Piano World Home Page
Posted By: camperbc My new Privia PX-870 has arrived!! - 10/22/19 09:10 PM
Yes, it took forever to get my new PX-870 delivered to our little island off the north coast of Newfoundland, but today the courier driver showed up with our big parcel! It was a bit of a struggle for the driver and myself to haul the large/heavy box out of the van, down our steep driveway and into the house, and then I immediately went to work unpacking all of the pieces. It took me longer to unpack/unwrap everything than it did to actually assemble it... I think it took about 35 minutes to put it together. About the only problem I had was in sliding the bulky (heavy!) keyboard into the side channels, as my arthritis (not to mention my additional spinal issues) was loudly complaining the entire time. But I got it all together in short order, and I must say that it was really a breeze to assemble. Everything fit together precisely and easily, and once it was all assembled I just sat there and admired the whole look of it! It's a beautiful design; quite minimalistic and elegant, and although I have only played it for just a few minutes so far, I am quite smitten with my early Christmas present to myself!

By sheer luck, both my "Stage-One" piano bench and "Auray" LED piano lamp also arrived today, and I must say that I am loving how it all looks. Very nice indeed! Due to my diminished health I was pretty worn out and in pain by the time I got it all assembled and put in its place in our living room, so I'm now back in bed to recover, but I can hardly wait to get back downstairs again to play my new digital piano! Or at least try to... I can already tell that it's going to take me a long while to re-develop my skills, back to the level I was at many years ago. Plus I now have pretty bad arthritis in every joint of my fingers, (both hands) and I can only hope that my return to playing with help to limber them up again, rather than make them possibly worse. I recently read somewhere that doctors believe that playing daily (without overdoing it) can bring some degree of relief for rather severe arthritis sufferers, so only time will tell. But I can glean after just the very few minutes of playing, that I have not really forgotten much of what I had learned all of those years ago. I played a little Mozart and Chopin, and although I'm admittedly a bit rusty, (understandable, considering my health issues and of course the length of time away from a piano) I was very pleasantly surprised with what I was able to do within the first five minutes or so. Perhaps not as quick nor as polished as in the past, though that is completely understandable.

But I do have serious concerns about the arthritis. This has worsened quite a bit over the past few months, and right away I could tell it was going to get painful in no time at all, so I will have to really try to pace myself, and hopefully get the pain and stiffness under some control. I'd be interested I hearing from any of you who may have arthritic fingers, and if you may have any advice for dealing with it, so that I can hopefully go on to play this instrument for years to come.

So, I've got the piano where I want it to go, and it fits there nicely, but as our TV is mounted quite low on this same wall, (right behind/above the piano) I need to find a new spot for the TV, so hopefully that will be tomorrow's project. It looks kinda goofy at the moment, with
the music stand blocking the bottom few inches of the screen, but once we move the TV I think this will be the perfect place for the piano. Once I'm feeling a bit better, (hopefully tomorrow) I'll try to take a couple pics of it and post them on here, to show you my little setup.

So far, I've not played around with any settings at all; I have only briefly tried the default piano sound and that's it, but I've got to say that the audio quality from its 40-watt amplifier/four speakers is way better than I had expected! It probably helps that it's in such a small room too; all I know is that it surprisingly sounds really nice and authentic!

So, for this old guy it's been a pretty full day, and I'm currently back in bed to rest my messed-up spine, but I'm so stoked to be returning to playing after such a long dry spell. I realize that this could be a very long, slow process, and it's still unknown just how much my arthritis will affect my ability to play, but I will just have to pace myself, take baby steps. I am long-retired and thus have all the time in the world to get my skills back! I'll likely have ton of questions in the coming days, so hopefully I won't drive you all nuts! More later!
Posted By: MacMacMac Re: My new Privia PX-870 has arrived!! - 10/22/19 09:21 PM
Messed up spine? Me too. No problems at all until June 8, and then wham. Spinal stenosis. Upper leg pains mostly. Mainly left side.

Fortunately sitting is pain free. So the piano is a pain-free activity.

Best wishes for you, for your back, and for your piano.
Posted By: ˆTomLCˆ Re: My new Privia PX-870 has arrived!! - 10/22/19 09:21 PM
Glad to hear it arrived in pristine condition, Glen. And that you are pleased with it.
Posted By: camperbc Re: My new Privia PX-870 has arrived!! - 10/22/19 09:53 PM
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
Messed up spine? Me too. No problems at all until June 8, and then wham. Spinal stenosis. Upper leg pains mostly. Mainly left side. Fortunately sitting is pain free. So the piano is a pain-free activity.

I'm so sorry to hear this, MacMacMac. But I'm relieved that it's not an issue while you are playing, thank goodness! Mine is the result of a serious accident in the workplace many years ago, which unfortunately has kept me mostly bedridden (~20 hours/day) ever since that time. It will be quite a challenge for me to try to get back to the piano after all this, but we shall see how things go. My upper spine (C-1 through C-6) took the brunt of the impact... these vertebrae are crushed beyond repair. This has also caused blindingly-painful, daily cervicogenic headaches, as well as permanent nerve damage to both hands. And then there's the newly-diagnosed arthritis affecting my whole body, and all of this is on top of 6 years of severe Polymyalgia Rheumatica, which causes major swelling/intense joint pain, mostly in my shoulders and hips. Oh, and did I mention the severe Restless Legs Syndrome and equally-debilitating IBS? Yup, I'm falling apart at the seams, but I'm determined to get back on the piano!!
Posted By: MarkL Re: My new Privia PX-870 has arrived!! - 10/22/19 10:07 PM
Originally Posted by camperbc

So, I've got the piano where I want it to go, and it fits there nicely, but as our TV is mounted quite low on this same wall, (right behind/above the piano) I need to find a new spot for the TV, so hopefully that will be tomorrow's project. It looks kinda goofy at the moment, with
the music stand blocking the bottom few inches of the screen, but once we move the TV I think this will be the perfect place for the piano.

I have a tv mounted above my piano and use it to display the backing track programs I use (iReal Pro, Band in a Box). It depends what kind of music you plan to play, but it could be handy to have a big screen for a display.
Posted By: MacMacMac Re: My new Privia PX-870 has arrived!! - 10/22/19 10:16 PM
Wow. frown You've got it BAD.
I'm relieved that it's not an issue while you are playing, thank goodness! Mine is the result of a serious accident in the workplace many years ago, which unfortunately has kept me mostly bedridden (~20 hours/day) ever since that time. It will be quite a challenge for me to try to get back to the piano after all this, but we shall see how things go. My upper spine (C-1 through C-6) took the brunt of the impact... these vertebrae are crushed beyond repair. This has also caused blindingly-painful, daily cervicogenic headaches, as well as permanent nerve damage to both hands. And then there's the newly-diagnosed arthritis affecting my whole body, and all of this is on top of 6 years of severe Polymyalgia Rheumatica, which causes major swelling/intense joint pain, mostly in my shoulders and hips. Oh, and did I mention the severe Restless Legs Syndrome and equally-debilitating IBS? Yup, I'm falling apart at the seams, but I'm determined to get back on the piano!
I've also got C5/C6 and C6/C7 herniations, but a short lie-down relieves the pain. My wife has the same, but for her a nap is no remediation. And she has chronic fatigue and fibromyalgia. So things rather suck around here.

Still, it all pales next to your ailments. I hope some enjoyment at the piano will slightly offset the medical misery. Best wishes.
Congrats on the new piano!!! Exciting times! Take it easy and get into it slowly. You don't want to add Repetitive Strain Injuries (RSIs) to your list of ailments! frown
Posted By: WeakLeftHand Re: My new Privia PX-870 has arrived!! - 10/23/19 01:02 AM
camperbc, would you be able to post some pics of your new piano in its new home?

Hoping you will be able to enjoy your new piano despite the health issues!
Posted By: camperbc Re: My new Privia PX-870 has arrived!! - 10/23/19 01:23 AM
Originally Posted by TomLC
Glad to hear it arrived in pristine condition, Glen. And that you are pleased with it.

Thanks! I'm hoping I'll be well enough tomorrow to begin to familiarize myself with all of its many features.

Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
Congrats on the new piano!!! Exciting times! Take it easy and get into it slowly. You don't want to add Repetitive Strain Injuries (RSIs) to your list of ailments! frown

Exciting for sure! Yup, I'll definitely be taking baby steps, because I'm a bit worried that my fingers could get worse instead of better.

Originally Posted by WeakLeftHand
camperbc, would you be able to post some pics of your new piano in its new home? Hoping you will be able to enjoy your new piano despite the health issues!

I will try to take a few pics of it tomorrow and post them on here. And if I'm still laid up tomorrow, I'll take them as soon as I am able. Yes, I am so looking forward to playing on this!
Congrats! There's nothing like NPD. (That's "New Piano Day" ... ) I had the PX-830 for several years, and really enjoyed it. Enjoy!
Posted By: camperbc Re: My new Privia PX-870 has arrived!! - 10/23/19 07:44 AM
Originally Posted by TheophilusCarter
Congrats! There's nothing like NPD. (That's "New Piano Day" ... ) I had the PX-830 for several years, and really enjoyed it. Enjoy!

Yes NPD is indeed a beautiful thing... I feel like a kid on Christmas morning!!!
Posted By: Muskellunge Re: My new Privia PX-870 has arrived!! - 10/23/19 02:22 PM
Oh good! Glad your piano arrived. As you recall, I have the same model .👍

It’s my good fortune you enjoy writing.lol I’m looking very forward to reading your updated thoughts about the 870!

You’re very fortunate you played years back. Like you said, you were actually able to play stuff right away...even surprised yourself... How nice!

I’m 60 and starting from scratch AND have various joint issues. So, I have a journey ahead. I just hope the body holds up.

Had my second lesson yesterday and watched a variety of YouTube vids the bast couple weeks. I’ve been playing 1 to 2 hrs a day. I’m already MUCH better than I was 2 weeks ago.LOL.

Again, looking forward to reading your thoughts and opinions on the Privia 870.

Muskie
Posted By: Ralphiano Re: My new Privia PX-870 has arrived!! - 10/23/19 03:22 PM
Good for you, camperbc. I hope you enjoy your Casio as much as I enjoyed mine. It was a great servant. And, good luck to managing your physical issues.
Posted By: camperbc Re: My new Privia PX-870 has arrived!! - 10/23/19 06:07 PM
Originally Posted by Muskellunge
Oh good! Glad your piano arrived. As you recall, I have the same model .👍It’s my good fortune you enjoy writing.lol I’m looking very forward to reading your updated thoughts about the 870! You’re very fortunate you played years back. Like you said, you were actually able to play stuff right away...even surprised yourself... How nice! I’m 60 and starting from scratch AND have various joint issues. So, I have a journey ahead. I just hope the body holds up. Had my second lesson yesterday and watched a variety of YouTube vids the bast couple weeks. I’ve been playing 1 to 2 hrs a day. I’m already MUCH better than I was 2 weeks ago.Lol. Again, looking forward to reading your thoughts and opinions on the Privia 870.
Muskie

Thanks, Muskie! I'm happy to hear that you're starting to get the hang of it. Like they say, practice makes perfect! Sorry to hear that you have some health issues too. I hope you will be able to continue to play without being in too much discomfort. Yes, I'm already really enjoying the PX-870. I haven't figured out even half of the settings yet, but all in due time. One thing I have noticed though, is that even with the sustain pedal fully depressed, it doesn't really seem to have much sustain effect, at least not for nearly as long as I remember the acoustics going on for. I haven't been able to find any setting for adjusting this, so I may just have to get used to it. Also, it seems that I really have to stomp on the pedal to get it to sustain. Sometimes I think I have it fully depressed, but it still isn't pushed down quite far enough to do its job, so I must then push down even harder. It will just take some getting accustomed to, I suppose.

Originally Posted by Ralphiano
Good for you, camperbc. I hope you enjoy your Casio as much as I enjoyed mine. It was a great servant. And, good luck to managing your physical issues.

Thank-you Ralph. Yes, I have more than my share of physical limitations, but one way or another I'm going to make this work... though I'm sure it will take me awhile to get back into my groove again! But hey, that's half the fun!

And as promised, here are a couple pics I just snapped of my new baby.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Ojustaboo Re: My new Privia PX-870 has arrived!! - 10/23/19 10:47 PM
Congratulations, hope you enjoy it.

I bought the PX 870 last November and I love it.

I used to have a Kawai MP10, sold that and got a Kawai MP7.

I’m not going to lie, both had superior key-beds than the PX 870. But like you I have arthritis, and it hurt playing them.

I can play my PX 870 much much much easier and with less pain than either of the Kawai’s, hence I really really enjoy playing it.

Get the piano ap if you have an iPad (don’t know if it’s on Android), makes setting up things like the metronome much much easier

Soinds like you might have faulty pedals, my right pedal works exactly as you would expect it to, don’t have to push down hard etc. Double check cables in properly.
Posted By: Muskellunge Re: My new Privia PX-870 has arrived!! - 10/24/19 12:48 AM
Looking good there, Glen.very nice.

When I depress the sustain pedal I get substantial sustain. Basically the same as holding the keys down. When the pedal is lifted, the loss of sustain is obvious.

You may wanna double check to see that cable is fully seated, if ya haven’t already. If you’re not getting sustain, maybe that pedal set is faulty.
Posted By: Muskellunge Re: My new Privia PX-870 has arrived!! - 10/24/19 12:58 AM
I just checked. I get the same amount of sustain from holding a key down as I get from holding the pedal down. Which I’d guess is the way it should be.
Posted By: Muskellunge Re: My new Privia PX-870 has arrived!! - 10/24/19 01:10 AM
PS.... The weight of my leg placed on the sustain pedal is enough to bottom it out.
Posted By: camperbc Re: My new Privia PX-870 has arrived!! - 10/24/19 01:23 AM
Looking good there, Glen.very nice. When I depress the sustain pedal I get substantial sustain. Basically the same as holding the keys down. When the pedal is lifted, the loss of sustain is obvious. You may wanna double check to see that cable is fully seated, if ya haven’t already. If you’re not getting sustain, maybe that pedal set is faulty.

Thanks Muskie, it seemed to me that I wasn't experiencing as much sustain from the pedal as I would get if I were to hold down a key, but I could just be mistaken due to my unfamiliarity with the instrument. I'll check it out again in the AM and report back with my findings.

This photo is now my tablet's new wallpaper... what a great looking digital piano!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Charles Cohen Re: My new Privia PX-870 has arrived!! - 10/24/19 04:36 AM
FWIW --

_If_ the PX-870 is the same as the PX-350, there's a menu item in the "Other Parameters" group, called "Half Pedal Effect".

That number is the MIDI value that the damper pedal sends, when it goes through the half-pedal position.

You should be able to hear the change, if you hold the damper pedal in the "half-pedal" position, and play a note repeatedly, as you change the parameter.

I found that one half-pedal position (between "off" and "on") was enough to get good results.

If you've been used to an acoustic piano, you'll find that the Casio sound decays faster. So you'll pedal (or half-pedal) more, to compensate for that.

If it really starts to bug you, you'll be on the road to a VST which has decay times that match an acoustic piano. Pianoteq solved the problem, for me.

. . . But don't go down that path yet.

Enjoy the piano!
Posted By: camperbc Re: My new Privia PX-870 has arrived!! - 10/24/19 02:19 PM
Originally Posted by Charles Cohen
FWIW _If_ the PX-870 is the same as the PX-350, there's a menu item in the "Other Parameters" group, called "Half Pedal Effect". That number is the MIDI value that the damper pedal sends, when it goes through the half-pedal position. You should be able to hear the change, if you hold the damper pedal in the "half-pedal" position, and play a note repeatedly, as you change the parameter. I found that one half-pedal position (between "off" and "on") was enough to get good results. If you've been used to an acoustic piano, you'll find that the Casio sound decays faster. So you'll pedal (or half-pedal) more, to compensate for that. If it really starts to bug you, you'll be on the road to a VST which has decay times that match an acoustic piano. Pianoteq solved the problem, for me. . . But don't go down that path yet.
Enjoy the piano!

Thank-you, Charles. Yes, my PX-870 does have the "half pedal" feature you mention, but I can't find a setting for changing its parameters. The sustain pedal definitely is working, but its sustain effect is quite short... by this I mean it won't last for several seconds, as I recall acoustic pianos doing. Also, I really have to ensure that the pedal is firmly pressed right to the floor for full sustain to work. Perhaps this is normal for a Casio, but if this isn't adjustable, it will take me some time to get accustomed to it. I am also still trying to adjust to the weighted keys, as I have been playing an ancient Casiotone CT-680 portable keyboard, and it has unnaturally light (feather-touch) keys... so now it feels as though I must stand on the keys... and my arthritic fingers do complain a little about the extra exertion required from them.

And one more thing that I am noticing, and again it's almost surely just me being so rusty... when playing black keys I tend to press them too high up (at the furthest point away from me) and I'm finding that they are difficult to press down unless I force myself to bring my fingers back closer to me. (not sure if this description makes much sense!) With an acoustic I used to be able to press the black keys down with ease, even at the very-furthest point away from me, but with my new Casio it's as if there is almost too much resistance toward the rear of the keys.

I'm thinking that I'll be fine with all of the above points in due time... once I've become more accustomed to the instrument.
Posted By: KevinM Re: My new Privia PX-870 has arrived!! - 10/24/19 02:37 PM

Thank-you, Charles. Yes, my PX-870 does have the "half pedal" feature you mention, but I can't find a setting for changing its parameters. The sustain pedal definitely is working, but its sustain effect is quite short... by this I mean it won't last for several seconds, as I recall acoustic pianos doing. Also, I really have to ensure that the pedal is firmly pressed right to the floor for full sustain to work. Perhaps this is normal for a Casio, but if this isn't adjustable, it will take me some time to get accustomed to it. I am also still trying to adjust to the weighted keys, as I have been playing an ancient Casiotone CT-680 portable keyboard, and it has unnaturally light (feather-touch) keys... so now it feels as though I must stand on the keys... and my arthritic fingers do complain a little about the extra exertion required from them.

I think your pedal doesn't sound right. I'm not what is wrong with it. But with the casio I had, the AP-470 I had no problem at all using the pedal. The sustain is short, but you should not have to worry about whether the pedal is firmly pressed or not. That sound like an issue with the pedal unit to me, or perhaps it isn't setup completely.

And one more thing that I am noticing, and again it's almost surely just me being so rusty... when playing black keys I tend to press them too high up (at the furthest point away from me) and I'm finding that they are difficult to press down unless I force myself to bring my fingers back closer to me. (not sure if this description makes much sense!) With an acoustic I used to be able to press the black keys down with ease, even at the very-furthest point away from me, but with my new Casio it's as if there is almost too much resistance toward the rear of the keys.

The problem with playing near the rear of the keys, either black or white is that the keys have a short pivot length and this is one of the reasons I upgraded from my AP-470. It does make it a lot harder to control the volume of the sound when playing at the back of the keys.

It's not you being rusty. Most digital pianos have a shorter pivot point than acoustical pianos, and simply due to the law of newtonian physics - levers and mechanical advantage - the pianist has less control the closer his fingers are to the fallboard on a digital. This is something addressed in some higher end digitals, and of course in hybrids.
Posted By: petebfrance Re: My new Privia PX-870 has arrived!! - 10/24/19 03:10 PM

Depending on how bad it is, you may get used to it. I'm using an ancient unweighted keyboard (long story - it is touch sensitive, rubber underneath providing 'resistance, return etc. - very crude ) with very short pivot point and to start off with it was very difficult to play close to the fall-board with any kind of control because it needed so much force. I seem now to be playing fine, but it's taken a while (weeks!) - either the keyboard is weakening or I've got it under control. The thing I had to do to start off with in order to get anything out of it was to remind myself that it was (well, in theory, anyway) 'velocity' and not 'weight' that mattered and control my playing accordingly, but it's important I think to approach this with caution if your fingers have arthritis. Mine do have a tendency that way, but fortunately the problem hasn't arisen with this keyboard.
I don't know about the pedal, though. The pedal on my keyboard does work, but it is nowhere near as strong an effect as on my old acoustic upright.
Posted By: camperbc Re: My new Privia PX-870 has arrived!! - 10/24/19 03:58 PM
First off, I want to thank every one of you who is so kindly offering assistance in helping me to figure this out; I really do appreciate your guidance! Again, many thanks!!

OK, I have been experimenting... I unplugged/replugged the sustain pedal, did a full reset, and scanned through the owner's manual to try to locate some type of adjustment setting for the pedal, to no avail. So I'm curious if the "half-pedal" function is a default setting, or does it have to be turned on somehow? Mine definitely doesn't sustain at all when pushed halfway down, (nor even 3/4) but only when pushed right to the floor. If someone could confirm that even from the factory settings, that it should in fact "half-pedal" sustain, then I would know that it's indeed faulty.

Another thing I just noticed is that when I unplugged the sustain pedal and plugged it back in again, there was no sustain at all, until I turned the main power button off and restarted it. (this struck me as odd)

I'm certain that in time I will get used to the extra force required to play the black keys near the fall-board, but this half-pedal sustain issue is bugging me. I'm already beginning to dread the possibility of having to deal with Casio customer service over a faulty part.
It sounds like the half-pedal window (the range from where there just starts to be pedal function to when it becomes full pedal) is too small and is also too close to the full pedal engagement point. You are saying that when you press it all the way, then the pedal functions, the moment you release any of that pressure, no matter how slight, it immediately drops to no pedal at all. In that case the half-pedal window is a complete zero and is right at very bottom of the pedal. This is either broken or needing a technician to make an adjustment.
Posted By: camperbc Re: My new Privia PX-870 has arrived!! - 10/24/19 06:22 PM
It sounds like the half-pedal window (the range from where there just starts to be pedal function to when it becomes full pedal) is too small and is also too close to the full pedal engagement point. You are saying that when you press it all the way, then the pedal functions, the moment you release any of that pressure, no matter how slight, it immediately drops to no pedal at all. In that case the half-pedal window is a complete zero and is right at very bottom of the pedal. This is either broken or needing a technician to make an adjustment.

I just got in touch with the dealer, and they're going to contact Casio directly to get this straightened out, but they don't expect to have any info before Monday. I explained to them that due to our living at basically the North Pole it's not like any technician is going to just pop in and have a look. I can only hope that the issue lies within the pedal bar, rather than in the piano itself... it would really suck to have to disassemble the whole thing, somehow try to package it all back up, and return it!
Posted By: camperbc Re: My new Privia PX-870 has arrived!! - 10/24/19 11:17 PM
I just want to add that aside from the little issue of my PX-870's "half-pedal" function not working, I've got to say that I'm really loving this thing!! And I'm surprised that in just two short days since it was delivered, I'm already starting to get the hang of its gazillion different settings... and of playing again! Considering that it's been decades since I last sat down at a piano, I'm shocked that I am able to just start playing some fairly complex pieces... especially with nerve-damaged and arthritic hands! I believe the last time I played this music (or any music for that matter!) on a piano was sometime around 1977. But what's really weird to me is how this can even be possible. I mean, I sometimes have to stop and think what I was doing just yesterday, yet I can recall every note. Anyway, I'm thrilled to death, but of course am kicking myself for not hopping back into the saddle years earlier!

I just finished playing some of what I had considered back in the day (over 40 years ago) to be my absolute favorite composers, Mozart and Chopin, and I played a few of these pieces pretty much flawlessly start to finish and, wow, that felt awesome! In fact I noticed that I was getting so into my playing that I suddenly realized that I hadn't been thinking about my ever-present pain level! Wow, the power of music!

So I'm off to bed now, with a huge, goofy grin plastered across my face!
Posted By: Charles Cohen Re: My new Privia PX-870 has arrived!! - 10/25/19 02:58 AM
FWIW --

If it makes you feel any better, I just searched the PX-870 manual, and couldn't find anything that adjusted the half-pedal action.

With the damper pedal down, you should get quite a few seconds of sustain time -- like 10 or 15 seconds, on the bass end of the keyboard. It's not as long as an acoustic.

I think you really do have something wrong in the mechanics (or electronics).

Let's see what the tech finds . . . .

Congratulations on playing again, after such a long break. It feels wonderful to have the skills return . . .
Posted By: camperbc Re: My new Privia PX-870 has arrived!! - 10/28/19 10:13 PM
Good News! I just heard back from Casio late today, and they have already shipped out a replacement pedal assembly for my new PX-870. Now that is indeed some prompt customer service!... Well done Casio, and Fleet Pro Sound! The new pedal bar should arrive by early next week.
Posted By: camperbc Re: My new Privia PX-870 has arrived!! - 11/06/19 08:25 PM
Another day came and went, and still no replacement pedal bar. (sigh) Hopefully tomorrow.
Posted By: Ajax69 Re: My new Privia PX-870 has arrived!! - 11/07/19 10:32 AM
I just want to add that aside from the little issue of my PX-870's "half-pedal" function not working, I've got to say that I'm really loving this thing!! And I'm surprised that in just two short days since it was delivered, I'm already starting to get the hang of its gazillion different settings... and of playing again! Considering that it's been decades since I last sat down at a piano, I'm shocked that I am able to just start playing some fairly complex pieces... especially with nerve-damaged and arthritic hands! I believe the last time I played this music (or any music for that matter!) on a piano was sometime around 1977. But what's really weird to me is how this can even be possible. I mean, I sometimes have to stop and think what I was doing just yesterday, yet I can recall every note. Anyway, I'm thrilled to death, but of course am kicking myself for not hopping back into the saddle years earlier!

I just finished playing some of what I had considered back in the day (over 40 years ago) to be my absolute favorite composers, Mozart and Chopin, and I played a few of these pieces pretty much flawlessly start to finish and, wow, that felt awesome! In fact I noticed that I was getting so into my playing that I suddenly realized that I hadn't been thinking about my ever-present pain level! Wow, the power of music!

So I'm off to bed now, with a huge, goofy grin plastered across my face!

Hi Glen!

Congrat's to your new PX-870! A beautiful instrument indeed!!!

So lovely to hear about the fantastic return of your musical skills. You must have a remarkable tone- and muscle memory. And a lot of talent! (Talking about muscles - I've alse read quite a few medical reports on the good effect piano practice has on reducing arthritis pain and increasing finger dexterity).

All the best to you and your continued musical journey!!!
Posted By: camperbc Re: My new Privia PX-870 has arrived!! - 11/07/19 05:30 PM
Originally Posted by Ajax69
Hi Glen! Congrat's to your new PX-870! A beautiful instrument indeed!!! So lovely to hear about the fantastic return of your musical skills. You must have a remarkable tone- and muscle memory. And a lot of talent! (Talking about muscles - I've alse read quite a few medical reports on the good effect piano practice has on reducing arthritis pain and increasing finger dexterity). All the best to you and your continued musical journey!!!

Thanks for that, Ajax69! Yeah, quite surprisingly my playing doesn't seem to have suffered too much over the years, but wow, I really seem to be struggling with the sight reading. And memorizing. Not too sure if it's because of my diminished eyesight, (I could use a new eyeglass prescription) or my advancing age, or just too long away from a piano... but likely a combination of the three. I am certain that it will come back to me eventually, but it's going to take some time, as I can't sit at the instrument in relative comfort for as long as I would like to. I will get there eventually, but it's kind of nerve-wracking as this used to be so easy for me, and now I am taking baby steps when learning a new piece.

Yes, I can already tell that my arthritic fingers are doing much better after just two weeks of occasional playing. Vastly improved range-of-motion, strength, accuracy. But there is also the issue of the permanent nerve damage to both hands, (from my spinal injury years ago) but I'm actually managing better than I had ever thought possible. Anyway, it's great to be back playing again!!

PS: Looks like I will have to wait a bit longer for my replacement pedal bar! There is no way for the courier truck to get to our island today, as our ferry is out of service due to hurricane-force winds. This morning it was still blowing at 122 km/h! (76 mph)
Posted By: Ajax69 Re: My new Privia PX-870 has arrived!! - 11/07/19 05:42 PM
Yeah, guess there's a downside of everything. Other than ferry problems I got really envious when I read about your "little island off the north coast of Newfoundland". Truly sounds like quality living IMHO.

Stay well and hold on to your hat!
Posted By: Ajax69 Re: My new Privia PX-870 has arrived!! - 11/07/19 06:55 PM
[quote=Ajax69]Hi Glen! Congrat's to your new PX-870! A beautiful instrument indeed!!! .....

Thanks for that, Ajax69! Yeah, quite surprisingly my playing doesn't seem to have suffered too much over the years, but wow, I really seem to be struggling with the sight reading. And memorizing. Not too sure if it's because of my diminished eyesight, (I could use a new eyeglass prescription).....

So true. I have the same problem with sight reading after many years away from the piano. I've found that there's a bit of help to be found in some of the many sheet reading apps found on internet. I use one frequently while waiting for wife, dentist, cabs etc.
Posted By: camperbc Re: My new Privia PX-870 has arrived!! - 11/08/19 02:57 PM
And the saga continues! My long-awaited replacement pedal assembly finally showed up at our door... but as it turns out, they shipped me the wrong one! Sheesh, I was really excited to finally get this part so that my piano would be perfect... only to discover that the pedal bar they sent (SP-33) is at least 3 inches too short in length, and also the wrong colour! (grey instead of black)

Anyway, the good news is that when I plugged it in to test it, the sustain function worked perfectly!! Finally the half-pedal function was working as it should, and the sound just kept going and going! So although I now must wait at least another week for a second replacement pedal unit, at least now I know for certain that there is nothing wrong with the piano itself.

I also want to mention that I'm looking into ordering a pair of studio monitors to improve upon the PX-870's already very decent sound. So if anyone might be familiar with either the Presonis Eris E5 "XT" monitors, or the Mackie MR524's, I'd love to hear what you think of them! I'm obviously not looking for thumping bass from my piano, but I would like to try to improve upon the sound in the lower register. (lower keys are producing so little bass that they're almost inaudible) So I'm thinking that with either of the above two models, these should be capable of improving the low end without the need for a subwoofer. And I'm definitely open to any other suggestions for quality monitors in the $400/pair range.
Posted By: djvu10 Re: My new Privia PX-870 has arrived!! - 11/08/19 04:59 PM
Sorry to hear you have to wait longer for the right part!

As far as monitors for your piano, there were some discussion in this forum last week when someone needed monitors for his MP11se.

I have performed live for 40 years and have had a home studio for almost 30 years and this is just my opinion:

If you're not sitting in your studio producing music, don't worry about buying high-end monitors. I would also skip 5" monitors because you still won't feel much when you hit the bass notes. I have tried these powered monitors with my home digital piano:

2 KRK ROKIT 5 5" powered ($350/pr). Lacks fullness without a subwoofer.

2 Yamaha DXR8 8" powered ($1100/pr). I bought them to use as stage monitors for my keyboards (different monitors for vocals...), ended up switching to 2 12" powered monitors so I used them at home for a while before selling them.

2 JBL 308P MkII 8" powered ($500/pr). They were fine but I wanted to try the Yamaha HS8.

2 Yamaha HS8 8" powered ($700/pr). They are very nice and flat, which is great when you're producing but too flat for my taste when used with my piano.

2 Monoprice 8" powered ($250/pr). Their warehouse is near me so I get to try a lot of their stuff out. The monitors are flat black and not gorgeous but do a good job. I've had a KRK 10" powered sub sitting around for years, hooked up with these 8" and this is the happiest I've been with my sound so far. The sound is full from the bottom to the top keys and I can feel each bass note when I pound on them. I may experiment with adding my JBL 306P MkII 6.5" for ambient sounds.

I'm just sharing this information in case it helps you; I know everyone's taste and opinion vary. Also, those are regular asking prices, I usually pay 25%-35% less. The Monoprice monitors make a "pop" when being powered off but for the price I paid ($160/pr), I'm fine with that.

Note: in my opinion, all speakers, passive or active, usually sound much better after a week or two of constant use. You can play CDs through them during this period to "loosen" them up.
Posted By: Ajax69 Re: My new Privia PX-870 has arrived!! - 11/08/19 05:34 PM
Thank's for sharing djvu! Great info.
Posted By: camperbc Re: My new Privia PX-870 has arrived!! - 11/09/19 04:49 AM
Oops, I just realized that I've been misspelling "Presonus" in my previous posts. Sorry about that... I'm blaming it on the pain meds!! crazy
Posted By: JimmyDaGreek Re: My new Privia PX-870 has arrived!! - 11/09/19 11:15 AM
I hope the keys on that model are not as noisy as the 860...
Went to check out a like new model and it was very impressive but couldn't get past the sloppy, noisy key noise.
Posted By: camperbc Re: My new Privia PX-870 has arrived!! - 11/09/19 02:34 PM
Originally Posted by JimmyDaGreek
I hope the keys on that model are not as noisy as the 860...
Went to check out a like new model and it was very impressive but couldn't get past the sloppy, noisy key noise.

JimmyDaGreek, prior to delivery of my new PX-870 I was a bit concerned about some things I'd read regarding excessive key noise on some models, so I assembled the unit, then sat down to try it out, and to my relief I found the keys to be quite silent! I'm thrilled with this instrument; its authentic sound, the elegant/minimalist design, the action, feel of the keys... the overall level of quality is impressive, particularly at this price point.

The only fly-in-the-ointment was in discovering that my pedal assembly was D.O.A. Casio shipped out a replacement, but unfortunately it was the wrong length... so now they're sending me another one. But by plugging in replacement #1, I was able to confirm that the issue indeed lies within the pedal bar itself rather than with the actual piano, as I suddenly had perfectly-functioning pedals... even with the wrong part! So now I'm just waiting for the new pedals to get here and I'll be good to go!

If this will be the only hiccup I experience with my PX-870, I'll be a happy man!! And thank goodness my keys aren't noisy, as that would have been disappointing.
Posted By: JimmyDaGreek Re: My new Privia PX-870 has arrived!! - 11/09/19 08:18 PM
Glad to hear you received an instrument to enjoy for years to come.

I really wanted to buy that 860 but maybe the key noise was why it was so new looking and for sale!
Posted By: Ojustaboo Re: My new Privia PX-870 has arrived!! - 11/09/19 11:53 PM
I love my 870 too.

Is it possible to take the new pedals off the too short bit and replace the faulty ones on the correct length bit?
Posted By: camperbc Re: My new Privia PX-870 has arrived!! - 11/10/19 03:52 AM
Originally Posted by Ojustaboo
I love my 870 too.

Is it possible to take the new pedals off the too short bit and replace the faulty ones on the correct length bit?

Hmmm, not really sure...
Posted By: camperbc Re: My new Privia PX-870 has arrived!! - 11/10/19 09:51 AM
Well it only seemed fitting that I should get the newest member of our household (my beloved PX-870 grin) a Christmas gift, so I just ordered her a pair of the next generation of the "Presonus Eris" line of active studio monitors, the new "E5 XT". As outstanding as the previous E5's were, these new E5 XT's are even better in almost every way, so I bit the bullet and ordered a couple of 'em, along with the required cables, and a pair of Rockville (model RHSB8) wall-mount brackets. I'm a bit doubtful that I'll require a subwoofer with these monitors, but we'll see how things go... if I feel that the bass could use a further boost, I can always add a sub later.

These attractive E5 XT's feature a newly-designed elliptical waveguide; they have a much-wider sweet spot now... more focused vertical dispersion from its tweeter. (at 60°... and 100° horizontally) A larger front-ported cabinet with a re-designed 5-1/4" Kevlar woofer results in significantly expanding the low frequency response, down to a respectable 48Hz. (-3db)

So by about the time that I will finally get my (second) replacement pedal bar from Casio, I should be taking delivery of the new studio monitors/wall mounts. I can hardly wait to see, and to hear, my upgraded 870... I'll let you know how I make out!
Posted By: ˆTomLCˆ Re: My new Privia PX-870 has arrived!! - 11/10/19 01:56 PM
You need to name her, Glen. Px-870 sounds like a robot. wink
Posted By: camperbc Re: My new Privia PX-870 has arrived!! - 11/11/19 08:58 PM
Originally Posted by TomLC
You need to name her, Glen. Px-870 sounds like a robot. wink

I was thinking I'd go with "Karen"...
Posted By: Muskellunge Re: My new Privia PX-870 has arrived!! - 11/11/19 11:09 PM
Unfortunately it will be a long time before I need to improve the sound of my px 870. For my current plinky plunky ability, the 870 sounds plenty good as is.

I’m surprised you’re not happy with the sound of the bass keys, Glen, I think they have plenty of depth. But like I said, I’m a newbie to the piano.

I’m curious to play a buddies Kawai upright during Xmas when I visit...compare.

Muskie.
Posted By: Muskellunge Re: My new Privia PX-870 has arrived!! - 11/11/19 11:18 PM
BTW... Don’t know if you’ve seen it or not, but there’s a pretty cool vid on YouTube where a guy takes an 870 keyboard and speakers and mounts them in an old grand piano he has. It’s an interesting vid to watch if you own an 870. Or at least I thought it was.
Posted By: djvu10 Re: My new Privia PX-870 has arrived!! - 11/11/19 11:46 PM
I was expecting something kinda ridiculous but it turned out to be something quite amazing, thank you for sharing!!!
Posted By: Muskellunge Re: My new Privia PX-870 has arrived!! - 11/12/19 12:24 AM
The guy’s pretty clever. I liked how he hung the grand’s harp on his wall as artwork in his music room. That’s a good look.👍
Posted By: camperbc Re: My new Privia PX-870 has arrived!! - 11/12/19 01:24 AM
Unfortunately it will be a long time before I need to improve the sound of my px 870. For my current plinky plunky ability, the 870 sounds plenty good as is. I’m surprised you’re not happy with the sound of the bass keys, Glen, I think they have plenty of depth. But like I said, I’m a newbie to the piano. I’m curious to play a buddies Kawai upright during Xmas when I visit...compare.
Muskie.

Now don't get me wrong Muskie, I love the sound that this instrument makes. I'm quite pleasantly surprised that Casio can make their DP's sound so good right out of the box, particularly at this price point. But the included speakers can only provide so much "oomph" when it comes to the lower register. (is actually pretty decent with the piano tones, but as for the organs... not so much) I don't wish to make it sound unnatural with too much bass, but am interested in seeing if I can make the lower notes stand out just a bit more.
Posted By: Muskellunge Re: My new Privia PX-870 has arrived!! - 11/12/19 02:52 AM
I’m pretty sure some people poo poo the 870 just because of the Casio name. Throw their preferred brand label on it and they’d be praising it. That’s just how it goes w/ brand recognition. I’m also sure there’s much better dig pianos out there, but this one with its size, looks and features is perfect for me.... and for you too from what I’ve read.👍

I received the midi/printer cable for the iPad and it works fine w/ the Casio app. Shows all the settings and what not. Found out the default tempo for the metronome is120ppm... for what that’s worth. What I don’t get is what the heck the standard USB port on the 870 is for.. the one next to the midi port? I plugged my iPad into that using my Apple charge cord and it did nadda. So what is it for.... just curious?

I’m glad that you as an experienced pianist gives the 870 the thumbs up. Makes me certain I chose an excellent dig piano.

Muskie
Posted By: camperbc Re: My new Privia PX-870 has arrived!! - 11/12/19 03:46 AM
I’m pretty sure some people poo poo the 870 just because of the Casio name. Throw their preferred brand label on it and they’d be praising it. That’s just how it goes w/ brand recognition. I’m also sure there’s much better dig pianos out there, but this one with its size, looks and features is perfect for me.... and for you too from what I’ve read.👍 I received the midi/printer cable for the iPad and it works fine w/ the Casio app. Shows all the settings and what not. Found out the default tempo for the metronome is120ppm... for what that’s worth. What I don’t get is what the heck the standard USB port on the 870 is for.. the one next to the midi port? I plugged my iPad into that using my Apple charge cord and it did nadda. So what is it for.... just curious? I’m glad that you as an experienced pianist gives the 870 the thumbs up. Makes me certain I chose an excellent dig piano.
Muskie

The standard USB port is for if you wish to use a thumb drive to make a copy of your performances, (saved as a WAV file) then you can transfer these to your computer, etc. Also, you can use this same port to add any WAV files to your piano, from your computer. (using same thumb drive)

Yes, I too have received my new printer cable in the mail, and I find that this Chordana Piano app works very well... is much easier for accessing/managing the PX-870's many settings.
Posted By: Muskellunge Re: My new Privia PX-870 has arrived!! - 11/12/19 07:14 PM
OK... all that makes sense. I’d imagine the next iteration Privia will have Bluetooth.

Muskie
Posted By: camperbc Re: My new Privia PX-870 - 11/17/19 12:43 AM
The second replacement pedal bar was finally shipped out yesterday, (Nov 15th) so I can likely expect to see it by the end of next week. (fingers crossed!) Also, my new Presonus studio monitors should be arriving at about the same time, as they too shipped yesterday.

I just thought of something that for some reason didn't dawn on me sooner... I could have easily disassembled the 3-pedal assembly from the replacement pedal bar, and then simply switch out the faulty pedals for the working ones. As you may know, I was sent the wrong length of pedal bar, but because its sustain function works fine, I could have replaced just the pedals, rather than have Casio ship out yet another pedal bar. They informed me last week that they they don't want the parts returned to them; (the original assembly that came with the piano, as well as the first replacement that was too short) in hindsight I should have suggested that they not even bother to send yet another one. Oh well, at least now I'll have a spare set of pedals if mine ever break!

My usual spinal issues (in addition to a nasty flu bug!) are preventing me from playing today, but I've been lying here trying to picture how the piano would look without the big TV parked behind it. I'm not sure if I should try relocating the TV to another wall altogether, or possibly just raise it 3 inches higher and about 3 inches over to the right; aside from better aesthetics, this would allow enough space on either side to mount my monitors. The only downside is that this will place the TV directly over the bottom portion of our electrical panel box, thus making it difficult to access the bottom few rows of breakers without first having to remove the TV from the wall. But I suppose that I could rig up a little hook or something, for access to the breakers.

So anyway, by tomorrow I hope to be feeling a little better, and will try to re-mount the TV up and over, so that by the time my new monitors arrive there will be space to put them. In the meantime, here's a pic of the monitors that I have ordered. This is the next generation of Presonus's old "Eris E5" model, now called the "Eris E5 XT". I needed them to be quite compact (no more than 8" in width) in order to squeeze them into this small space, and these seem to be about the best overall for my needs. The woofers are just 5-1/4", but combined with its newly-designed front port, they should be capable of improving the overall sound, and particularly in the lower register without the addition of a subwoofer. Sure, I can always add a sub later if it turns out that these monitors by themselves aren't up to the task, but from everything that I've been hearing/reading, I think it's unlikely that I will need one. Once the monitors are delivered and installed, I'll take a couple pics of my setup and post on here.

Here's hoping that you're all having a very enjoyable and relaxing weekend!!

[Linked Image]
Presonus Eris E5 XT studio monitors
Posted By: camperbc Re: My new Privia PX-870 - 11/26/19 07:17 PM
WOO-HOO!!!! My long-awaited replacement pedal bar has finally arrived! (the original pedals were defective, and the first replacement wasn't the right length) I just hooked this one up and it's a 110% improvement! Wow, it now sustains practically forever, as opposed to just a very few seconds. Plus I now have an actual functioning half-pedal feature! The difference, from what I've been accustomed to playing over this past month or so, is astounding. I just gave this one a good test-run, and now I can say that I am fully satisfied with my purchase!

So this begs the question... how is it that some people have talked about Casio pianos having too short of a sustain? Is every model different then? Surely no one really needs it to go on for more than half a minute at a stretch, right? And I'm pretty darned sure that no piece I've ever played required me to hold it down for that length of time.

I haven't sat at a concert grand in eons, so I can't really recall much about the sustain in comparison to my PX-870; perhaps someone can tell me what would be considered a "normal" (on average) rate of decay for an acoustic grand? All I know for certain is that the sustain I now have seems absolutely perfect for my needs! yippie

Now I have one digital piano... and three pedal bars... maybe I should start my own parts store! grin
Posted By: magicpiano Re: My new Privia PX-870 - 11/26/19 07:46 PM
Have you tried the Presonus with your DP?
Posted By: camperbc Re: My new Privia PX-870 - 11/26/19 08:03 PM
Originally Posted by magicpiano
Have you tried the Presonus with your DP?

I just tracked my Presonus Eris E5 XT shipment, and it's currently sitting in Moncton, NB, so we should be seeing them within the next couple days. (it takes forever to get stuff shipped to our remote island!) I will report back once I have the new monitors installed, and will post pics of my setup.
Posted By: Eli26 Re: My new Privia PX-870 - 11/26/19 08:11 PM
Cool, didn't the Leafs used to have a farm team there? (Maple Leafs for any non-Canadians)
Posted By: camperbc Re: My new Privia PX-870 - 11/26/19 08:29 PM
Originally Posted by Eli26
Cool, didn't the Leafs used to have a farm team there? (Maple Leafs for any non-Canadians)

I think so... weren't they called the New Brunswick Hawks?
Posted By: djvu10 Re: My new Privia PX-870 - 11/27/19 07:10 AM
Glad to hear you're all taken care of; enjoy your new Casio!!!
Posted By: camperbc Re: My new Privia PX-870 - 11/27/19 09:40 PM
Originally Posted by djvu10
Glad to hear you're all taken care of; enjoy your new Casio!!!

Thanks, djvu10! And my beautiful Presonus Eris E5 XT studio monitors were just delivered late this afternoon! I will write more tomorrow, once I've gotten them hooked up and adjusted/tested.
Posted By: camperbc Re: My new Privia PX-870 - 11/28/19 05:59 PM
Sheesh, I'm having major issues with this website today! The lengthy post I made last night about my new Presonus studio monitors completely vanished, and when I went to post it again... it vanished again. Next time I checked in, both posts were visible, then a moment later they were gone again. Let's try this one more time!!

The long-awaited Presonus Eris "E5 XT" studio monitors are now hooked up to my Privia PX-870, although my wall mounting brackets have yet to arrive, but will hopefully be here tomorrow. So for the time being, I simply placed them right on the floor directly under the piano. Of course I wasn't really expecting this temporary setup to sound like much of anything, so you can just imagine my surprise (utter shock!) at how terrific my piano sounds!

This instrument sounded very nice right out of the box, but WOW, the contrast between the onboard speakers and these studio monitors is night and day! I didn't know for sure if the small-ish (5-1/4") woofers would be capable of providing enough of a bass improvement without also having to add a subwoofer to the mix, so I was very pleasantly surprised to discover that I most certainly do not need to add a sub! There's a vast improvement to the lower register; not muddy or boomy at all, and sounding remarkably authentic... it reminded me right away of my last Festival Of Stars event I was ever part of, playing in a large concert hall on a gorgeous 9ft Steinway. I am so impressed, that I can't stop talking about it! For about $400 ($300US) for the pair of E5 XT's, I now have a piano that, quite unbelievably, sounds like a million bucks!

I imagine that these monitors will sound even better still, (is this even possible!?!?) once I have them mounted at ear level, hopefully within the next day or two. I cannot recommend these monitors highly enough! I did a ton of research prior to buying these, and everything I learned pointed to them being a big improvement over the old E5's, (which themselves are pretty great) but many were quick to add that there's just no way that a 5.25" woofer could ever provide enough bass. But I just wish that I could invite everyone over to our house for a little recital, because I can assure you that there is just no need at all to improve upon the bass that these little gems are putting out! And then there's that beautiful midrange which sounds utterly breathtaking! And the high notes are every bit as clean/clear and "tinkly" as I remember them sounding on that lovely Steinway years ago!

Well that's about all for now, as I must return to my piano!... but I just wanted to let you all know that if you ever wish to improve upon the sound of your DP without breaking the bank, these Presonus monitors will definitely do the trick!!
Posted By: Tyrone Slothrop Re: My new Privia PX-870 - 11/28/19 06:16 PM
Sheesh, I'm having major issues with this website today! The lengthy post I made last night about my new Presonus studio monitors completely vanished, and when I went to post it again... it vanished again. Next time I checked in, both posts were visible, then a moment later they were gone again. Let's try this one more time!!

You should report your forum issue in this thread here. There are a lot of different issues. Yours sounds new.
Posted By: camperbc Re: My new Privia PX-870 - 11/28/19 06:30 PM
You should report your forum issue in this thread here. There are a lot of different issues. Yours sounds new.

Done. Thanks Tyrone!
Posted By: pwl Re: My new Privia PX-870 - 11/28/19 10:37 PM
I've had similar good results with small monitors on the floor. Enhanced bass, with mids and highs "diffused" around the instrument similar to what I get sitting down at an acoustic. I realize this isn't the ideal setup for everyone, but it can be quite nice!
Posted By: TheophilusCarter Re: My new Privia PX-870 - 11/28/19 11:24 PM
Yep, I put a couple of decent sized bookshelf speakers on the floor underneath my PX-830 on each side, and it did wonders for the sound.
Posted By: camperbc Re: My new Privia PX-870 - 11/29/19 01:02 AM
Originally Posted by pwl
I've had similar good results with small monitors on the floor. Enhanced bass, with mids and highs "diffused" around the instrument similar to what I get sitting down at an acoustic. I realize this isn't the ideal setup for everyone, but it can be quite nice!

Originally Posted by TheophilusCarter
Yep, I put a couple of decent sized bookshelf speakers on the floor underneath my PX-830 on each side, and it did wonders for the sound.

I only sat them there on the floor in order to plug them in to ensure they were working ok... and they sounded absolutely brilliant right there under the piano... go figure! And I honestly didn't expect them to sound like much at all, positioned under the piano like that. I always had the impression that studio monitors were best positioned at ear height.

So now I'm really interested to see how well they will perform once I get them on the wall! Yes, I know this may not be the ideal place to mount them, but due to our limited space, it's about the only other place they can go. (no room for stands) But at least they won't be right up flush against the wall, (will be several inches out) so they might be ok like that. And the ports are located in front, if that helps. Plus there's plenty of adjustments on the rear to fine-tune them.

I've been experimenting today with listening to the monitors by themselves, and also with the onboard speakers left on. I prefer the quality of the sound when the monitors and the piano's speakers are on, though even just the monitors by themselves still sound pretty amazing! I will experiment again once I get them mounted, but I'm thinking it may still sound best with the piano's speakers left on; I'll let you know my findings once I get the monitors in place. I honestly can't really see how they could possibly sound any better than they already do, but we'll see!!
Posted By: magicpiano Re: My new Privia PX-870 - 11/29/19 05:45 PM
Nice, me too was thinking about buying those speakers. Have you tried to place them on the piano cabinet?
Posted By: camperbc Re: My new Privia PX-870 - 11/29/19 08:50 PM
Nice, me too was thinking about buying those speakers. Have you tried to place them on the piano cabinet?

Magicpiano, I'm a bit reluctant to try that, as the top of my piano cabinet is a mere 5 inches deep, and the monitors are 9 inches deep... with my luck these speakers (at 11 pounds each) would crash to the floor... or worse yet, fall right onto the keys! I was hoping that my wall mounts would have arrived in today's mail, but stormy weather/high seas has caused many cancellations of the ferries traveling between Nova Scotia and Newfoundland, so our mail service has been disrupted several times in recent days. But with any luck my mounts should arrive on Monday, allowing me to place the monitors up and out of harms way!
Posted By: magicpiano Re: My new Privia PX-870 - 11/29/19 10:50 PM
Mmmh... So they are about 2-3cm bigger than the Eris E5 (no XT) but they are both 70W. I wonder if I would feel a significant difference between the two E5 (normal and XT) when used with some piano sounds. From the specs the XT have a slightly better bass response (min.freq.: 48Hz the XT, 53Hz the standard E5) but I'm more interested in the quality of the middle/high frequencies for the piano sounds.
Posted By: camperbc Re: My new Privia PX-870 - 11/30/19 12:02 AM
Mmmh... So they are about 2-3cm bigger than the Eris E5 (no XT) but they are both 70W. I wonder if I would feel a significant difference between the two E5 (normal and XT) when used with some piano sounds. From the specs the XT have a slightly better bass response (min.freq.: 48Hz the XT, 53Hz the standard E5) but I'm more interested in the quality of the middle/high frequencies for the piano sounds.

The Presonus website lists both the new and old models as being rated at 80 watts. (35W HF + 45W LF) I chose the XT after learning that they are supposedly much-improved over the old E5, with cleaner/deeper bass response, AND a better-controlled (much wider) "sweet spot". So, the middle and high frequencies are also bound to be improved with the new design.

So I think it's well worth paying the extra amount for the XT model. Otherwise, you just may discover that the E5's won't provide quite enough "oomph" to the lower register as well as to the mids and highs, and then you just might find yourself searching for a deal on a sub, even if you didn't think you needed/wanted better bass response. So, then it would be cheaper/simpler in the end to just buy the XT's and be done with it.

The one area in which I found my PX-870's onboard speakers lacking, was with the lower register. A "real" grand piano's lower notes have SO much more bass in comparison. With the E5 XT's, your digital piano will sound much more "authentic"; better than you ever believed possible. There's a YouTube video that compares the sound output of both the E5 and E5 XT, and the difference is quite noticeable, and not just in the lower octaves.

PS: I have watched a few online reviews where Presonus reps state that the new E5 XT goes a full 10Hz lower than the old E5, yet on their website it says just 5Hz lower. So it seems that someone must have their wires crossed; just not sure if it's the website specs that are wrong, or the company reps.
Posted By: magicpiano Re: My new Privia PX-870 has arrived!! - 11/30/19 01:06 PM
The area where my CN37 is lacking more is in the high frequencies area. It has 4 speakers, two facing down, another two facing up, but they are very middle-rangey so all you get is a boxy sound with no detail.

I found this nice video that compares the old E5 to the new E5 XT:

For what is worth a video, if you have very good headphones you should hear the differences. What I hear there is just what I was expecting. The XT have a little more bass presence (but, really, just a little little more... Nothing significative...). What I noticed more is that the high frequencies in the XT are more pronounced. I think that's the result of the new EBM (Elliptical Boundary Modeled) wave guide design.
But I have to say, the standard E5 don't sound bad at all... I think they are a little more flat and balanced compared with the XT. The standard E5, of course, have a lower price too (we are talking about 210 euros vs ~300 of the XT for the couple). I'm very confused on what I should choose...
Posted By: camperbc Re: My new Privia PX-870 has arrived!! - 11/30/19 01:23 PM
The area where my CN37 is lacking more is in the high frequencies area. It has 4 speakers, two facing down, another two facing up, but they are very middle-rangey so all you get is a boxy sound with no detail.

I found this nice video that compares the old E5 to the new E5 XT:

For what is worth a video, if you have very good headphones you should hear the differences. What I hear there is just what I was expecting. The XT have a little more bass presence (but, really, just a little little more... Nothing significative...). What I noticed more is that the high frequencies in the XT are more pronounced. I think that's the result of the new EBM (Elliptical Boundary Modeled) wave guide design.
But I have to say, the standard E5 don't sound bad at all... I think they are a little more flat and balanced compared with the XT. The standard E5, of course, have a lower price too (we are talking about 210 euros vs ~300 of the XT for the couple). I'm very confused on what I should choose...

With both the Bang & Olufsen H2 and Sennheiser HD-598 headphones, I can definitely hear a substantial improvement in bass, and also a much more "realistic" midrange and clear highs as well, in the comparison video between the E5 and E5 XT.

You can't go very far wrong with either model; they're both excellent monitors. So you just have to decide if you want the best sound or the lowest price.
Posted By: magicpiano Re: My new Privia PX-870 has arrived!! - 11/30/19 03:29 PM
I didn't notice that at the end of that video there is a graph with the frequency response of the two speakers:

[Linked Image]

As I suspected (so my ears and my headphones are not so bad yet laugh ), the E5 are more flat on the very high frequencies. On the low freqs, of course, the XT are better (much better I have to say, looking at that graph).
From what I see, it's like the XT did some equalization to the sound so that the high freqs are enhanced (maybe in a little unnatural way... I'm more oriented to a flat sound that recreates the original recording... But I guess you can always lower a little the highs with the rear knob).
About the low freqs, I see the XT can go about 10Hz lower than the standard E5... Maybe this improvement is somehow diminished by the stronger very high frequencies (those above 10K Hz) so I didn't feel a big difference.
Anyway, they are very good speakers for the price and I think they would both sound better than any internal piano speaker (also in consideration of the fact that you can position and adjust them in a way so that they will sound better in your room).
Posted By: camperbc Re: My new Privia PX-870 has arrived!! - 12/14/19 01:21 AM
So I have finally gotten around to mounting my new Presonus Eris "E5 XT" active studio monitors onto the wall behind my piano. I used quality (Rockwell RHSB8) mounting brackets, and it was an easy, clean install, taking perhaps 15 minutes from start to finish. I had just enough space on either side of the TV (which sits directly above the piano) to mount these speakers, and although my little corner music nook is pretty snug, with the monitors now in place I think it looks really cool! (if perhaps a wee bit "recording studio-ish") I will try to take a couple pics of my setup tomorrow and will post them on here.

And WOW, the sound!! I've always heard how it's such a bad idea to mount monitors on the wall, and especially in a corner, but I've got to say that this instrument now sounds so amazing... surprisingly authentic! Of course I thought it sounded very nice straight out of the box with its own onboard speakers, but Holy Cow, these E5 XT's really do bring out the very best of my PX-870! I couldn't really ask for anything more... I now have all the bass I need to make the lower register sound like the real deal, and the mids are so clear/clean, with the highs so lovely and "tinkly", and overall sounding much like a very good acoustic piano. The monitors on their own do sound really nice, but I prefer to include the piano's onboard sound system (40 watt amplifier/4 speakers) in addition to the monitors... and the results are outstanding!

There is certainly no need to add a subwoofer to this setup. As it stands, I have just the perfect amount of bass to allow me to actually "feel" the low notes without them sounding phoney. I cannot recommend these Presonus Eris E5 XTs highly enough! Money well spent! Photos coming soon.
Posted By: magicpiano Re: My new Privia PX-870 has arrived!! - 12/14/19 10:10 AM
Yes, me too I think it should be good to overlap the monitors sound with a little of sound from the internal speakers too, so that the overall effect would be more full and "spatial". If we think about it, in a real piano the sound is coming from many directions, not just from the struck strings: there are the vibrations from the large soundboard and from all the wooden body of the instrument... thumb
Posted By: camperbc Re: My new Privia PX-870 has arrived!! - 12/15/19 04:39 PM
Yes, me too I think it should be good to overlap the monitors sound with a little of sound from the internal speakers too, so that the overall effect would be more full and "spatial". If we think about it, in a real piano the sound is coming from many directions, not just from the struck strings: there are the vibrations from the large soundboard and from all the wooden body of the instrument... thumb

Agreed. To my ears, the sound becomes much more full and natural when I combine both the monitors and the PX-870's onboard speakers. The piano's upward-firing tweeters really add to the overall sound, just as the downward-facing woofers aid in making the overall sound more rounded/spatial.
Posted By: OldTinho Re: My new Privia PX-870 has arrived!! - 12/15/19 06:36 PM
Do you find that using the onboard speakers adds a small amount of haptic resonance through the keys? I used this method with my PX150 and monitors with Pianoteq and definitely felt more enveloped in sound.
Posted By: camperbc Re: My new Privia PX-870 has arrived!! - 12/16/19 08:33 PM
Originally Posted by OldTinho
Do you find that using the onboard speakers adds a small amount of haptic resonance through the keys? I used this method with my PX150 and monitors with Pianoteq and definitely felt more enveloped in sound.

The combined sound from both the monitors and the piano's onboard speakers definitely gives the PX-870 a much fuller, "more enveloped" sound experience than either just one or the other could ever provide on their own.

I just snapped this photo showing my Presonus Eris E5 XT studio monitors mounted on the wall. I think they look quite nice, and they sound incredible. I certainly won't have to add a subwoofer to this setup, as these monitors provide plenty of bass all on their own.

PS: I wanted to remove the TV from this wall, but as the Missus has pointed out, there's really no other space in our pint-sized living room to mount it. The silly part is that we don't even use this TV!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Charles Cohen Re: My new Privia PX-870 has arrived!! - 12/16/19 11:53 PM
Interesting --

As you have them mounted, when you're playing, your head is outside the main coverage area of the Eris tweeters:

. . . So what you're hearing from them is direct + reflected bass, and reflected treble.

Adding a bit of reverb might improve things further.

Re-orienting the Eris boxes, to bring your ears more in-line with the tweeters, might be worth trying.

But such things are both room-dependent, and matters of taste.

. . . It sounds like you're enjoying the sound already.
Posted By: camperbc Re: My new Privia PX-870 has arrived!! - 12/17/19 12:13 AM
Originally Posted by Charles Cohen
Interesting --As you have them mounted, when you're playing, your head is outside the main coverage area of the Eris tweeters:. . . So what you're hearing from them is direct + reflected bass, and reflected treble. Adding a bit of reverb might improve things further. Re-orienting the Eris boxes, to bring your ears more in-line with the tweeters, might be worth trying. But such things are both room-dependent, and matters of taste. . . It sounds like you're enjoying the sound already.

Charles, I normally have the monitors turned inward and slightly downward when I am playing, so that my head is in fact right in the middle of the tweeters' coverage area, (sounds really lovely!) though I straightened them out just to take the photo. But I don't think it's even possible to make these monitors sound bad... prior to mounting them on the wall, I had them placed right there on the floor, directly under the piano... and they still sounded amazing!!

I am admittedly a bit too much of a perfectionist when it comes to my music. (my playing, and also the sound of the instrument) I want everything to be just as perfect as I can make it, and I am very pleased with this simple setup. It really does sound terrific! And rather than spending several thousand dollars for a great sounding DP, I have great results from just my inexpensive PX-870 and a modest pair of studio monitors. I figure I saved a bundle!
Posted By: Muskellunge Re: My new Privia PX-870 has arrived!! - 12/19/19 12:52 PM
Looking good there Glen. I like the wall color.

Your setup has gotta sound awesome with the combo sound.... super full! Suppose for some crazy reason you could play only through the onboard speakers or only the external speakers, not combine them, which would you choose? I’d guess the onboard speakers because of the “haptic resonance” factor Oldtinho mentions. It almost seems like the onboard would give a more acoustic feel.... but I could be totally wrong.
Muskie
Posted By: Muskellunge Re: My new Privia PX-870 has arrived!! - 12/19/19 01:56 PM
PS... I still want to plug in my little Roland ac33 amp into my 870. I’m curious how it’d sound in combo with the onboard. With the upcoming xmas break from work I’ll have a little more free time, may just do that.
Posted By: camperbc Re: My new Privia PX-870 has arrived!! - 12/19/19 02:04 PM
Looking good there Glen. I like the wall color. Your setup has gotta sound awesome with the combo sound.... super full! Suppose for some crazy reason you could play only through the onboard speakers or only the external speakers, not combine them, which would you choose? I’d guess the onboard speakers because of the “haptic resonance” factor Oldtinho mentions. It almost seems like the onboard would give a more acoustic feel.... but I could be totally wrong.
Muskie

Thanks Muskie, the wall colour is "terra cotta" and I like it too!

It's interesting that when I first got my PX-870, I was very pleasantly surprised at just how nice the onboard speakers sounded. Yet once I added the monitors to the mix, it sounded worlds better! But if I were forced to choose between either the monitors or the built-in speakers, (I've experimented with this thoroughly both ways) it would indeed be a difficult choice, as either way sounds quite nice all on their own. (the onboard speakers really envelop you, while the monitors create more bass that you can actually feel, so the lower register now sounds much more realistic)

But when they're combined, it's a whole new ball game... now you have the best of both worlds, and it sounds authentically acoustic... which is what most anyone with a DP strives to achieve.
Posted By: Jethro Re: My new Privia PX-870 has arrived!! - 12/19/19 04:35 PM
Looking good there Glen. I like the wall color. Your setup has gotta sound awesome with the combo sound.... super full! Suppose for some crazy reason you could play only through the onboard speakers or only the external speakers, not combine them, which would you choose? I’d guess the onboard speakers because of the “haptic resonance” factor Oldtinho mentions. It almost seems like the onboard would give a more acoustic feel.... but I could be totally wrong.
Muskie

Thanks Muskie, the wall colour is "terra cotta" and I like it too!

It's interesting that when I first got my PX-870, I was very pleasantly surprised at just how nice the onboard speakers sounded. Yet once I added the monitors to the mix, it sounded worlds better! But if I were forced to choose between either the monitors or the built-in speakers, (I've experimented with this thoroughly both ways) it would indeed be a difficult choice, as either way sounds quite nice all on their own. (the onboard speakers really envelop you, while the monitors create more bass that you can actually feel, so the lower register now sounds much more realistic)

But when they're combined, it's a whole new ball game... now you have the best of both worlds, and it sounds authentically acoustic... which is what most anyone with a DP strives to achieve.

Hey Camperbc, did you ever make the final decision to build that extension to your home to house an acoustic piano to go along with that fine digital?
© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums