Piano World Home Page

Ecstatic about my CLP-645 again!

Posted By: randymerk

Ecstatic about my CLP-645 again! - 05/24/19 06:53 PM

I recently had three keys on my Clavinova become very unregulated, so I had the technician come out. He said the sensors were the problem and he could tell I played it a lot, I guess from the wear on it. (heavy daily dose of Beethoven and Chopin, etc.). I've had the piano a little under two years. So he replaced quite a lot of sensors. They're in a strip of about six keys each I believe.
I couldn't believe what a difference it made, not just in the three keys I had called about, but the whole piano seems more evenly regulated and voiced. I didn't remember it ever sounding and playing that well. I literally couldn't stop playing it! I'd had it less than two years and who knows how long it was on the floor in the store before I got it. I told him this was my fourth Clavinova in more than 20 years and I'd never had a key do that before. He said since they went to three sensors instead of two it's been more of a problem.
Has anyone else had that kind of experience with your Clavinova or any digital piano?
Posted By: Jitin

Re: Ecstatic about my CLP-645 again! - 05/24/19 06:57 PM

no but it is interesting to know, as I have the same action in p515, how much did it cost you? Was it under warranty?

Re: Ecstatic about my CLP-645 again! - 05/24/19 07:01 PM

It was under warranty. I think all Clavinovas come with a five year warranty.
Posted By: MacMacMac

Re: Ecstatic about my CLP-645 again! - 05/25/19 12:50 AM

Regulation is covered under warranty? Nice.

What kind of work did he do?

Re: Ecstatic about my CLP-645 again! - 05/25/19 02:12 AM

He just replaced the sensor strips. There is no actual regulation work done as on an acoustic. I guess when the sensor strips are worn down in seems like it's unregulated.

Re: Ecstatic about my CLP-645 again! - 05/25/19 07:50 AM

Okay.
I saw that this is a CLP645 ... which has wooden keys ... which may require regulation.
But replacing sensor pads is not regulation.
Posted By: JoeT

Re: Ecstatic about my CLP-645 again! - 05/25/19 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by randymerk
He said since they went to three sensors instead of two it's been more of a problem.

Graphite-coated rubber strips wear out at some point (like in any TV remote), but the number of sensor contacts doesn't matter for that. It's more likes they simply became smaller with less contact surface.

Luckily these consumables aren't very expensive and easy to replace.

Re: Ecstatic about my CLP-645 again! - 05/25/19 11:27 AM

Actually you can expect failures sooner from three-contact sensors.
Failure of any one of the three will cause malfunction.
So ... in a 3-sensor model it's likely that one of three will fail sooner than one of two in a 2-sensor model.
© 2019 Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums