Piano World Home Page
Posted By: DPAfficionado Roland HP702 and HP704 - 04/10/19 08:37 PM
Seems an interesting upgrade to the HP60n series.

https://www.roland.com/global/products/hp700_series/
Posted By: PianoStartsAt33 Re: Roland HP702 and HP704 - 04/10/19 08:58 PM
Hmm... I supposed they'd put PureAcoustic technology in new HPs, but it's still on SuperNatural.
Posted By: Kougeru Re: Roland HP702 and HP704 - 04/10/19 10:19 PM
Honestly looks like a downgrade on the 702 and a "more of the same" on the 704. The HP702 has PHA-4. Which is WORSE than what the even HP601 had .Both the 702 and 704 have the old SuperNatural Modeling, so not an upgrade at all from the 603 and 605. I really don't see the point of these models unless you're upgrading from several generations ago or have no piano right now. And I doubt they'll be any more affordable (in the United States) compared to the LX...considering the fact that several places I've checked sell the HP605 for the exact same price as the LX 705 lol. I'm really disappointed. The HP603 and 605 seemed to be identical to the LX7/LX17 except for their speakers. This time the differences between the HP700 and LX700 series are pretty massive.
Posted By: Kawai James Re: Roland HP702 and HP704 - 04/11/19 12:25 AM
Absolutely stunning promo video.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: LarryK Re: Roland HP702 and HP704 - 04/11/19 12:49 AM
Originally Posted by Kawai James
Absolutely stunning promo video.

[Linked Image]

The trouble with using that clapping GIF is that it is Charles Foster Kane defiantly clapping for his wife, who is the world’s worst opera singer, from the movie Citizen Kane. Charlie builds her an opera house so she has some place to sing because nobody else will hire her. So, I don’t know whether your clapping is sincere or not.
Posted By: Kawai James Re: Roland HP702 and HP704 - 04/11/19 01:29 AM
The gif shows a man clapping - a universal sign of appreciation.

The context of this particular scene in the film is irrelevant.
Posted By: LarryK Re: Roland HP702 and HP704 - 04/11/19 02:26 AM
Originally Posted by Kawai James
The gif shows a man clapping - a universal sign of appreciation.

The context of this particular scene in the film is irrelevant.

I disagree, that shot carries its context with it, and it matters. I took it that you were clapping out of spite.

This kind of reminds me of the Nike commercial where they used an African tribesmen holding up a shoe and saying something in his native tongue. Nike didn’t know what he was saying and didn’t care. An expert in African languages figured out that he was saying: “I don’t want this one.”
Posted By: LarryK Re: Roland HP702 and HP704 - 04/11/19 02:38 AM
Furthermore, why must great films be chopped up into little bits and destroyed in this way?
Posted By: Kawai James Re: Roland HP702 and HP704 - 04/11/19 02:46 AM
Originally Posted by LarryK
I took it that you were clapping out of spite.

Well, that wasn't my intention - as indicated by the "absolutely stunning promo video" line of my post.

Anyway, about those new Rolands...
Posted By: Nordomus Re: Roland HP702 and HP704 - 04/11/19 05:49 AM
I'm sorry but this is bad, why would they put very old bad keyboard in any new model? On top of that no pure acoustic modelling? I'm guessing they had a bit of old parts left in warehouses to use so they are using them smile
I wouldn't recommend those models to anyone, maybe HP704 if the price is adequate.
As for video it's pretty nice as advertisement although it shows almost nothing, hopefully they will make more informative ones.
Posted By: peterws Re: Roland HP702 and HP704 - 04/11/19 06:03 AM
They need to fill in that gap on the backboard. Spoils everything.
Posted By: Electro5 Re: Roland HP702 and HP704 - 04/11/19 03:49 PM
The difference upgrades between the HP601 and HP702 are the sound, from Supernatural to Supernatural Modelling. There is also the newer design, interface and compatibility with Piano a Every Day app.

You are right, if you want PHA50 you have to go up to the HP704. I checked with a few stores and the HP605 is discontinued (they can’t get hold of any more) and has been replaced by the LX705, so I’m surprised that stores close to you are pricing these models the same.

Posted By: Kougeru Re: Roland HP702 and HP704 - 04/12/19 07:05 AM
The HP 601 was a "class" lower than the 603/605 from what I was told by the dealership. That's why it was released much later. The 702/704 seem to be replacing the HP603/605. Comparing that same "class" then, the HP702 is like a 603 with worse action. That may be why it's a "02" instead of an "03". Better than 601 but worse than 603? "Newer design" is a minor difference, as is the app most people wouldn't use. I've heard the HP605 was "discontinued" fairly often for a good while now but my local store never seems to be low on them. I don't know how many they have in "the back" so maybe they've just been sitting on a lot. But other stores I called within the state (and the next state over) don't seem to have issues stocking them either. Either way, the fact that the old model is being priced at the SAME price as the LX705 (I have a photo if you don't believe me, PM if you want to see the BS), ESPECIALLY if it's "Discontinued" pretty much confirms the HP702/704 will be priced insanely high here as well. Sorry I sound so negative. I just expected a lot more with how expensive these will be (here). I really expected them to follow the path they had last time where the HP 603/605 had the same sound engine AND action has the LXs. Having speaker/cabinet be the only difference was a fantastic way to do things and I had a lot of respect for Roland for doing that with the last generation. Anyway, I love the new engine the LX series has. Looks I'll keep saving up for the overpriced 705
Posted By: peterws Re: Roland HP702 and HP704 - 04/12/19 11:40 AM
If you want the PHA50 keyboard, the HP601 is the cheapest console model that has it; it was selling at a bargain price, but I bet it ain't now!
Posted By: Electro5 Re: Roland HP702 and HP704 - 04/15/19 07:52 PM
Nice video by Tony at Bonners Music - HP702 and HP704 buyers guide
Posted By: EPW Re: Roland HP702 and HP704 - 04/16/19 03:31 AM
Okay why in *** name will these pianos be so expensive in the USA. Even the LX705 is over-priced. This is going to be directed at MacMacMac, I don't care about that you make an offer. I only have one Roland Dealer that is 15 miles away and the other three are in surrounding States. In the UK the LX705 is going for £2,109.00. Exchange rate of 1.4 would put the price at still under $3000.00 I got quoted at the $3799. Really I'll pass at my local dealer
Really? Roland in the USA needs to address this. The USA pricing is out of whack. The LX704 at Bonner's Music is listed at £1,759.00 so at exchange rate of 1.5 (the current exchange rate is 1.31) the piano would be under $2700.00. Nope, my local dealer quoted me $3400.00 is the best price they could do.

I really don't like that Roland in the USA tries to hide the prices of the HP and LX models. Even in PianoBuyer Roland prices are basically MRSP.

Rant off guys and girls frown
Posted By: Tyrone Slothrop Re: Roland HP702 and HP704 - 04/16/19 06:07 AM
Originally Posted by EPW
Okay why in *** name will these pianos be so expensive in the USA. Even the LX705 is over-priced. This is going to be directed at MacMacMac, I don't care about that you make an offer. I only have one Roland Dealer that is 15 miles away and the other three are in surrounding States. In the UK the LX705 is going for £2,109.00. Exchange rate of 1.4 would put the price at still under $3000.00 I got quoted at the $3799. Really I'll pass at my local dealer
Really? Roland in the USA needs to address this. The USA pricing is out of whack. The LX704 at Bonner's Music is listed at £1,759.00 so at exchange rate of 1.5 (the current exchange rate is 1.31) the piano would be under $2700.00. Nope, my local dealer quoted me $3400.00 is the best price they could do.

I really don't like that Roland in the USA tries to hide the prices of the HP and LX models. Even in PianoBuyer Roland prices are basically MRSP.

Rant off guys and girls frown

EPW, This is the main reason I decided it was crazy for me to buy an LX706/LX708. After taxes, it was almost twice as expensive here in Washington DC as if I were to buy it in Germany. Yet the comparable CA78/CA98 were not the same. This meant that in the US, the CA98 was a lot less expensive than the LX708, which should be its competitor. I think this pricing is just completely broken for Roland.
Posted By: pengi Re: Roland HP702 and HP704 - 04/16/19 08:14 AM
I was looking forward to buy the roland lx705 at the end of the year. I was sceptical at first about the hp704, but I am not so sure anymore. Regarding the difference between those two models I found only, the hp704 has older supernatural piano modeling and the lx705 has the newer pureacoustic modeling. There are 4 speakers with 60W output and the keyboard is also the same PHA50. I tried the lx705 in the shop and I liked it quite a bit, but the HP704 is 400 euros cheaper. Are there any other major differences between those two model except the modeling. If this is true 400 euros to spare isn't that bad.
Posted By: tudor33sud Re: Roland HP702 and HP704 - 04/16/19 08:52 AM
Originally Posted by pengi
I was looking forward to buy the roland lx705 at the end of the year. I was sceptical at first about the hp704, but I am not so sure anymore. Regarding the difference between those two models I found only, the hp704 has older supernatural piano modeling and the lx705 has the newer pureacoustic modeling. There are 4 speakers with 60W output and the keyboard is also the same PHA50. I tried the lx705 in the shop and I liked it quite a bit, but the HP704 is 400 euros cheaper. Are there any other major differences between those two model except the modeling. If this is true 400 euros to spare isn't that bad.

I strongly suggest that you try them side by side. 400 euros difference means totally different sound engines, so probably you'll need to see which one you like the best
Posted By: tudor33sud Re: Roland HP702 and HP704 - 04/16/19 09:06 AM
Originally Posted by tudor33sud

I strongly suggest that you try them side by side. 400 euros difference means totally different sound engines, so probably you'll need to see which one you like the best

Also, my 2 cents on this to help you make up your mind, I have a song which I recorded both in the new and previous sound engine. Maybe it will help you a little bit to get a grasp into how good recordings at least are. Perosnal oppinion: pure acoustic ambience on the newer model really makes a difference as far as the tone goes, and this is really visible given the 2 recordings that you re about to see.

Roland HP605(supernatural piano modeling)

Roland LX7xx (pure acoustic modeling + stone hall ambience) Audio Link
Posted By: pengi Re: Roland HP702 and HP704 - 04/16/19 01:30 PM

Thank you very much for the comparison. From your recordings I guess I prefer the pureacoustic. But when my shop gets the HP704, I will try that as well. But so far I am leaning towards LX705
Posted By: tudor33sud Re: Roland HP702 and HP704 - 04/16/19 02:09 PM

Thank you very much for the comparison. From your recordings I guess I prefer the pureacoustic. But when my shop gets the HP704, I will try that as well. But so far I am leaning towards LX705

Since you said you could spare 400 euros happily, I guess Roland LX705 it's at the top of your allocated budget for the piano. However, if you are a patient person and not in a rush to get the piano, I will like to let you know something else that I found useful for me. Instead of the sound engines, I strongly suggest to try and save a little bit more for a 706. The reason for that is the action, which I find it to be such a breeze to be controlled and so even throughout the length of the key. Don't forget to try it, and again, it's just a personal experience which may be as useful for you. Happy shopping for your new piano smile
Posted By: pengi Re: Roland HP702 and HP704 - 04/16/19 02:23 PM

Since you said you could spare 400 euros happily, I guess Roland LX705 it's at the top of your allocated budget for the piano. However, if you are a patient person and not in a rush to get the piano, I will like to let you know something else that I found useful for me. Instead of the sound engines, I strongly suggest to try and save a little bit more for a 706. The reason for that is the action, which I find it to be such a breeze to be controlled and so even throughout the length of the key. Don't forget to try it, and again, it's just a personal experience which may be as useful for you. Happy shopping for your new piano smile

Of course I looked at the lx706, but the nearest place I could find which has it is 450km away. I told myself, that I am a beginner and I won't spend more than 2000 euros for my first digital.
Regarding the LX705, I spoke to the sales person and he offered me the piano for 2150 euro (otherwise 2400). LX706 is 3300 euros and therefore a huge price increase which I am not willing to pay, otherwise my family won't be able to eat dinner a few times smile
Posted By: tudor33sud Re: Roland HP702 and HP704 - 04/16/19 02:37 PM

Of course I looked at the lx706, but the nearest place I could find which has it is 450km away. I told myself, that I am a beginner and I won't spend more than 2000 euros for my first digital.
Regarding the LX705, I spoke to the sales person and he offered me the piano for 2150 euro (otherwise 2400). LX706 is 3300 euros and therefore a huge price increase which I am not willing to pay, otherwise my family won't be able to eat dinner a few times smile

That's great! It seems you figured it out beforehand, and totally makes sense to stick with LX705. As a beginner, I remember that I started with a used Yamaha p-80 bought by my parents, so you're already a lucky man! laugh I'm sure you'll enjoy it a lot
Posted By: EPW Re: Roland HP702 and HP704 - 04/16/19 03:29 PM
My problem is the HP704 cabinet would be a better fit but I liked the LX705 new sound engine ;(
It is that the HP704 shouldn't cost that much in the USA. I can justify the LX705 cost but never the LX706 cost. For that price I would rather have the Kawai CA98 with the soundboard.
Posted By: pengi Re: Roland HP702 and HP704 - 04/16/19 03:53 PM

That's great! It seems you figured it out beforehand, and totally makes sense to stick with LX705. As a beginner, I remember that I started with a used Yamaha p-80 bought by my parents, so you're already a lucky man! laugh I'm sure you'll enjoy it a lot

Yeah I am considering the lx705 a huge upgrade over my current Yamaha PSR E363 smile But I will have to wait couple of months before I can buy it.
Posted By: Nordomus Re: Roland HP702 and HP704 - 04/16/19 04:40 PM
Originally Posted by EPW
My problem is the HP704 cabinet would be a better fit but I liked the LX705 new sound engine ;(
It is that the HP704 shouldn't cost that much in the USA. I can justify the LX705 cost but never the LX706 cost. For that price I would rather have the Kawai CA98 with the soundboard.

Maybe but Roland still holds out pretty nicely with their biggest woofers in digital pianos, and sound engine is great. Although it's true that this CA98 soundboard is awesome and can't be easily replaced by speaker system.
Posted By: EPW Re: Roland HP702 and HP704 - 04/16/19 05:23 PM
Originally Posted by Nordomus
Originally Posted by EPW

Maybe but Roland still holds out pretty nicely with their biggest woofers in digital pianos, and sound engine is great. Although it's true that this CA98 soundboard is awesome and can't be easily replaced by speaker system.

True Roland does have nice big speakers on their higher end models. My gripe is the great disparity from European prices to USA prices. Sure a little price hike I understand but not what I was quoted. Plus I don't like that
Roland-USA hides prices from consumers!
Posted By: VMK Re: Roland HP702 and HP704 - 04/21/19 08:24 PM
Hi everyone...

Im interested to know if there are any reasonable updates from hp 603 to hp 704.

Cheers
Posted By: tudor33sud Re: Roland HP702 and HP704 - 04/22/19 07:11 AM
Originally Posted by VMK
Hi everyone...

Im interested to know if there are any reasonable updates from hp 603 to hp 704.

Cheers

I don't think so ! It uses same PHA-50 action, same sound engine, so probably you may be getting some new finish and the new panel, that would be all. The only difference seems to be that HP704 is priced slightly lower than HP-605 was, so you gain in this aspect at least.

However, I noticed this for all their lineup of 7xx series this Year, even the LX708 was cheaper than LX17.
Posted By: DPAfficionado Re: Roland HP702 and HP704 - 04/22/19 03:26 PM
Today I played the HP704 and the HP605 side by side. I liked the sound of the HP 704 much more than that of HP 605. The sound from HP 605 speakers sounded thinner while the sound from the HP 704 felt more evolving of "full". Both pianos were at the same volume level (90) and had a factory reset. I find the form factor of the HP704 (fallboard that covers the buttons) + place of the music stand more convenient than those of the LX series. I would like to test the HP side by side with a new LX but there is no store in my country that stocks both.
Posted By: Jlovespiano Re: Roland HP702 and HP704 - 04/30/19 06:13 PM

Also, my 2 cents on this to help you make up your mind, I have a song which I recorded both in the new and previous sound engine. Maybe it will help you a little bit to get a grasp into how good recordings at least are. Perosnal oppinion: pure acoustic ambience on the newer model really makes a difference as far as the tone goes, and this is really visible given the 2 recordings that you re about to see.

I would love to hear what you recorded on the lx708 with lakeside stage ambience
Posted By: tudor33sud Re: Roland HP702 and HP704 - 04/30/19 09:16 PM
Originally Posted by Jitin

I would love to hear what you recorded on the lx708 with lakeside stage ambience

Of course! I will do it these days and post it here! Currently I’M still enjoying Easter Holidays smile
Posted By: Kougeru Re: Roland HP702 and HP704 - 05/02/19 02:44 AM
Lol all my local stores are selling 704 for the same as the 605 which they're selling for the same price as the 705. If Roland would list MSRP on their site it would help a bit because I'm pretty sure they're asking well above what they should be. Such a shame. I love Roland but local stores are completely insane so it doesn't seem like I'll own a cabinet style Roland unless I drive a few hundred miles.
Posted By: tudor33sud Re: Roland HP702 and HP704 - 05/02/19 06:50 PM

Hi Jitin,

I managed to quickly record the piece using lake side studio settings. Note that I didn't find an option to record directly from my stage function (you cannot go from recording screen to that particular menu for some reason ). However, when you select lake side studio, it actually shows you that the ambience used is Studio with depth 2, and this is what I did. Let me know if you like it better, and sorry for any mistake.
Lake Side Studio Ambience
Posted By: tudor33sud Re: Roland HP702 and HP704 - 05/03/19 11:34 AM

I managed to quickly record the piece using lake side studio settings. Note that I didn't find an option to record directly from my stage function (you cannot go from recording screen to that particular menu for some reason ). However, when you select lake side studio, it actually shows you that the ambience used is Studio with depth 2, and this is what I did. Let me know if you like it better, and sorry for any mistake.
Lake Side Studio Ambience

Sorry,
it seems like I've mistaken the link. Here's the fixed one which should work: Lake Side Studio Ambience sound
Posted By: Jlovespiano Re: Roland HP702 and HP704 - 05/03/19 01:18 PM
it sounds really NICE! though I couldn't tell the difference in your previous recording so much.

I must say, its really quite improvement in Roland Sounds.

I still think Yamaha is my favorite, but kudos to Roland.
Posted By: Jlovespiano Re: Roland HP702 and HP704 - 05/03/19 01:38 PM
Originally Posted by Kougeru
Lol all my local stores are selling 704 for the same as the 605 which they're selling for the same price as the 705. If Roland would list MSRP on their site it would help a bit because I'm pretty sure they're asking well above what they should be. Such a shame. I love Roland but local stores are completely insane so it doesn't seem like I'll own a cabinet style Roland unless I drive a few hundred miles.

Do you recall how much they are selling lx705 and lx706 for in these stores you went too?
Posted By: Tyrone Slothrop Re: Roland HP702 and HP704 - 05/03/19 01:49 PM
I love Roland but local stores are completely insane so it doesn't seem like I'll own a cabinet style Roland unless I drive a few hundred miles.

Here in Washington DC, it is cheaper to buy a true hybrid with authentic grand piano action (Yamaha N1X) than a Roland LX708 with a digital piano action. BTW, both of these are in the same piano store for me, and the LX708 with a digital piano action is more expensive than the true hybrid. I don't understand why Roland prices the way it does.
Posted By: Jlovespiano Re: Roland HP702 and HP704 - 05/03/19 02:04 PM
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
I love Roland but local stores are completely insane so it doesn't seem like I'll own a cabinet style Roland unless I drive a few hundred miles.

Here in Washington DC, it is cheaper to buy a true hybrid with authentic grand piano action (Yamaha N1X) than a Roland LX708 with a digital piano action. BTW, both of these are in the same piano store for me, and the LX708 with a digital piano action is more expensive than the true hybrid. I don't understand why Roland prices the way it does.

I couldn't justify spending more than 3 grand or maybe 3500 on these types of digitals
Posted By: Tyrone Slothrop Re: Roland HP702 and HP704 - 05/03/19 02:24 PM

I couldn't justify spending more than 3 grand or maybe 3500 on these types of digitals

Which is why I'm going to buy a hybrid instead of something with a digital action. At the end of the day, a digital action is a digital action, it seems to me. I already have a $600 digital action. That's enough for me. My next piano in a few weeks will be a hybrid grand with an acoustical action.
Posted By: Jlovespiano Re: Roland HP702 and HP704 - 05/03/19 02:29 PM

Which is why I'm going to buy a hybrid instead of something with a digital action. At the end of the day, a digital action is a digital action, it seems to me. I already have a $600 digital action. That's enough for me. My next piano in a few weeks will be a hybrid grand with an acoustical action.

It gets tricky, because hybrids are close to ten grand, then its like do I get a hybrid or a nice upright (the REAL THING)?
Posted By: Tyrone Slothrop Re: Roland HP702 and HP704 - 05/03/19 03:08 PM
It gets tricky, because hybrids are close to ten grand, then its like do I get a hybrid or a nice upright (the REAL THING)?

Well, I personally would never get a hybrid, only an acoustical grand, but no sense in relitigating that - you already had a long thread on that topic.

In general, whether or not one gets an acoustical grand though depends on one's home. My home can't accommodate it and I'm not convinced the silent feature, which I would use more than the strings, is as good as the sound system in a good hybrid. Maybe Yamaha will eventually put their TransAcoustic technology on one of their grand pianos. That, I would definitely consider, as long as I have the space for it.
Posted By: peterws Re: Roland HP702 and HP704 - 05/03/19 03:57 PM

Well, I personally would never get a hybrid, only an acoustical grand, but no sense in relitigating that - you already had a long thread on that topic.

In general, whether or not one gets an acoustical grand though depends on one's home. My home can't accommodate it and I'm not convinced the silent feature, which I would use more than the strings, is as good as the sound system in a good hybrid. Maybe Yamaha will eventually put their TransAcoustic technology on one of their grand pianos. That, I would definitely consider, as long as I have the space for it.

Now, if they'd fit the Transacoustic properties into a HP 702/4, this thread could run forever. And the end result would look much better.
Posted By: tudor33sud Re: Roland HP702 and HP704 - 05/03/19 03:58 PM

You re totally right! Where I live, I spent like 3400 euros for LX708 non polished. However, before LX708 upgrade I was convinced I would buy a hybrid since decent grands like Yamaha CX line were waay too pricey! I was on my way of testing a Feurich 133, but then I got the chance of testing an expensive august forster upright and also a Petrof top of the line. Then, I just realised, you either like upright sounds, or you go with concert grand digital ( or acoustic grand if you can afford it ). After getting used to grand piano sounds, for me the upright sounded too thin, and expression differences were way too subtle.

Disclaimer: I played a Yamaha C1X and that s what i call a nice grand to use for home. The sound of a grand is just uncontested. I hope to afford one once. smile
Posted By: Jlovespiano Re: Roland HP702 and HP704 - 05/03/19 04:10 PM
I don’t have that much experience with uprights I have played a few. Couple years ago I was at a piano shop and tried various grands and uprights and digitalis for a couple hours I do remember preferring digital uprights over real uprights , but it’s hard to say, because later I went to a shop to try kawai digital and I preferred this used Baldwin upright, though the action was not good , I liked the sound more than ca78/98...not the action
It was just soo much alive, it was incredible- the resonances

I want to try a yus5 or kawai k500, in good condition ,
My only worry is the maintenance and what if it gets damaged bec bad technician or some random event argh 😤 it’s like an added worry like tunning pin breaks or soundboard crack etc

With digital just one every 8 to ten years and even if it damaged It s like having an expensive tv get damaged albeit TVs are cheaper, it wouldn’t be that
I do like a life that is carefree...
Posted By: Mickey_ Re: Roland HP702 and HP704 - 01/30/21 02:29 PM
Here's a brand-new ("sales") review of the Roland HP704, from Merriam Music (Stu Harrison):

(I was very close to buying this model, in fact, I had already ordered it. However...)
Posted By: brennbaer Re: Roland HP702 and HP704 - 01/30/21 05:59 PM
However...?!?
Posted By: GalicianLeo Re: Roland HP702 and HP704 - 01/30/21 06:06 PM
I was trying the HP-704 two weeks ago. I liked a lot the PHA-50, the controls, the cabinet design and the possibilities of customization of the sound using the supernatural model. But I did't like the piano sound at all. I tried very hard to like it, because the price in Spain is ok, but I couldn't. I prefer Kawai's sound much more.
Posted By: Mickey_ Re: Roland HP702 and HP704 - 01/30/21 07:33 PM
Originally Posted by brennbaer
However...?!?

...I went with the NV10. :-) But unfortunately, we are going to part ways soon; the thumping noise of the hammers is just too loud in my wife's ears (literally).
Posted By: Thair Re: Roland HP702 and HP704 - 02/03/21 05:17 PM
Hey guys, thought I would give you my thoughts on the piano after owning it for more than a year now! I am not an experienced but also not a beginner:

So there is so much to like about the HP-704 and one thing to be careful about and that is the sound!

The keyboard action is fairly good, the sound is very loud and crispy so the speakers are amazing, the pedals are really good, 10 years warranty and a premium nice looking piano, I like the modern design and the protective slide...
It's just that digital sound of modeling technology Roland is using, not for everyone, you can tweak it for a degree to your liking but only to an extent, I myself used to like Roland's digital warm feel in general for example I really like the sound of my previous FP-30 but it has been taken too far with this new technology making it too metallic and digital that I am thinking of replacing it in the near future!!!
Posted By: iliverez Re: Roland HP702 and HP704 - 02/04/21 10:38 AM
I received my HP 704DR on Monday. I bought it blindly, since I could not find any for months to try. I had tried the Yamahas 735 and 775 and decided to change route and bet on the Roland. Fast forward 3 months waiting for the piano to arrive and here we are.

I 've spent some hours on it so far, and I am really happy. The piano sound is decent (a digital one, but decent). It will improve as soon as the speakers get to work a bit (I mostly use headphones). But what is very important for me is how much the reproduced sound feels connected to how the keys are pressed, and in that area it's absolutely excellent. At least for me, a beginner. Rest of the sounds apart from a couple of electric pianos and strings, are nothing special.

The headphone amplifier is adequate, but like the Yamahas, I think it could be better. I 'll try to use an external amplifier in the near future just to compare.

The PHA-50 action, I simply love it. In terms of weight, it sits in the middle of most acoustics I have tried so far, neither too soft, neither too hard. It feels really nice when pressing/releasing or stopping the returning key.

Build quality is top and it looks stunning! It just invites me to play, but I have to wait until the kids get to bed, so it's either late at night or early in the morning.

A couple of pictures below (have to take some better shots):

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: lvercaut Re: Roland HP702 and HP704 - 02/04/21 04:23 PM
Very nice ! Price/quality HP-704 is the best of the whole Roland range.
Posted By: Osho Re: Roland HP702 and HP704 - 02/04/21 05:38 PM
Your piano place looks very inviting and inspiring to play! Congratulations on your new piano!!

Osho
Posted By: EPW Re: Roland HP702 and HP704 - 02/04/21 06:48 PM
Be careful doing runs up the keyboard, you might whack your hand on the book shelf wink

Nice set up smile
Posted By: iliverez Re: Roland HP702 and HP704 - 02/05/21 08:01 AM
Thank you for the kind words. The place is usually full of kids toys, but even so, yes it is inspiring! Or so excited I am! Now if only the day was longer than 24h....

A small update: Playing yesterday night and today early in the morning, I think now that the headphones amp is just fine. Sounded a bit dull in the beginning, but now the sound has opened up.

@EPW No worries about injuring my hand in the book shelf. I 've started playing/studying piano less than 4 months ago. My runs are actually like walking in slow motion, so I guess I 'll have to wait a couple of years before starting to take that into consideration laugh
Posted By: Mickey_ Re: Roland HP702 and HP704 - 02/05/21 07:16 PM
Originally Posted by iliverez
Thank you for the kind words. The place is usually full of kids toys, but even so, yes it is inspiring!

Regarding toys, iliverez: Don't get me started... See here what solution I came up with! :-)

On topic: I, too, find this piano very inviting. It's a beautiful model!

Stu Harrison from Merriam Music, by the way, just made a comparison video of the HP704 and the DP603:

Posted By: iliverez Re: Roland HP702 and HP704 - 02/08/21 08:46 AM
Mickey_, when I saw your photo my first reaction was: This is extreme. But then in the evening when both my kids were running with a toy stroller and a big toy truck towards the piano, I thought "well, not so extreme actually!" But I can't do something like that. I am really short on space. So I have accepted the inevitable. I know it will get scratches and scuffs, hopefully not many. I use toy boxes or whatever other to protect the sensitive equipment with perfect results with my son and partial success with my daughter. She has already managed to trash the turntable cartridge once!

The normal life picture is like that...well... after the kids have fallen asleep. Definitely, not as effective as your solution! laugh
By the way, are those photography lights in your photo?

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Mickey_ Re: Roland HP702 and HP704 - 02/08/21 09:07 AM
I am really short on space. So I have accepted the inevitable. I know it will get scratches and scuffs, hopefully not many. I use toy boxes or whatever other to protect the sensitive equipment with perfect results with my son and partial success with my daughter. She has already managed to trash the turntable cartridge once!

Hey, that's a nice solution too, iliverez! :-)

By the way, are those photography lights in your photo?

Yes, they are. You know, I started taking Hugh Sung's online course last year, and there, one can, or rather: should, upload one's piano performances for a teacher's review. However, the lighting situation at our house is very bad, so I, unfortunately, have to work with extra lights (just for filming, though).
Posted By: Luna29 Re: Roland HP702 and HP704 - 02/23/21 07:45 PM
Hi there!

I wanted to bump this thread on the HP601 vs HP702 comments. I have tracked down an unused HP601 for $1,300 (sat in inventory), and am struggling between going for that and springing for the HP702 at $2,200 -- and if it's really worth the extra $900 given the pros/cons.

From what I can tell:

HP601
Pros: PHA-50 Action, price
Cons: Sample sound, older model (? not sure if this really matters since it isn't used)

HP702
Pros: Nicer cabinet, Supernatural modeling sound (although some seem to prefer the sample sound)
Cons: PHA-4 Action, price

For background, I am a relative beginner - so perhaps I would not notice the difference in action?

Would love anyone's POV!
© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums