Piano World Home Page

Yamaha GranTouch DGT2A values

Posted By: Patrick015

Yamaha GranTouch DGT2A values - 01/24/19 12:56 PM

How can I establish a rough price for a second hand black baby grand Yamaha GranTouch 2002 make, Japan.
Ive not come across any for sale so its impossible to estimate, although Im told that it cost around £2000 when new.

Its in good condition as far as I can tell,but Ive not yet tested the MIDI device to check if its ok.

Piano works fine but hasn't been serviced in years.

Any advice welcome.

Patrick015
Posted By: JoBert

Re: Yamaha GranTouch DGT2A values - 01/24/19 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by Patrick015
although Im told that it cost around £2000 when new.

I doubt that it was so cheap when new.
Posted By: Gombessa

Re: Yamaha GranTouch DGT2A values - 01/24/19 01:53 PM

You can check completed listings on eBay to get a rough idea.

Since the GranTouch had a real grand action, if it works it should still be worth something. I've seen used listings for well over $2k (closer to $3-4k) but no idea if they've sold.

Re: Yamaha GranTouch DGT2A values - 01/25/19 05:34 PM

I suspect that it was sold at a big discount and the shop in question has since gone bust!

Re: Yamaha GranTouch DGT2A values - 01/25/19 05:39 PM

So, it's a niche product to be sure. Not many people will be familiar with a "Yamaha GranTouch." But it has a lot going for it, from a real grand action to optical contactless sensors. Between the different GranTouch versions, I would actually put it up for between $2000-3000 USD as a start, to see if anyone bites. That's under the going price for a used AvantGrand N1 (which I imagine is the GranTouch's main competition) and someone who knows what it's about may want it for its value as a MIDI controller...If that doesn't work, anything over $1000-1500 is a win. It's a heavy unit and really needs true piano movers to ship it to its destination.

Re: Yamaha GranTouch DGT2A values - 01/25/19 05:46 PM

That's very helpful info, I had in mind a price of around $3000.
Posted By: karvala

Re: Yamaha GranTouch DGT2A values - 01/25/19 11:21 PM

32-note stereo polyphony would be a deal-breaker for me. That and 2002 sounds, and I honestly wouldn't even pay $1000 for it. Maybe that's just me, though.
Posted By: Frédéric L

Re: Yamaha GranTouch DGT2A values - 01/26/19 04:26 AM

Originally Posted by karvala
32-note stereo polyphony would be a deal-breaker for me. That and 2002 sounds, and I honestly wouldn't even pay $1000 for it. Maybe that's just me, though.

It could interest me as a nice controller, if it feels like the N1 I have tried. Since I have a PC with virtual pianos around there, the old sound generator wouldn’t be a problem.

However, the main issue would be the risk of being unable to repair it if it goes out of order.
Posted By: Wolfram

Re: Yamaha GranTouch DGT2A values - 01/26/19 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by Frédéric L

It could interest me as a nice controller, if it feels like the N1 I have tried. Since I have a PC with virtual pianos around there, the old sound generator wouldn’t be a problem.

Exactly what I am doing. I bought the GranTouch in 2008, when it was already outdated somehow. Nevertheless, limited polyphony wasn't an issue at all. And since a few years I am using it in combination with different virtual pianos. Due to the grand action its really an excellent controller and I hope it will stay with me for some more years.

Wolfram

Re: Yamaha GranTouch DGT2A values - 01/26/19 02:11 PM

I doubt anyone buying a GranTouch today would be using the internal sound generator. Hook it up to a VST and the polyphony issue goes away.
Originally Posted by Frédéric L

However, the main issue would be the risk of being unable to repair it if it goes out of order.

I'm curious about the feel as well. It has a grand action, but a very short pivot compared to the AGs.

I think Dave Horne mentioned that the optical emitters (LEDs) or sensors have a tendency to fail after a decade or more, that's probably the main risk...
Posted By: Dave Horne

Re: Yamaha GranTouch DGT2A values - 01/26/19 03:36 PM

I've made my living solely from playing and bought a GranTouch around 20 years ago. I ___never___ noticed any notes dropping out.

Here in the Netherlands I can't count the number of times I've seen the GranTouch on programs.

Use your ears when making musical decisions, don't read the numbers. smile
Posted By: Frédéric L

Re: Yamaha GranTouch DGT2A values - 01/26/19 04:59 PM

The polyphony subject reminds me a post of mine :

http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthre...note-polyphony-question.html#Post2546673
© 2019 Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums