Piano World Home Page
Posted By: iLogic I wish I could play... - 09/01/19 06:15 PM

La Campanella and Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2. That would be so awesome. Oh and why not Moonlight Sonata 3rd Movement as well.

Anyone played any of these? I’m guessing the Liszt ones are incredibly hard, almost impossible on my NU1X, given the upright action. Beethoven is hard as well of course, but it seems more manageable. Also, my hands aren’t oversized, that’s a minus as well.

I’m watching these pros on YouTube and it makes me want to play these pieces so so much. But one can at least dream right?
Posted By: dmd Re: I wish I could play... - 09/01/19 06:29 PM
Originally Posted by iLogic

La Campanella and Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2. That would be so awesome. Oh and why not Moonlight Sonata 3rd Movement as well.

Anyone played any of these? I’m guessing the Liszt ones are incredibly hard, almost impossible on my NU1X, given the upright action. Beethoven is hard as well of course, but it seems more manageable. Also, my hands aren’t oversized, that’s a minus as well.

I’m watching these pros on YouTube and it makes me want to play these pieces so so much. But one can at least dream right?

You can.

Let that "dream" inspire you and serve as daily incentive to get to work at making the dream come true.

It can happen you know.

You just have to make up your mind you are going to do your part.

Good Luck
Posted By: Tyrone Slothrop Re: I wish I could play... - 09/01/19 06:29 PM

Posted By: mwf Re: I wish I could play... - 09/01/19 07:03 PM
So many other pieces to choose from but everyone wants to play those ones, beethoven wrote over 30 piano sonatas, liszt wrote more paganini etudes and rhapsodies, all very great pieces.
Posted By: iLogic Re: I wish I could play... - 09/01/19 07:24 PM
Originally Posted by mwf
So many other pieces to choose from but everyone wants to play those ones, beethoven wrote over 30 piano sonatas, liszt wrote more paganini etudes and rhapsodies, all very great pieces.

Well yes, of course. I’ve learnt a lot of my favorite pieces already, and I’m on track on brushing up on a few I’ve started to forget, and I’m learning some new ones. All technically easier than these 3 (Moonlight Sonata 1st movement is one of my favorites for example, as well as Clair de Lune and I’m currently learning Chopin’s Nocturne in C-sharp minor).

These 3 are just some of the biggest challenges to master, if you are able to play these, you should pretty much be able to master all (or at least almost all) of the rest.
Posted By: magicpiano Re: I wish I could play... - 09/01/19 08:09 PM
I think there are many other great artists apart the usual mentioned.
I'm just starting on my DP with classical music. I learned Fur Elise, now I'm trying to learn Gurlitt Op.107 n.1, 4, 6, 7, 8. They are very nice and fun and in some of them I hear a little of Beethoven and Chopin, but with less dramatic emphasis. I'm searching for little but very expressive pieces like these.

From Chopin I wish I could play Fantasie Impromptu and Étude no.12 op.10, but for now they are too advanced for me (and maybe they always will be). I have my fingers a little sore just for playing many many times Fur Elise trying to reach a satisfactory result (and I'm not yet satisfied). So, I guess for now I'll learn some Gurlitt works. laugh
Posted By: Jitin Re: I wish I could play... - 09/01/19 08:46 PM
All of final fantasy music, and kingdom hearts especially this one

Posted By: CoJac Re: I wish I could play... - 09/01/19 08:57 PM
I have played the 3rd movement of moonlight and I wouldn't even know where to start with either of the liszt pieces! I think they are still a big step up from that. I also have pretty small hands there's only a few bits of moonlight sonata that it's a problem and you just get by that with a quick ripple!
Posted By: Tyrone Slothrop Re: I wish I could play... - 09/01/19 09:13 PM
La Campanella

RCM level 12

and Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2.

RCM level 11

Oh and why not Moonlight Sonata 3rd Movement as well.

AGME Grade 8 (about RCM level 9)
Posted By: magicpiano Re: I wish I could play... - 09/01/19 10:45 PM
It has to be so easy, if even little children can play it:

laugh

Try to go to 5:44 of this:

I think I believe in extra-terrestrial beings.
Posted By: Tyrone Slothrop Re: I wish I could play... - 09/02/19 12:09 AM
8 year old

a not 8 year old (but blindfolded)

Posted By: EPW Re: I wish I could play... - 09/02/19 12:20 AM
I got most of the third movement of Moonlight when I was 16ish. I never was able to master it though. Same thing with Hungarian Rhapsody I probably had 90% of it down and never could get the rest. This was at around age 19 or so in age.

I have no desire to go back and try them now in my mid 50's. I'm enjoying playing more from lead sheets these days. I'm glad I took lesson when I was a kid smile
Posted By: Tyrone Slothrop Re: I wish I could play... - 09/02/19 12:42 AM
Originally Posted by EPW
I got most of the third movement of Moonlight when I was 16ish. I never was able to master it though. Same thing with Hungarian Rhapsody I probably had 90% of it down and never could get the rest. This was at around age 19 or so in age.

I have no desire to go back and try them now in my mid 50's. I'm enjoying playing more from lead sheets these days. I'm glad I took lesson when I was a kid smile

How many years of lessons did you have as a kid? And did you pause your piano playing any between then and now? Or have you pretty much played continuously since you started?
Posted By: EPW Re: I wish I could play... - 09/02/19 02:52 AM
My Aunt taught me beginner stuff when I was 5 and then I took lessons from age 8-21. But I had other things going on so I was an average student. Plus I was one of those that didn't like classical music at the time.
I see now how it helped me but I fought until I was maybe 14 years old. I never could do the Aural training to this day because of hearing issues, so I knew I wasn't going to pursue it as a major in college. Wish I would of got a minor in music though.

Long story short I gave up piano for a good 10 years after my brother attempted suicide when I was just short of age 21. I went in a downward spiral myself where I didn't touch the piano at all. I ended up getting a digital piano so I could play at nighttime 25 years ago and have been playing for relaxation and enjoyment every since. I remember for the first two years after I brought the piano, I would practice from 10pm to midnight almost every day. I then joined some church groups playing keys for contemporary worship. I'm glad I got back to playing as that is how I met my now wife. I was playing for one of the church groups and she joined the group.

I guess I can say that music does heal the soul.

peace
Posted By: GNkyrios Re: I wish I could play... - 09/02/19 08:02 PM
People usually get into piano from hearing the most popular pieces. For me, i learned as a kid on my school the "chorus" of some popular pieces like for elise, some mozart ones, but just playing on a small keyboard with the right hand. So after about 20 years, when i started learning proper piano(proper as in a real like piano, a digital one, not that im taking classes or anything), i really didnt want to play what everyone knows and play, its like playing "por una cabeza" on violin(i learned violine for about 2-3 years), it gets tiresome to hear the same pieces from everyone (including street players).

But well, i still play some very comon pieces, but i just happen to like them, mostly Chopin, from a pianist called Tziv Erez i started to follow a couple years before getting into piano finally, so i had an idea of what pieces i wanted to play.

Moonlight Sonata mov 3 is also on that list, aswell as Fantasi Impromptu, Ballade no1, Appasionata mov 3, etc.
Posted By: mwf Re: I wish I could play... - 09/03/19 12:31 AM
Originally Posted by mwf

Well yes, of course. I’ve learnt a lot of my favorite pieces already, and I’m on track on brushing up on a few I’ve started to forget, and I’m learning some new ones. All technically easier than these 3 (Moonlight Sonata 1st movement is one of my favorites for example, as well as Clair de Lune and I’m currently learning Chopin’s Nocturne in C-sharp minor).

These 3 are just some of the biggest challenges to master, if you are able to play these, you should pretty much be able to master all (or at least almost all) of the rest.

Not true. They are all relatively easy advanced pieces of music, moonlight sonata.. Try Hammerklavier, la campanella... Try mazzeppa, feux follets or his beethoven symphony transcriptions or gallop A minor amongst loads of others... Hungarian rhapsody 2 is another standard advanced piece, some of the others are much harder like no.11 and no. 14, he did write 19 of them.

People tend to play these popular classical pieces purely to look good to non pianists as show off pieces.
Posted By: slipperykeys Re: I wish I could play... - 09/03/19 07:33 AM
Originally Posted by mwf

People tend to play these popular classical pieces purely to look good to non pianists as show off pieces.

Non-pianists will often be impressed with the scale of C Major if it is played well.

You might even be asked, "How do you remember all that?"
Posted By: CyberGene Re: I wish I could play... - 09/03/19 08:04 AM
I’ve been recently obsessed with not so flashy pieces. I prefer lyrical romantic repertoire that is often not (very) technically demanding but I’ve come to realize it requires a lot of dedication to make it sing and flow, almost like a song. I’m more concerned about that exquisite feel and lyricism than purely technical skills. Maybe it’s some compensatory complex I have developed due to lacking very good technique which is a result of being self taught for so many years and it’s probably too late now to repair that frown And so I concentrate more to interpretation, feel, rubato, fine pedaling, etc. IMO it’s almost equally difficult to do well.
Posted By: KevinM Re: I wish I could play... - 09/03/19 08:14 AM
Originally Posted by CyberGene
I’ve been recently obsessed with not so flashy pieces. I prefer lyrical romantic repertoire that is often not (very) technically demanding but I’ve come to realize it requires a lot of dedication to make it sing and flow, almost like a song. I’m more concerned about that exquisite feel and lyricism than purely technical skills. Maybe it’s some compensatory complex I have developed due to lacking very good technique which is a result of being self taught for so many years and it’s probably too late now to repair that frown And so I concentrate more to interpretation, feel, rubato, fine pedaling, etc. IMO it’s almost equally difficult to do well.

So true, and it can take an age to get a piece to sing like you want it to. For me getting it to sing how I want takes about 80% of the time.
Posted By: AlphaBravoCharlie Re: I wish I could play... - 09/03/19 08:56 AM

I agree 100%. Playing 'correct' notes is just the first step. I hear so many piano performances of technically demanding pieces on YouTube, which leave me cold. Maybe I'm jealous, because my technique is lacking wink But I have much more pleasure in listening to even simple pieces played with emotions which is translated by rich articulation.
Posted By: mwf Re: I wish I could play... - 09/03/19 10:37 AM
There's the whole hurdle of learning the notes, playing as a performance and not making mistakes whilst you play which I find the hardest part of all.
Posted By: CyberGene Re: I wish I could play... - 09/03/19 11:10 AM
I remember one of the latest concerts of Evgeni Bozhanov. For encore he played an unknown piece, very quiet, very lyrical. The entire hall was like enchanted, you could feel magic happening in his playing with every single note singing.

I thought it was a pianistic piece which is relatively difficult, at least that’s how it sounded to me. I had to research a lot to discover that the piece is actually a song for voice and piano called Morgen, by Richard Strauss, transcribed for solo piano by Max Reger. I found it on IMSLP and to my amazement it turned out to be so simple I could sight read it from start to end with no mistakes. But I can’t make it sing at all frown

Evgeni Bozhanov has included it as a title piece on his album Morgen to be released this month and the entire piece is available as a preview on Apple Music:
Evgeni Bozhanov - Morgen
Posted By: iLogic Re: I wish I could play... - 09/03/19 11:13 AM
Originally Posted by mwf
Originally Posted by mwf

Not true. They are all relatively easy advanced pieces of music, moonlight sonata.. Try Hammerklavier, la campanella... Try mazzeppa, feux follets or his beethoven symphony transcriptions or gallop A minor amongst loads of others... Hungarian rhapsody 2 is another standard advanced piece, some of the others are much harder like no.11 and no. 14, he did write 19 of them.

I think you might have misunderstood me. The one's I listed here are easier. Sonata 3rd Mvt, La Campanella and HR no.2 were the ones I meant was the hardest pieces. Sure the Sonata isn't on par with Liszt's in terms of difficulty, but it's still difficult.

Of course there are others as well. La Contrabandista for example...
Posted By: iLogic Re: I wish I could play... - 09/03/19 11:16 AM
I'm kinda obsessed with Chopin at the moment. When I've mastered Nocturne in C-sharp Minor I will give Nocturne no.13 in C minor OP 48 no.1 a go.
Posted By: Tenor1 Re: I wish I could play... - 09/03/19 11:41 AM
I heard Jessie Norman sing this years ago and she was magical. I would suggest listening to The Four Last Songs also by Strauss.

I remember one of the latest concerts of Evgeni Bozhanov. For encore he played an unknown piece, very quiet, very lyrical. The entire hall was like enchanted, you could feel magic happening in his playing with every single note singing.

I thought it was a pianistic piece which is relatively difficult, at least that’s how it sounded to me. I had to research a lot to discover that the piece is actually a song for voice and piano called Morgen, by Richard Strauss, transcribed for solo piano by Max Reger. I found it on IMSLP and to my amazement it turned out to be so simple I could sight read it from start to end with no mistakes. But I can’t make it sing at all frown

Evgeni Bozhanov has included it as a title piece on his album Morgen to be released this month and the entire piece is available as a preview on Apple Music:
Evgeni Bozhanov - Morgen
Posted By: bennevis Re: I wish I could play... - 09/03/19 12:36 PM

Evgeni Bozhanov - Morgen

Thanks for that heads-up for that lovely song transcription, which is just about the only slow dreamy piece I currently play. smirk

Though I play it slightly faster - sustaining a long melody entirely on the piano (especially with notes above and below it and a different counter-melody in the accompaniment) doesn't work so well when played too slowly, even on my magnificent digital with its long sustain. wink

I got his CD of 'Evgeni Bozhanov live in Warsaw' a few years ago (after the Chopin Competition 2010) and was pretty impressed.

This is one of the best versions of the original song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQvWBvyrMfU

Though in many ways, the orchestral version works better:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qURtlClAkGU (I play it at this speed)
Posted By: Bobby Simons Re: I wish I could play... - 09/03/19 12:38 PM
My current 'I wish I could play'. . . .

Posted By: EPW Re: I wish I could play... - 09/03/19 04:18 PM
I think she is from another planet smile
Posted By: Tyrone Slothrop Re: I wish I could play... - 09/03/19 04:43 PM
Originally Posted by magicpiano
I think I believe in extra-terrestrial beings.
Originally Posted by EPW
I think she is from another planet smile

Is this the UFO convention?
Posted By: EPW Re: I wish I could play... - 09/03/19 05:03 PM
If it is, I'm going.
Posted By: GNkyrios Re: I wish I could play... - 09/03/19 05:15 PM
I'm kinda obsessed with Chopin at the moment. When I've mastered Nocturne in C-sharp Minor I will give Nocturne no.13 in C minor OP 48 no.1 a go.

As some Chopin pieces, the first half is calm and not so demanding, but at half way poing.... I quit it until i can do better, but im hopping to finish it at some point.
Posted By: EPW Re: I wish I could play... - 09/03/19 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by AlphaBravoCharlie

I agree 100%. Playing 'correct' notes is just the first step. I hear so many piano performances of technically demanding pieces on YouTube, which leave me cold. Maybe I'm jealous, because my technique is lacking wink But I have much more pleasure in listening to even simple pieces played with emotions which is translated by rich articulation.

I agree with this 100%. I found I like playing slower pieces and trying to bring out more emotions.
Whether I'm successful or not is another story grin
My wife likes when I doodle around on the keyboard cool
Posted By: Granyala Re: I wish I could play... - 09/04/19 07:53 AM
I doubt these pieces super technical are feasible for me.
What I'd like to be able to play:

What I am currently "working" on (never mind the ridiculous speed on this one, obviously I "play" it at a snails pace.... an asthmatic snail with a walker that is. laugh )
My teacher still thinks it's cool but my assessment is that the piece is too far "out there" atm. laugh
Posted By: magicpiano Re: I wish I could play... - 09/04/19 12:13 PM
Very nice the piece in the last video above. I played many japanese RPG. They are full of evocative piano pieces. Sometimes the music is what make me want to play a game more than the game itself.
Posted By: AlphaBravoCharlie Re: I wish I could play... - 09/04/19 12:34 PM
I've never played Final Fantasy video game, but I've heard piece called 'Yuna's Ballad' in some VST comparision. Really easy to play but fun sounding at the same time. My poor attempt:

Btw, can someone help me identify THIS piece? I've heard it somewhere and only remember this phrase. It sounds 'japanese', so I went through hundreds of Final Fantasy soundtrack songs, Yiruma's albums, but so far no success frown
Posted By: Tyrone Slothrop Re: I wish I could play... - 09/04/19 12:46 PM
I wonder how many people love to play the music from a game or anime film/show, but actually dislike the game/film/show itself? Or are liking one and the other inextricably tied?
Posted By: Animisha Re: I wish I could play... - 09/04/19 01:12 PM
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
I wonder how many people love to play the music from a game or anime film/show, but actually dislike the game/film/show itself? Or are liking one and the other inextricably tied?

When I watch a movie or a series together with my husband, and I am a bit bored I secretly close my eyes and start listening to the music instead. And almost invariably find the music more interesting. smile
Posted By: rach3master Re: I wish I could play... - 09/04/19 01:42 PM

Btw, can someone help me identify THIS piece? I've heard it somewhere and only remember this phrase. It sounds 'japanese', so I went through hundreds of Final Fantasy soundtrack songs, Yiruma's albums, but so far no success frown
This is some variant of "Believe Me" from the anime Steins;Gate. I do not recall the exact name of this particular track.
Posted By: AlphaBravoCharlie Re: I wish I could play... - 09/04/19 02:02 PM
Originally Posted by rach3master

This is some variant of "Believe Me" from the anime Steins;Gate. I do not recall the exact name of this particular track.

OMG, so much thank you, rach3master! I've been searching this for so long.
Posted By: magicpiano Re: I wish I could play... - 09/04/19 08:24 PM
I've never played Final Fantasy video game, but I've heard piece called 'Yuna's Ballad' in some VST comparision. Really easy to play but fun sounding at the same time. My poor attempt:

[...]
I remember that piece, it's very nice.
Is that a Korg Grandpiano88 ? From what I can see from your playing I feel you use a very hard velocity curve, right? I notice you bang much harder with the right hand to make the main melody line come out.
Posted By: MacMacMac Re: I wish I could play... - 09/04/19 10:31 PM
That's an interesting picture on the wall behind that piano ...

[Linked Image]
Posted By: AlphaBravoCharlie Re: I wish I could play... - 09/05/19 07:19 AM
Originally Posted by magicpiano

Is that a Korg Grandpiano88 ? From what I can see from your playing I feel you use a very hard velocity curve, right? I notice you bang much harder with the right hand to make the main melody line come out.

Yes, it is GS88 and indeed, I'm using 'heavy' velocity curve. Interesting, that you've noticed it. 'Normal' seems to be too light compared to grand pianos I occasionally play. Also, I prefer lower layers of Berlin Piano patch I'm using here. 'Heavy' is also perfect for Pianoteq, almost no more adjustments needed.

Originally Posted by MacMacMac
That's an interesting picture on the wall behind that piano ...

I like having women around when playing and since the real one who is my most loyal audience is currently visiting States, I'm left with those Pink Floyd-painted ones wink
Posted By: pold Re: I wish I could play... - 09/05/19 10:06 AM
take any piece from Bach, and play it as fast as you can, that will become the most technical thing you ever played.
Posted By: magicpiano Re: I wish I could play... - 09/05/19 10:39 AM
Yes, it is GS88 and indeed, I'm using 'heavy' velocity curve. Interesting, that you've noticed it. 'Normal' seems to be too light compared to grand pianos I occasionally play. Also, I prefer lower layers of Berlin Piano patch I'm using here. 'Heavy' is also perfect for Pianoteq, almost no more adjustments needed.
I noticed it because recently I worked very much on adjusting the velocity curve of my DP (with a customized one), being that the Normal touch is too light to me (it makes nearly impossible to play consistently in the ppp range), while the Heavy curves make too hard to play fff.

On the manual they write:

"The default ‘Normal’ setting is designed to accurately recreate the touch of a Kawai concert grand piano."

That would mean that on a Kawai acoustic grand it would be very very hard to play in the ppp range. Could this be the case?
© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums