Piano World Home Page

CVP-800 series thread

Posted By: R111

CVP-800 series thread - 07/18/19 05:20 PM

Go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBKolbnZk7E
Posted By: Pianofortissimo

Re: CVP-800 series thread - 07/18/19 06:13 PM

So, is it at NAMM? Prediction was confirmed (well, it was not so difficult). Waiting for more videos and complete specs. Thank you for the news.
Posted By: navindra

Re: CVP-800 series thread - 07/19/19 09:06 AM

Yamaha needs to fire/hire some marketing folks, because this is a terrible launch.

Re: CVP-800 series thread - 07/19/19 09:15 AM

Why this is a terrible launch? What happened? I don't know.
Posted By: jamiecw

Re: CVP-800 series thread - 07/19/19 09:16 AM

More like a leak than a launch...?
Posted By: Rich Galassini

Re: CVP-800 series thread - 07/19/19 09:23 AM

This is not a launch and it is not at NAMM. This is an internal Yamaha dealer meeting in Buena Park, Ca. This is not for public consumption and someone might get fired over over making this public - really.

Re: CVP-800 series thread - 07/19/19 09:32 AM

OK, now I understand. So, CVP800 does not exist yet.
Posted By: MacMacMac

Re: CVP-800 series thread - 07/19/19 10:20 AM

Who made this video? Maybe the CIA will investigate and find the culprit?
Short of that it's hard to see how anyone will be fired for this.
Originally Posted by Rich Galassini
This is not a launch and it is not at NAMM. This is an internal Yamaha dealer meeting in Buena Park, Ca. This is not for public consumption and someone might get fired over over making this public - really.
Posted By: jamiecw

Re: CVP-800 series thread - 07/19/19 10:25 AM

It was a collaborative leak by Snowden and Assange...there you go - solved.

Re: CVP-800 series thread - 07/19/19 11:19 AM

ahaha!! Very nice topic. Reading the first topic in this thread it seemed that CVP800 was at NAMM. Bad luck. I hope this video is true, ahd new CVP series will be released soon.
Posted By: pmh

Re: CVP-800 series thread - 07/19/19 11:19 AM

Completely agree with the Mac here. I thought it was a really odd demonstration. We will probably have to wait for the more in depth videos and demos of this.

Paul H

Re: CVP-800 series thread - 07/19/19 11:22 AM

Overall, we wait the piano!
Posted By: tudor33sud

Re: CVP-800 series thread - 07/19/19 11:51 AM

Cunningham Piano also commented on the video, and said this should not be public!

Ooopsie! Thrilled although to see what's the new piano engine for the CVP 8xx smile

Re: CVP-800 series thread - 07/19/19 12:40 PM

Well ... the number 8 is shaped very differently than the number 7. I think that will be the biggest change.

But I might be wrong. They might put tail fins on the new pianos. Or some body-side chrome strips. Maybe a vinyl top?

Summary: I wouldn't expect much. Not much changes in pianos.
And you won't see these pianos in stores for many months ... in those few stores that even stock the CVP series.
Posted By: Pete14

Re: CVP-800 series thread - 07/19/19 01:27 PM

What about RTS (remote touch sensing)? This state-of-the-art tech is currently being used in other industries; however, it would be good if Yamaha employed it in its new CVP-800.

Re: CVP-800 series thread - 07/19/19 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by jamiecw

Hahahaha!!
Posted By: EPW

Re: CVP-800 series thread - 07/19/19 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by jamiecw

So the CCP-800 is harboring in Russia right now smile

Re: CVP-800 series thread - 07/19/19 06:39 PM

That would be the CCCP-800, right? smile
Posted By: EPW

Re: CVP-800 series thread - 07/19/19 07:01 PM

Never know with the russians
Posted By: RJ17

Re: CVP-800 series thread - 07/19/19 11:45 PM

Recent cvp809 YouTube video is now offline. Nashville NAMM looks like a no-no for 2019. Russia is the next NAMM - Sept. 12-14. I believe they will introduce the cvp 800 series by then. Late summer was the last prediction I heard.

Re: CVP-800 series thread - 07/21/19 03:21 PM

As I said in the other thread, September was the month in which Yamaha released Genos in 2017 I believe. So it could happen the same this year for arranger pianos. If it will be, we could see new pianos in the stores just for Christmas campaign.
Posted By: PlsDontShootMe

Re: CVP-800 series thread - 07/26/19 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by RJ17
Recent cvp809 YouTube video is now offline.

For those of us late to the party, can anyone summarize what (if anything) was in the YouTube video?

Re: CVP-800 series thread - 07/26/19 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by PlsDontShootMe
Originally Posted by RJ17
Recent cvp809 YouTube video is now offline.

For those of us late to the party, can anyone summarize what (if anything) was in the YouTube video?

It looked like a cell phone recording of what might have been a CVP-809GP having The Godfather theme being played with various voices. It wasn't a high-fidelity recording, but the guitar voice and violin sounded pretty darned good with very, very good voice articulation. I didn't think good violin sound was possible on a keyboard instrument.

There were some piano sounds, of course, as well as some throwaway human scat-wow-type voices that I think are a waste of time. And there was showing the obligatory CVP backing auto-accompaniment thrown in here and there.

What I heard made me wonder if the Genos sound engine was being used, but I guess I'll have to wait to find out for sure.
Posted By: PlsDontShootMe

Re: CVP-800 series thread - 07/27/19 03:52 AM

Thank you for the info, R111. Looking forward to the real debut!

Re: CVP-800 series thread - 07/27/19 12:57 PM

Anyone downloaded that video? Unfortunately I did not.

Re: CVP-800 series thread - 07/27/19 01:38 PM

You didn't miss much.
Originally Posted by Pianofortissimo
Anyone downloaded that video? Unfortunately I did not.

Re: CVP-800 series thread - 07/27/19 02:52 PM

Yes, it was just some guy pretending to be amazed at the fact that he could play a ‘sax’ with a piano keyboard while having a backup (virtual) band come in and out of the picture.
The idea is that his “enthusiasm” will catch on, and it does, if you’ve been living in a cave for the last 50 years.
If a hologram of Ella Fitzgerald were to manifest on command, in front of me, at the touch of a button, and also interact with me -“Play it again, Sam, but now in C minor”- I’d be salivating for the CVP-80000000! laugh
Posted By: mimi9

Re: CVP-800 series thread - 07/28/19 03:32 PM

Cunningham Piano is advertising a clearance sale on its remaining stock of the CVP-700 series, so the CVP-800s must be arriving soon.
Posted By: Frédéric L

Re: CVP-800 series thread - 07/31/19 08:30 PM

Some videos :

https://youtu.be/e0gvnsVX5o8
https://youtu.be/GT4pJCKOXPg
https://youtu.be/ejPeT_A1YUg
Posted By: tudor33sud

Re: CVP-800 series thread - 07/31/19 08:44 PM

That was fast! I really enjoy these videos from Yamaha. However, it's hard to tell if the sound engine is a big step forward from the previous one. They only seem to say improved CFX sound, so kind of dissapointing I guess, and no binaural for Bosendorfer sound..

However, even though I can't tell how big is the upgrade in sound, I like it in a sense that it feels very much alive! laugh so I hope we ll find out more details soon, since the website still has the old series.

Re: CVP-800 series thread - 07/31/19 09:10 PM

If these videos are true (no reason to doubt) I believe that CFX sound made a big step forward. Just tried listening these videos through my high end audio system, comparing them to older videos about CVP709. Obviously things are more and more complex, and we must test and play alive on a real instrument to confirm this, but my impression is that Yamaha is going to release a very interesting new piano. We will see soon.

Re: CVP-800 series thread - 07/31/19 09:46 PM

I see they mention the GrandTouch action that has met with some unfavorable reviews here and there in the CLP-685 line. I wonder if it avoidable in some of the lower trims or if they've made some tweaks to it.
Posted By: Kougeru

Re: CVP-800 series thread - 07/31/19 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by R111

I see they mention the GrandTouch action that has met with some unfavorable reviews here and there in the CLP-685 line. I wonder if it avoidable in some of the lower trims or if they've made some tweaks to it.

TBH this forum is a very small sample size. At my local store and a few onlinne stores I called they said the 675 and 685 had sold really well. Local piano store said they had never had anyone complain about the keybed. It's impossible to know how well received it is overall in the real world but my point is there is definitely people that really enjoy it. I haven't played on it so I have no opinion lol.

I'm not really interested in the CVP due to it doing way more than what I need, but it does sound great and it looks like it looks promising for what it does

Re: CVP-800 series thread - 07/31/19 11:02 PM

Looks like fun. I told my husband about it and he asked me if I wanted to upgrade from our CVP-705. I asked him if it was worth 15-20K to him and he didn't think so. At least that's my guess for the list price for the CVP-809, if that's what they are calling it.

Anyhow, when it arrives, I'll head out to the store and check it out. And check out an N1X too.

Re: CVP-800 series thread - 08/01/19 06:50 AM

--

Re: CVP-800 series thread - 08/01/19 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by R111

Some years ago one person came to my home and wanted to try my Schimmel grand. After just few notes he said: "Noooo, the keyboard is too weighty and hard!". Oh yes.... YOU are not able to play a grand! But I did not told him.

Re: CVP-800 series thread - 08/01/19 09:48 AM

Yamaha of America has not formally yet introduced the new CVP 800 series in writing, only on VIDEO.
All we got so far are 6 videos with Peter Baartman.

Here’s the link:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLbPXhs3J3MiC3NuKMi6skCtUMfqeWwEpk

Re: CVP-800 series thread - 08/01/19 11:33 AM

The official written introduction from Yamaha has finally arrived.
Here’s the link:

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/yamaha-clavinova-cvp-800-series-100000382.html

Re: CVP-800 series thread - 08/01/19 12:23 PM

I heard a backup band accompanying Peter, but I see no band in the video; how is this possible?
Is this magic? Has Yamaha miniaturized an entire band of musicians and placed them somewhere inside the piano? Are these mini musicians paid by the hour? Do they get to go home?
Such innovation is mind blowing! At some point Pete seemed transfixed by the sound of a guitar coming out of this futuristic machine! It’s a piano, it’s a band, it’s the new and “improved” CVP-800!

Forget about the new Novus with its old-fashioned wooden soundboard. C’mon, Kawai; it’s 2019, and you’re giving me a wooden soundboard? Why can’t you stick a whole band into the new Novus? Now, that would be innovation!
Don’t even get me started on that upright action; Yamaha is using a Grand.......Touch action in the CVP-800. Take that, Kawai! laugh
Posted By: navindra

Re: CVP-800 series thread - 08/01/19 02:34 PM

Does this sound engine match or surpass the N3X for the piano voices?

Re: CVP-800 series thread - 08/01/19 02:49 PM

In that very first description (see link above) it seems that CVP800 will have the same sound engine like in Genos. I don't know which engine is included in N3X.
Very interesting the internal memory (2 GB) for audio recording without any external USB device.

Re: CVP-800 series thread - 08/01/19 04:22 PM

The US website has been updated now.

https://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical_instruments/pianos/clavinova/cvp-809gp/index.html

Re: CVP-800 series thread - 08/01/19 05:17 PM

The italian website, too. So this piano is now released in every country I believe. But we must wait next fall to try it in the stores.

Re: CVP-800 series thread - 08/01/19 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by mimi9

I don't see any CVP-801 yet. Did Yamaha decide to ax the lowest range of the CVP lineup?

https://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical_instruments/pianos/clavinova/index.html

Re: CVP-800 series thread - 08/01/19 08:37 PM

It seems. Also the official release note linked above speaks of just 3 models (CVP805, CVP809 and CVP809GP). I suspect that most CVP801 possible customers are oriented to CSP series now, so they axed the little model. But this is my opinion, no information here.

Re: CVP-800 series thread - 08/01/19 09:59 PM

I’m very confused. Looking at the online Yamaha site, under the ‘Overview’ section, the ‘Features’ area states that the CVP 800 series has a built-in Bluetooth, but.... under the ‘Smart Pianist section’, bottom- ‘Using SmartPianist together with a CVP-800 Series Clavinova’, it states: “A. Connect using a cable An Apple Lightning - USB Camera Adapter and USB cable (sold separately) are required.
Connect the USB cable to the USB TO HOST port on the instrument. *If you are using iPad pro 12.9 inch 3rd generation or iPad pro 11inch, please use Apple USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter or Apple USB-C VGA Multiport Adapter” “B. Connect wirelessly using Wi-Fi. *Varies by area
The UD-WL01 (sold separately) must be purchased to use a wireless connection. Connect the UD-WL01 to the USB TO DEVICE port on the instrument.”
So.... which is it? : A. Built-in Bluetooth, B. USB Camera Adapter and USB Cable, C. Connect wirelessly using Wi-Fi With adapter, or D. All of the above. Any suggestions from anyone? Or did they just copied from the CVP 709 brochure?

Re: CVP-800 series thread - 08/01/19 10:25 PM

On the Yamaha CVP-800 Overview video, at 2:18, the demo guy connects an iPhone to the piano via Bluetooth. The caption says "Bluetooth Audio connection - enjoy music on your smart device via powerful speakers".

Nothing about Smart Pianist as far as I know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GT4pJCKOXPg

Re: CVP-800 series thread - 08/02/19 12:29 AM

Mimi9-
On the Yamaha CVP-800 Overview video, at 2:18, the demo guy connects an iPhone to the piano via Bluetooth. The caption says "Bluetooth Audio connection - enjoy music on your smart device via powerful speakers".

Nothing about Smart Pianist as far as I know.
——-
I’m talking about the WRITE version, not the first introduced audio.

Re: CVP-800 series thread - 08/02/19 12:41 AM

Mimi9
You posted: https://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical_instruments/pianos/clavinova/cvp-809gp/index.html

Re: CVP-800 series thread - 08/02/19 12:46 AM

I'm not sure I understand. What is the "WRITE" version? Do you mean written documentation?

My assumption from the video is that the Bluetooth connection only works to connect an iPhone/iPad to the speakers. Since they don't mention Smart Pianist in the video, I would guess that the connection information (no Bluetooth) that you quoted is probably still how Smart Pianist works with the CVP-809.

But since nobody around here has seen one of these pianos yet nor is there any real documentation available yet, who knows?

And yes, I did put up that link and under the Smart Pianist tab it says there is a cable connection and a WiFi connection. Nothing there about Bluetooth so again the chances are there is no Bluetooth connection for Smart Pianist. And that seems to be confirmed in the video which is why I mentioned it.

Re: CVP-800 series thread - 08/02/19 01:08 AM

Actually, I'm wrong. They already have the Owners Manual and Reference Manual posted. You can check them out for yourself.

https://usa.yamaha.com/support/manuals/index.html?l=en&c=digital_pianos&k=CVP-809
Posted By: Kawai James

Re: CVP-800 series thread - 08/02/19 01:18 AM

I don't believe Yamaha instruments feature built-in Bluetooth MIDI (which is how apps such as Smart Pianist communicate with the instrument), only Bluetooth Audio. However, Bluetooth MIDI functionality can be added by purchasing the MD-BT01 adapter or the original version produced by Quiccosound.

Kind regards,
James
x

Re: CVP-800 series thread - 08/02/19 01:19 AM

Thanks, James.

Re: CVP-800 series thread - 08/02/19 01:55 AM

Thank you both mimi 9 and Kawai James for the Bluetooth update. Now I understand. Yamaha should be more specific about what is Bluetooth accessibility AND WHAT IS NOT. By the way, mimi9, I wrote ´written´, my ipad decided to change it to ´write´. I noticed it also ,as you did, after the fact. Just hate the auto-correction.

Re: CVP-800 series thread - 08/02/19 02:38 AM

Yeah, they obviously tried to make the Bluetooth update seem like a big deal but it really doesn't amount to much.

Re: CVP-800 series thread - 08/15/19 07:56 AM

Anyone got the chance to try this new piano? I read that it is available from August 13th, but maybe only in the USA. Surely not in Italy yet. Probably in the coming fall in Europe.

Re: CVP-800 series thread - 08/16/19 12:53 AM

Be patient, it will take a while. Where did you read that it was available on 08/19? All sites online state, “AVAILABLE IN THE FALL”. This could be: Sept., Oct. or Nov. The USA is expecting it as soon as possible as much as the rest of the world: from Australia to Europe to America (both North and South).

Notice (online) that their introduction videos were worldwide which started on 7/31–8/01 and renewed on 08/08, as of today. Originally, the CVP 800 series should have been introduced back in May/19, but delayed because of complications...?..

By the way, I check the internet for information and pass it on, I’m not a piano dealer or anything as such.

Re: CVP-800 series thread - 08/17/19 11:45 AM

Just providing some additional information for this thread,

The CVP-701 will remain in the line up for sometime. It will remain an entry level CVP.

The very first CVP 800 series pianos in the USA will ship to dealers in Sept. so by month's end you should be able to play them live and in person.
Posted By: Bachus

Re: CVP-800 series thread - 08/17/19 01:47 PM

I am sorry, but there is barely no innovation in this product range compared to its predecessor the 709 thats 5 years old..

Re: CVP-800 series thread - 08/17/19 03:52 PM

How can you say this? No one tried them yet. I believe it is not a good thing to speak badly of a new product when it is not there. Or, maybe, someone has the corresponding old product or must sell it, so he/she says that new one is not so good..... it would be not the first time unfortunately.

Re: CVP-800 series thread - 08/17/19 04:01 PM

It's easy ... There's just not much innovation in this market. Very little. Least of all in the slow-selling CVP line.

The sun looked yellow yesterday. I have a feeling it will look yellow once again today. (Pianos aren't much different.)

Re: CVP-800 series thread - 08/17/19 04:52 PM

Yes it could be true (sun is always yellow), but it is true for all type of products, not just for pianos. It's all a big business. But sometimes we are happy to buy a new product because something new is developed in it. If not, why we buy a new piano? Why we buy a new car? Why we buy a new computer? Why we buy a new....... I do not agree with such approach, and no one can say for sure if a new product has some innovation or not without seeing and trying it. If not, all manufacturers could shut down their jobs! We do not hope so.
Posted By: Bachus

Re: CVP-800 series thread - 08/17/19 06:10 PM

How can you say this? No one tried them yet. I believe it is not a good thing to speak badly of a new product when it is not there. Or, maybe, someone has the corresponding old product or must sell it, so he/she says that new one is not so good..... it would be not the first time unfortunately.

Read the specs...
And went to a demo...
Talked with Peter Baeertmans...

Re: CVP-800 series thread - 08/18/19 02:15 PM

Bachus, On the positive side, since you have had first hand experience by “going to the demo...and talking w/ P.B.”, can you share with the rest of us what are some of the new innovations specifically on the CVP 809 and CVP 809GP? How about the action?, New sounds and styles, etc? Thanks!

Re: CVP-800 series thread - 08/19/19 07:41 AM

No one can say something without any real test. I don't believe that Peter Bartman is going against Yamaha saying this new piano is the same as old..... It sound very strange to me. So, we must wait.

Re: CVP-800 series thread - 08/19/19 10:41 AM

How do you know that Peter Baertmans said any such thing?
I don't believe that Peter Bartman is going against Yamaha saying this new piano is the same as old.
I, too, doubt that he said such a thing. And no one claims he did.

Re: CVP-800 series thread - 08/20/19 12:56 AM

Bachus seems ignore my questions. What positive comments did you get from your experiences?

I request an honest response to your statements:

‘“Read the specs...
And went to a demo...
Talked with Peter B.... “

Pianofortissimo you are on target !
Posted By: pmh

Re: CVP-800 series thread - 08/20/19 10:51 AM

Whilst I would be relieved if the CVP809 was not much of an advance on my CVP709, the Bachus post is I think deliberately vague. From his reply, all that can be deduced is that after talking with Peter B (no reference to what he actually said) after reading the specs and after listening to the demo, HE' Bachus' has concluded that the CVP809 is an evolutionary step only. I think we do have to wait and find out for ourselves.

Paul H

Re: CVP-800 series thread - 08/20/19 01:32 PM

Totally agree with you PMH!

Re: CVP-800 series thread - 08/20/19 01:47 PM

I think this is ALWAYS the case.
Originally Posted by pmh
I think we do have to wait and find out for ourselves.
Despite any rumors about an upcoming product ... despite the pre-launch build-up ... despite the glory-filled announcements ... despite the spec sheets that obfuscate more than they inform ... despite the long delay before the product shows up at a retailer ...

We can only wait for hands-on and ears-up. Anticipation is over-rated.

Re: CVP-800 series thread - 08/22/19 05:20 PM

New video on the cvp 805 with P. B.

https://youtu.be/WSzYmiT8sWk

Re: CVP-800 series thread - 08/22/19 06:54 PM

Very nice! Unfortunately audio quality is not so high, but this demo is interesting! And Peter Baartman is a very good pianist.

Re: CVP-800 series thread - 08/23/19 12:46 AM

I found the sound quality to be acceptable considering that perhaps it was not a direct line connection ..... Video was taken from a poor angle. What I found most unusual was——- WHY would you bring someone into your country and have the artist play an a piano facing a WALL ???

P.B. did a wonderful job playing, as always.

Re: CVP-800 series thread - 08/31/19 08:00 PM

One more video, in french language:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHT5gtlM_iM
Well, not so interesting.
Posted By: AlphaBravoCharlie

Re: CVP-800 series thread - 08/31/19 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by MacMacMac
I think this is ALWAYS the case.
Originally Posted by pmh
I think we do have to wait and find out for ourselves.
despite the glory-filled announcements ... despite the spec sheets that obfuscate more than they inform ...

When I read all those fancy specs it always reminds me this scene from this great movie smile

Re: CVP-800 series thread - 09/01/19 12:25 AM

You made my day. smile
© 2019 Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums