Piano World Home Page
Posted By: tblb New kawai novus incoming ? - 07/30/19 05:31 AM
https://twitter.com/kawai_global/status/1155749805206802432?s=21

New novus ? Upright ?
Posted By: Gombessa Re: New kawai novus incoming ? - 07/30/19 05:33 AM
Nice find! Seems they were going in a different direction than many of us had anticipated!
Posted By: Chrispy Re: New kawai novus incoming ? - 07/30/19 05:58 AM
Interesting, thanks tblb! KJ has been scooped laugh
Posted By: Harpuia Re: New kawai novus incoming ? - 07/30/19 06:18 AM
Wow! Looks like it's in an upright style. Maybe a competitor with NU1X!
Posted By: tblb Re: New kawai novus incoming ? - 07/30/19 06:34 AM
k200 box aures system without string perhaps..

i'm currently hesitating beetwen a k500 aures and novus or n1X
Posted By: Kawai James Re: New kawai novus incoming ? - 07/30/19 07:20 AM
Originally Posted by Chrispy
KJ has been scooped laugh

[Linked Image]
Posted By: pianogabe Re: New kawai novus incoming ? - 07/30/19 07:21 AM
Originally Posted by tblb

Upright I believe. The piano dealer I spoke with the other day mentioned that Kawai would release a hybrid upright. This must be it.

I am looking into a replacement for a Schimmel grand for my mother (who is older now and will be moving to an apartment) and also hesitating between k(3/5)00 aures or Novus. The N1X is also nice but both my mother (advanced level) and I (beginner, 1.5 yrs) liked the novus touch and sound better.
Posted By: navindra Re: New kawai novus incoming ? - 07/30/19 07:30 AM
With wooden soundboard?
Posted By: CyberGene Re: New kawai novus incoming ? - 07/30/19 07:41 AM
Would be interesting to see whether they have finally made binaural samples. It’s currently one of the biggest advantages of Yamaha
Posted By: tblb Re: New kawai novus incoming ? - 07/30/19 07:48 AM
so it 'll look like a CS12 .

i'll never make a choice ..... there always will be new piano ....

Posted By: tblb Re: New kawai novus incoming ? - 07/30/19 07:52 AM
Originally Posted by Kawai James
KJ has been scooped laugh

[Linked Image]

SPEAK !! :-)
Posted By: Kawai James Re: New kawai novus incoming ? - 07/30/19 07:54 AM
munch, munch, munch... wink

Off-topic, but how do you write the sound of eating popcorn?
Posted By: tblb Re: New kawai novus incoming ? - 07/30/19 07:59 AM
don't know,, enjoy while you can ;-)

but i have a choice to make , so SPEAK !!!
Posted By: JoBert Re: New kawai novus incoming ? - 07/30/19 09:05 AM
So we have this teaser, which does indeed look like it's for an upright Novus.
And we have what James wrote in another thread, where the OP asked if it still makes sense to buy a CS11:

Originally Posted by wheelbarrow
So my question is whether it’s silly to buy the older model at this point. If I do then Kawai will probably release a CS12 the next day ...

I obviously cannot go into too much detail, however rest assured that this will not happen.

Kawai will be announcing a new model shortly, but it will not be a CS instrument.
(see Kawai Europe twitter over the next week or so for some hints).

From this, I'm speculating that Kawai may not come out with a CS12 (i.e. CS version of CA98) at all, but instead fill that gap with an upright Novus. If that is so, then I guess that such an upright Novus would have the CA98 tech (pianist mode, touch screen, soundboard) mated to an acoustic upright action.
Posted By: Hecarim Re: New kawai novus incoming ? - 07/30/19 09:11 AM

KJ hinted at that a month or so ago.

Show the bloody piano laugh
Posted By: CyberGene Re: New kawai novus incoming ? - 07/30/19 09:27 AM
As far as I know, Kawai upright optical sensing system is put on the hammers, rather than on the keys which would solve the Yamaha's loud note issue. Could this be the reason why Yamaha finally made some changes to their algorithms (or who knows what) and supposedly fixed/alleviated the loud note issue? smile On the other hand, having sensors under the keys allows for key-off velocity/position. Also, if we assume Yamaha implemented some clever algorithm, they will allow for the keys to be repeated even without releasing them fully. Let's see what Kawai has to offer. Competition is good.
Posted By: jamiecw Re: New kawai novus incoming ? - 07/30/19 09:33 AM
Originally Posted by Hecarim

I just found it here... seems Kawai went for a very slim design with this one!
Posted By: propianist Re: New kawai novus incoming ? - 07/30/19 10:26 AM
Rumours of a new "upright" Novus...?

The thing that makes the Novus great is its full Millennium III hybrid grand piano action. It has a rather deep (645mm) cabinet because of what's inside.
If the NV10 is what constitutes a "baby grand" cabinet size, then I don't see how Kawai could make a new "upright" Novus model any smaller (like a CS11 style "upright" cabinet only 542mm deep) while keeping the same fundamentally great Millennium III hybrid grand action inside, because it wouldn't fit. Any new model worthy of being in the Novus series would have to be at least the same cabinet depth again, otherwise they're sacrificing that magnificent action which is the main selling point of the Novus!

Some people may call the Novus NV10 a "baby grand" cabinet, but it's really an upright / spinet cabinet anyway, because it has a straight flat across the back, and thus will fit flush up against a wall, like an upright piano. Unlike a baby grand cabinet, which is obviously curved wood around the back in the classic piano harp shape. Likewise Novus cabinet doesn't have the classic grand piano style lid, opening diagonal from right side and resting on a 2 foot stick, which is another thing that makes even a "baby grand" look more obviously like a grand piano when the lid is open. "Baby grand" digitals like Roland GP609 or Yamaha N3X Avant or CLP695 all have that grand style diagonal lid.

I think if Kawai are designing a new Novus model, they should style it more in the direction of a grand piano (than NV10 currently is) and less in the direction of an upright piano, because they're already well catered for by their CS and CA lines, all of which offer basically the same Harmonic Imaging XL sound engines inside anyway.
Posted By: Pete14 Re: New kawai novus incoming ? - 07/30/19 11:05 AM
What if Kawai adds a full soundboard to this upright hybrid, wouldn’t that make it better than the NV-10? (At least in the sound department).
I remember liking the modified soundboard system in the CA-95; although, some feel it’s more of a gimmick.
The CA-98 uses an updated version, but a real -high quality- solid spruce board on this upcoming instrument would make me wonder about getting an NV-10 just on the basis of the action being “superior”; which may or may not be the case. Repetition rate is not as important to some, so this perceived ‘advantage’ is relative.
I know that many here (I’m looking at you, CG) love the action on the NU1X; just imagine it paired to a full soundboard!
Posted By: JoBert Re: New kawai novus incoming ? - 07/30/19 11:07 AM
Originally Posted by propianist
If the NV10 is what constitutes a "baby grand" cabinet size, then I don't see how Kawai could make a new "upright" Novus model any smaller (like a CS11 style "upright" cabinet only 542mm deep) while keeping the same fundamentally great Millennium III hybrid grand action inside, because it wouldn't fit.

Simple.
By putting the Millennium III hybrid upright action inside. (Similar to how the NU1X has an upright action vs. the N1X with the grand action.)

Or in other words: The speculation here about a new Novus Upright is not primarily about the form factor of the cabinet, but about the action.
Well, the form factor (as seen a little bit in the teaser) sparked that speculation, but of course, as you said, this form factor only makes sense with an upright action inside.
Posted By: tblb Re: New kawai novus incoming ? - 07/30/19 11:48 AM
what i want to know is :

is it a new electronic part or is it the "old" like CA98 ?

what is the price range ? a k300 aures cost a little bit less than 8000€

i think (James, you can eat more popcorn) it's a nu1X competitor, so we could say it will be like a CA98/CS11 with millenium 3 upright action and a price between 4000 and 5000€ .
Posted By: tblb Re: New kawai novus incoming ? - 07/30/19 11:52 AM
Originally Posted by JoBert
Originally Posted by propianist
If the NV10 is what constitutes a "baby grand" cabinet size, then I don't see how Kawai could make a new "upright" Novus model any smaller (like a CS11 style "upright" cabinet only 542mm deep) while keeping the same fundamentally great Millennium III hybrid grand action inside, because it wouldn't fit.

Simple.
By putting the Millennium III hybrid upright action inside. (Similar to how the NU1X has an upright action vs. the N1X with the grand action.)

Or in other words: The speculation here about a new Novus Upright is not primarily about the form factor of the cabinet, but about the action.
Well, the form factor (as seen a little bit in the teaser) sparked that speculation, but of course, as you said, this form factor only makes sense with an upright action inside.

it make sense to reduce production cost , kaway could use an existing k200 or 300 aures cabinet without the string part.
Posted By: CyberGene Re: New kawai novus incoming ? - 07/30/19 12:01 PM
A hybrid upright allows for a much more compact cabinet than an existing piano. I don’t see a reason why they should reuse an existing K200 cabinet just for the sake of it. See for example NU1X - it’s very compact since it doesn’t use an existing upright cabinet, and at the same time very stylish and beautiful.
Posted By: Nordomus Re: New kawai novus incoming ? - 07/30/19 12:07 PM
Originally Posted by Pete14
What if Kawai adds a full soundboard to this upright hybrid, wouldn’t that make it better than the NV-10? (At least in the sound department).
I remember liking the modified soundboard system in the CA-95; although, some feel it’s more of a gimmick.
The CA-98 uses an updated version, but a real -high quality- solid spruce board on this upcoming instrument would make me wonder about getting an NV-10 just on the basis of the action being “superior”; which may or may not be the case. Repetition rate is not as important to some, so this perceived ‘advantage’ is relative.
I know that many here (I’m looking at you, CG) love the action on the NU1X; just imagine it paired to a full soundboard!

Yes I think soundboard on CA98 sounds better than speakers on NV10 so I'm looking forward to this new model.
Posted By: tblb Re: New kawai novus incoming ? - 07/30/19 12:10 PM
Originally Posted by CyberGene
A hybrid upright allows for a much more compact cabinet than an existing piano. I don’t see a reason why they should reuse an existing K200 cabinet just for the sake of it. See for example NU1X - it’s very compact since it doesn’t use an existing upright cabinet, and at the same time very stylish and beautiful.

a bigger sound board could make a difference in sound., we can't have a bigger sound board without a bigger cabinet.
Posted By: tblb Re: New kawai novus incoming ? - 07/30/19 12:12 PM
Originally Posted by Nordomus

Yes I think soundboard on CA98 sounds better than speakers on NV10 so I'm looking forward to this new model.

a digital sound interface like n1x would be great to use vst without line in
Posted By: Hecarim Re: New kawai novus incoming ? - 07/30/19 01:12 PM
Originally Posted by jamiecw

#baited
Posted By: MacMacMac Re: New kawai novus incoming ? - 07/30/19 01:31 PM
Skip all of that ... I just hope they make it work without defects and with a good UI.
That is ... I'll skip the new features, if any ... and focus instead on improved functionality.

Second item ... for those of you who like the soundboard found in other pianos ...
I was not impressed by it in the shop. Perhaps the poor placement of the pianos is at fault?
Did anyone find the soundboard unimpressive at the store, but quite good at home?
Posted By: JoBert Re: New kawai novus incoming ? - 07/30/19 01:46 PM
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
Skip all of that ... I just hope they make it work without defects and with a good UI.
That is ... I'll skip the new features, if any ... and focus instead on improved functionality.

My bet is, that it will have the same engine and UI as the CA78/98 and NV10, only in a different cabinet (just like the CS12 would have) and with a different action.
I would be surprised if Kawai used this model to introduce a new engine and/or UI.
Posted By: ˆTomLCˆ Re: New kawai novus incoming ? - 07/30/19 01:50 PM
I see no reason Kawai would not use the same K2 cabinet and soundboard they used in the CS10/11. It is beautiful! I prefer it over the NV10! However, to do that and sell it for $5-6,000? Maybe a smaller, K15 cabinet? I am intrigued to say the least.
Posted By: robinlb Re: New kawai novus incoming ? - 07/30/19 02:19 PM
CA98 gives me pleasant feelings in Soundboard output. Soundboard can easily beat normal speakers.
So be very expect for the new full size soundboard model.
The strings in K300/K500 aures are useless for our DP users.
Posted By: Nordomus Re: New kawai novus incoming ? - 07/30/19 05:25 PM
Originally Posted by robinlb
CA98 gives me pleasant feelings in Soundboard output. Soundboard can easily beat normal speakers.

Can and it surely does. I still wonder why they didn't use soundboard in NV10.
Posted By: tblb Re: New kawai novus incoming ? - 07/30/19 06:17 PM
To sell a nv20 ?
Posted By: navindra Re: New kawai novus incoming ? - 07/30/19 07:44 PM
That’s nonsense. The NV10 is massive but ships in two boxes. If it had launched with a soundboard, it would likely have to ship as a single unit like the CA98 and be even more massive. Possible, but vastly more complicated logistically and risk wise.
Posted By: Tyrone Slothrop Re: New kawai novus incoming ? - 07/30/19 08:18 PM
Originally Posted by navindra
That’s nonsense. The NV10 is massive but ships in two boxes. If it had launched with a soundboard, it would likely have to ship as a single unit like the CA98 and be even more massive. Possible, but vastly more complicated logistically and risk wise.

N3X ships with soundboard. I guess Yamaha is more capable with logistics and risk management than Kawai? wink (j/k... sort of)
Posted By: navindra Re: New kawai novus incoming ? - 07/30/19 08:29 PM
And what sells better, the N1X or N3X? AvantGrand is proven and owns the market, while Novus is the challenger. All I'm saying is that Kawai is being smart and appropriately cautious while pushing the envelope.
Posted By: MacMacMac Re: New kawai novus incoming ? - 07/30/19 09:22 PM
Guesses and suppositions ... all without substantiation. frown
Posted By: Gombessa Re: New kawai novus incoming ? - 07/30/19 10:20 PM
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop

N3X ships with soundboard. I guess Yamaha is more capable with logistics and risk management than Kawai? wink (j/k... sort of)

The bulk of the N3X is a single horizontal slab (like an acoustic grand); I assume the legs come off like on an acoustic, too. The CA-98 is compact enough to be a vertical slab (like an upright).

The NV-10/N1X with a vertical soundboard would be so deep (to accommodate the action and keys) and wide that it would have to ship in a something closely resembling a huge cube. I think it's just not the ideal form factor to support a soundboard, unfortunately.

An compact upright could definitely do so, though!
Posted By: Kawai James Re: New kawai novus incoming ? - 07/30/19 11:41 PM
I still wonder why they didn't use soundboard in NV10.

The back side of the NV10 is not really large enough for a proper soundboard. Moreover, the back panels must be removable to provide access to the instrument during assembly.

Kind regards,
James
x
Posted By: Pete14 Re: New kawai novus incoming ? - 07/30/19 11:54 PM
James, you need to make the announcement, pronto!
I’m checking in every few minutes looking for “Kawai announces.......”
This is no longer teasing, it’s torture! cry
Posted By: MacMacMac Re: New kawai novus incoming ? - 07/31/19 12:05 AM
I don't see the teasing. And I don't feel any torture.

It's just another piano, little different than the ones you've already seen, coming to a store near you ... in around six months.

Yawn.
Posted By: Kawai James Re: New kawai novus incoming ? - 07/31/19 12:11 AM
James, you need to make the announcement, pronto!
I’m checking in every few minutes looking for “Kawai announces.......”
This is no longer teasing, it’s torture! cry

Please come back next week. wink
Posted By: robinlb Re: New kawai novus incoming ? - 07/31/19 12:43 AM

Can and it surely does. I still wonder why they didn't use soundboard in NV10.

James said the truth. The design of NV10 cannot have enough back room to install a soundboard like CA98 size.
I think Nv10 is only first generation of Hybrid keyboard in Kawai.
The next will be better.
Upright NV with full soundboard will be more welcome I think.
Posted By: Tyrone Slothrop Re: New kawai novus incoming ? - 07/31/19 02:01 AM
Yawn.

If this is indeed a digital piano with a mechanical upright action, then this is not completely new - there is the Yamaha NU1 and NU1X. However, this would not only be Kawai's first DP in this subcategory, but it would be the only competitor to the Yamaha in this subcategory. And competition is good.

So I don't think this is a snore at all. Perhaps if Roland or Casio were to also trying releasing one of these, by then, it would be snoozer, but for only the second one of its kind? I think this is very good news.
Posted By: ˆTomLCˆ Re: New kawai novus incoming ? - 07/31/19 02:05 AM
Yawn.

If this is indeed a digital piano with a mechanical upright action, then this is not completely new - there is the Yamaha NU1 and NU1X. However, this is not only Kawai's first DP in this subcategory, but would be the only competitor to the Yamaha in this subcategory. And competition is good.

So I don't think this is a snore at all. Perhaps if Roland or Casio were to also trying releasing one of these, by then, it would be snoozer, but for only the second one? I think this is very good.

This could simply be a K200 (Aures) without the strings. How easy would that be?
Posted By: Snicklefritz Re: New kawai novus incoming ? - 07/31/19 02:14 AM

I can't believe I fell for that.

lol

Posted By: Kawai James Re: New kawai novus incoming ? - 07/31/19 02:29 AM
If this is indeed a digital piano with a mechanical upright action, then this is not completely new - there is the Yamaha NU1 and NU1X. However, this would not only be Kawai's first DP in this subcategory, but it would be the only competitor to the Yamaha in this subcategory. And competition is good.

It's perhaps worth noting that Kawai previously marketed a range of digital instruments that incorporated acoustic piano actions. However, this was several years ago - long before I joined the company.

Kind regards,
James
x
Posted By: tblb Re: New kawai novus incoming ? - 07/31/19 06:22 AM
Guesses and suppositions ... all without substantiation. frown

Take a seat with James and eat popcorn ;-)
Posted By: tblb Re: New kawai novus incoming ? - 07/31/19 08:51 AM
So, what do we know :

-novus ---> acoutic keyboard
-upright ?---> millenium 3 upright action keyboard ?
-the piano is black
-we can say that ther will be 52 white key and 36 black.
-3 pedals
-a power chord unless electricity can be produced with a fourth pedal
Posted By: CyberGene Re: New kawai novus incoming ? - 07/31/19 09:11 AM
So, what do we know :

-the piano is black
-3 pedals

I won’t be able to sleep until it gets officially announced. So exciting!
Posted By: Hecarim Re: New kawai novus incoming ? - 07/31/19 09:26 AM
So, what do we know :

-the piano is black
-3 pedals

There you go buddy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22DSFn5diL4
Posted By: tblb Re: New kawai novus incoming ? - 07/31/19 09:45 AM
Kawai bought the patent ? it's brilliant
Posted By: tudor33sud Re: New kawai novus incoming ? - 07/31/19 10:31 AM
I'm glad that we are going to get more upright style digital pianos. I still find it pretty amusing that we replicate upright cabinets and the sound is of a full concert grand, but I don't think it's hard for anyone to get accustomed to a nicer and richer sound! laugh I hope (James) that I am thinking correctly that the tough wait should stop next week on Monday, and we are not going to go through the pain of waiting until the end of next week for the announcement :))
Posted By: JoBert Re: New kawai novus incoming ? - 07/31/19 10:54 AM
-a power chord

You mean like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0f0QzMNk-E
... only built into the piano?
Posted By: MacMacMac Re: New kawai novus incoming ? - 07/31/19 10:59 AM
Let's hope they add some new and truly essential features:
- Chrome trim.
- Tail fins.
- Rear view camera.
- Sun roof.
- GPS.
- Web browser.
- Air bags. (The Borge-style bench seat belts are not considered adequate anymore.)
- Espresso maker.
Posted By: tblb Re: New kawai novus incoming ? - 07/31/19 11:06 AM
oh no, rear view is bad, when i know someone look when i'm playing i can't play correctely anymore.
Posted By: jamiecw Re: New kawai novus incoming ? - 07/31/19 11:14 AM
If you work in the same field as Agent 47, then a rear view is necessity smile
Posted By: JoBert Re: New kawai novus incoming ? - 07/31/19 12:45 PM
Rear view is already built in, if it comes in high gloss PE (which I assume).
Posted By: Pete14 Re: New kawai novus incoming ? - 07/31/19 12:50 PM
I’m hoping for a deeper cabinet; especially as it compares to the NU1X. I don’t think that a few more inches in depth would be a big deal.
For those with small spaces: if you can’t accommodate a few more inches into your space, you need a bigger place not a smaller piano!
Keep in mind that the ‘piano’ is the center of our universe; therefore, everything should revolve around it and not the other way around. I could be perfectly fine without my wife; the piano, on the other hand, the piano I cannot live with out. I have to see those 88 keys staring at me everyday; otherwise I die a little inside! cool

Posted By: tudor33sud Re: New kawai novus incoming ? - 07/31/19 01:06 PM
I’m hoping for a deeper cabinet; especially as it compares to the NU1X. I don’t think that a few more inches in depth would be a big deal.
For those with small spaces: if you can’t accommodate a few more inches into your space, you need a bigger place not a smaller piano!
Keep in mind that the ‘piano’ is the center of our universe; therefore, everything should revolve around it and not the other way around. I could be perfectly fine without my wife; the piano, on the other hand, the piano I cannot live with out. I have to see those 88 keys staring at me everyday; otherwise I die a little inside! cool

Just make sure your wife doesn't have aceess to this forum! There's that saying, be careful about what you wish for. :))
Posted By: jamiecw Re: New kawai novus incoming ? - 07/31/19 01:47 PM
Originally Posted by tudor33sud

Just make sure your wife doesn't have aceess to this forum! There's that saying, be careful about what you wish for. :))

Pete14 can do the Jedi Mind trick Eddie Murphy did to Mr T in Raw:

Mrs: I heard you wrote somethings about me...?!?

Pete14: No you didn't..

Mrs: Maybe I didn't.. smile
Posted By: MacMacMac Re: New kawai novus incoming ? - 07/31/19 01:59 PM
Bravo. I like your attitude.
Keep in mind that the ‘piano’ is the center of our universe; therefore, everything should revolve around it and not the other way around.

As for this:
I could be perfectly fine without my wife; the piano, on the other hand, the piano I cannot live without.
Please post a picture of her. smile
Posted By: Pete14 Re: New kawai novus incoming ? - 07/31/19 03:14 PM
I tell you Mac, she’s hot; but I’d trade her for a Novus any day of the week! laugh
Posted By: Gombessa Re: New kawai novus incoming ? - 07/31/19 03:46 PM

The NU1/X is REALLY slim, which is a nice benefit. But of course, that slimness comes at a cost, as its keys probably have the shortest pivot length of any premium digital piano.

Knowing how Kawai has recently touted the fact that it's extended the key length on all its grands, I would imagine a Millenium III-based upright would make it a point to have longer keysticks.

Now here's the big question--what's going to be the "real damper mechanism" ploy with an upright action? A real "soft" pedal that mechanically moves the hammers closer to the stop bar?
Posted By: sorrownightingale Re: New kawai novus incoming ? - 07/31/19 04:22 PM
Again it seems that the only important is key pìvot lenght, seriously?...From Kawai K-300 Millenium III-based upright the key pivot lenght is greater than 20cm

K-200 , it is smaller than 20cm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ukiRG2QVb4

K-300

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlOyUzUsVOw

and the Kawai K-200 is used by many students without worrying about key pivot lenght!!!. The most important thing is how the key set up is implemented and regulated.The best thing would be to worry about piano practice!!
Posted By: Gombessa Re: New kawai novus incoming ? - 07/31/19 05:10 PM
Originally Posted by sorrownightingale
Again it seems that the only important is key pìvot lenght, seriously?...From Kawai K-300 Millenium III-based upright the key pivot lenght is greater than 20cm

Nah, it's not the most important thing, by far. But for me, it's one of the most noticeable things about the NU1's action, so it's the one thing about the physical mechanism that I'd love to see addressed in a competing hybrid.
Posted By: CyberGene Re: New kawai novus incoming ? - 07/31/19 05:29 PM
While owning the NU1X I never realized it had short pivot length. And I’ve never been obsessed by that single parameter for that matter.
Posted By: navindra Re: New kawai novus incoming ? - 07/31/19 06:42 PM
While owning the NU1X I never realized it had short pivot length. And I’ve never been obsessed by that single parameter for that matter.

I'm not betting on binaural sound either. Not sure this really moves the needle with normal folks or non-pw enthusiasts. After all, binaural sound as a whole hasn't really taken off in the music industry, YouTube, iTunes, etc.
Posted By: Chrispy Re: New kawai novus incoming ? - 07/31/19 06:48 PM
It's perhaps worth noting that Kawai previously marketed a range of digital instruments that incorporated acoustic piano actions.

I didn't know that, interesting! Definitely before I was interested in DP's. What were their names? I'd be curious to look them up. Thanks James smile
Posted By: ˆTomLCˆ Re: New kawai novus incoming ? - 07/31/19 10:30 PM
I briefly owned and played a K200atx2. Prior to that I had a CA97. I was never “thrilled” with the C97. I went to the dealer planning to buy a CS11. But I played the K200 for an hour in the shop for three days. It has a terrific touch and feel to it. Once home they sent the tech to tune it. I had him out a week later to try to soften the sound. It is just too loud in my home. I spent a few hundred dollars on mats and acoustic foam. After a month I agreed to trade it for a CS11. Quite a $ loss for me. I really liked the CS11, and I really like my NV10. Now I am obviously not a trained classical pianist. But to me, if I could have it in my home, I would take the K200 over the NV10. Maybe it’s because the hammers were hitting strings? However in digital mode both the CS11 and the NV10 are better. IMHO.
Posted By: Kawai James Re: New kawai novus incoming ? - 08/01/19 12:36 AM
I didn't know that, interesting! Definitely before I was interested in DP's. What were their names? I'd be curious to look them up. Thanks James smile

I will try to find out - I believe there's very little information about them online.

Kind regards,
James
x
Posted By: Gombessa Re: New kawai novus incoming ? - 08/01/19 03:39 AM

I will try to find out - I believe there's very little information about them online.

Could they include:

Kawai HA-11 with acoustic upright action and optical sensors (https://www.kawai.co.uk/products/archive/ha11/)

Kawai EGP-10 with acoustic grand action and optical sensors (https://www.kawai.co.uk/products/archive/egp10/)

Just in case folks would like to start googling/ebaying smile
Posted By: Kawai James Re: New kawai novus incoming ? - 08/01/19 03:51 AM
Thanks Gombessa!
Posted By: robinlb Re: New kawai novus incoming ? - 08/01/19 04:23 AM
Originally Posted by Gombessa

Could they include:

Kawai HA-11 with acoustic upright action and optical sensors (https://www.kawai.co.uk/products/archive/ha11/)

Kawai EGP-10 with acoustic grand action and optical sensors (https://www.kawai.co.uk/products/archive/egp10/)

Just in case folks would like to start googling/ebaying smile

Wow! EGP10 seems like the predecessor of NV10.
Thank you so much!
Posted By: Chrispy Re: New kawai novus incoming ? - 08/01/19 04:23 AM
Ditto, thanks Gombessa, Interesting history! I actually found a small thread about it on the forum: http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/1992243/kawai-egp-10-hybrid-model.html
Posted By: robinlb Re: New kawai novus incoming ? - 08/01/19 04:29 AM
I still hold my own opinions, hope new Novus upright to be evolved from K200 or K300 aures without strings.
It will be stronger competitor to NU1X, due to full soundboard output.
Posted By: CyberGene Re: New kawai novus incoming ? - 08/01/19 10:48 AM
There's a new video. Apparently an upright action and a soundboard.
Posted By: Pete14 Re: New kawai novus incoming ? - 08/01/19 10:54 AM
The soundboard seems like the one used on the CA98. It’s modified (smaller than a regular upright action). I hope it’s an updated version.
Posted By: tblb Re: New kawai novus incoming ? - 08/01/19 12:29 PM
A guess for the price ? 4000-4500€ I think .
Posted By: JoBert Re: New kawai novus incoming ? - 08/01/19 01:25 PM
The soundboard seems like the one used on the CA98. It’s modified (smaller than a regular upright action). I hope it’s an updated version.

Did you mean "smaller than a regular upright soundboard?"
Posted By: Tyrone Slothrop Re: New kawai novus incoming ? - 08/01/19 01:31 PM
I wonder if the soundboard of this new product will cannibalise the sales of the NV-10? Perhaps this might lead to a successor to the NV-10 with a soundboard also?
Posted By: tblb Re: New kawai novus incoming ? - 08/01/19 02:05 PM
I think not, nv10 has a grand keyboard
Posted By: robinlb Re: New kawai novus incoming ? - 08/01/19 02:10 PM

Disappointed, not the K200 Aures without strings version.
Small soundboard.
As a CA98 user, no idea to upgrade, almost same unless the keyboard action.
Posted By: navindra Re: New kawai novus incoming ? - 08/01/19 02:44 PM
I wonder if the soundboard of this new product will cannibalise the sales of the NV-10? Perhaps this might lead to a successor to the NV-10 with a soundboard also?

They appear to be in different segments. Seems this may actually compete with the CA98 rather than the NV10.
Posted By: Tyrone Slothrop Re: New kawai novus incoming ? - 08/01/19 02:52 PM

They appear to be in different segments. Seems this may actually compete with the CA98 rather than the NV10.

Well, this might depend on the acoustical action. Because with a real acoustical action, I don't see how this would be directly competing against a CA98 with no real acoustical action except in the looser sense.
Posted By: ˆTomLCˆ Re: New kawai novus incoming ? - 08/01/19 03:07 PM
The soundboard is probably larger than the CA98. More like the CS11. Because of this, I wouldn’t expect it it to sell for much less than the NV10. Is an upright action really a lot less expensive to build? Consider the price of a K500 is comparable to a GL10 grand.

I wonder if Kawai developed a new upright piano sample in Pianist mode from a K800! That would be awesome.
Posted By: Peddler100 Re: New kawai novus incoming ? - 08/01/19 03:16 PM
It will be interesting to see what the feature set is and how it affects the CA98. With the NU1X there was a clear cutoff between that and the CLP685. The CLP685 has so many features I gave up trying to identify all of them. The NU1X on the other hand had two distinguishing features, an acoustic upright action and the binaural CFX voice. The choice between the CLP685 and NU1X was to have all of the features people expect from a DP our get an acoustic action and one very great voice and 14 or so others. Clear product delineation.

If Kawaii follows the design pattern of the NV10 this new hybrid upright could have all the features of the CA98 along with a actual acoustic upright action. Then the choice becomes one of money and preference of the action, you wouldn’t be giving up features.

FYI from my perspective on the NU1X I didn’t give up anything I would have used. I basically play it like acoustic, just turn it on a play. If the speculation turns out to be true it will be nice to see another hybrid upright. I felt there was a huge gap in Kawaii’s product line jumping from the CA98 to the NV10.
Posted By: tblb Re: New kawai novus incoming ? - 08/01/19 03:28 PM
But :

CA98: 3000€
K300 aures : 8000€
NV10 : 8500 €
K500 aures : 10000€

CA98 keyboard is really good.

A too high price and the new novus will compete with k300 aures who is best of both world for an upright piano
Posted By: ˆTomLCˆ Re: New kawai novus incoming ? - 08/01/19 03:41 PM
But :

A too high price and the new novus will compete with k300 aures who is best of both world for an upright piano

Do I understand you correctly that the NV10 cost more than a K300 Aures?
Posted By: ˆTomLCˆ Re: New kawai novus incoming ? - 08/01/19 03:52 PM
]

That is Exactly what I expect it to be.
Posted By: robinlb Re: New kawai novus incoming ? - 08/01/19 04:02 PM
Originally Posted by TomLC
]

That is Exactly what I expect it to be.

Comparing to my CA98, K300Aures is too expensive with useless springs and its accessories.
K200 Aures without spring will be the best choice for upgrade.
I can keep my98 running for a few more years.
Posted By: Pete14 Re: New kawai novus incoming ? - 08/01/19 04:16 PM
Originally Posted by JoBert

Did you mean "smaller than a regular upright soundboard?"

Yes. blush
Posted By: tblb Re: New kawai novus incoming ? - 08/01/19 04:50 PM

But :

Yes
Posted By: Pete14 Re: New kawai novus incoming ? - 08/03/19 01:07 PM
Why so quiet?

There’s so much to speculate about: ‘the action is built by Yamaha’, ‘the samples are modeled’, ‘it’s smaller/bigger than the NU1X’, ‘if it only had a real soundboard’, ‘but it does....... have a real soundboard’, ‘does it, really’?
Posted By: Tyrone Slothrop Re: New kawai novus incoming ? - 08/03/19 01:24 PM
Why so quiet?

There’s so much to speculate about: ‘the action is built by Yamaha’, ‘the samples are modeled’, ‘it’s smaller/bigger than the NU1X’, ‘if it only had a real soundboard’, ‘but it does....... have a real soundboard’, ‘does it, really’?

Troll. wink
Posted By: ˆTomLCˆ Re: New kawai novus incoming ? - 08/03/19 01:36 PM

But :

Yes

Alright Pete. I’ll do a bit of speculation. grin These prices seem low for an Aures. They are more in line with the ATX series of silent pianos. And that gets me thinking again. If the K200atx sells for (say) $7500. Kawai could make it without the strings, add the transducers, and sell it for $6500.
Posted By: MacMacMac Re: New kawai novus incoming ? - 08/03/19 01:45 PM
This happens whenever a new piano is announced ... or earlier, when it is rumored ... or even earlier, when someone claims that a successor piano "should" be in the works.

As for me ... I like to see and touch a piano in the shop. I don't revel in the pre-launch speculation.

Show me the goods. My ears and fingers will tell me everything.
Posted By: jamiecw Re: New kawai novus incoming ? - 08/03/19 02:19 PM
Not everyone is like you Mac. Some like do sleep outside the apple store to buy the latest iPhone..
Posted By: robinlb Re: New kawai novus incoming ? - 08/03/19 03:11 PM

But :

Yes

Alright Pete. I’ll do a bit of speculation. grin These prices seem low for an Aures. They are more in line with the ATX series of silent pianos. And that gets me thinking again. If the K200atx sells for (say) $7500. Kawai could make it without the strings, add the transducers, and sell it for $6500.

This Model of K200 Aures is also my ideal upgrading DP.
The soundboard on 98 is almost 60cm height, and 100cm on K200.
Posted By: navindra Re: New kawai novus incoming ? - 08/04/19 05:02 AM

Is it fair to say that soundboard length is to sound what pivot length is to action in a piano? 🤔
Posted By: robinlb Re: New kawai novus incoming ? - 08/04/19 05:48 AM

Is it fair to say that soundboard length is to sound what pivot length is to action in a piano? 🤔

I like grand action with larger soundboard speaker, so Yamaha C3XTA2 will be the best.
But from realistic consideration, I have to give priority to sound first.
That's why I said K200 or K300 without strings is my next expectation.
Posted By: Groove On Re: New kawai novus incoming ? - 08/04/19 06:14 AM

For soundboards there is a minimum effective size but for sound quality it's more about the the strength to weight ratio + dampening. A good strength to weight ratio lets you build thin/strong soundboards that resonate efficiently and the dampening makes sure it doesn't resonate too much or too little. Usually the major considerations are the material and the design (e.g. the ribs + crown).

I'm still hopeful about soundboards for digital pianos but I'm becoming more skeptical. Very few people rave about that sort of setup, and if you solicit reviews/experiences it's usually met with <crickets>.
Posted By: Tyrone Slothrop Re: New kawai novus incoming ? - 08/04/19 09:10 AM
Not everyone is like you Mac. Some like do sleep outside the apple store to buy the latest iPhone..

I hope this was a joke.
Posted By: MacMacMac Re: New kawai novus incoming ? - 08/04/19 10:24 AM
No. Pivot length affects the touch. Soundboard length does not.

Posted By: johnstaf Re: New kawai novus incoming ? - 08/04/19 10:34 AM
Also, the most realistic way to play back recorded audio is through speakers. I don't understand the rationale behind using a "soundboard" to play back sampled sounds.
Posted By: robinlb Re: New kawai novus incoming ? - 08/04/19 12:53 PM
No. Pivot length affects the touch. Soundboard length does not.

I don't think so. Different size soundboard can effect the sound output directly, from uprigh to grand.
And it's not the length but the height of soundboard.
So I think the K200 aures has larger soundboard than myCA98, and will bring better output.
At the same time, the mounted method is another factor, horizontally better than vertically in general. GP with horizontally soundboard will be more benefit of the waves spread.
Soundboard is ideal film speaker for piano, no matter driven by strings or transducers.
Posted By: robinlb Re: New kawai novus incoming ? - 08/04/19 01:02 PM
Originally Posted by johnstaf
Also, the most realistic way to play back recorded audio is through speakers. I don't understand the rationale behind using a "soundboard" to play back sampled sounds.

You can check the video of Kawai Aures or Yamaha TA2 on YouTube. All of them without any traditional speakers.
The soundboard can not only playback classic piano music, but also other instrument by data source. Fantasy
Posted By: Animisha Re: New kawai novus incoming ? - 08/04/19 03:03 PM

I hope this was a joke.

Nope! shocked laugh
Posted By: MacMacMac Re: New kawai novus incoming ? - 08/04/19 03:33 PM
But he's right. There are indeed campers out there.
Plenty of people want to get that new Iphone before anyone else.

How else can you pay more for it than the rest of us? smile
How else can you get access all the latest bugs and defects? smile
How else can you be the first to be unable to do the things you used to do with the old Iphone ... because Jobs' successors don't have his ability to produce the right products? smile
Posted By: Gombessa Re: New kawai novus incoming ? - 08/04/19 05:46 PM

Technically, isn't it the surface area of the soundboard more than either height or length, all else being equal?
Posted By: Pete14 Re: New kawai novus incoming ? - 08/04/19 07:38 PM
Sure one can brag about height and length, but what about girth?
Posted By: MacMacMac Re: New kawai novus incoming ? - 08/04/19 07:48 PM
Thickness! It's thickness that counts! Every pianist knows that!
Posted By: Pete14 Re: New kawai novus incoming ? - 08/04/19 08:24 PM
+1 blush
Posted By: johnstaf Re: New kawai novus incoming ? - 08/04/19 09:37 PM
Thickness! It's thickness that counts! Every pianist knows that!

No! It's thinness!!!! grin
Posted By: CyberGene Re: New kawai novus incoming ? - 08/04/19 09:48 PM
It’s known that people with thick fingers prefer unpianistic VST-s.
Posted By: robinlb Re: New kawai novus incoming ? - 08/05/19 02:30 AM

Technically, isn't it the surface area of the soundboard more than either height or length, all else being equal?

But it is obvious that the length of soundboard is almost same for 88keys piano, the major difference is their height. Height of soundboard is about: CA98~60cm vs K200~100cm
Of course, it's for upright. We can call it length on GP due to horizontal mounting.
Posted By: MacMacMac Re: New kawai novus incoming ? - 08/05/19 03:05 AM
I wonder: In a digital does the soundboard do any good? I played a CA98 in the shop. It sounded different than the CA78, and I think the only difference between the two is that the latter lacks a soundboard.

Yes, the CA98 sounded better. But I wonder whether Kawai has "sandbagged" the CA78 with a less audio chain.
I feel that way because the CA98 sounds like many other premium pianos that do NOT have a soundboard.
I got the impression that the CA98, with its soundboard, is NOT superior. Rather I found the CA78 inferior.
That's why I'm left wondering whether the soundboard does any good.

Caveat: That piano showroom is a typically poor environment for auditioning pianos.
Only the two Shigeros had proper placement in the shop. The rest ... most especially the digitals ... were crammed back to back, row after row.
That poor placement might have influenced what I heard.
Posted By: robinlb Re: New kawai novus incoming ? - 08/05/19 05:31 AM
I wonder: In a digital does the soundboard do any good? I played a CA98 in the shop. It sounded different than the CA78, and I think the only difference between the two is that the latter lacks a soundboard.

Yes, the CA98 sounded better. But I wonder whether Kawai has "sandbagged" the CA78 with a less audio chain.
I feel that way because the CA98 sounds like many other premium pianos that do NOT have a soundboard.
I got the impression that the CA98, with its soundboard, is NOT superior. Rather I found the CA78 inferior.

Caveat: That piano showroom is a typically poor environment for auditioning pianos.
Only the two Shigeros had proper placement in the shop. The rest ... most especially the digitals ... were crammed back to back, row after row.

All of the store environment and inner sound engine limits the soundboard on 98.
But at home, I made adjustment and mounted some absorbing materials including a pair of bass trap. The power of soundboard is becoming to show, especially when I use VSL D274. The vibration and deep Bass is nice and natural than any normal speakers.
My friend uses the same D274 to play on his N1X equipped with a additional outside subwoofer, but still be defeated by the soundboard.
Soundboard has more higher efficiency and closed to acoustic piano, although the small size compared with standard upright or baby grand.
That's why I expecte to K-series Aures.
Posted By: tblb Re: New kawai novus incoming ? - 08/05/19 06:51 AM

i think prefer a CA78, with monitors than a CA98
Posted By: StefVR Re: New kawai novus incoming ? - 08/05/19 11:02 AM
I would bet my money on a rather highend Novus competing with the Yamaha N3X. Would also fit with the little comment Kawai James made some days ago pointing out the N3X is the best digital today...
Posted By: tblb Re: New kawai novus incoming ? - 08/05/19 11:08 AM
we can see it's an upright on a video, with the touchscreen fron ca 98, an upright mechanism and a soundboard.
Posted By: Tyrone Slothrop Re: New kawai novus incoming ? - 08/05/19 11:40 AM
Originally Posted by StefVR
I would bet my money on a rather highend Novus competing with the Yamaha N3X. Would also fit with the little comment Kawai James made some days ago pointing out the N3X is the best digital today...

If that high-end Novus were to be released with binaural sound for headphones, I would likely consider that as an upgrade for my N1X. Otherwise, since I use headphones 80-90% of the time due to the unconventional hours that I keep, I would stick with my N1X.
Posted By: CyberGene Re: New kawai novus incoming ? - 08/05/19 12:03 PM
It's already seen in the videos the action is an upright one. So, it's a NU1X competitor.

Advantages:
- optical sensors on the hammers, so no loud note issues
- soundboard

Disadvantages:
- no note-off velocity
- (hypothetical) no binaural sample
- (hypothetical) no USB-audio interface
Posted By: Pete14 Re: New kawai novus incoming ? - 08/05/19 12:11 PM
I would also consider upgrading to this ‘mysterious’ baby grand Novus from my N1X, but first I’d have to buy the N1X. grin
What if the ‘upright’ video is a decoy for the real McCoy?
Yes, they’ll release the upright as the opening act, but the star of the show would be the N3X killer! Now, that would make my year; big time!
Granted, I would not be able to afford this beast, but I’ll go to sleep every night knowing that it exists, and that it’s no longer a figment of my imagination.
Posted By: Tyrone Slothrop Re: New kawai novus incoming ? - 08/05/19 12:24 PM
- (hypothetical) no binaural sample

We should wait a few days on the real announcement. Certainly Kawai must realise that there are those buying the N1X for the binaural sound. For a new product, I think anything within reason is possible, and I think that binaural sound is within reason as Yamaha has had it for a while already.
Posted By: tblb Re: New kawai novus incoming ? - 08/05/19 12:43 PM
on the video, there's a touch screen like CAXX, aures and NV, my bet : same digital part , same samples.
Posted By: tblb Re: New kawai novus incoming ? - 08/05/19 01:45 PM
here is a few pics :

https://twitter.com/Kawai_Global/status/1158286516805726208?s=20
Posted By: Luiz Filho Re: New kawai novus incoming ? - 08/05/19 02:25 PM
One thing that worries me on this kind of digital upright piano like NU1X and this new kawai is how the maintenance is done, different from a grand piano, an upright has springs, that needs to be changed and/or regulated over time to keep the touch even between the keys.

Do they just assume that they being a digital piano, with time people will just replace it with a new version before the springs gets bad?
Posted By: tblb Re: New kawai novus incoming ? - 08/05/19 02:30 PM
i think those piano can be regulated like acoustic's one.
Posted By: Tyrone Slothrop Re: New kawai novus incoming ? - 08/05/19 02:35 PM
Originally Posted by Luiz Filho
One thing that worries me on this kind of digital upright piano like NU1X and this new kawai is how the maintenance is done, different from a grand piano, an upright has springs, that needs to be changed and/or regulated over time to keep the touch even between the keys.

Do they just assume that they being a digital piano, with time people will just replace it with a new version before the springs gets bad?

I've read first hand accounts on PW of people having their hybrids regulated, like acoustical pianos.
Posted By: ˆTomLCˆ Re: New kawai novus incoming ? - 08/05/19 02:35 PM
Look down further on that tweet link. Aug.1 is a picture of the soundboard.
Posted By: Erard Re: New kawai novus incoming ? - 08/05/19 06:21 PM
You mean this one?

[Linked Image]
Posted By: ˆTomLCˆ Re: New kawai novus incoming ? - 08/05/19 06:22 PM
yep
Posted By: Pete14 Re: New kawai novus incoming ? - 08/05/19 09:50 PM
Is that ‘the soundboard’? If so, it does look bigger than the CA98 soundboard.
Posted By: ˆTomLCˆ Re: New kawai novus incoming ? - 08/05/19 10:54 PM
If it uses the true Mill. III upright action, it will be deeper. And with a K200 soundboard it will be taller than the NU1x. I wonder if it will have the same damper tech. as the Novus NV10?
Posted By: Pete14 Re: New kawai novus incoming ? - 08/05/19 10:58 PM
They can keep the ‘damper tech’ and give me an audio interface.
Posted By: ˆTomLCˆ Re: New kawai novus incoming ? - 08/05/19 11:13 PM
I"m getting a bad case of GAS> cool Not for this NV Upright. But for the Aures.

I haven't even seen it yet. But I might trade in the NV grand action with speakers for an upright K300 Aures if they are the same price. I think I will go to the dealer tomorrow and try one out. smile

It's an acoustic piano.........
Posted By: Pete14 Re: New kawai novus incoming ? - 08/05/19 11:29 PM
Tom, the new upright will come very close to the K300 Aures; considering that the soundboard is not that much smaller. Also, there are no tuning expenses to consider down the road, and I assume it will be cheaper.
Posted By: ˆTomLCˆ Re: New kawai novus incoming ? - 08/05/19 11:39 PM
Tom, the new upright will come very close to the K300; considering that the soundboard is not that much smaller. Also, there’s no tuning expenses to consider down the road, and I assume it will be cheaper.

But, Pete, it is not an acoustic piano. crazy I already have an NV10 with a great grand action. So I won't be trading it in for this new NV. But an actual K300 with upright action would certainly be good enough for me. Plus of course, playing in Pianist mode with the soundboard. Nice!
Posted By: Pete14 Re: New kawai novus incoming ? - 08/05/19 11:50 PM
But, Tom, will you be able to play it in acoustic mode? grin
If there are no angry neighbors to take into consideration, then I understand the appeal of a real acoustic, but I must say, these things (hybrids) are getting so close that one can only wonder about the future of the acoustic piano as we know it today.
Personally, I don’t like the ‘upright’ sound. If I could go for an acoustic, it would be a grand.
Have you considered the Yamaha C1X-TA2?
Posted By: Gombessa Re: New kawai novus incoming ? - 08/06/19 12:05 AM
If it uses the true Mill. III upright action, it will be deeper. And with a K200 soundboard it will be taller than the NU1x. I wonder if it will have the same damper tech. as the Novus NV10?

Dampers work differently in uprights (there's not as much noticeable change to the key weight when the damper is "lifted"). I would expect in an upright, you might instead want to simulate the right "soft" pedal, which typically moves all of the hammers closer to the strings (and creates a dead zone at the beginning of the keypress).

I've seen some boogie woogie and stride players use this to lighten and "speed up" the action for fast play.
Posted By: pianogabe Re: New kawai novus incoming ? - 08/06/19 05:47 AM

I haven't even seen it yet. But I might trade in the NV grand action with speakers for an upright K300 Aures if they are the same price. I think I will go to the dealer tomorrow and try one out. smile

TomLC, I am very curious what you will decide. Keep us updated.
Posted By: robinlb Re: New kawai novus incoming ? - 08/06/19 07:49 AM
I"m getting a bad case of GAS> cool Not for this NV Upright. But for the Aures.

Tom, waiting your news and decide after try.
K200 aures seems like sale on JP market only, so K300aures is the best choice, and bigger soundboard.
If there is no model without strings in future, I will consider K-series Aures too for upgrading my CA98
Posted By: Pete14 Re: New kawai novus incoming ? - 08/06/19 11:15 AM
But, Rob, there is a model ‘without strings’, it’s called the Novus “upright”.
Posted By: ˆTomLCˆ Re: New kawai novus incoming ? - 08/06/19 02:22 PM
I will try to check out the K300 Aures today. I used to have a K200 ATX2. It was too loud to play in my home, the electronics were two generations old, and there were no speakers at all. So the CS11 was an upgrade to the digital aspect with headphones and I could turn down the volume and play without headphones. The Aures addresses all of the shortcomings of the K200 ATX2. A bigger issue may be the size. I understand you can play the larger piano more softly than the smaller. More loudly too. Is that true?

So what I need to consider, IF I find I prefer it to the NV10, is the cost to make the switch, and can the movers get it into my small office/study. I remember the K200 barely made one of the turns in the hallway. Thanks to this forum, I am a much better negotiator thN before. So the cost won’t be the primary deciding factor. But, I might find I don't like at all compared to my Novus.
Posted By: Pete14 Re: New kawai novus incoming ? - 08/06/19 02:57 PM
Seriously, why are you thinking about parting with the Novus? Isn’t it a ‘great’ instrument? At least a year ago, by all accounts, it was considered the best thing since sliced bread. What happened? Was it the hissing, the flying hammers, or the “cumbersome” interface/touch screen?
Posted By: Gombessa Re: New kawai novus incoming ? - 08/06/19 03:18 PM
Seriously, why are you thinking about parting with the Novus? Isn’t it a ‘great’ instrument? At least a year ago, by all accounts, it was considered the best thing since sliced bread. What happened? Was it the hissing, the flying hammers, or the “cumbersome” interface/touch screen?

In this case, it sounds like the worst possible DP scenario: the comparison to a real, acoustic piano smile
Posted By: robinlb Re: New kawai novus incoming ? - 08/06/19 03:51 PM
But, Rob, there is a model ‘without strings’, it’s called the Novus “upright”.

Yes, I known, but this model has almost same size soundboard of my CA98 (maybe also has mid-high range speakers).
It's for me, only means a upright keyboard CA98 or CS11.
But I pay more attention to the full function(without normal speakers) and fulls size (upright standard soundboard K200 or higher).
Btw, from another test video, I noticed that strings are also important on digital mode. They are vibrating together with the soundboard driven by transducers. It will create more natural and nice sound than soundboard only.
Posted By: ˆTomLCˆ Re: New kawai novus incoming ? - 08/06/19 04:11 PM

In this case, it sounds like the worst possible DP scenario: the comparison to a real, acoustic piano smile

Exactly, Gom.
Pete the NV10 is probably the best DP (hybrid) one can buy. But as I said it is still not a live acoustic piano. I know I don't represent most of you in the DP forum. I’m an old early intermediate player. 5 years. I’ve had teachers, but at my age I want to learn what I want to learn. I love music and play the old ballets. In high school I was lead drummer and played jazz in bars and clubs at 17/18 with my best friend who played piano and first trumpet. Later he learned every instrument and taught high school band and always performed until he died a few months ago. A genius! I gave up other hobbies to learn piano. I should have started 50 years ago. But we had the war, and I had to finish school and work to support my young family. I know, TMI. The point is to me it is all about the experience I feel when I sit before the instrument. The touch of the keys, the sound and vibrations.

That said, the chances I will make the switch is about 20%.
Posted By: ˆTomLCˆ Re: New kawai novus incoming ? - 08/06/19 08:19 PM
Disappointing. The local Kawai dealer, with is quite large, doesn't have the Aures in yet. He said at least another month. I played several K's and other upright pianos in the store. Including a K200atx3. I didn't like it much. Also a K300 and a K500. The sound just isn't pleasing to me. And I guess it's my lack of training, but I cannot play them softly. I have to press the key firmly to get it to move and it strikes a very loud note. I know there are 5 foot tall uprights that probably feel and sound great. But I didn't play any. I spend an hour playing various grands from 5ft. to 7ft. The one that I really liked was an SK5! Wouldn't you know! But I played it louder than I could at home. The GL30 and the GX3 were nice. But overall, I found that I prefer the Mil III action over some really high priced grand pianos. Including M&H, S&S, and Estonia. Suffice it to say, I didn't get that feeling I was looking for. So for now, in my opinion the NV10 is the best option. And I recommend that you who are interested in the Aures take a look at it too.
Posted By: Gombessa Re: New kawai novus incoming ? - 08/06/19 08:46 PM
I hear you, Tom.

I play on uprights more than grands nowadays, and while they can be nice, and certainly authentic, particularly with regards to the resonance, they've just never really be "inspiring" to me in the way that a nice grand with the lid propped up can be.

It's kind of nice when GAS ends up affirming that what you already have is quite good, isn't it?

In any case, hope it quenches the fire for a bit, and you get a chance to try out the Aures when it finally does arrive.
Posted By: MacMacMac Re: New kawai novus incoming ? - 08/06/19 08:59 PM
I envy you guys. I have to hold my G.A.S. for another two years. frown

But that won't stop me from visiting my local mostly-Kawai dealer.
I don't remember seeing any Aures there last time (last November I think).
It's high time for me to pay another visit.
Posted By: ˆTomLCˆ Re: New kawai novus incoming ? - 08/06/19 09:01 PM
That is what I was thinking in the store. I am glad I was able to "expel the gas".

I do keep messing with the NV10 sound looking for the ultimate. I gave up (again) on Garritan. I just can't get it to feel connected? It is all so subjective. But if you listen to all the uprights and small grand pianos in the store. They all all so different. The NV10 has a SK5 selection in the sound mode. I cranked up the resonance to 8. I have touch on heavy so I can turn the volume up a bit higher and it is a bit less bright. It is a delight to play and listen to. If you compare it to the sound you will get from a baby grand you can fit in your home, it is pretty nice. So for now I am happy. By the way, the Kawai tech stopped by the other night on his way home from work, and brought a damper spring he had modified. He put it in and the pedal is smooth as silk. smile
Posted By: MacMacMac Re: New kawai novus incoming ? - 08/06/19 09:06 PM
It's hard to get a sense of your position from just text ...

So I wonder: maybe it's time to immerse in the music ... in the art.

Just play. Work on the music, not on the piano choices.

Just a thought.
Posted By: ˆTomLCˆ Re: New kawai novus incoming ? - 08/06/19 10:37 PM
Yes, it's a good thought. Just play the piano you got. Which is a great one to have. cool
Posted By: Kougeru Re: New kawai novus incoming ? - 08/07/19 05:25 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVck7Tc_0lg just showed up on my Youtube subscriptions "Hybrid Piano NOVUS『NV5』" https://www.kawai.jp/product/nv5/
Posted By: David B Re: New kawai novus incoming ? - 08/07/19 05:29 AM
Originally Posted by Kougeru
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVck7Tc_0lg just showed up on my Youtube subscriptions "Hybrid Piano NOVUS『NV5』" https://www.kawai.jp/product/nv5/

Cool video.

The NV5 looks very thin and sleek.

God Bless,
David
Posted By: CyberGene Re: New kawai novus incoming ? - 08/07/19 05:33 AM
So, no binaural option and no USB-interface?
Posted By: tblb Re: New kawai novus incoming ? - 08/07/19 06:35 AM
650 000 yen !!
Posted By: jamiecw Re: New kawai novus incoming ? - 08/07/19 06:47 AM
650 000 yen !!

That’s roughly (currency conversion only) £5K, €5.46K or $6.1K - I’ll bet it will be more once it arrives in the stores.
Posted By: tudor33sud Re: New kawai novus incoming ? - 08/07/19 06:48 AM
I'm curious to see whether they improved the speaker system from what they've learnt on the Novus NV-10 which was a little bit lacking for a couple of novus buyers. The look is obviously very nice, and the video is also great! I just hope more and more companies would start innovating with pianos, and things could be advancing a little bit faster than right now..
Posted By: Harpuia Re: New kawai novus incoming ? - 08/07/19 06:52 AM
650,000 yen is the same as Yamaha N1X. Kawai is really smart at the product and pricing. NV5 is different from NU1X and N1X (a real upright action with a soundboard)
Posted By: JoBert Re: New kawai novus incoming ? - 08/07/19 07:03 AM
Aaaaand... here it is, announced officially:

http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthre...ai-announces-novus-nv5-hybrid-piano.html
Posted By: Kawai James Re: New kawai novus incoming ? - 08/07/19 07:07 AM
So, no binaural option and no USB-interface?

Correct - the same hardware platform as the NV10.

Kind regards,
James
x
Posted By: Koray Üstüner Re: New kawai novus incoming ? - 06/06/20 01:08 PM
Any news about upcoming kawai novus piano with better samples like CA99?
It was about 3 years since NV10.
Posted By: Pete14 Re: New kawai novus incoming ? - 06/06/20 01:27 PM
NV20?
Posted By: terminaldegree Re: New kawai novus incoming ? - 06/06/20 01:46 PM
Originally Posted by Koray Üstüner

Is it your perception that the samples on one are worse than the other, after playing them?
Posted By: Koray Üstüner Re: New kawai novus incoming ? - 06/06/20 03:13 PM
Unfortunately I haven't play CA99/79 or any NV series yet. I live in Cyprus and we don't have these pianos here in any showrooms. I can only order them without experiencing frown
So I'm tring to understand via reading forum users experiences before ordering one.
If there are any rumors about upcoming product, I can wait, if not will order in few months depending on current situation.
Posted By: ˆTomLCˆ Re: New kawai novus incoming ? - 06/07/20 01:49 PM
Originally Posted by Koray Üstüner

The sound samples in both are the same.
Posted By: CyberGene Re: New kawai novus incoming ? - 06/07/20 01:55 PM
Oh, no, not again... They are not the same, they are different!
Posted By: ˆTomLCˆ Re: New kawai novus incoming ? - 06/07/20 03:35 PM
The UI is different. According to the US website, the renderings are same.

CA99: Pianist mode: SK-EX Rendering

- 88-key multi-channel sampling
- SK-EX recording

Sound mode: Harmonic Imaging XL (HI-XL)

- 88-key stereo sampling
- SK-EX, SK-5, EX recording

256 note maximum polyphony

NV10: Pianist mode: SK-EX Rendering

- 88-key multi-channel sampling
- SK-EX recording

Sound mode: Harmonic Imaging XL (HI-XL)

- 88-key stereo sampling
- SK-EX, SK-5, EX recording

256 note maximum polyphony
Posted By: CyberGene Re: New kawai novus incoming ? - 06/07/20 04:00 PM
I think the SK-EX rendering is a newer version.
Posted By: ˆTomLCˆ Re: New kawai novus incoming ? - 06/07/20 04:40 PM
Okay Kawai James, if this is true, where is my software update?
Posted By: Gombessa Re: New kawai novus incoming ? - 06/07/20 04:52 PM
I think it's a slightly improved version (KJ had suggested some tweaked preset rendering characters, but not to expect anything drastic like a resampling or anything)
Posted By: MacMacMac Re: New kawai novus incoming ? - 06/07/20 06:01 PM
If cars brands were treated the same way as piano sample brands, then these are the same car:

[Linked Image]

Don't depend on cutesy names to identify the sound. From high-end to low-end a manufacturer will use the same name ... but the sound will be different.

Smaller samples, fewer layers, smaller memory ... all these methods are used to cheapen the lower models, even though the "name" stays the same.
Posted By: Marchelune Re: New kawai novus incoming ? - 09/20/20 11:10 AM
Ok so now that the ES920 and ES520 are out there ... when is the new Novus coming 🤩?

I want to upgrade to some hybrid in the next months, and although my pick would be an NV10 now, I am caught in this "but what if they release a new model next month !?" state of mind.
If any of you is following tech news, kind of how NVidia announced the RTX 3000 serie which apparently outperforms the previous generation that people bought for loads of money.
I expect pianos aren't as spec-driven as GPUs but well ... it's still tech hardware ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Is anyone here also waiting? What would you be expecting in a new Novus (nv20?) - or do you think the NV10 is the grail of the next years?
I personally hope for:
  • A grand action. The NV5 is an impressive instrument but find the grand actions more enjoyable.
  • A better speaker system/a soundboard. In the store I felt I had to push the volume much more on the NV10 than on the Avant Grands. From the reviews I saw, the soundboard on the NV5 seems to give an impressive bass response.
  • A better back panel finish/a grand form factor: I guess it's heavily debatable depending on your space situation, but the nv10's back panel is really ugly for the price tag: the NV5 looks much better, and if combined with a soundboard an N3X competitor would look amazing.
  • Sturdier feel. This one is very subjective but like many commented here, I liked the n1x more on my first try because it felt overall more solid, whilst the nv10 action felt more fragile. I believe only time can give an objective answer to the solidity.
  • also on the subjective side, I see the next Novus as a potentially better hybrid because Kawai will have the experience of the 2 previous models, whilst the nv10 was the first of its kind for Kawai.
  • Neotex keys? I mean if we go premium ... 💸😁
  • Midi 2.0 support, because we're not in 1980 anymore and it will make it future proof for VST/recordings - although right now the Pianist sound engine will be a good enough upgrade from where I am (Roland)

So, what about all of that for Christmas 🎄😇?

PS: and yes Pete14 I expect super extreme happyness levels as well 😇.
Posted By: Beowulf Re: New kawai novus incoming ? - 09/20/20 11:21 AM
Highly doubt a new Novus model will be out any time soon unless they are releasing a competitor to the AvantGrand N3X...
Posted By: Marchelune Re: New kawai novus incoming ? - 09/20/20 11:47 AM
Originally Posted by Beowulf
Highly doubt a new Novus model will be out any time soon unless they are releasing a competitor to the AvantGrand N3X...

Well I wouldn't mind an N3X competitor 😃 - and I'm actually surprised Kawai didn't yet come up with its own grand-looking hybrid, since Yamaha stands unchallenged.
Posted By: Pete14 Re: New kawai novus incoming ? - 09/20/20 01:48 PM
What about a new N3X (N4X?) model?

I mean, the N3X was released back in 2016, so come winter NAMM it’ll be 5 years old.

If I’m not mistaken, the original N3 came out in 2009, so that means 7 years between the N3 and N3X; however, back then there was no competition, and the truth is that the N3X is somewhat of a medium upgrade and not a complete redesign from the ground up (including aesthetics).

Regarding the NV-20, it could be another year or two (I hope I’m wrong) because the NV-5 is relatively new, and I’m sure Kawai wants to cash-in on that initial momentum. When the NV-5 fever starts to come down, out comes the NV-20!

Incidentally, why have we decided to call it the ‘NV-20’? The truth is that it could be anything from the NV-11 to the NV-99!
Posted By: terminaldegree Re: New kawai novus incoming ? - 09/20/20 02:39 PM
I am just guessing, but based on past history, “halo” digital pianos have a much longer product cycle than DP slabs and consoles. It’s very possible that many of these items on the wish list will be implemented, though.

There’s probably not much profit in these hybrid pianos, particularly given the cost of real grand piano actions, to justify a 3-5 year refresh cycle, when the sales volume is taken into consideration.

Pete14, you can have my winter NAMM tickets this year!
Posted By: Pete14 Re: New kawai novus incoming ? - 09/20/20 02:42 PM
Originally Posted by terminaldegree
Pete14, you can have my winter NAMM tickets this year!

Thank you? wink
Posted By: Beowulf Re: New kawai novus incoming ? - 09/20/20 02:50 PM
Let's not forget the N2 has been around for more than a decade now and it's still selling.
Posted By: Gombessa Re: New kawai novus incoming ? - 09/20/20 02:54 PM
Originally Posted by Beowulf
Let's not forget the N2 has been around for more than a decade now and it's still selling.

Yeah, but Yamaha is kinda weird like that. See CP-300.
Posted By: Marchelune Re: New kawai novus incoming ? - 09/20/20 08:03 PM
What about a new N3X (N4X?) model?
I mean, the N3X was released back in 2016, so come winter NAMM it’ll be 5 years old.
Well I would be surprised Yamaha invests here before knowing what the Kawai opponent will be, but I'd give it proper attention if it were to be released.

Regarding the NV-20, it could be another year or two (I hope I’m wrong)

No offense but I hope you are wrong too 😅. I'm a new tech addict and I need the new tech now! New tech tomorrow is old tech! I wonder if/how the covid situation affected development of new hybrids.

Incidentally, why have we decided to call it the ‘NV-20’? The truth is that it could be anything from the NV-11 to the NV-99!
I don't know it sounds rather logical 😁, NV10 is double NV5 so .... OR maybe it's NV15 🤯.

Originally Posted by terminaldegree
There’s probably not much profit in these hybrid pianos, particularly given the cost of real grand piano actions, to justify a 3-5 year refresh cycle, when the sales volume is taken into consideration.

Fair enough 🤔, but then I don't necessarily see it as a refresh but more of a new model in the novus line, potentially Kawai's N3X. For instance, it seems they released the DG30 simply because Kawai had no grand-ish looking keyboards to compete with Roland or Yamaha. So my hope is that they'll try to get their share of the cake as well.

When is the NAMM? Perhaps we'll get some more details by then.
Posted By: terminaldegree Re: New kawai novus incoming ? - 09/20/20 09:13 PM
Originally Posted by Marchelune
When is the NAMM? Perhaps we'll get some more details by then.

Summer NAMM 2020 in Nashville was cancelled. Winter NAMM 2021 in Anaheim is also cancelled. New keyboard instrument releases are typically at the winter shows, if they occur at NAMM. So, January 2022 at the earliest, unless released at a different show, if at all?

The economy is pretty slow globally, and the supply chain is still not as it was, pre-pandemic. Unless a model is already in production and completely through the development process, I don't think we'll be seeing a lot of new DP products in the next 6 months. Just a guess.

The major shows (NAMM, Music China, Musikmesse) are often, but not always, when new products are introduced. Probably because many dealers for each of these global markets attend the shows, and a lot of press and other music industry people are there, so there's also an opportunity for a lot of product exposure by the people who are most involved with sales and promotion at the wholesale level.
Posted By: Gombessa Re: New kawai novus incoming ? - 09/20/20 11:33 PM
My guess is that seeing the cadence between the NV-10 and NV-5, Kawai is either by choice or necessity staggering releases, either new models or refreshes to existing ones. It allows enough time for meaningful changes to be made in hw/sound engine, and keeps up a timing of frequent updates without appearing dead in the water for half a decade or more. It probably also helps with design/supply/manufacturing and logistical scheduling (how many teams so you think they have working on hybrid designs? My guess is 1).

So maybe an NV-20 in a couple of years (or maybe an NV-10 refresh in that time). And definitely NOT a new NV refresh every 1-2 years.
© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums