Piano World Home Page
Posted By: Tyrone Slothrop I bought myself a Yamaha P71! - 11/14/19 08:49 PM
Yes! I just bought myself a Yamaha P71 (which is Amazon's version of the P45) with a small clickety sustain pedal, a super cheap X-stand, and an even cheaper X-bench! Will be delivered Saturday.

Why did I do this when I have an Avantgrand N1X? Because I doing some interior design on my flat because of my N1X not fitting saga and Murphy's law has dragged this process out interminably. I am living among paint fumes and dust and even developed bronchitis two days ago because of this, all because I have my RCM Level 4 piano exam coming up in a few weeks and I need to practice, but I can't move my N1X... it's just too big and heavy. I really regretted selling my FP30. That would have solved all my issues.

So now, starting Saturday, I will be able to hole up with my P71 in a hotel and not return to my flat until is completely livable, finished, and fully furnished. I will not have to suffer in order to practice for two hours. Yay!!!! 🎺

So tell me what a mistake I made getting the P71. I did look at the FP10 which has a nicer action, but with a bench, stand, and pedal, it would have cost me $600, while this P71 was $453 with everything. Didn't feel like spending another $150 for a DP that I might not use again after this work on my flat is done.

With the P71, I will have owned a Yamaha, a Roland, and a Kawai. Basically all the entry level DPs except the Casio. Ooo.... I'll be able to be more authoritative in my entry-level piano recommendations. 😎
Posted By: MacMacMac Re: I bought myself a Yamaha P71! - 11/14/19 08:58 PM
What??!! Tyrone is spending conservatively?
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
So tell me what a mistake I made getting the P71. I did look at the FP10 which has a nicer action, but with a bench, stand, and pedal, it would have cost me $600, while this P71 was $453 with everything. Didn't feel like spending another $150 for a DP that I might not use again after this work on my flat is done.
Elizabeth! It's the big one! I'm coming to join you now!

No! Wait a minute. This is just a case of faulty logic!

MUST STERILIZE! STERILIZE! STERILIZE! STERILIZE!
Posted By: Gombessa Re: I bought myself a Yamaha P71! - 11/14/19 08:59 PM
What's the scope of your redesign? When you first mentioned it upon getting the N1X I assumed you were just asking someone where to rearrange a sofa and cadenza. But it sounds like you're renovating an entire room to fit the piano?
Posted By: Tyrone Slothrop Re: I bought myself a Yamaha P71! - 11/14/19 09:00 PM
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
What??!! Tyrone is spending conservatively?
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
So tell me what a mistake I made getting the P71. I did look at the FP10 which has a nicer action, but with a bench, stand, and pedal, it would have cost me $600, while this P71 was $453 with everything. Didn't feel like spending another $150 for a DP that I might not use again after this work on my flat is done.
Elizabeth! It's the big one! I'm coming to join you now!

No! Wait a minute. This is just a case of faulty logic!

MUST STERILIZE! STERILIZE! STERILIZE! STERILIZE!

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain!
Posted By: OscarRamsey Re: I bought myself a Yamaha P71! - 11/14/19 09:07 PM
You know what... having been away for work more than usual, I’m sort of thinking about my ol’ FP-30 too (not the FP-90 for some reason - probably because of the extra heft & cost if I drop the bloody thing). That’s because my exam is coming up soon too!

I’d be interested in your feedback RE action (and sound over headphones).

Long term (unless I change career) I think I’ll want another DP to take away with me.
Posted By: CyberGene Re: I bought myself a Yamaha P71! - 11/14/19 09:19 PM
Congrats! I miss a cheap piano exactly because I miss a cheap piano! laugh The N1X makes me treat it with a great respect. Like that smart and erudite friend whom you can’t tell a dirty joke wink I need also a piano that I can bash and bang with pop, jazz, kid tunes and any other cr*p that won’t make me feel bad. And where the wife will put her coffee on without me going thermonuclear!
Posted By: Tyrone Slothrop Re: I bought myself a Yamaha P71! - 11/14/19 09:20 PM
Originally Posted by Gombessa
What's the scope of your redesign? When you first mentioned it upon getting the N1X I assumed you were just asking someone where to rearrange a sofa and cadenza. But it sounds like you're renovating an entire room to fit the piano?

The sofa & cadenza was LarryK's retrofit of a piano smile

For me, it was never that simple or else I wouldn't have needed an interior designer. LOL. I need to recover space in a high-density urban flat a few blocks from the Capitol smile So it's the works. Every stick of my existing furniture was tossed except for the N1X and my mattress & featherbed. And 100% custom furniture is being made for the flat, with the exception of one leather chair and a couch which is being bought. I even had to get rid of my current 60" TV since I need that wall now because the piano displaced my bookshelves. So the 60" is now be replaced sadly by a 43" TV in the same location which is being embedded in a custom-made wall unit... My designer swears that's the largest TV she can shoehorn in. I hope I can still see the screen - I had my heart set on not going below 55" so I'm pretty much heart-broken now. 😢

Now there's definitely "scope creep" though! Walls/ceiling repainted, floors sanded and refinished. Bathroom and kitchen remodeled. New appliances. New light fixtures and track-lighting everywhere. More electrical outlets and wall switches. Space to hang my wife's art on the wall. Putting my bed on a platform so I can get a couch underneath it. etc etc. Decided I couldn't live without the remotely operated window treatments (want Alexa to open my windows when my alarm goes off). 😂

My wife completely doesn't understand why this is all being done or what is the big deal. No wonder, because our flat in the grachtenpand in Amsterdam is two levels including a loft with a full bath, and three times the livable space of our DC flat! 🤯 The outdoor terrace over the courtyard there which is sort of like our cats' apartment, is by itself, only about 25% smaller than my entire flat here! It costs money to live packed into a high-density urban dwelling like this one here in DC! 😂
Posted By: Tyrone Slothrop Re: I bought myself a Yamaha P71! - 11/14/19 09:39 PM
Originally Posted by CyberGene
Congrats! I miss a cheap piano exactly because I miss a cheap piano! laugh The N1X makes me treat it with a great respect. Like that smart and erudite friend whom you can’t tell a dirty joke wink I need also a piano that I can bash and bang with pop, jazz, kid tunes and any other cr*p that won’t make me feel bad. And where the wife will put her coffee on without me going thermonuclear!

My interior designer just arrived and just had a very evil idea. After I explained to her that it was her fault (i.e., the Murphy's law interior redesign) that I had to buy a new piano so I can hide out with it, she said:
Quote
You're getting this from Amazon, right? Why don't you just keep the boxes? Amazon gives you 60 days to return things!


😈
Posted By: Pete14 Re: I bought myself a Yamaha P71! - 11/14/19 09:45 PM
If the P71 is anything like the P60 then it’s not a ‘cheap’ instrument, but rather a good bang for your buck.
I’ve owned a P60, and considering its price, it was a very capable instrument. I would definitely not let anyone come near it with a ‘cup of coffee’. smile
Posted By: MacMacMac Re: I bought myself a Yamaha P71! - 11/14/19 10:14 PM
It's not the piano's fault. It's not the TV's fault. It's the city's fault! smile

For the price of a cramped apartment in a big city you can have a spacious home in the countryside.
And get away from city crowding. Yuk!
And get away from city traffic. Yuk!
And get away from city people. Yuk!

And have plenty of room for that piano. And room for a second piano. And a 100" TV. Yay for un-urbania!
Posted By: navindra Re: I bought myself a Yamaha P71! - 11/15/19 12:17 AM
Hmm, this sounds like a terrible nightmare to me.

It may have been better to simply trade in the N1X for the NU1X... saving time, money, health, and heartache, in one shot.
Posted By: Tyrone Slothrop Re: I bought myself a Yamaha P71! - 11/15/19 12:55 AM
OK, no interior designer evil plots (to use and return the P71 after my flat is done). I was talking to my daughter and mentioned the 2nd piano and she was all upset that I am not supporting her musical aspirations (.... um, maybe because you had no musical aspirations except to listen to Taylor Swift, Justin Bieber, and BTS?). So I have now given her the P71 under the condition I can borrow it when my N1X is unavailable (like now).

I just created more happiness factors! 3hearts

Now I just need to sign her up for Piano Marvel or something like that so she can know what to do with it wink
Posted By: Tyrone Slothrop Re: I bought myself a Yamaha P71! - 11/15/19 12:57 AM
Originally Posted by navindra
Hmm, this sounds like a terrible nightmare to me.

It may have been better to simply trade in the N1X for the NU1X... saving time, money, health, and heartache, in one shot.

The NU1X wouldn't have fit either. My piano nook could only barely fit the FP30 and similar because the 1st and 88th key were right up against the ends. Both the NU1X and N1X have a side control panel which make the pianos too long for my piano nook.

Not fitting in my piano nook is what has lead me to this current sorry point of first owning (and now gifting) a Yamaha P71. 🙄
Posted By: camperbc Re: I bought myself a Yamaha P71! - 11/15/19 02:57 AM
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
It's not the piano's fault. It's not the TV's fault. It's the city's fault! smile For the price of a cramped apartment in a big city you can have a spacious home in the countryside.
And get away from city crowding. Yuk!
And get away from city traffic. Yuk!
And get away from city people. Yuk!
And have plenty of room for that piano. And room for a second piano. And a 100" TV. Yay for un-urbania!

Or for MUCH less money than either a cramped city apartment or a spacious home in the countryside, one can have a lovely western exposure, oceanfront home on a large piece of land in scenic Newfoundland. No city crowding here, nor traffic, nor... well... people, for that matter. (not quite true... we have 2,500 residents on our 250 sq/km island) Mind you, I still have no space for an acoustic piano. Can't win 'em all! grin
Posted By: LarryK Re: I bought myself a Yamaha P71! - 11/15/19 03:21 AM
It seems like I should offer a rebuttal. Here it is.

Life in the city is wonderful because:

No snow to shovel
No leaves to rake
No car to pay for
No roof or basement to fix from leaks, because there are always leaks.
No house to paint.
No traffic to sit in in a car if one takes the subway.
Only one bathroom to clean
I can walk fifteen minutes and receive piano lessons from a world class teacher.
I can ride the subway for fifteen minutes and receive classical guitar lessons from a Juilliard trained player.
There are cultural activities and the best artists come to visit.

I saw Angela Hewitt play the last three English Suites a few weeks ago and it was a sublime experience. I’ll put up with a lot of hassles to experience such moments of joy.

The review: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/03/arts/music/angela-hewitt-bach-review.html
Posted By: MacMacMac Re: I bought myself a Yamaha P71! - 11/15/19 04:00 AM

Re-rebuttal ...

[Linked Image]

Nothing more need be said. smile
Posted By: LarryK Re: I bought myself a Yamaha P71! - 11/15/19 04:20 AM
I’ve got access to trees, hills, and a river.

[Linked Image]

There are as many beautiful things in a city as there are in the mountains.

To each his own.
Posted By: camperbc Re: I bought myself a Yamaha P71! - 11/15/19 04:24 AM
Re-Re-rebuttal:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Tough to beat views like this at every turn. smile
Posted By: LarryK Re: I bought myself a Yamaha P71! - 11/15/19 04:35 AM
[Linked Image]

There is beauty everywhere.
Posted By: LarryK Re: I bought myself a Yamaha P71! - 11/15/19 04:39 AM
[Linked Image]

And there is beauty in city people. Yes, this is my photograph, published in my book.
Posted By: navindra Re: I bought myself a Yamaha P71! - 11/15/19 05:11 AM
Originally Posted by Pete14
If the P71 is anything like the P60 then it’s not a ‘cheap’ instrument, but rather a good bang for your buck.
I’ve owned a P60, and considering its price, it was a very capable instrument. I would definitely not let anyone come near it with a ‘cup of coffee’. smile


Rebuttal. I own the P80, so 9 model numbers higher than the P71, which is apparently just a rebadged P45, so really 35 model numbers higher.

Terrible action, heavy and clunky. Dumping a cup of coffee on it would be an improvement.

Probably a Casio or Kawai would have served better here.
Posted By: thepianoman831 Re: I bought myself a Yamaha P71! - 11/15/19 05:31 AM
I had a P71 for a while. It was a good instrument. I got a lot of use out of it and didn't have to worry about my students destroying it. It's a good bang for the buck, for sure.
Posted By: CyberGene Re: I bought myself a Yamaha P71! - 11/15/19 08:46 AM
Originally Posted by camperbc
Re-Re-rebuttal:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Tough to beat views like this at every turn. smile

I’m in love! I’m coming! (But where’s the catch?)
Posted By: JoBert Re: I bought myself a Yamaha P71! - 11/15/19 09:13 AM
Originally Posted by CyberGene
(But where’s the catch?)

Probably the distance from your home?
I can recommend going to Sweden's west coast instead (more precisely: The Bohuslän coast north of Gothenburg). Much closer, and very similar views:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: camperbc Re: I bought myself a Yamaha P71! - 11/15/19 09:32 AM
Originally Posted by CyberGene
Originally Posted by camperbc
Re-Re-rebuttal:
Tough to beat views like this at every turn. smile

I’m in love! I’m coming! (But where’s the catch?)

There is no catch! It's just lucky for us that most people have never heard of this very special place... otherwise our peaceful little island paradise could possibly be no more... could become overrun with folks wanting to live here. As things stand, Fogo Island has got to be about the safest, quietest, most crime-free, pollution-free place on the planet!

Here's a photo showing the lovely vista that we've had the great fortune to experience every day for the past 12+ years, as viewed right from our front window.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: CyberGene Re: I bought myself a Yamaha P71! - 11/15/19 09:37 AM
Originally Posted by JoBert
Originally Posted by CyberGene
(But where’s the catch?)

Probably the distance from your home?
I can recommend going to Sweden's west coast instead (more precisely: The Bohuslän coast north of Gothenburg). Much closer, and very similar views:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

JoBert, thanks, very beautiful, I’m putting it in my places to visit list!
Posted By: KevinM Re: I bought myself a Yamaha P71! - 11/15/19 10:02 AM
Those pics Jobert are stunning. Also Sweden is a bit closer than Newfoundland. Sorry camperbc.

I see evidence of scoured rocks from the receding glaciers of the last ice age.
Posted By: CyberGene Re: I bought myself a Yamaha P71! - 11/15/19 10:46 AM
When I was asking about the “catch” I meant of living there if it’s inexpensive and so beautiful and non crowded. Not for just a visit. But I think campberbc kind of answered it.
Posted By: Pete14 Re: I bought myself a Yamaha P71! - 11/15/19 11:08 AM
Originally Posted by camperbc
Originally Posted by CyberGene
Originally Posted by camperbc
Re-Re-rebuttal:
Tough to beat views like this at every turn. smile

I’m in love! I’m coming! (But where’s the catch?)

There is no catch! It's just lucky for us that most people have never heard of this very special place... otherwise our peaceful little island paradise could possibly be no more... could become overrun with folks wanting to live here. As things stand, Fogo Island has got to be about the safest, quietest, most crime-free, pollution-free place on the planet!

Here's a photo showing the lovely vista that we've had the great fortune to experience every day for the past 12+ years, as viewed right from our front window.

[Linked Image]



I’d give anything to be able to park my van down by that ‘river’. What a view!
And yes, I’d like to ditch ‘civilization’ too. There’s something about nature’s unobstructed greens, blues, purples, and otherwise that just make me feel connected to a peaceful and less convoluted time. smile
Posted By: johanibraaten Re: I bought myself a Yamaha P71! - 11/15/19 11:29 AM
Originally Posted by JoBert

Probably the distance from your home?
I can recommend going to Sweden's west coast instead (more precisely: The Bohuslän coast north of Gothenburg). Much closer, and very similar views:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

You are all utterly velcome! Nice pictures JoBert!
Posted By: JoBert Re: I bought myself a Yamaha P71! - 11/15/19 12:22 PM
Originally Posted by johanibraaten
Nice pictures JoBert!

Just so that there are no misunderstandings: Those pics aren't mine. I googled them.
I do have similar pics of my own though, from this year's vacation (and earlier years), and I can attest that it does indeed look like this in reality. The second pic is on Marstrand, btw, a favorite of mine and close to Gothenburg.

And to tie this back in with pianos: I always use our own pictures as backgrounds for my piano recording "videos" (well, they are "stills" actually), and some of them are indeed from that region in Sweden (I hope I'm forgiven for plugging my recordings here). Wonderful "almost" midnight sun there, in late June:


Posted By: LarryK Re: I bought myself a Yamaha P71! - 11/15/19 02:31 PM
I guess there is no scenery that would make me move anywhere. I don’t believe there are any utopias. I attach meaning to a place based on the people I’ve known and what I’ve experienced in that place, and that’s something different than a postcard photograph of a place.

I’m reminded of the last scene from the film My Dinner with Andre when one character rides through the city streets and remembers how every street has meaning for him. Oh, and there is music by Satie. I loved touring the Satie museum on Honfleur, France.



Posted By: Tyrone Slothrop Re: I bought myself a Yamaha P71! - 11/15/19 02:49 PM
There are urban people and there are rural people. Many urban people appreciate the faster pace, availability of public transportation and the proximity to such things as fine dining, museums, concert halls, the opera, and theaters. Many rural people appreciate trees.

I'm an urban person myself. I don't mind seeing my trees in a zoo. smile

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Pete14 Re: I bought myself a Yamaha P71! - 11/15/19 03:18 PM
Perhaps this is simplistic, but I prefer rural, untamed, and free-ranging trees. ‘Zoo trees’ are artificially maintained, out of context, and tortured. I can assure you those zoo trees are not happy. wink
Posted By: MacMacMac Re: I bought myself a Yamaha P71! - 11/15/19 04:35 PM
Well, I'm not concerned about a tree's happiness. But I can say that a museum tree doesn't make me happy.

Cities are for visits.
Places far from the city are ... almost heaven.
Posted By: EssBrace Re: I bought myself a Yamaha P71! - 11/15/19 04:49 PM
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
Cities are for visits.


This.

Preferably brief visits. I occasionally go to London and after a few hours I feel like I'm suffocating. That's not a comment about the air quality. To observe the Human Race en masse is a horrifying experience.
Posted By: LarryK Re: I bought myself a Yamaha P71! - 11/15/19 06:00 PM
I live in a part of Manhattan where there is a large area of trees that have not been cut since the 1700s. There are 100 foot oaks there. We deforested the whole country at least once, if not twice, so it is unusual to see trees that are old growth or second growth.

Here I am with one of the trees.

[Linked Image]

More info here: http://www.ancientforests.us/surveys/InwoodHill.htm

People think all of New York City looks like Times Square. It does not.
Posted By: johanibraaten Re: I bought myself a Yamaha P71! - 11/15/19 07:58 PM
Originally Posted by JoBert
Originally Posted by johanibraaten
Nice pictures JoBert!

Just so that there are no misunderstandings: Those pics aren't mine. I googled them.
I do have similar pics of my own though, from this year's vacation (and earlier years), and I can attest that it does indeed look like this in reality. The second pic is on Marstrand, btw, a favorite of mine and close to Gothenburg.

And to tie this back in with pianos: I always use our own pictures as backgrounds for my piano recording "videos" (well, they are "stills" actually), and some of them are indeed from that region in Sweden (I hope I'm forgiven for plugging my recordings here). Wonderful "almost" midnight sun there, in late June:






Nice playing! I live in Gothenburg and feel honored by your backgrounds:)
Posted By: pwl Re: I bought myself a Yamaha P71! - 11/16/19 07:59 AM
Originally Posted by LarryK
[Linked Image]

And there is beauty in city people. Yes, this is my photograph, published in my book.

Larry, I'd love to hear the story behind this photograph . . . and more about your book!
Posted By: LarryK Re: I bought myself a Yamaha P71! - 11/16/19 12:42 PM
Originally Posted by pwl
Originally Posted by LarryK
[Linked Image]

And there is beauty in city people. Yes, this is my photograph, published in my book.

Larry, I'd love to hear the story behind this photograph . . . and more about your book!


Thanks, that’s awfully kind of you.

You know, sometimes cities put out public pianos for anyone to play and I saw this scene somewhere in Harlem, if I recall correctly. It’s not posed, and I was able to capture it without disturbing them. The way I see it, it’s a tender father-daughter moment. I’m sorry it’s a poor digital snap of the print.

I subscribe to the humanist school of photography, one in which photographs are used to uplift people, to show their inherent dignity.

I used to photograph a lot on the street, with film cameras, and do all of the darkroom work and printing myself. I never made any money or got famous but it was an interesting period in my life.

As for the book, I put it together for a class I took at the International Center of Photography in New York. My book is a slim volume of sixty pages, three signatures of twenty pages, sewn and bound in a heavy black book cloth.

I designed the book using InDesign, and did all of the printing of the pictures in the darkroom. I then scanned the final prints. The teachers for the class worked at a small printing press and so we were able to tour the shop and see them make a book from start to finish. They were able to print my black and white photographs on the big Indigo printer without using color inks. No color, no color shifts!

Perhaps I’ll get my act together and put out a little video showing all of the images in the book. Believe it or not, people still buy photography books after seeing all of the images. Some of the images are from the street, some are portraits and landscapes I took with large format cameras.

Unfortunately, the book was so expensive to make that I lose money on each copy sold so it’s hard to find the motivation. Still, I suppose I should try to send the extant copies out into the world!
Posted By: ˆTomLCˆ Re: I bought myself a Yamaha P71! - 11/16/19 04:09 PM
Tyrone, Did you think of have piano movers move your N1x to the hotel? You can play with headphones, which you do anyway? It will cost about the same as the slab you just bought to move it there and back. Return the slab for a refund.
Posted By: Tyrone Slothrop Re: I bought myself a Yamaha P71! - 11/16/19 04:48 PM
Originally Posted by TomLC
Tyrone, Did you think of have piano movers move your N1x to the hotel? You can play with headphones, which you do anyway? It will cost about the same as the slab you just bought to move it there and back. Return the slab for a refund.

Interesting idea. However, I've already gifted the P71 to my daughter and can't now take it back. I just made her promise piano would not interfere with college, so I think I'm good now.
Posted By: Tyrone Slothrop Re: I bought myself a Yamaha P71! - 11/17/19 01:27 PM
Got the P71 yesterday, set it up. Taught daughter to read music. So already a win.

Now I have an issue. The cheap two pieces of plastic with a hinge and a spring that Yamaha calls a damper pedal is so light and flimsy, it practically sticks to the bottom of my shoe when I left up. How do people keep it from walking around? I am practicing a piece requiring legato pedaling last night and the pedal jumped around all over the place. Did more walking than I did yesterday!
Posted By: KevinM Re: I bought myself a Yamaha P71! - 11/17/19 01:49 PM
I can't remember exactly which pedal I got as a replacement for the one that comes with the piano. Something very like this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/M-Audio-SP...iano+pedal&qid=1573998452&sr=8-5

The pedal that comes with the DP just adds another complication to playing I needed to not have to deal with.
Posted By: EVC2017 Re: I bought myself a Yamaha P71! - 11/17/19 02:55 PM
What about fixing the pedal over a piece of plywood or MDF that your heel sits on to prevent it from slipping? Anyway besides the M-Audio option suggested by Kevin above, you have Onstage and others. I have had the Onstage on a Casio PX350 in the past and it is decent.

I hope the link works
© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums