Piano World Home Page
Since my daughter suddenly ended up with a Yamaha P71 (which is just an Amazon-relabeled P45), I need to get her an inexpensive pair of open-back headphones which will work well with this entry level piano. I'd like to spend well-less than $100 because she couldn't tell the difference between her earbuds and my HD800s.... almost. LOL.

Any recommendations for a budget open-backed headphones with low impedance and high sensitivity for DP use?

(To see how my daughter suddenly ended up with a P71, see this post.)
I recommend Yamaha HPH200 open headphone, or Grado Labs M1.
Go to local best buy and have her try some.
Monoprice has a great selection of headphones ranging from $15 to $599 a pair; all are considered great values. They also have extremely good customer service and return policy.
Low-end headphones don't need a recommendation other than "don't".
But if you must ... just grab a plastic wrapped item off the shelf at Wal Mart.
There ... you asked for low-end and you got it. smile
Model 605055 (for only $29.99) might be all you need!
The Audio-Technica ATH-M20x is a pretty good cheap headphone. I've used it in my studio. You could also go with the Samson SR850. These are both decent studio headphones for less than $50. It might be worth going to an audio store and having your daughter try some on before you buy them though.
If her earbuds are wired, why not use them?

Why is "open back" required? You can get Sony MDR 7506 phones for less than $100.
Lowest model of Grado will sounds nice for a piano. SR60 for example but SR80 would be the best deal.
You can’t go wrong with Superlux.
Superlux hd681 evo
Originally Posted by CyberGene
You can’t go wrong with Superlux.

+1

I have the 662 evo myself. You can mod them really easily (and as easily reversable) to sound even better. These are closed back, but i think they sound great.

https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/headphones/measurements/brand-superlux/hd662-evo-2/

They were €30, really amazing bargain.
That article suggests that you can go wrong ... a broken cable is cited as common.
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
That article suggests that you can go wrong ... a broken cable is cited as common.

Well, yes.

That actually happened to mine after 6 months. I recieved a new one in the guarantee. It seems like they adressed the problem, because the point where mine was broken is reinforced with thick rubber on the new one.

Other than that i'd say the quality is good, i used my old one daily, even dropped it several times and it never broke because of it.
Originally Posted by U3piano

That actually happened to mine after 6 months.

I ment 16 months, anyway like i said i think they fixed this flaw, or at least improved it.
This headphone came with my DP piano and for only $12 is well worth the money.

BEHRINGER, Slvr/Blk (HPM1000) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00062PN6I/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_4nTZDbESHQ39Y
Does anyone have any experience with Philips SHP9500 HiFi Precision Stereo Over-Ear Headphones?

[Linked Image]

It has the <$100 headphone with the highest rating for "neutral listening" (which is what listening to the DP is) on the RTINGS site.
5 years ago I had a P85 for keybed(to computer) is decent - phones out is terrible, there is no low end.
I assume P71 is similar.

If to recommend something that both is easily driven and compensate a bit boosting low end is HD280 Pro which I regard as good moneys worth. And you get decent volume, some like cheaper HD201 are harder to drive - and good for ordinary computer online stuff and monitor for recording purposes - nothing else.
© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums