Piano World Home Page
Posted By: tesladan Best DP for electric piano sounds - 06/05/19 04:40 PM
Which digital piano brand has the best digital piano sounds such as
Fender Rhodes, Wurly, Clavinet, Strings, Yamaha CP80

The music I like to learn is mostly popular and rock from The Beatles , Foreigner, EltonJohn, Pink Floyd etc .

So for me the electric piano sounds as important as the acoustic piano sounds.

Dan
Posted By: Kbeaumont Re: Best DP for electric piano sounds - 06/05/19 04:57 PM
I don't about 'the best' that's very subjective. But having owned a Korg SV1 - 73, I haven't played anything else that plays and sounds that nice for just EP's. I have a bit sellers remorse for that one! And I have owned a real Rhodes suitcase model. The finger to ear connection with the SV1 is excellent and the little glowing tube does make it sound warm. The Acoustic piano is acceptable for the music you want to play. But your not going to use it for solo jazz or classical.

The Kurzweil Forte is fairly close though to it for EP and has a nice Grand Piano sound as well as organ, a host of synths and other instruments.

I have also heard good things about the Crummar Seven but haven't played one.
Posted By: Doug M. Re: Best DP for electric piano sounds - 06/05/19 05:18 PM
Originally Posted by tesladan
Which digital piano brand has the best digital piano sounds such as
Fender Rhodes, Wurly, Clavinet, Strings, Yamaha CP80

The music I like to learn is mostly popular and rock from The Beatles , Foreigner, EltonJohn, Pink Floyd etc .

So for me the electric piano sounds as important as the acoustic piano sounds.

Dan

Loads of good options:

1) Kawai MP7
2) Korg SV-1 / Kronos / grandstage
3) Roland RD2000
4) Yamaha CP88
5) Kurzweil Forte
6) Nord Stage 3 / Nord Piano 4 etc.
7) Crummar Seven,
8) Dexibel models.
9) Casio PX-S3000

I have the MP7 and the epianos IMO are stronger than the acoustic piano voices.

Now, sampled epianos are really good partly due to modelled effects.

There are some modelled epianos (notably Korg's epiano engine and Pianoteq).
Posted By: anotherscott Re: Best DP for electric piano sounds - 06/05/19 05:27 PM
Here's another vote for the Korg SV1. And download the optional soundpacks (free) for access to more sounds.

I've also heard good things about (but haven't played) a Crumar Seven, but it doesn't have strings sounds, and it uses a TP100 action which I think is not as good as Korg's RH3 action. Also, while neither is first rate for grand piano, the edge there probably also goes to the Korg.

Yes, Kurzweil Forte can be good here (and presumably forthcoming PC4), as I think can Kawai MP7SE, Nord Piano, Korg Grandstage... though specifically for Rhodes/Wurly/Clav/Strings/CP80, I think SV1 would be my first choice, and happens to also be the cheapest. For the task at hand, I don't think I'd look beyond that unless you need better acoustic piano.
Posted By: tesladan Re: Best DP for electric piano sounds - 06/05/19 05:40 PM
Those out of my price range..
So between Yamaha P125 vs Roland FP10/30 , Korg B1 for electric piano sounds, pros and cons for each?

Dan
Posted By: tesladan Re: Best DP for electric piano sounds - 06/05/19 06:03 PM
If spending more, Yamaha CP40 vs CP73?
If a Yamaha CP80 sound is important, then try a Casio before buying. It's rarely demoed, but apparently still pretty bad.
Posted By: anotherscott Re: Best DP for electric piano sounds - 06/05/19 06:51 PM
CP73 = $2000, and not as good for EP/clav as SV1 for <$1600.

If you need to stay in a lower price range, Kurzweil SP6 (which I forgot about before... for the purposes at hand, it's pretty close to the Forte).

If you need to stay in an even lower price range, Casio PX5S. There are nice additional EPs you can download into it from the casio forum, programmed by Dave Weiser, who also programmed lots of the EPs for the Kurzweils. Though I'd have to double check to see if it has a CP80 in it. It would still be a much better choice than the Yamaha P125, Roland FP10/30 , or Korg B1 you mentioned.
Posted By: Smaug Re: Best DP for electric piano sounds - 06/05/19 06:58 PM
Originally Posted by anotherscott
If you need to stay in an even lower price range, Casio PX5S.

I've owned a PX5S for several years and, while the EP sounds are tolerable, would not highly recommend it. Like many keyboards, the number of velocity levels for the Rhodes and Wurli is sorely lacking - only 4 levels.
Posted By: Kbeaumont Re: Best DP for electric piano sounds - 06/05/19 07:25 PM
If you need to stay in a lower price range, Kurzweil SP6 (which I forgot about before... for the purposes at hand, it's pretty close to the Forte).

Totally agree, I have one and gig with it at least twice a month. And as Scott said its better than the others you mentioned. For the price its a real good value.
Posted By: Charles Cohen Re: Best DP for electric piano sounds - 06/05/19 07:30 PM
If "software pianos" is acceptable (I understand the gigging problems):

. . . Applied Acoustic Systems (AAS) "Lounge Lizard EP-4".

You don't get 15 examples of "Rhodes sound", chosen by someone else. You get the front panel (and some of the technician's adjustments) of a Rhodes, and you can set it up as you please. There are lots of presets, as well.

Against that, it is "modelled", not "sampled". Since the Rhodes was an electro-acoustic instrument, that might be OK even for sensitive ears.

When I sat down at a Korg SV-1 to try it out, my first reaction was:

. . . "Wow! These are all great sounds!"

But if it's out of budget . . . .
Posted By: Kawai James Re: Best DP for electric piano sounds - 06/06/19 12:16 AM
All good suggestions so far!

However, if you're on a tight budget, I would suggest the Yamaha P-125 and a secondhand iPad Air running some apps such as Korg Module, Gospel Keys, etc. The Yamaha has a USB audio interface built-in, allowing the iPad's sounds to be output through the built-in speakers.

Also, sure I'm biased, but +1 on the MP7! wink
http://www.kawaimp.com/mp7se/media/audio/

Cheers,
James
x
Posted By: tesladan Re: Best DP for electric piano sounds - 06/06/19 12:49 AM
CP73 = $2000, and not as good for EP/clav as SV1 for <$1600.

If you need to stay in an even lower price range, Casio PX5S. There are nice additional EPs you can download into it from the casio forum, programmed by Dave Weiser, who also programmed lots of the EPs for the Kurzweils. Though I'd have to double check to see if it has a CP80 in it. It would still be a much better choice than the Yamaha P125, Roland FP10/30 , or Korg B1 you mentioned.

Here in Canada prices I see:
Yamaha CP73 $2499.99 Long & McQuade
Korg SV1-73BK $2149.99 Cosmo Music
Posted By: tesladan Re: Best DP for electric piano sounds - 06/06/19 01:20 AM
How well would the Pianoteq 6 with these 2 instrument packs: C. Bechstein Digital Grand + Electric pianos:MKI,MKII & W1 work with 2019 Mac Mini used with Roland FP10 midi connection?

Dan
Posted By: Kawai James Re: Best DP for electric piano sounds - 06/06/19 01:25 AM
Pretty well?
Posted By: anotherscott Re: Best DP for electric piano sounds - 06/06/19 01:40 AM
Originally Posted by Smaug
I've owned a PX5S for several years and, while the EP sounds are tolerable, would not highly recommend it. Like many keyboards, the number of velocity levels for the Rhodes and Wurli is sorely lacking - only 4 levels.

The hexlayer EPs can be 6 level, though more likely, they will be less in order to reserve some of those hexlayer elements for other things (e.g. keyoff noises).

But did you download the free additional EP patches from the casio forum? If not, you may not have heard the PX5S at its best.

Regardless, I was suggesting PX5S if he couldn't swing even an SP6. I still think its is the best low budget option. What other weighted action board under $1k has EPs better than (or even as good as) the PX5S? Plus the PX5S sounds are highly editable, so you can tweak them in ways you can't on many low cost boards.

Here in Canada prices I see:
Yamaha CP73 $2499.99 Long & McQuade
Korg SV1-73BK $2149.99 Cosmo Music

The difference isn't as big as in the U.S., but the SV1 is still hundreds less, and it's the better board for EPs and clav.
Posted By: CyberGene Re: Best DP for electric piano sounds - 06/06/19 07:13 AM
I’ve recently demoed a CP88 and that’s the best Rhodes I’ve ever played, really enjoyed it and the effects are great. Casio’s Rhodes is a joke IMO.
Posted By: Doug M. Re: Best DP for electric piano sounds - 06/06/19 10:26 AM
Originally Posted by Doug M.

Loads of good options:

1) Kawai MP7
2) Korg SV-1 / Kronos / grandstage
3) Roland RD2000
4) Yamaha CP88
5) Kurzweil Forte
6) Nord Stage 3 / Nord Piano 4 etc.
7) Crummar Seven,
8) Dexibel models.
9) Casio PX-S3000

Vs. Rhodes

RD2000 vs. Grandstage

@3.50 from bonners MP7SE showing the effects section

Casio @ 3.58

actual

Vs. Wurlizer

actual

Clavinet

@ 5.18

epiano reviews and comparisons

Crumar 7 epianos

Recent piano comparison video for those sick of epianos
Posted By: anotherscott Re: Best DP for electric piano sounds - 06/06/19 11:16 AM
Originally Posted by CyberGene
I’ve recently demoed a CP88 and that’s the best Rhodes I’ve ever played, really enjoyed it and the effects are great. Casio’s Rhodes is a joke IMO.

You've played the PX5S Rhodes, including its free additional downloadable EPs?

(Though I have to admit, I even like the Rhodes in your CDP-100, if a "dark" Rhodes is what you're after.)

At any rate, again, I was saying PX-5S has best Rhodes under a grand. Even if you like CP88 better, it's $2500, pricier than the SV1, and I think most would agree, not as good.
Posted By: Doug M. Re: Best DP for electric piano sounds - 06/06/19 11:34 AM

(Though I have to admit, I even like the Rhodes in your CDP-100, if a "dark" Rhodes is what you're after.)

At any rate, again, I was saying PX-5S has best Rhodes under a grand. Even if you like CP88 better, it's $2500, pricier than the SV1, and I think most would agree, not as good.

You can buy plenty of used boards for under a grand in £ e.g., the MP7, the SV1 etc.
Posted By: anotherscott Re: Best DP for electric piano sounds - 06/06/19 01:06 PM
You can buy plenty of used boards for under a grand in £ e.g., the MP7, the SV1 etc.

I was talking dollars, but conceptually the point remains, I was suggesting things that would be cheaper than the SV1 which the OP said he might not be able to afford. And yes, of course, a used SV1 would be cheaper than a new one, if he wants to go that way. New or used, SV1 would be my first choice, SP6 would be my advice for something cheaper (though I haven't played that one myself yet), and PX5S would be my advice for something still cheaper. Below that, I'd say there's no weighted board that does a good job at meeting the OP's criteria. Other than, as Kawai James suggested, using a cheaper board and an iOS device (or laptop).

Also, I mentioned earlier than I wasn't sure about CP80 on PX5S. I checked, and there is a CP80-ish piano from Dave Weiser in a free downloadable sound set, here's what it sounds like:
https://soundcloud.com/casiomusicgear/spopegrand

To hear the other EPs in this PX5S free extra sound set, check https://www.casiomusicforums.com/index.php?/topic/4725-vintage-keys-set/

I'd be surprised if people thought these were bad EPs/clavs, or that there was any hammer action board for less money that sounded as good as this. At around the same price, you could possibly make a case for the Korg Kross or Roland Juno DS88... I happen to like the Casio best of the three for EP/Clav (in part for the action, as I am not a fan of the Kross/DS actions), but it's subjective, so I could see where someone might go for the Korg or Roland. But below these in price? I don't think there's anything competitive.
Posted By: Doug M. Re: Best DP for electric piano sounds - 06/06/19 01:39 PM

I was talking dollars, but conceptually the point remains, I was suggesting things that would be cheaper than the SV1 which the OP said he might not be able to afford. And yes, of course, a used SV1 would be cheaper than a new one, if he wants to go that way. New or used, SV1 would be my first choice, SP6 would be my advice for something cheaper (though I haven't played that one myself yet), and PX5S would be my advice for something still cheaper. Below that, I'd say there's no weighted board that does a good job at meeting the OP's criteria. Other than, as Kawai James suggested, using a cheaper board and an iOS device (or laptop).

Also, I mentioned earlier than I wasn't sure about CP80 on PX5S. I checked, and there is a CP80-ish piano from Dave Weiser in a free downloadable sound set, here's what it sounds like:
https://soundcloud.com/casiomusicgear/spopegrand

To hear the other EPs in this PX5S free extra sound set, check https://www.casiomusicforums.com/index.php?/topic/4725-vintage-keys-set/

I'd be surprised if people thought these were bad EPs/clavs, or that there was any hammer action board for less money that sounded as good as this. At around the same price, you could possibly make a case for the Korg Kross or Roland Juno DS88... I happen to like the Casio best of the three for EP/Clav (in part for the action, as I am not a fan of the Kross/DS actions), but it's subjective, so I could see where someone might go for the Korg or Roland. But below these in price? I don't think there's anything competitive.

Hi Anotherscott,

I'm not so sure that the SV-1 is that competitive anymore. Since the competition started using modelling for the effects parameters, the competition have closed up. It's not as hard to sample an epiano as a real piano, but the effects section is another matter.

Most of the boards I've put videos on seem pretty competitive to the SV1. I do like the SV-1 though; however, it's action is less competitive. I think the most fun thing about the SV-1 is it's brutish wild synth sounds. The epianos were very very good when it was released, now, they don't shine above the others. Also, there is the issue of key faults if you turn the board sideways in transit. Just some counter points to think about.

Of the boards in my post, the second hand ones I'd look at closest would be the SV-1, the Kawai MP7, the Kurzweil Artis or Forte (SE) and the Nord Stage or Piano boards (as you can always download the latest patches.

Hard to get the Kurzweil boards second hand, but their organ sounds are better than the SV-1 (as are the Kawai's). I think the others are mostly only available new currently and beyond budget.

Kind regards,

Doug.

P.S. did you hear that Roland VR-730 board.... Not bad at all.
Posted By: CyberGene Re: Best DP for electric piano sounds - 06/06/19 02:48 PM

Yep, I've played the PX-5S one. To be honest, that particular one is not bad at all, certainly the best Rhodes from Casio compared to their other boards where it's a joke. But generally I think Casio have some problem with recreating acoustic (and electromechanical to that matter) patches. It's either due to their compression or limitation of sample size. And the old CDP-100, are you serious? smile That's one of the most ridiculously bad Rhodes sounds in a digital board ever laugh The only time I think I kind of liked it was when I plugged it in a guitar combo, forgot the brand, and dialed in a lot of drive and stuff (or was it a Roland Jazz Chorus?) which all masked the underlying cr*p.
Posted By: anotherscott Re: Best DP for electric piano sounds - 06/06/19 03:29 PM
I'm not so sure that the SV-1 is that competitive anymore. Since the competition started using modelling for the effects parameters, the competition have closed up. It's not as hard to sample an epiano as a real piano, but the effects section is another matter.

The effects in the SV1 are modeled. Except the tube which is even better than modeled, it's real.

I think the most fun thing about the SV-1 is it's brutish wild synth sounds.

I think you've confused the SV1 with something else. The SV1 has almost no synth sounds or synth functionality in it.

Hard to get the Kurzweil boards second hand, but their organ sounds are better than the SV-1 (as are the Kawai's).

I agree... and if he'd mentioned organ, that would have affected my recommendations as well.

did you hear that Roland VR-730 board.... Not bad at all.

Basically same sounds as the VR09, which I've played. Nice sounding board, esp. for organ/synth stuff. Not a hammer action, of course, so in a different category.
Posted By: Doug M. Re: Best DP for electric piano sounds - 06/06/19 03:40 PM

I think the most fun thing about the SV-1 is it's brutish wild synth sounds.

I think you've confused the SV1 with something else. The SV1 has almost no synth sounds or synth functionality in it.

Hi Anotherscott,

Yeah, there are only two synth sounds. The first sounds like the synth in the movie Clockwork Orange (Other patch 5) and the fat one is patch 6. With the effects section, you get some nice variation.

Kind regards,

Doug.
Posted By: tesladan Re: Best DP for electric piano sounds - 06/06/19 04:01 PM
So far with the videos from Doug M., my favourite keyboard is the Crumar 7 epiano. Interface seems simple and like the retro look. Never heard of Crumar...new company? Will check other reviews for this as well.

Dan
Posted By: tesladan Re: Best DP for electric piano sounds - 06/06/19 04:17 PM
Also Nord Electro6D 61 would be good choice as well. On sale 2 $2999.00 CAN CosmoMusic
Posted By: anotherscott Re: Best DP for electric piano sounds - 06/06/19 07:05 PM
Yeah, there are only two synth sounds. The first sounds like the synth in the movie Clockwork Orange (Other patch 5) and the fat one is patch 6.

Actually, with the add-on soundpacks, I think there are a total of four synth sounds... 2 synth brass, one pad, and one lead.

But anyway, back to the MP7, I agree it's a great board, and when I had the MP7 and the SV1 next to each other, I was able to tweak/EQ some EP sounds to get them close to the SV1, but I still felt that the SV1 ultimately responded/played better. Plus the SV1 has all the dedicated real-time controls. Of course, the MP7 is a far more versatile board... unlike the SV1, it's a fully functional four zone MIDI controller, it has lots more sounds in it (including clonewheel organ), it does splits/layers, it has pitch and modulation controls, etc. And the EPs are indeed very good. But if you're talking strictly EPs/clav, I'd still have to give the edge to the Korg.

As for the Crumar, I haven't played it, but again, check to see if it has a strings sound.

Also Nord Electro6D 61 would be good choice as well. On sale 2 $2999.00 CAN CosmoMusic

Wow, you're all over the place in budget! Also, would you be okay with a 61-key non-hammer board? Though again, I have to come back to the SV1 which is almost 30% cheaper and is probably better for everything you asked about ("Fender Rhodes, Wurly, Clavinet, Strings, Yamaha CP80"). Also, keep in mind that 61 keys will not cover the actual range of any Rhodes, Wurly, or Clavinet. You'd be better off with a 73 from that perspective. If you decide you'd rather have a non-hammer action, though, for the particular sounds you're asking about, I'd say the Vox Continental would be better than the Nord, again for quite a bit less money.

And if you don't need a hammer action, but want something in your earlier price range ("Yamaha P125 vs Roland FP10/30 , Korg B1 "), look at the Numa Compact 2.
Posted By: tesladan Re: Best DP for electric piano sounds - 06/06/19 07:39 PM
Would it help with I give example of some stuff I like to learn to play, maybe this help those with experience what I should be looking at?

links:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQ9p5B5PILg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovpwSq3WsQ0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7HBoY7ekgU really like this one
Posted By: anotherscott Re: Best DP for electric piano sounds - 06/06/19 09:06 PM
Would it help with I give example of some stuff I like to learn to play, maybe this help those with experience what I should be looking at?

Lots of other sounds there... a lot of organ... synth and mellotron... You'll notice that most of that stuff involved multiple keyboards, because it's hard to find one board that excels at everything, and different actions are best for different sounds, and sometimes when playing more complex stuff, it's just convenient to have more keys at your disposal. Would you consider two boards, or do you really want to stick with one? And really, what's your budget?
Posted By: BradleyG Re: Best DP for electric piano sounds - 06/06/19 10:25 PM
A used CP5. Unlike the CP4 and CP88, the CP5 has an ungraded action (still wooden white keys), which is the way it would be on a real Rhodes. The CP5 allows parameterized editing of the electric pianos, as they’re partly modeled. They sound great. Also, the onboard effects are solid.
Posted By: tesladan Re: Best DP for electric piano sounds - 06/06/19 10:58 PM

Wow, you're all over the place in budget! Also, would you be okay with a 61-key non-hammer board? Though again, I have to come back to the SV1 which is almost 30% cheaper and is probably better for everything you asked about ("Fender Rhodes, Wurly, Clavinet, Strings, Yamaha CP80"). Also, keep in mind that 61 keys will not cover the actual range of any Rhodes, Wurly, or Clavinet. You'd be better off with a 73 from that perspective. If you decide you'd rather have a non-hammer action, though, for the particular sounds you're asking about, I'd say the Vox Continental would be better than the Nord, again for quite a bit less money.

And if you don't need a hammer action, but want something in your earlier price range ("Yamaha P125 vs Roland FP10/30 , Korg B1 "), look at the Numa Compact 2.
[/quote]

Only mentioned The Nord and Crumar as they seemed to be best in EP sounds, not that they were in my budget. Also noticed that the Roland RD800 and RD300 seems not available any more and no replacements as they being used in you tube video's playing pop & rock. Not sure how important weighted keyboard is for popular & rock music. Will not play any classical stuff

Dan
Posted By: tesladan Re: Best DP for electric piano sounds - 06/06/19 11:02 PM

Lots of other sounds there... a lot of organ... synth and mellotron... You'll notice that most of that stuff involved multiple keyboards, because it's hard to find one board that excels at everything, and different actions are best for different sounds, and sometimes when playing more complex stuff, it's just convenient to have more keys at your disposal. Would you consider two boards, or do you really want to stick with one? And really, what's your budget?

Just examples of music I like to learn and the link for rock & pop of all time, famous songs keyboard medley , may be done on single keyboard?

Dan
Posted By: anotherscott Re: Best DP for electric piano sounds - 06/06/19 11:17 PM
Only mentioned The Nord and Crumar as they seemed to be best in EP sounds, not that they were in my budget.

I haven't heard the newest EP updates for the Electro 6 which just became available in February. But at least up until then, I would not have ranked Nord at the top for EP. I'd say Korg SV1, Korg Kronos/Grandstage/VoxContinental (basically the same as each other, but different from SV1), Kawai, and Kurzweil all beat Nord on EPs.

Based on the video links you added, it sounds like you need organ, which alters the equation. Nord Electro 6 has it, Crumar Seven does not. SV1 is very weak for organ.

Also noticed that the Roland RD800 and RD300 seems not available any more and no replacements

I think the RD2000 has all the sounds that were in the RD800. I don't put Roland on first tier for EPs. But it's also somewhat subjective, of course.

Not sure how important weighted keyboard is for popular & rock music.
It's a benefit for piano. It's a hindrance for organ.

One more question in addition to the ones I asked in my previous post... Is this just for home use, or do you envision possibly gigging? If the latter, is travel weight an issue?
Posted By: tesladan Re: Best DP for electric piano sounds - 06/06/19 11:17 PM
Budget is under $1000 as this is my first digital piano, planning on both online lessons as well as piano lessons @ Long and McQuade.

Just do not want to end up with absolute garbage and 88 keys seem to be recommended on music keyboard forums.
Need to find keyboard suited more for pop, rock instead of classical stuff

Dan
Posted By: anotherscott Re: Best DP for electric piano sounds - 06/06/19 11:37 PM
Budget is under $1000

Now that I know that you'll also probably want good organ, and that hammer action isn't a must, I'd probably go for the Numa Compact 2X. It's a decent MIDI controller too, so for the occasional sound where you can't quite get what you want out of it, you can integrate sounds from an iPad, iPhone, or iPod Touch. If you don't already have one of those, the Numa Compact 2X plus an iPod Touch, some apps, and the necessary connections would still be under $1000. It also happens to have speakers if you need them, though they aren't anything great. And it does happen to have 88 keys, though I wouldn't say that's essential in your situation, 7x would probably be fine.

Next clear step up for the task at hand would probably be Kurzweil SP6, but that would top $1,000. (And no speakers.)
Posted By: tesladan Re: Best DP for electric piano sounds - 06/07/19 12:26 AM
Based on the video links you added, it sounds like you need organ, which alters the equation. Nord Electro 6 has it, Crumar Seven does not. SV1 is very weak for organ.

Also noticed that the Roland RD800 and RD300 seems not available any more and no replacements

I think the RD2000 has all the sounds that were in the RD800. I don't put Roland on first tier for EPs. But it's also somewhat subjective, of course.

Not sure how important weighted keyboard is for popular & rock music.
It's a benefit for piano. It's a hindrance for organ.

One more question in addition to the ones I asked in my previous post... Is this just for home use, or do you envision possibly gigging? If the latter, is travel weight an issue?
[/quote]

Home use.

I guess I misunderstood what type of keyboards were being used.

in this video:

I noticed the the keyboards used were Roland RD600, Roland JUNO-D , and Nord Electro 3..... are these considered to be organs more than electric piano?

also this link for Pink Floyd - Shine On You Crazy Diamond
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QR-tC6L9zLg
player using Roland RD-300sx , is that using organ sounds then?

with these 2 links Roland was in all of them... so in todays market what is closest in Roland line up today?

Also found this Roland V-Combo VR-09 $1399.99 Cosmo music, bit more than I wanted to spend

Dan
Posted By: anotherscott Re: Best DP for electric piano sounds - 06/07/19 01:17 AM
I guess I misunderstood what type of keyboards were being used.

in this video:

I noticed the the keyboards used were Roland RD600, Roland JUNO-D , and Nord Electro 3..... are these considered to be organs more than electric piano?

All three are multi-function keyboards, they are each capable of piano sounds AND organ sounds AND synth sounds AND various other sounds. He is using each for what each does best (though sometimes that can be subjective, or either of two could have done something equally well). Preference could be based on sound, action, or available controls. I may have missed some, but basically here's how he is using them:

RD800: wurli, pianos, rhodes
Electro: mellotron, clav, hammond organ, brassy synth
Juno: brassy synth, vox organ, clav, synth, synth strings
Moog Little Phatty: lead synth

(...though you also can't rule out the possibility that he could have used MIDI to play--for example--a Nord piano sound from the RD800's action.)

I would not expect a single sub-$1000 keyboard to do everything as well as a $5000 combination of keyboards. I think the Kurz SP6 would probably come pretty close for this set of sounds, and the Numa still would be decent for most of it. Especially since, it being for home use, you also have the prospect of supplementing your sound library with additional sounds from your computer, if need be.

also this link for Pink Floyd - Shine On You Crazy Diamond
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QR-tC6L9zLg
player using Roland RD-300sx , is that using organ sounds then?

I didn't watch much of it, there may or may not be organ sounds in it. But regardless, at least some (and perhaps all) of the sounds are from his computer, not from the Roland (which he is using as a controller), which you can tell from the comments where he talks about using samples and VSTs.

with these 2 links Roland was in all of them

though not necessarily used very much. I think only pianos and EPs in the first one, and who knows what (if anything) in the second.
Posted By: Doug M. Re: Best DP for electric piano sounds - 06/09/19 10:25 AM
Yeah, there are only two synth sounds. The first sounds like the synth in the movie Clockwork Orange (Other patch 5) and the fat one is patch 6.

Actually, with the add-on soundpacks, I think there are a total of four synth sounds... 2 synth brass, one pad, and one lead.

But anyway, back to the MP7, I agree it's a great board, and when I had the MP7 and the SV1 next to each other, I was able to tweak/EQ some EP sounds to get them close to the SV1, but I still felt that the SV1 ultimately responded/played better. Plus the SV1 has all the dedicated real-time controls. Of course, the MP7 is a far more versatile board... unlike the SV1, it's a fully functional four zone MIDI controller, it has lots more sounds in it (including clonewheel organ), it does splits/layers, it has pitch and modulation controls, etc. And the EPs are indeed very good. But if you're talking strictly EPs/clav, I'd still have to give the edge to the Korg.

As for the Crumar, I haven't played it, but again, check to see if it has a strings sound.

Hi Anotherscott,

I think the Crumar is expensive compared to the SV1. New, the SV1 is £1,365 in the UK; whereas the Crumar is going for £1,710.

I expect the response on the SV-1 and Crumar Seven should be better than the MP7 in theory due to the sound being fully modelled.
The Crumar only has the amp simulator (no tube amp). Perhaps the SV-1 is the best in that respect.

So long as the OP doesn't transport the SV-1 vertically, the key issue should be fine. Also, the used market for the SV-1 exists, whereas the Crumar can only be purchased new. Should be able to pick up an SV-1 for less (black one going for £950 on ebay right now).

I wonder how the ep's compare between the SV-1 and the GrandStage or Kronos. I've never had them side-by-side.

Kind regards,

Doug.
Posted By: anotherscott Re: Best DP for electric piano sounds - 06/09/19 12:36 PM
I wonder how the ep's compare between the SV-1 and the GrandStage or Kronos. I've never had them side-by-side.

I like the Kronos EPs quite a bit, I'd rank them above any of the Yamahas or Rolands... though I still like SV1 better, and side by side I could not get a really SV1-like EP out of the Kronos. Grandstage uses the same EPs as Kronos. Vox Continental does as well, but adds a tube, so it might have the edge over the same EPs in the Kronos/Grandstage, though with a semi-weighted rather than hammer action. I haven't had a chance to play that one yet.

Getting back to the topic of best EPs overall, I forgot about third-party downloadables... I haven't tried this purgatory creek set but demos sound really good, versions are available for Kronos, Forte (so presumably also forthcoming PC4), Montage/MODX. (Can't load them into anything in the sub-$1k price range, though.)
© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums