Piano World Home Page

For live performance of Bechstein - which one ?

Posted By: Chordo24

For live performance of Bechstein - which one ? - 05/17/19 07:27 PM

For live playing - which product is most recommendable to use in conjunction with my MP 11?

Thanks
Posted By: johnstaf

Re: For live performance of Bechstein - which one ? - 05/17/19 08:04 PM

The Bechstein Digital for KONTAKT sounds good, but is demanding in terms of computer resources. If you like Pianoteq, they have two. The recent one is one of their best instruments. They also have an 1899 Bechstein historical piano.
Posted By: Grazilerimba

Re: For live performance of Bechstein - which one ? - 05/18/19 09:25 AM

Agreed on the Bechstein Digital. Not only does it have excellent playability, but it also an official product from engineers at Bechstein themselves. Really well done. It doesn't have proper half pedaling support yet (I think) but it's one of the few pianos that don't have this and where I don't notice it too much when trying to play normally, so I feel like it's not much of a big deal. But as johnstaf said, you'll need a modern CPU to run it with all its bells and whistles. Without adequately configured resonance settings and without the proprietary EQ settings (forgot the exact name of it) it sounds rather bland to be honest. The good thing is, they keep working on it and updating it for free for all customers. Definitely worth it if you are after the Bechstein sound.
Posted By: minstrelman

Re: For live performance of Bechstein - which one ? - 05/19/19 03:23 AM

hey Grazilerimba, I think it has half pedal support.
here's the manual. read p.23:

https://www.bechstein-digital.com/files/Digital-Grand-Manual-EN-v12028.pdf

Re: For live performance of Bechstein - which one ? - 05/19/19 03:47 AM

I just found this:

https://www.bechstein-digital.com/digital-grand-questions/does-the-digital-grand-support-half-pedal/

Re: For live performance of Bechstein - which one ? - 05/19/19 12:54 PM

Hi, thank you for linking that. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that info does not say that half pedaling is supported, but rather that pedals are supported which transmit continuous information - and not only the "on-off" switch type pedals. It would be interesting to know if the half pedaling (as in, the playing technique) is also supported. I don't think it is.

Re: For live performance of Bechstein - which one ? - 05/19/19 02:33 PM

this says yes:

https://www.bechstein-digital.com/service/faq/#toggle-id-1

Re: For live performance of Bechstein - which one ? - 05/21/19 07:19 AM

Hi, I finally had the chance to play it again, and I stand corrected - it definitely does have half pedaling, and it seems to work fairly well. Definitely love this VST! Too bad my CPU isn't good enough for it. Can't wait to get a better computer some time and play more with this one.
Posted By: Alan LJ

Re: For live performance of Bechstein - which one ? - 05/21/19 01:56 PM

As great as the Bechstein Digital is, it's sadly an absolute CPU hog. I've yet to find another VST that is so taxing. I can't even play it on my i5 without it going crazy pretty fast ^^
© 2019 Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums