That is certainly great to hear as my information might be out of date now as I was working off the old contact details provided when I communicated last. When I visited the retailer they still claimed to have exclusivity to the Novus line in my state but probably just telling fibbs...

Ill get in touch with Keyboard Corner again and see if they have any luck this time with the distributor smile

Thanks again for the assistance smile
Posted By: Tyr Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 11/10/20 10:48 AM
The Technician arrived today and checked the sensors (with magic boot menu options) and they are all working. After that he made a full regulation to the keyboard because some keys haven't got their hammers fully returned when playing slowly. It's way better to play now.
Posted By: Gombessa Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 11/10/20 01:36 PM
Originally Posted by Tyr
The Technician arrived today and checked the sensors (with magic boot menu options) and they are all working. After that he made a full regulation to the keyboard because some keys haven't got their hammers fully returned when playing slowly. It's way better to play now.

Glad to hear you were finally able to get it fixed! I would not have been so patient as you (though with the pandemic I guess there's not much you can control).
Posted By: Kawai James Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On - 11/11/20 01:54 AM
Originally Posted by Tyr

Thanks for the update. Glad to hear that everything has been resolved.

Kind regards,
James
x
© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums