Piano World Home Page
Hello folks,

Here's some new product information that may be of interest:

Kawai Japan is delighted to announce the CN29 and CN39, the latest additions to the popular CN Series of digital pianos, and successors to the highly regarded CN27 and CN37 models. These updated instruments have been developed in partnership with premium audio equipment manufacturer, Onkyo, and feature brand new sound delivery and speaker systems designed by the company to deliver richer, higher quality sound.

Read more...

Kawai Global website: CN29 product page
Kawai Global website: CN39 product page

Kind regards,
James
x
New Features & Improvements (compared to CN27/CN37)

CN29
NEW: Motherboard developed in partnership with Onkyo for improved tonal clarity
NEW: Speaker system developed by Onkyo, delivering superior sound
NEW: Updated control panel layout with modern OLED graphic display
NEW: Chopin Walzer (1~19) lesson book
NEW: Tone Control setting with 8 selectable tone presets
IMPROVED: Improved Shigeru Kawai grand piano and harpsichord sounds
IMPROVED: Enhanced ‘Light’ Touch Curve setting for young children
IMPROVED: Updated Virtual Technician “Smart Mode” presets
IMPROVED: Modernised key cover appearance

CN39
NEW: Motherboard developed in partnership with Onkyo for improved tonal clarity
NEW: Speaker system developed by Onkyo, delivering superior sound
NEW: Updated control panel layout with modern OLED graphic display
NEW: Bluetooth Audio functionality for wireless audio playback
NEW: Shigeru Kawai SK-5 grand piano, electric piano, and electric grand sounds
NEW: Chopin Walzer (1~19) lesson book
NEW: Tone Control setting with 8 selectable tone presets
IMPROVED: Improved Shigeru Kawai grand piano and harpsichord sounds
IMPROVED: Enhanced Touch Curve setting with 10 selectable touch presets
IMPROVED: Updated Virtual Technician “Smart Mode” presets
IMPROVED: Modernised key cover appearance

Videos

That new control panel looks really nice! Any significant improvements to the sound? On product pages there are recordings form the previous models, CN27 and CN37.
Originally Posted by Darkwasp
That new control panel looks really nice!

Yes, it's a nice upgrade over the CN27.

The CN39 control panel is the same, however the LCD has been replaced with an OLED for improved visibility.

Any significant improvements to the sound?

Yes, the main piano sounds have been adjusted, and the new Onkyo hardware delivers a richer, clearer sound in general.

On product pages there are recordings form the previous models, CN27 and CN37.

Thanks. I've temporarily hidden the SoundCloud playlists until the CN29/CN39 demos are online.

Kind regards,
James
x
I've got a CN33, should I wait for the CN40?
Seem competitively priced from seeing this. https://www.gear4music.com/Keyboards-and-Pianos/Kawai-CN39-Digital-Piano-Premium-Rosewood/2ZJP
Originally Posted by bluebilly
I've got a CN33, should I wait for the CN40?

There might never be a CN40. wink

And there already were a CN41 and a CN42.

I guess Kawai needs to come up with a new numbering scheme in a few years.
Well done - now show us the ES9 and VPC2 please smile
And the ES120. laugh
Originally Posted by Morten Olsson

... and MP9 / MP12 as well wink
And the CS-12.
Can the OLED be turned off while playing? Completely off. The problem with OLED is that they ALWAYS get burn-in. It's unavoidable. It's in their nature. It's just a question of when, but static images greatly increase the odds of getting burn-in sooner. Being able to completely turn off the display when playing would reduce the risk of burn-in to the point of non-issue.
Nice playing, as always. Appreciate the videos w/o Keevan narrating. laugh
Originally Posted by Kougeru
Can the OLED be turned off while playing? Completely off. The problem with OLED is that they ALWAYS get burn-in.

Or does it have a screensaver? A line up of voluptuous, barely dressed showgirls doing the can-can? Would help also.
Is the action the same as cn37/27?

If not , how is it different?
Are these considered below the CA series in the Kawai lineup ?
Posted By: EPW Re: Kawai announces CN29 and CN39 digital pianos - 06/08/19 07:05 PM
Originally Posted by Arcflash
Are these considered below the CA series in the Kawai lineup ?

Yes
Is that primarily because of the different key actions?
Originally Posted by Arcflash
Is that primarily because of the different key actions?

Folded plastic action compared to the longer wooden GF action, a less detailed (?) and definitely shorter sample sound (PHI vs HI-XL/Pianist).
Thanks for the info
Posted By: EPW Re: Kawai announces CN29 and CN39 digital pianos - 06/08/19 09:17 PM
Its a nice action but the CA78, Ca98 have the GFII action which is really nice. Also the CA series uses wooden keys while the CN series uses plastic keys.
Regarding the actions, the spec sheets and “good/better/best” marketing don’t really belong in this discussion.

RH3 and GF2 don’t feel the same. To me, they feel so markedly different that if you told me it was made by two different manufacturers, I’d probably believe you.

Chances are, if you like the springy rebound of the RH3, you’ll dislike the quiet sponginess of GF2. And vice versa. Totally different animals.
Hopefully I will be able to check out both and compare. I was going to check out a CA48 on Craigslist but it went pretty quick. I like some of the features listed for the CN39 that the CA48 doesn't have like Bluetooth audio and line in/out. You have to jump up to the CA58 to get those and it's a $1,000 more than the CA48. Regardless I will be saving my pennies for a good long while for an upgrade.
Hello Kougeru,

Regarding your comment:

Originally Posted by Kougeru
Can the OLED be turned off while playing? Completely off. The problem with OLED is that they ALWAYS get burn-in. It's unavoidable. It's in their nature. It's just a question of when, but static images greatly increase the odds of getting burn-in sooner. Being able to completely turn off the display when playing would reduce the risk of burn-in to the point of non-issue.

Yes, you're correct. Burn-in can be an issue with OLED displays. For this reason, the CN29/CN39 feature an "Auto Screen Off" function which is set to 5 minutes by default, with options for 15 secs. or 30 mins.

Here is the relevant explanation from the owner's manual:
[Linked Image]

Kind regards,
James
x
Looks nice! My local arts center is planning on replacing a rather unstable old Wurlitzer console piano with one of these. If they haven't gotten it yet, I'll suggest the CN29 instead of the CN27!
Kawai James - is there a Kawai distributor in Tucson, AZ? I visit my daughter there often and I've just about persuaded her to let me put a DP in her home so I can practice/play when I'm there.
Originally Posted by FormerlyFlute
Kawai James - is there a Kawai distributor in Tucson, AZ? I visit my daughter there often and I've just about persuaded her to let me put a DP in her home so I can practice/play when I'm there.

Hello FormerlyFlute,

I just checked the dealer locator on the KawaiUS.com website, which lists "AZ Piano", based in Phoenix:

http://www.azpiano.com/

I'll ask my colleagues in the US if there are any alternative stores closer to Tuscon.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards,
James
x
Shameless thread bump for Tony's excellent review of the CN29:

Cheers,
James
x
Wow. I’m impressed at what your getting for that price point.
Very nice playing from Tony. I have to say, the "SK ConcertGrand" sound is very nice but I love the K60 upright sound too. It has so much character and "bass" power!

To me there is one thing that those digital piano manufacturers (Kawai, Yamaha and Roland too) could improve very much: the orchestra strings sound... It's very digital and cheap to my ears and it's not much different from that of my old Roland XP-50 synth of 90s. I know that they focus on the piano sounds (being a digital piano!), but nevertheless, after 25 years from that synth, I took it for granted that now we would've had a much more realistic orchestra strings sound...

Now I'm waiting a CN39 review too from Tony. His videos are always nice to see and to listen to. smile
Wow. I am really impressed with Tony's playing. He is playing 10x as much as others do in piano reviews! thumb
Does anyone know when these will be available in the US? They only seem to be available in Europe right now. Very interested in trying one out.
Tony is good player , I love the playing in mp7 se of the shiguru kawai , really amazing
They look very interesting, but a little off-topic: why don't these demo videos feature players playing classical repertoire? It always seems to be bluesy, or boogie-woogie or free improvisations etc. Maybe they don't want a lot of amateur critics picking their playing apart? *shrug* It'd be helpful though.
In the official videos of the CN29 and CN39 you can listen to some classical pieces.
Maybe most of the "piano store guys" can't really play any classical(?)

There's a woman playing classical pieces on the Polish "muzykujkropkacom" YouTube channel. If the video title says "classical" or "Noemi" then there's some classical.

(They have digital piano and keyboard demos.)
Thanks to both of the above commenters. I'll just make clear that I'm not singling out Kawai or the videos here but rather most of the demo videos I've seen on YT for whatever make.
I think pure classical music doesn't sell much as pop/jazz/blues/rock/ecc... So they do what the potential customers want more.
I wouldn't be surprised if the ES9 isn't a portable version of the CN39. Same keyboard, hardware and software, but 2 speakers instead of 4.
Originally Posted by Steve.L
I wouldn't be surprised if the ES9 isn't a portable version of the CN39. Same keyboard, hardware and software, but 2 speakers instead of 4.

Actually, the ES8 uses the HI-XL engine which is better (longer samples) than the PHI used in the CN27/37/29/39 series, and it already has the SK-5 piano samples that they introduced only now in the CN39.

So, I guess in Kawai they don't think yet to make an ES9, unless the competition has a better product in the same price range...
Originally Posted by magicpiano
Originally Posted by Steve.L

Actually, the ES8 uses the HI-XL engine which is better (longer samples) than the PHI used in the CN27/37/29/39 series, and it already has the SK-5 piano samples that they introduced only now in the CN39.
True. We'd have to hear them side by side. It's possible the Onkyo audio tweaking is such that the CN39 might sound better, in spite of the sampling differences. Also for those looking for it, the ES8 is missing the bluetooth midi and audio capability of the CN39.
Yes, if you listen to these instruments just with their internal speakers, the CN39 with Onkyo speakers "could" sound better... But usually these are very subjective preferences... Maybe you would like more the ES8 speakers. Who knows... You should listen to both of them to judge yourself.

Another thing to notice is that both the CN37 and CN39 have 2 resonance effects that the ES8 doesn't have: "Undamped Strings Resonance" and "Cabinet Resonance". However these are 2 subtle effects that I am able to hear clearly only with good headphones (and when the values of these effects are set near their max). Personally I would have preferred longer samples and more velocity layers, but then I think the CN series would have competed too much with the more expensive CA models. Probably, when all the CA models will have at least the SK-EX Rendering Engine, then on all the CN models we will see the HI-XL engine instead of the PHI.
By the way, guys - what is "CN"? CA means "Concert Artist". But what about CN? "Concert Newbie" smile?
Originally Posted by PianoStartsAt33
By the way, guys - what is "CN"? CA means "Concert Artist". But what about CN? "Concert Newbie" smile?

I searched for a clue even in the very old Kawai CN models documentation (I think the first Kawai CN model was from 2000!!), but there is no reference to the reason for those letters.

All we know is that since the first Kawai digital pianos, CA series has wooden keys, CN series has plastic keys (but of very very nice quality, I have to say). So, the A in the CA series could be not just for "Artist" but for "Advanced" keyboard too, while the N in CN could stand for "Normal" keyboard.

In the KDP/KCP series, the K probably stands for "Kids".

But, at the end I think they could very well be just some letters without a particular meaning...
Hmmmmmm ... maybe KDP stands for Kawai Digital Piano?
And KCP might be Kawai Concert Piano?
Too easy?
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
Hmmmmmm ... maybe KDP stands for Kawai Digital Piano?
And KCP might be Kawai Concert Piano?
Too easy?

That would not make much sense to me, being that they are all Kawai, so you should have a 'K' before CA and CN too.
This is the second or third thread on what the Kawai initials on their models mean, I find that amusing (Kawai, are you listening?).

Just a few months ago, Kawai James had to step in to some debate to confirm that the "NV" in NV-10 did indeed stand for "Novus" and was not a random pairing of unrelated letters. The things that occupy up sometimes....
If NV stands for NoVus, then we could think that that CN stands just for CoNcert...

These are those questions that don't make me sleep well at night... I will complain with Kawai for my lack of sleep. laugh
© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums