Piano World Home Page
Posted By: casio1500 Best Tone for this song with my piano - 10/09/19 11:51 PM
Hi
Take a listen to this song
https://www.musicnotes.com/sheetmusi...?ppn=MN0161627
Ignoring the melody/vocals; it is being played in the tone of a piano, but it dose not sound very good.

Any ideas on a better tone for it that I could use with my casio 1500 keyboard from the list in the link please?

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1219530/Casio-Ctk-1500.html?page=24
Posted By: FrankCox Re: Best Tone for this song with my piano - 10/10/19 03:23 AM
Why wouldn't you experiment and find the one that sounds the best to you?

Isn't that kind of the point of playing it yourself? You can play it however you want to play it and using any of the available voices that you choose.
Posted By: Gombessa Re: Best Tone for this song with my piano - 10/10/19 03:48 AM
If you're playing a MIDI file generated from online sheet music, it mainly sounds bad because there are no (or very few) dynamics or voicing. Sheets show very sparse information and the automated player takes into account even less. I'm sure the piano tone used isn't the greatest, but it really won't sound much better even if played through the best VST. It'll still sound like a robot.
The link is dead and we don't know what your Casio sounds sound like.
If you want to make it sound like the original, then maybe the distortion guitar tone 30, but I don’t know what that sound like on your keyboard. It also depends how you play the piece. Try them and see what you like. Own it!
Posted By: casio1500 Re: Best Tone for this song with my piano - 10/10/19 05:40 PM
[
Originally Posted by clothearednincompo

Sorry I dont know what happeneded. try this one
https://www.musicnotes.com/sheetmusic/mtd.asp?ppn=MN0161627

Originally Posted by Gombessa
If you're playing a MIDI file generated from online sheet music, it mainly sounds bad because there are no (or very few) dynamics or voicing. Sheets show very sparse information and the automated player takes into account even less. I'm sure the piano tone used isn't the greatest, but it really won't sound much better even if played through the best VST. It'll still sound like a robot.

That score is just to see what it will sounds like, I will play the score on my casio 1500 keyboard
Originally Posted by casio1500
[

Wow. Toy piano.
Posted By: casio1500 Re: Best Tone for this song with my piano - 10/10/19 06:57 PM
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
[

Wow. Toy piano.

??????
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
Wow. Toy piano.
??????

sound
Posted By: Just Alan Re: Best Tone for this song with my piano - 10/11/19 04:41 AM
Dear Casio 1500, If you are using a Casio CTK-1500, it is very much an entry level digital keyboard and simply will not be able to produce the same level of really nice piano sounds that far more expensive and superior products can produce. It is restricted to 32 voice polyphony, which is as low as some digital keyboards produced in the early 1990s! Instruments are built to suit various price-points in the market, thus it is much harder to find an entry level keyboard with killer sounds. I'll qualify that comment by agreeing that some of the latest entry level digital pianos have some very acceptable sounds, but they are still a far superior instrument compared to what is available on a Casio CTK-1500. No one is trying to be discourteous, but I suspect that is why someone described the Casio as a 'toy piano". We've all got to start somewhere, and with something within our budget, so I applaud you for getting involved with music. The comments about playback of a midi score are also relevant. Such playback will usually use a keyboard's General Midi sounds, but these will still not be a match for dedicated high quality sounds, but at least usable to a common standard.
Posted By: Dave Horne Re: Best Tone for this song with my piano - 10/11/19 08:48 AM
I just took a look at the sheet music at that link and seriously question your labeling of the chords.
Originally Posted by Just Alan
No one is trying to be discourteous, but I suspect that is why someone described the Casio as a 'toy piano".
`
Oops, I didn’t mean his DP at all. I don’t know what his DP sounds like. He posted a link to a score. When I click on the “play” button on the website, the website itself renders the score using a toy piano sound.
Posted By: casio1500 Re: Best Tone for this song with my piano - 10/11/19 05:02 PM
Originally Posted by Dave Horne
I just took a look at the sheet music at that link and seriously question your labeling of the chords.
????
Posted By: magicpiano Re: Best Tone for this song with my piano - 10/11/19 05:31 PM
It's a pop song from 1981. It has guitars and synthesized sounds. No piano played in the original song... So I think if you should use synth sounds (electric pianos, clavinet, polysinth, etc.).
Posted By: casio1500 Re: Best Tone for this song with my piano - 10/11/19 08:21 PM
Originally Posted by magicpiano
It's a pop song from 1981. It has guitars and synthesized sounds. No piano played in the original song... So I think if you should use synth sounds (electric pianos, clavinet, polysinth, etc.).

but will my piano allow me to play the guitars and synthesized sounds
Posted By: magicpiano Re: Best Tone for this song with my piano - 10/11/19 08:38 PM

I don't know the features of the particular digital piano you have, but from the tone list link in your first post, I think it has plenty of sounds to choice from.
At the end of the day, it's "you" that have to play the piano and see if you can achieve what you want... We cannot be of much help on this matter. What can I say is just that, being "Girls on Film" a pop song from 1981, I guess your digital piano can be used to make sounds similar to that of that time.
Posted By: casio1500 Re: Best Tone for this song with my piano - 10/11/19 09:15 PM
OK this is not really helping
Posted By: DSC Re: Best Tone for this song with my piano - 10/11/19 11:32 PM

If you are hoping to recreate the original sound of the song as performed by Duran Duran, which uses multiple instruments simultaneously (guitar/drums/synths), it might be possible to approximate the sound, if you can determine which what rhythm pattern the song uses and can figure out how to control the drums/bass and 2 synth sounds your piano is capable of. However, based on my experience with a Yamaha keyboard with even more features than your casio, it'll be a lot of work on your part.

I never figured out how to do it to my satisfaction for other pop songs and my Yamaha. Hopefully, you are more skilled at it than I was.

Posted By: casio1500 Re: Best Tone for this song with my piano - 10/12/19 03:56 AM
OK thanks
Best find another song then
Posted By: TheodorN Re: Best Tone for this song with my piano - 10/12/19 08:02 AM

Not sure if I understand your question correctly, but you play the internal sounds with the keys of the Casio CTK1500. Sorry if I'm stating the obvious, but this is how I understood your question.

If I were in your shoes, I'd simply use my ears, try a few different voices (sounds) and see (hear) what sounds best. If you prefer, you can post one or more recordings, and ask us if we think the voices work well for this song.
Posted By: casio1500 Re: Best Tone for this song with my piano - 10/12/19 08:33 PM
I was kind of wanting to know if the song would sound good enough or not with out wasting a week lerning it
Posted By: DSC Re: Best Tone for this song with my piano - 10/12/19 11:16 PM
OK thanks
Best find another song then

It’s not so much the song you pick, it’s how sophisticated you want the song to sound as you play it. You can play song you chose as it is written in the sheet music you provided, but it will never sound better than the MIDI file we listened too. You will need to learn how to use your casio to make an arrangement that you like. That’s what I mean when I said it was a lot of work. You will need to learn what instruments make the sounds you want and when they should be playing to produce the sound you want. I would suggest you look into music production using MIDI controllers and digital audio workstation software like Apple’s Garageband to see if that is the direction you are looking for.
Posted By: casio1500 Re: Best Tone for this song with my piano - 10/13/19 10:57 AM
That song I have sang to backing tracks. To be honest all I want is to find some of the songs I have sang bafore and play the instuments with my keyboard busking on the street; but it would need to sound half decent
© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums