Piano World Home Page

Any other modelled piano software other than Pianoteq?

Posted By: Nordomus

Any other modelled piano software other than Pianoteq? - 04/14/19 01:00 PM

Everyone is pianoteq, pianoteq and again pianoteq but maybe somewhere there is hidden gem which is equaly good? Has anyone tested for example Arturia piano V?
https://youtu.be/y2F9YoxWE-0
Posted By: slobajudge

Re: Any other modelled piano software other than Pianoteq? - 04/14/19 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by Nordomus
Everyone is pianoteq, pianoteq and again pianoteq but maybe somewhere there is hidden gem which is equaly good? Has anyone tested for example Arturia piano V?
https://youtu.be/y2F9YoxWE-0

From day to day I was trying to love this piano but nothing, I don`t like it at least at the moment. For me Pianoteq is simply above.
Posted By: clothearednincompo

Re: Any other modelled piano software other than Pianoteq? - 04/14/19 02:08 PM

Yes, we've been following up the developement of Arturia Piano V:
http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2541358/arturia-releases-new-modeled-piano.html
http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2694951/arturia-releases-piano-v2.html
http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2697490/arturia-v2-piano.html
Posted By: Johnyw

Re: Any other modelled piano software other than Pianoteq? - 04/14/19 02:10 PM

Piano V2 is a lot better than v1, but I still prefer Pianoteq. I couldn't get the dynamics or velocity curve to sound right with my casio which didn't help. I heard some of the roland digitals have modelled sound too?

Re: Any other modelled piano software other than Pianoteq? - 04/14/19 02:13 PM

Yeah since about 3 years Roland has fully modelled pianos which have really good sound IMO. I'm interested in other pianos though. Are there only those 3? (Roland/Pianoteq/Arturia)
Posted By: CyberGene

Re: Any other modelled piano software other than Pianoteq? - 04/14/19 02:17 PM

There’s also the Physis piano. If you will allow a very militant hate speech for a moment, I find a similar synthetic quality persistent in all of them that’s not quite to my liking.
Posted By: Max_Forte

Re: Any other modelled piano software other than Pianoteq? - 04/14/19 02:20 PM

TruePianos
http://www.truepianos.com/
Posted By: MacMacMac

Re: Any other modelled piano software other than Pianoteq? - 04/14/19 03:09 PM

Regarding PT, me too. Which is why I'm going to try this Arturia demo. Fingers crossed.
Originally Posted by CyberGene
There’s also the Physis piano. If you will allow a very militant hate speech for a moment, I find a similar synthetic quality persistent in all of them that’s not quite to my liking.
Posted By: MacMacMac

Re: Any other modelled piano software other than Pianoteq? - 04/14/19 03:26 PM

I just looked at True Pianos. I tried that years ago. I did not like it. But I'll try the new version, too.

I needed something to do on a rainy Sunday afternoon. smile
Posted By: karvala

Re: Any other modelled piano software other than Pianoteq? - 04/14/19 03:30 PM

I just listened to the TruePianos demos; not at all convincing to me. I'm no fan of Pianoteq, but it seems way ahead of that.
Posted By: newer player

Re: Any other modelled piano software other than Pianoteq? - 04/14/19 03:51 PM

Well I'm not sure there has been much recent updating of TruePianos, although they do state it is compatible with Windows 10.

The manual is dated 2010 "v1.9.0 / 22.12.2010" and latest version is 1.9.5

http://www.truepianos.com/download/manual.pdf
http://truepianos.com/downloads.php
Posted By: Pete14

Re: Any other modelled piano software other than Pianoteq? - 04/14/19 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by Johnyw
Piano V2 is a lot better than v1, but I still prefer Pianoteq. I couldn't get the dynamics or velocity curve to sound right with my casio which didn't help. I heard some of the roland digitals have modelled sound too?

Is it fair to assume that V3 will be better than V2?
Posted By: thickfingers

Re: Any other modelled piano software other than Pianoteq? - 04/14/19 06:12 PM

No, it'll be worse. That's the way improvements work--they get ever crappier until they actually produce no sound at all. Completely silent, no matter how frantically you bash the keys.
Posted By: EPW

Re: Any other modelled piano software other than Pianoteq? - 04/14/19 06:23 PM

TruePianos has not been updated as been noted. I find it sits good in a mix. Not my choice for solo piano though.
Posted By: thickfingers

Re: Any other modelled piano software other than Pianoteq? - 04/15/19 09:29 AM

BTW I don't believe there's such a thing as a "momentary hate speech", as speeches tend to be longer. I suppose "hate sentence" would suffice, but not sure that the Establishment would try to use the term...bit too ridiculous, even for the sheeple. eek
Posted By: peterws

Re: Any other modelled piano software other than Pianoteq? - 04/15/19 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by thickfingers
No, it'll be worse. That's the way improvements work--they get ever crappier until they actually produce no sound at all. Completely silent, no matter how frantically you bash the keys.

Good perception! But it might be a perception on ageing, not DP manufacturing. . . . sorry to be the first to say this . . . frown But they tell me Specsavers are very helpful.
Posted By: puremusic

Re: Any other modelled piano software other than Pianoteq? - 04/15/19 11:12 AM

Unlike most folks here, I'm not a Pianoteq fan, I don't like the tone of the resonance it comes with.

Arturia's Piano V on the other hand is right up at the top for me, surprisingly, since it's modeled and yet has a beautiful tone as if it were a sample library. Flexibility and beautiful tone at once is a rare combination.
Posted By: nicknameTaken

Re: Any other modelled piano software other than Pianoteq? - 04/15/19 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by puremusic
Unlike most folks here, I'm not a Pianoteq fan, I don't like the tone of the resonance it comes with.

Arturia's Piano V on the other hand is right up at the top for me, surprisingly, since it's modeled and yet has a beautiful tone as if it were a sample library. Flexibility and beautiful tone at once is a rare combination.

Weird. I tried Arturia and went back to PianoTeq smile
It must really depend on what you are about to play.
Right now I use PianoTeq and The Grandeur.

Re: Any other modelled piano software other than Pianoteq? - 04/15/19 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by nicknameTaken

Grandeur? Is that a piano within Pianoteq? BTW I've liked Blutner most from Pianoteq.
Posted By: nicknameTaken

Re: Any other modelled piano software other than Pianoteq? - 04/15/19 04:03 PM

No, it's a sampled piano from native instruments.
Posted By: joflah

Re: Any other modelled piano software other than Pianoteq? - 04/15/19 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by thickfingers

How is that not an improvement?
Posted By: Ojustaboo

Re: Any other modelled piano software other than Pianoteq? - 04/15/19 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by puremusic

This is going to sound very stupid.

I’m heavily into synths as well as piano, and own a load of various synth software, including the Arturia V Collection.

Since owning it, I’ve been playing with 3 synths mainly. I never gave the piano a seconds thought, presuming it was a software version of a DP from the same era as the synths. Never realised it was modelled.

Will be giving it a try tomorrow

Re: Any other modelled piano software other than Pianoteq? - 04/16/19 12:52 AM

Lol. You went the opposite route I went. I actually forget about the other stuff in the Arturia Collection besides the piano -- and the CS80. Can't forget about that.

I always intend to work with the synths more and experiment with them but never get around to it. That's why I skipped upgrading to Collection VI from V, and just paid a small fee to upgrade to Piano V2. I'll probably get Collection VII though whenever it comes out.

Be sure to check out more than the first preset. There're a lot of different presets and settings.

Re: Any other modelled piano software other than Pianoteq? - 04/16/19 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by nicknameTaken

Weird. I tried Arturia and went back to PianoTeq smile
It must really depend on what you are about to play.

Yes, different styles of music. When other people play Pianoteq and do little recordings with it, it sounds better than when I try to use it.
Posted By: Beakybird

Re: Any other modelled piano software other than Pianoteq? - 04/16/19 01:45 AM

I gave Arturia Piano V2 the edge over Pianoteq until Pianoteq 6 came out. Now I don't use Arturia at all, but I'll be eager to hear and probably buy their next update. I'm not interested in vintage synths.

Pianoteq is pretty damn good IMO.
© 2019 Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums