Piano World Home Page

Open back headphones

Posted By: Crocus

Open back headphones - 12/10/18 04:19 PM

Hi - Can anybody recommend a set of open back headphones to use with my Roland RD-800 ? I've been using a set of closed back ones and find they get uncomfortable and hot after a while. Something under $500 or so, not the high end ones. Would be interested to hear any thoughts before I go out and purchase …..
Posted By: halherta

Re: Open back headphones - 12/10/18 04:26 PM

I use the Sennheiser HD6XX. Basically the same version as the Sennheiser HD650. It goes for $200 on massdrop. Great headphones. I also use the Schitt Magni ($99) headphone amplifier along with it. This setup works very well for me.

Re: Open back headphones - 12/10/18 04:41 PM

Thanks ! I'll take a look at them ….
Posted By: MacMacMac

Re: Open back headphones - 12/10/18 04:58 PM

Also, have a look at this headphones spreadsheet.
Posted By: Ovidiu M

Re: Open back headphones - 12/10/18 05:09 PM

Hey! I have Sennheiser HD 599 paired with a Fiio portable amplifier and its absolutly great sounding. Its extremely confortable as well, much more so than other headphones i had higher in class and price.
Posted By: thickfingers

Re: Open back headphones - 12/10/18 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by halherta
I also use the Schitt Magni ($99) headphone amplifier along with it. This setup works very well for me.

Schitt? Are we sure they're a good recommend?
Posted By: Tyrone Slothrop

Re: Open back headphones - 12/10/18 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by thickfingers
I also use the Schitt Magni ($99) headphone amplifier along with it. This setup works very well for me.

I've read reviews that suggest that lower end Schiit equipment is very good. There is some controversy over some of the high end equipment, such as the Yggdrasil, but I've only seen good things about the lower end equipment such as the Magni.
And it is "Schiit," not "Schitt," as the manufacturer says, pronounced like, "that's some good schiit, man!"

BTW, even the Absolute Sound, which happens to be a bit "rarefied" and prone to ratings based on price, had great things to say about the Magni.

Re: Open back headphones - 12/10/18 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by MacMacMac
Also, have a look at this headphones spreadsheet.

Thanks, I did look at the spreadsheet. A good tool but a bewildering list of models. There's still nothing like hearing from people who have actually used some of these.

Re: Open back headphones - 12/10/18 05:51 PM

Well, I partly agree.

Use this list above, or any other, to help with style (open/closed), impedance, availability, price, etc.
And use the descriptions provided by others to judge the physical attributes.

But as for sound quality ... one person's gold is another person's crud.
And, aside from the subjective nature of sound, there's the ambiguity of the descriptive terms used.
So what can another person's description tell you? No much, I think.

The only person whose judgement matters is YOU.
Ya gotta try 'em for yourself.
Posted By: sullivang

Re: Open back headphones - 12/10/18 10:48 PM

My Grado SR80e's are open back, and I am very happy with the sound. They are also suitable for use with smartphones without having to use an amp. They are on-ear though, so may not be comfortable for long sessions.

Greg.
Posted By: halherta

Re: Open back headphones - 12/11/18 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop

I've read reviews that suggest that lower end Schiit equipment is very good. There is some controversy over some of the high end equipment, such as the Yggdrasil, but I've only seen good things about the lower end equipment such as the Magni.
And it is "Schiit," not "Schitt," as the manufacturer says, pronounced like, "that's some good schiit, man!"

BTW, even the Absolute Sound, which happens to be a bit "rarefied" and prone to ratings based on price, had great things to say about the Magni.

Hah! thanks for the correction. The "Schiit" Magni is very good for the price. I'm a big fan.
Posted By: fofig

Re: Open back headphones - 12/12/18 06:43 AM

I also wanted the Magni, but it was difficult to find in Europe.

Finally I went for beyerdynamic DT 990 PRO 250Ohm + FIIO E10k Olympus 2

I got a very good price for headphones on amazon 113euros. THe FIIO is said to be able to drive up to 150ohm but it is fine.

I chose the DT990 because of the very soft earcups that go very smooth on my glasses.

I loved them also for music and you can really wear them for hours!
It was a great choice to pass to open headphones

Ps. I use this hooked to my mac+pianoteq and I use Roland FP30 as a midi input.

Re: Open back headphones - 12/12/18 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by fofig
Ps. I use this hooked to my mac+pianoteq and I use Roland FP30 as a midi input.

Oh, interesting (to go off topic momentarily). That's four detected so far (including me if it pans out (test imminent)), of Pianoteq'ers using the FP30 as controller: Fofig, Quasi and Tyrone the others.
Maybe we can compare notes at some point, and mull velocity curves etc.

OK--back on topic! Headphones. Personally, my criterion is a good sound in my environment, bouncing off the walls, etc. If I can achieve that, headphone performance will be good enough. Only use them when I have to. So long as nothing actually jars that will suffice, for me. (Don't like jarring. Like bongoes, for example...)
Posted By: Dave Horne

Re: Open back headphones - 12/12/18 11:09 AM

I use the Sennheiser HD 598 on a daily basis and am very happy with them.

One piece of advice, having destroyed several headphones throughout my life, consider buying headphones where the cable itself can be removed and easily replaced. You'll typically see this feature on more expensive headphones.

If you've ever tried soldering headphone cable you know it's a losing battle.

Re: Open back headphones - 12/12/18 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by Dave Horne
One piece of advice, having destroyed several headphones....

Always catching the flimsy wires (whatever happened to curly cords!? Too expensive. Oh, I see.) underfoot on my bundle phones...only a matter of time before one gets yanked out, probably.
Soldering? Never done headphone wires (IIRC), but yes mikes etc (same skinny signal wires)--right pain to solder, with hardly any copper there and oftentimes fortifying STRING to negotiate, it's not fun.

Re: Open back headphones - 12/12/18 03:43 PM

Detachable cords wouldn't help me. The only wiring failures I've had were in the plug at the end (easy to repair or replace) and inside the earcup (hard to fix, and not preventable by a detachable cord).

Re: Open back headphones - 12/12/18 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by Dave Horne
One piece of advice, having destroyed several headphones....

Always catching the flimsy wires (whatever happened to curly cords!? Too expensive. Oh, I see.) underfoot on my bundle phones...only a matter of time before one gets yanked out, probably.

I always buy my headphones with a new Cardas / FURUTECH cable. Incredibly tight braided sheath. Never any problems. In fact, the 15m one for my HD800s outlasted the headphones themselves (sigh), and will probably outlast my next ones :
[Linked Image]

Re: Open back headphones - 12/12/18 04:25 PM

Cardas? Really? REALLY? Their web pages make it quite clear that they're fraudsters. Have a look at some of their mumbledy-muck. Pure nonsense ...
Cable geometry problems are resolved in the cable’s design, not after the fact with filters. George introduced the concept of Golden Section Constant "Q" Stranding to high-end audio, but Golden Ratio, 1.6180339887... : 1 is as old as nature itself. Golden Ratio is the mathematical proportion of life itself, the heart of musical scales and chords. "Discovered" by the Greeks, but used by the Egyptians in the Great Pyramid centuries before, man has employed Golden Ratio to create his most beautiful and naturally pleasing works of art and architecture.

The signal used by your system, be it digital or analog, through tube or solid state, is always alternating current. The cyclic effect of alternating current vibrates the wire in your system like the strumming of a guitar string. The beating of the capacitive, inductive and mechanical elements in audio cable is set in motion by the transient energy of the audio signal, just as the guitar string is set into motion by the strike of a pick. This form of vibration or resonance distorts the audio signal and produces many sound anomalies, from colored bass to glare. Every interconnect, every speaker cable, every chassis and speaker wire has its own resonant signature. Like the mass, tension and hardness of the guitar string, the mass, tension and hardness of the conductor, coupled with its inductance and resistance, and the capacitance of the cable, determine what sound is made. Each strand in a cable has its own note or beat. Conductor strands interact with other same sized, near unison, and multiplistic sized strands creating beats the same way a cube listening room would, or one with multiplistic dimensions like 8’ x 16’ x 32.

Stereo systems depend on the purity of the audio signal. When the cable linking all components together imparts its own sound, the audio signal is corrupted. Cardas created a conductor that absorbs or cancels the noise released by the current fluxuation, by progressively layering strands that share no common resonant multiple. This conductor uses the same mathematical proportioning seen in the worlds greatest concert halls for essentially the same reasons. The infinite indivisibility of the Fibonacci Sequence or Golden Section is a key to controlling resonance. The ratio of ø (Phi), or 1 to 1.6180339887... to (infinity), is the Golden Mean, called Golden Ratio or Golden Proportion.

In Golden Section Stranding, individual strands are arranged so each strand is coupled to another, whose note or beat is irrational with its own, thus nulling interstrand resonance. This is the famous "Silent Conductor". It is the silence of Cardas conductors that allows them to be so uniquely musical and pure.

At the heart of cable oscillation is delayed or stored energy. This energy results from the lowered internal "Q", or resonant point, of conventional conductors. Cardas cables employ a unique stranding method where strands diminish in size towards the interior of the conductor. This design is called Constant Q Stranding and it allows each strand of the cable to share the load equally. It is a very effective method of reducing the Non-linearity seen in conventional conductors, without compromising the symmetry of the conductor or the capacitance of the cable.

This kind of nonsense has been all over the web, but has been quite absent from PW ... until now. frown
Posted By: Doug M.

Re: Open back headphones - 12/12/18 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by Crocus
Hi - Can anybody recommend a set of open back headphones to use with my Roland RD-800 ? I've been using a set of closed back ones and find they get uncomfortable and hot after a while. Something under $500 or so, not the high end ones. Would be interested to hear any thoughts before I go out and purchase …..

If you like neutral cans, for open back the Sennheiser HD600 are still the cans to beat. They are the most comfortable of all the Sennheiser headphones due to having 4 pads instead of two in the cross piece. They are considered by audiophiles on YouTube to be perhaps one of the most comfortable OTE headphones available. A similar option (but cheaper) is the closed cans: Audio Technica MSR7's that delivery a neutral sound for less money. However, they are not as comfortable and the headband needs some fettering.

For more bass, you could try the Philips X2 fidelio's.

If you buy the HD600s, you will need a headphone amp to get the most out of them. Maybe they will sound ok without though.
HD598's and HD599's solid options on a budget.

The HD650's are a bit more bass led than the HD600s (neutral cans). The HD660s are sort of between the two. Nice cans, but if you like neutral, probably HD600's are better. If you like bass, the Phillips X2 fidelio's probably compete quite well.

The HD800 could be brought second hand. I know that you can get a mod kit for the HD800 to improve them up to the standard of the HD800S. Some say this mod kit makes them slightly better than the HD800S, it is that good a modification. With these, you'll definitely need a headphone amp. No point in buying a Ferrari and using low grade oil.

I tested the HD800S in a store and they were good but I doubt there is the added value that the price difference represents. In some ways, when you include the amp., decent headphones start to cost as much as a good entry level piano. Maybe it's better to go with lower impedance OTE headphones from a value-for-money perspective.

If I was buying now, I'd probably go to Amazon.com and buy a headphone amp (such as the Schiit" Magni) and also the HD600's, HD660's and Philips X2's on Amazon, test them and return the losers.

If you go onto YouTube, there are some great reviewers whose videos are worth consulting prior to making a purchase.

Re: Open back headphones - 12/12/18 04:36 PM

This kind of nonsense has been all over the web, but has been quite absent from PW ... until now. frown

I only mention it because of it's nice sheath. It doesn't fall apart. Now that is not nonsense.

I made no claims about it carrying electrons any better. You are mentioning that. I just think it is a nice tight sheath and the cable has outlasted my headphones they were attached to (unfortunately).
Posted By: Digitalguy

Re: Open back headphones - 12/12/18 05:27 PM

I have been a fan of the HD598 for years but I have a new favorite, the HD58X. Few people know them as they are recent (or rather they are a reecent tweaked "remake" of the very old HD580 that were then re-branded as HD600). Quite a few people on the internet find the superior to either the HD600 or HD650. They are quite close to the HD660s. And like the 660s they don't need an amp... You can find them on massdrop for 150$. Be aware however that the difference between the 598 and 600/650/6xx and 58x it's not like night and day. They all sound relatively similar. But for the price the HD58X are hard to beat.

Re: Open back headphones - 12/12/18 05:36 PM

I replace my old Beyers with the Senn HD579. I read that by removing a piece of tape from inside the earcups they turn into HD59x phones. (I didn't bother to do that. They sound fine as is.)

I wonder what difference comes with the HD600 or HD650?

Re: Open back headphones - 12/12/18 10:59 PM

I replace my old Beyers with the Senn HD579. I read that by removing a piece of tape from inside the earcups they turn into HD59x phones. (I didn't bother to do that. They sound fine as is.)

I watched this video review on the HD600, 650, and HD700. Has some interesting points.

https://youtu.be/HbwaZOuCxfQ

Re: Open back headphones - 12/12/18 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by Doug M.

I watched this video review on the HD600, 650, and HD700. Has some interesting points.

https://youtu.be/HbwaZOuCxfQ

Since you quote one of Zeos reviews, here are 2 more recent ones you may want to look at
HD660s https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KvRJtcvSLshttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KvRJtcvSLs (also compared to 600/650 in this video)
HD58X https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qE22dZ_jiyU
Posted By: R111

Re: Open back headphones - 12/12/18 11:46 PM

I have these:

I'm pretty happy with them. Non-proprietary removable cord with standard connections. They are comfortable for long periods, but the fabric isn't exactly luxurious. The price seems to have gone up since I bought mine, but if you look around you can find a decent price. I think I paid around $60. Amazon seems to have temporary hyperinflation on the price for some reason.

Re: Open back headphones - 12/12/18 11:51 PM

This Zeos guy is an utter bore. His half-hour of blather could be reduced to just a few minutes.
Advice: prepare your material, edit out the excess (boredom), and present it!

I don't really expect a "media pro" to do reviews ... but most others are done better than these.
Yawn. frown

Re: Open back headphones - 12/13/18 12:13 AM

Seeking better views on headphones than what I found in those videos ... I decided to look back at the many threads found here on Piano World.
Have a look ...

THREAD . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .LAST POST . . .LINK
Headphones and amps and stuff . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 12/09/2018 . . 2788811
Best headphones open? . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 12/05/2018 . . 2785883
Headphones - Amp - Focals - Grados. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 11/30/2018 . . 2774916
Headphone enhancements (surround sound) demo, please? . . . . . 11/29/2018 . . 2783953
Roland RH-A7 Headphones for Roland digital pianos.. . . . . . . 11/23/2018 . . 2783770
Black friday deal - Canada - looking for headphones . . . . . . 11/21/2018 . . 2783237
Roland- headphones. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 11/14/2018 . . 2780878
How do you deal with volume over headphones?. . . . . . . . . . 11/14/2018 . . 2779701
CA98 volume settings (with and w/o headphones). . . . . . . . . 11/09/2018 . . 2777310
Roland GO Piano and Wireless Headphones . . . . . . . . . . . . 10/13/2018 . . 2772136
HP 605 speakers on with headphone input . . . . . . . . . . . . 09/09/2018 . . 2763905
Korg SP-250 sounds only coming from headphones. . . . . . . . . 08/17/2018 . . 2759063
Sennheiser headphone advice . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 08/05/2018 . . 2754589
RD-2000 Headphone Output? . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 08/03/2018 . . 2752780
Which cheap battery powered headphone amp ? . . . . . . . . . . 08/01/2018 . . 2753822
Headphones - Sennheiser HD650, HD58x - questions. . . . . . . . 07/16/2018 . . 2749562
Best closed back headphones for piano voices. . . . . . . . . . 06/22/2018 . . 2746052
Beyerdynamic dt770 headphones . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 06/20/2018 . . 2745595
KAWAI CA-17: External speakers via headphones/MIDI connector. . 06/09/2018 . . 2715849
Headphones with headphone amp better than sound system. . . . . 06/04/2018 . . 2741871
Switch between headphones and monitors? . . . . . . . . . . . . 05/20/2018 . . 2738199
(Headphones) Senn HD559 or other for digital piano? . . . . . . 05/08/2018 . . 2735140
Headphones from AKG . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 04/07/2018 . . 2727164
Best headphone opinions.. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 04/01/2018 . . 2722084
Using Asio4all with an external Headphone Amp/DAC . . . . . . . 03/15/2018 . . 2721184
Headphones setup for Kawai ES8. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 03/06/2018 . . 2718456
Sound is better on headphones than on speakers: why?. . . . . . 03/02/2018 . . 2718136
Sennheiser HD 600 Headphones? . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 03/01/2018 . . 2716510
Headphones + Speakers on CN-27. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 02/19/2018 . . 2715463
Headphone issue and advice. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 02/15/2018 . . 2712822
Which secondary headphones? (Have Sennheiser HD 600). . . . . . 02/09/2018 . . 2709792
An alternative to headphones OR silent system!. . . . . . . . . 01/28/2018 . . 2575393
Headphone advice. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 01/06/2018 . . 2657689
Avantgrand headphone sound is bad. I want to improve! . . . . . 12/26/2017 . . 2694136
Kawai ES8 purchase experience and headphones question . . . . . 12/17/2017 . . 2697267
Left & Right Headphones . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 12/09/2017 . . 2695592
Kawai ES8 Headphone Hum . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 11/27/2017 . . 2657677
HiFiMAN HE-400i headphones - Incredible deal. . . . . . . . . . 11/24/2017 . . 2691714
Advice needed for new headphones. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 11/18/2017 . . 2689100
headphone Jack on MP11 question . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 11/12/2017 . . 2688979
Having JBL LSR305, what a closest sounding headphone? . . . . . 11/10/2017 . . 2666451
Best headphones for under $100 ($100 ish) . . . . . . . . . . . 11/08/2017 . . 2686859
MP7 headphone choice: Sennheiser HD600 vs HD650 . . . . . . . . 11/08/2017 . . 2602861
Wireless Headphones?. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 10/15/2017 . . 2681506
Kawai CA 97, headphone volume setting . . . . . . . . . . . . . 10/11/2017 . . 2680274
Any decent headphones still made with dedicated 1/4" plug?. . . 10/10/2017 . . 2680910
Headphones? . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 08/20/2017 . . 2668498
Roland FP30 & 3D Ambience on headphones . . . . . . . . . . . . 08/18/2017 . . 2668478
Roland FP-30 and headphones - read if you want to buy one !!. . 08/03/2017 . . 2574707
Digital piano, Amp/Speakers/Headphones. . . . . . . . . . . . . 07/23/2017 . . 2663463
PSA: Sennheiser HD 6XX headphones on Massdrop . . . . . . . . . 07/20/2017 . . 2662614
Line out jack or Headphone output?. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 05/27/2017 . . 2647667
Kawai-CA 97 (SHS) headphone question. . . . . . . . . . . . . . 05/19/2017 . . 2439236
Issues with headphone on Arius YDP-163. . . . . . . . . . . . . 05/07/2017 . . 2639370
Headphone jack vs line out sound quality difference?. . . . . . 04/12/2017 . . 2632338
OT ... DiGiGrid headphone amp . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 03/19/2017 . . 2625188
Best headphones for digital piano . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 03/07/2017 . . 2472805
Digital piano headphones. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 03/06/2017 . . 2620495
Cheap headphone amp recommendation? . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 02/22/2017 . . 2616329
Inexpensive headphones for DP - ATH-M30x. . . . . . . . . . . . 02/11/2017 . . 2613132
Cs11/ca97..and wireless headphones. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 02/01/2017 . . 2609798
Sound comes out of speakers even w headphones plugged in. . . . 01/20/2017 . . 2605779
Digital headphones and latency. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 01/14/2017 . . 2604169
Which Headphones do you own and would you recommend them? . . . 01/11/2017 . . 1592664
High Impedance Headphones for Yamaha Pianos . . . . . . . . . . 01/02/2017 . . 2598438
For Headphone use only - Kawai CA 67 vs CA 97 vs MP11 . . . . . 12/29/2016 . . 2598597
Headphones with Digital Pianos? . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 12/27/2016 . . 2597879
sennheiser earbud type headphones.. any good for DPs? . . . . . 12/23/2016 . . 2597497
Sennheiser headphone question . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 12/23/2016 . . 2597368
Wireless headphones with digital pianos . . . . . . . . . . . . 12/23/2016 . . 2597319
Headphones - no more searching. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 12/18/2016 . . 2593615
Best digital keyboard for classical practice w. headphone?. . . 12/16/2016 . . 2587603
Amp for headphone with impedance 250 Ohm and up . . . . . . . . 12/13/2016 . . 2594098
MP11 Line out/headphones. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 11/24/2016 . . 2589608
Best digital/software pianos for playing with headphones? . . . 10/30/2016 . . 2582665
Adding external monitors to my Kawai CN25: headphone output?. . 10/20/2016 . . 2580208
Wireless headphones . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 10/20/2016 . . 2579757
Headphones - low volume and distortion. . . . . . . . . . . . . 10/11/2016 . . 2574358
Best digital piano headphones . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 09/26/2016 . . 2573871
Audio-Technica ATH-EW9 Clip on headphones . . . . . . . . . . . 09/23/2016 . . 2572795
Headphones and plans a, b scuppered!. . . . . . . . . . . . . . 09/12/2016 . . 2569890
Headphones for digital piano and other uses . . . . . . . . . . 09/10/2016 . . 2569314
New Headphones..... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 08/14/2016 . . 2563221
Headphone differences . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 07/08/2016 . . 2554047
Headphones with a Kawai CA series.. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 06/30/2016 . . 2549327
Question about recording with headphones output . . . . . . . . 06/05/2016 . . 2546365
TB Isone: a remarkable plugin for Pianoteq and headphones . . . 05/05/2016 . . 2536744
Getting the most out of my new headphones . . . . . . . . . . . 04/11/2016 . . 2529513
Roland FP-30 demo from headphone out - english subtitles. . . . 04/03/2016 . . 2526118
Versatile Headphones for Digital Piano. . . . . . . . . . . . . 03/29/2016 . . 2525611
Headphones for Digital Piano. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 02/22/2016 . . 2510147
Headphone/amp for N2? . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 01/23/2016 . . 2493370
Kawai CA-67 sound through headphones. . . . . . . . . . . . . . 01/14/2016 . . 2402684
General headphones question . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 12/31/2015 . . 2494477
Bose Headphones digital piano usage?. . . . . . . . . . . . . . 12/31/2015 . . 2494258
THE best headphones?. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 11/28/2015 . . 675052
Headphones vs Monitors..... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 11/05/2015 . . 2477274
Headphones. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 11/02/2015 . . 2476330
Use your own headphones!. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 10/16/2015 . . 2470885
AKG K702/712 headphones . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 10/10/2015 . . 2466604
Headphones, open or closed? . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 10/06/2015 . . 2466579
Good Digital Headphones?. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 10/06/2015 . . 2465593
PSR E343 Headphone. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 09/22/2015 . . 2462128
Headphones Advice . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 07/31/2015 . . 2444791
Anyone using decent lightweight headphones/ear-speakers?. . . . 07/27/2015 . . 2444582
Soundcard for Kontakt + headphones. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 07/16/2015 . . 2441554
Headphones for Digital pianos . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 07/11/2015 . . 665427
2015 Headphone Choice?. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 06/21/2015 . . 2432045
Kawai sound headphones on . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 04/24/2015 . . 2413359
new Yamaha P-105, headphones don't turn off speakers. . . . . . 04/19/2015 . . 2411380
Reproducing the Yamaha Disklavier headphones effect . . . . . . 04/04/2015 . . 2406524
Another headphones question thread. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 03/20/2015 . . 2399936
Headphone question for Casio PX860. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 03/19/2015 . . 2400207
Kawai VPC1 with bluetooth headphones. . . . . . . . . . . . . . 01/28/2015 . . 2378571
Headphone recommendation. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 01/01/2015 . . 2365093
Best Headphone for CLP-585. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 11/24/2014 . . 2352413
Using a headphone make me feel a bit dizzy. . . . . . . . . . . 11/22/2014 . . 2352363
Best headphone for a digital Clavinova CVP-403. . . . . . . . . 10/02/2014 . . 2332279
Headphone impedance for DP90se. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 09/18/2014 . . 2328876
Kawai pianos - overloading headphones?. . . . . . . . . . . . . 08/20/2014 . . 2317358
Headphones Sennheiser MOMENTUM On-Ear . . . . . . . . . . . . . 07/29/2014 . . 2306778
Headphone Amp?. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 07/25/2014 . . 2304604
Headphone selection & volume level... . . . . . . . . . . . . . 07/11/2014 . . 2300192
Headphones for a digital piano. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 06/24/2014 . . 2293726
Headphones : Audio Technica ATH-M50 vs Shure SRH840 . . . . . . 06/04/2014 . . 2284032
ROland RD-800 and headphones. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 05/19/2014 . . 2276608
earphones vs headphones . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 03/28/2014 . . 2253189
Sennheiser HD 518 headphones. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 03/24/2014 . . 2135764
Best headphones for playing Vintage D, Ravenscroft, Ivory,. . . 03/22/2014 . . 2247233
Headphones / cans people are using with their digital piano?. . 03/11/2014 . . 2231330
Casio Privia px-300, the sound with headphones is tiny. . . . . 03/03/2014 . . 2240642
Headphone for my Yamaha NU1 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 03/02/2014 . . 2240028
Yamaha N1 through headphones. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 02/11/2014 . . 2227306
Noise on the left headphones output - Roland HP-507 . . . . . . 01/29/2014 . . 2221862
Headphone for Nord Piano 2 HA88 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 01/14/2014 . . 2213857
Hooking Digitial Keyboard and PC to same headphones.. . . . . . 01/12/2014 . . 2211507
Headphone socket quit on Technics SX-PX55 . . . . . . . . . . . 12/16/2013 . . 2197147
Headphone Hiss. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 12/08/2013 . . 2193953
Headphones for listening to piano thru computer (3.5mm plug). . 11/23/2013 . . 2183409
headphone amplifier really necessary? . . . . . . . . . . . . . 10/31/2013 . . 2174488
Making studio monitors sound as good as headphones. EQ? . . . . 10/31/2013 . . 1790197
Best settings for headphones on CA65/95, CS7/10 . . . . . . . . 10/09/2013 . . 2163002
WITH AND WITHOUT HEADPHONE COMPARISIONS . . . . . . . . . . . . 10/02/2013 . . 2159405
Best Headphone For Digital Piano. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 10/01/2013 . . 2154302
Problem with NU1 & Headphones . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 09/28/2013 . . 2154692
Sennheiser headphones . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 09/04/2013 . . 2138301
Question for Casio PX-350 users who have tried headphones . . . 08/27/2013 . . 2139001
Better sound from Yamaha CP33 via headphones. . . . . . . . . . 08/10/2013 . . 2130422
Who uses headphone socket to record from? . . . . . . . . . . . 07/05/2013 . . 2110457
Best headphones for software piano sony v6? . . . . . . . . . . 06/10/2013 . . 2097243
Headphones. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 05/31/2013 . . 2090019
What headphone adapter to I need to fit a Casio AP620 Digita. . 05/30/2013 . . 2092477
OT ordered new headphones, Bose Comfort 15 noise cancelling . . 05/28/2013 . . 2090470
Binaural processing with headphones/monitors on DPs . . . . . . 04/30/2013 . . 2057420
Headphones. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 04/29/2013 . . 2069432
headphone suggestions please for yamaha P155 sennheiser 598?. . 04/11/2013 . . 2044236
PreSonus VSL44 60hz hum in headphones . . . . . . . . . . . . . 03/09/2013 . . 2037786
Noob needs help with Headphones for a DP. . . . . . . . . . . . 02/21/2013 . . 2033959
Headphone jack out impedance. Kawai especially. . . . . . . . . 01/16/2013 . . 2014569
Headphone's Hum/Static. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 01/12/2013 . . 2012982
New headphones for the imminent arrival of my CA95. . . . . . . 01/10/2013 . . 2011827
Headphones for Digital Piano? . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 01/06/2013 . . 2009776
Question About Using Headphones with a Digital Piano. . . . . . 01/05/2013 . . 2009120
Noise in one headphone output but not in the other? . . . . . . 01/01/2013 . . 2006967
A DIFFERENT Headphone Question. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 12/23/2012 . . 2003540
Casio PX-110 headphone jack size? . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 12/22/2012 . . 2002886
HEADPHONES....What to consider when using w/ digital piano. . . 12/12/2012 . . 1993844
Good Headphones for Stage piano . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 11/09/2012 . . 1968736
Looking for new headphones, what do you recommend?. . . . . . . 10/13/2012 . . 1946024
N2 output to headphone sounds funny . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 08/23/2012 . . 1946502
Line Out or Headphone Out for DP to Hi-Fi amp?. . . . . . . . . 08/21/2012 . . 1946621
play Yamaha Clavinova CV-35 with headphones as output?. . . . . 08/10/2012 . . 1939866
Headphones for DP . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 08/04/2012 . . 1936839
Kawai CL36 - Noise on headphones. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 07/17/2012 . . 1927238
Digital piano and headphones. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 07/16/2012 . . 1926978
Recommendations on headphones/speakers? . . . . . . . . . . . . 07/16/2012 . . 1924053
Headphones trouble. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 07/12/2012 . . 1925785
Confused about headphones . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 07/03/2012 . . 1921960
Headphone Advice:Reference 'Phones or Not? Open or Closed?. . . 07/02/2012 . . 1903510
Headphone amps. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 06/04/2012 . . 1899479
Wireless headphones (Sennheiser RS 170) . . . . . . . . . . . . 06/01/2012 . . 1901143
I need headphone help . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 05/30/2012 . . 1880759
Yamaha Avantgrand N2 - sound w/ou headphones? . . . . . . . . . 05/10/2012 . . 1894240
which AKG headphones. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 05/10/2012 . . 1892864
Can my Clavinova CVP 503 power my headphones AKG Q701?. . . . . 05/03/2012 . . 1889516
We finally bought a FP-7f- now need rec's for headphones! . . . 04/24/2012 . . 1872845
Good Headphones around 100 pounds? (For YDP161 + Ipod). . . . . 04/22/2012 . . 1881941
AvantGrand Headphone volume . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 04/20/2012 . . 1881672
Best headphones for Piano music . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 04/19/2012 . . 1882308
Headphone volume of DPs (YDP161 to be exact). . . . . . . . . . 04/15/2012 . . 1876313
Headphones. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 04/11/2012 . . 1876511
Headphones for a Yamaha P155? . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 03/30/2012 . . 1870622
Sennheiser HD380 headphones . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 03/07/2012 . . 1857339
Headphones. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 02/29/2012 . . 1849877
Headphone amp with a two channel mixer for use with DP? . . . . 02/19/2012 . . 1847068
Which headphones do you use/recommend?. . . . . . . . . . . . . 02/02/2012 . . 1831866
Kawai CN-23 and two headphones - not enough juice?. . . . . . . 01/25/2012 . . 1831140
What headphones does everybody use? . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 12/29/2011 . . 1813636
USB headphone amps and ASIO . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 12/23/2011 . . 1800509
Great deal on headphones (Able Planet Clear Harmony). . . . . . 11/16/2011 . . 1790058
Headphones for digital piano! . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 11/15/2011 . . 1788618
Headphone ratings for AvantGrand. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 11/01/2011 . . 1770237
Suggestions for setting headphone volume. . . . . . . . . . . . 10/12/2011 . . 1767114
audio into headphones from computer and piano at same time. . . 09/20/2011 . . 1755279
Gigging headphones. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 09/19/2011 . . 1755163
Headphones Recommendation for AG N2 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 09/12/2011 . . 1749045
Is the "headphones jack" able to serve as "line out"? . . . . . 09/12/2011 . . 1748128
OT ... headphones Sennheiser HD 280 PRO . . . . . . . . . . . . 09/05/2011 . . 1744657
OT sort of. around the ear headphones with noise blocking . . . 08/27/2011 . . 1741036
headphones... again . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 08/19/2011 . . 1734839
Headphones and Ear Safety . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 08/11/2011 . . 1729364
Buying headphones for my Nord Piano . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 08/05/2011 . . 1665832
Modified Headphone Plug for P85/95. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 07/19/2011 . . 1563886
Yamaha P155 Headphones. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 06/03/2011 . . 1688769
External Speakers from headphone socket . . . . . . . . . . . . 06/01/2011 . . 1688383
headphone hearing anomaly .... additional buzzy sound . . . . . 05/27/2011 . . 1683664
headphones. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 05/21/2011 . . 1669144
Recommendations for headphones between $60-$75. . . . . . . . . 04/04/2011 . . 1653004
DP bench and headphones . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 03/27/2011 . . 1648752
Headphone amps for Digital Pianos?. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 03/08/2011 . . 1635950
Yamaha YDP 141 headphone. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 03/04/2011 . . 1633094
Headphones that will do the Kawai MP10 justice. . . . . . . . . 02/07/2011 . . 1614351
noise cancelling headphones?. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 01/24/2011 . . 1600727
Best HEADPHONE for Acoustic Piano . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 01/09/2011 . . 1565700
Headphone amp necessary for kawai digital piano and HD595?. . . 01/05/2011 . . 1588707
Can you get a reasonable set of headphones for..... . . . . . . 12/30/2010 . . 1580430
Headphone question. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 12/28/2010 . . 1584598
New headphones - trying them out. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 12/19/2010 . . 1579947
Headphone jack sizes. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 12/12/2010 . . 1575255
Headphone sound on Kawai CA51 not so good . . . . . . . . . . . 12/06/2010 . . 1563789
OT in the ear headphones. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 11/17/2010 . . 1539969
headphones and new pedal. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 11/14/2010 . . 1556988
Choosing the right headphones for a Digitalpiano. . . . . . . . 11/04/2010 . . 1528528
Recording a song through Headphone Jack . . . . . . . . . . . . 10/20/2010 . . 1536901
AKG K240 Pro Headphones . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 10/04/2010 . . 1527300
headphones. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 09/23/2010 . . 1520572
headphones for flying . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 08/16/2010 . . 1497042
what justifies a good headphone for DP. . . . . . . . . . . . . 08/12/2010 . . 1493179
Need new headphones . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 08/10/2010 . . 1414962
Headphone Amp for AKG K701. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 08/09/2010 . . 1487341
Just got a YDP-141...Headphone Buzz?. . . . . . . . . . . . . . 08/03/2010 . . 1486749
Anyone know anything re: headphone amps? Need recommendation. . 08/03/2010 . . 1471285
Puzzling low hum on headphones. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 07/20/2010 . . 1476294
Unclear sound through the headphones. . . . . . . . . . . . . . 07/06/2010 . . 1469007
Headphones revelation . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 07/01/2010 . . 1464626
Which headphones to buy?. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 05/28/2010 . . 1280762
My Questions (rd-700gx/headphones/speakers) . . . . . . . . . . 05/15/2010 . . 1436934
Anyone using a headphone amp? . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 05/14/2010 . . 1430100
Headphone For DGX500. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 04/18/2010 . . 1419488
Headphones: AKG 271 MkII vs the Akg 240 MkII. . . . . . . . . . 04/11/2010 . . 1414804
Which Headphones? . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 03/29/2010 . . 1404848
What headphones are best for Digital piano? . . . . . . . . . . 03/06/2010 . . 1384637
Headphones for playing the DP . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 02/28/2010 . . 1384923
A good pair of headphones for software piano. . . . . . . . . . 02/23/2010 . . 1377824
'Line out' versus 'headphone jack'. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 02/21/2010 . . 1378126
Noise Cancelling Headphones . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 02/16/2010 . . 1374263
I also need a good Headphone for my new Roland FP-4, please!. . 02/12/2010 . . 1369556
Headphones suggestions for casio px330? . . . . . . . . . . . . 02/10/2010 . . 1367586
My HP-207 sounds better thru my headphones. . . . . . . . . . . 01/30/2010 . . 1359777
Not all headphones are created equal! . . . . . . . . . . . . . 01/20/2010 . . 1351764
Headphone jack to stereo out adapter??. . . . . . . . . . . . . 01/13/2010 . . 1342520
Help me! (with headphones). . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 12/29/2009 . . 1336050
What are the best headphones for an HP-207? . . . . . . . . . . 12/29/2009 . . 1336017
Best piano under $600-$700 for use with HEADPHONES. . . . . . . 12/23/2009 . . 1332027
AKG K240 headphones? The best (at least to begin with?) . . . . 12/16/2009 . . 1326172
dual input headphone- cable adapter . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 12/03/2009 . . 1316995
Best headphones for digital keyboard. . . . . . . . . . . . . . 11/25/2009 . . 1309850
Unanswerable headphone question?. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 10/27/2009 . . 1293254
Yamaha RH5MA Headphones . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 10/18/2009 . . 1288983
Headphone output much lower on PX-130?. . . . . . . . . . . . . 10/13/2009 . . 1285460
Compressed sound from the Yamaha YPG-635 Headphone output . . . 10/09/2009 . . 1278286
Record your playing through line-out or headphone out?. . . . . 09/30/2009 . . 1277675
Good headphones for digital piano?. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 09/12/2009 . . 1267164
Headphones and the P155 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 09/07/2009 . . 1263623
Good set of headphones. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 09/06/2009 . . 1263353
which headphone to use for hp 203?. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 08/10/2009 . . 1246083
Recommend Headphones For a Digital Piano. . . . . . . . . . . . 07/28/2009 . . 1231332
Qn about using headphone on P155. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 07/03/2009 . . 1226585
Headphones + recording help needed. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 07/01/2009 . . 1225127
Help !exchanging my studio monitors for headphones. . . . . . . 06/18/2009 . . 1218491
Headphone impedance . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 06/17/2009 . . 1217826

Re: Open back headphones - 12/13/18 12:19 AM

Apparently there's a limit to how much text you can put it a post ... so the one above got truncated.
Here's the rest of it ...

THREAD . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .LAST POST . . .LINK
Headphones for monitoring applications. . . . . . . . . . . . . 06/11/2009 . . 1215872
sennheiser Headphones with CP300. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 06/02/2009 . . 1209965
Headphone Volume - Which is best? . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 05/27/2009 . . 1207069
what headphones would you recommend . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 04/01/2009 . . 1171741
Headphones. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 03/18/2009 . . 1163359
Bose headphones . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 03/07/2009 . . 1158768
A few questions regarding headphones... . . . . . . . . . . . . 03/07/2009 . . 1156729
My new headphones sucked! . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 03/02/2009 . . 1154407
More headphone questions! . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 03/01/2009 . . 1154445
Good headphones for DP? . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 02/25/2009 . . 680337
Connecting a headphone amplifier to a DP. . . . . . . . . . . . 02/23/2009 . . 683574
Headphone to a Digital piano with no Headphone jack?? . . . . . 02/07/2009 . . 660933
headphones. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 01/06/2009 . . 702347
Headphones- some really basic questions . . . . . . . . . . . . 12/22/2008 . . 702581
Headphone recommendations . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 12/01/2008 . . 677550
two inputs to one headphone . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 11/30/2008 . . 665395
Headache with Headphones. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 11/29/2008 . . 656909
Headphones. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 08/12/2008 . . 678098
Roland HP201 through headphones . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 07/06/2008 . . 676251
AKG k240 Studio headphones... faulty? . . . . . . . . . . . . . 07/03/2008 . . 684953
Will better headphones make my keyboard sound better or worse? .07/01/2008 . . 680883
Good Headphones VS. Good Stereo System. . . . . . . . . . . . . 06/19/2008 . . 691523
stereo headphone socket for pianos? . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 05/20/2008 . . 667182
headphones for DP?. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 04/21/2008 . . 669622
Yamaha P140 hissing noise with headphone. . . . . . . . . . . . 03/23/2008 . . 656366
Roland FP7 - headphone output issue . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 03/03/2008 . . 686497
Headphones. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 01/19/2008 . . 682678
Hearing safety--earbuds or headphones?. . . . . . . . . . . . . 01/12/2008 . . 661082
How do you manage your headphone cord?. . . . . . . . . . . . . 01/04/2008 . . 656706
Budget headphones for budget digital pianos . . . . . . . . . . 12/12/2007 . . 697433
great headphone - Grado SR60. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 11/22/2007 . . 669346
Clavinova CLP-230 Headphone Problem . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 11/16/2007 . . 661565
best earphones/headphones ??. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 11/14/2007 . . 684062
Do you use a headphone amp? . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 10/24/2007 . . 657261
How to practice with headphones?. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 10/19/2007 . . 685919
What headphones will the CA91 drive w/o an amp? . . . . . . . . 09/06/2007 . . 665946
new replacement headphones. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 07/22/2007 . . 660689
Wireless headphone recommendations. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 06/14/2007 . . 698216
Looking for headphones: Sony MDR-V6 or Sennheiser HD280 Pro?. . 05/09/2007 . . 699092
Bluetooth headphones that work with a keyboard. . . . . . . . . 05/05/2007 . . 671267
Sony MDR-V6 headphones. Block outside sound?. . . . . . . . . . 04/24/2007 . . 700739
Good headphones ? . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 03/04/2007 . . 656579
Amplifiers & headphones ??. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 03/03/2007 . . 700614
Recommend Good Headphones . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 02/23/2007 . . 674383
open backed/closed back headphones. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 02/14/2007 . . 696675
Headphone issue . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 01/06/2007 . . 663341
Headphones? . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 12/30/2006 . . 700211
headphone practice. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 11/14/2006 . . 685873
Headphones for peace and quiet. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 10/13/2006 . . 680777
Headphone amplifier . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 06/21/2006 . . 697816
Which Headphones? . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 06/16/2006 . . 690318
CLP 240 sound difference from the speakers and from headphone . 06/13/2006 . . 694260
Has anyone used a Sennheiser HD650 headphone? . . . . . . . . . 06/10/2006 . . 669585
Yamaha P90 - Headphone Hiss (Sony MDR7506). . . . . . . . . . . 05/25/2006 . . 671511
CLP headphone jacks . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 04/26/2006 . . 685158
Sennheiser HD-515 Headphones. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 03/20/2006 . . 657553
Open versus closed headphones . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 02/18/2006 . . 661773
Is it possible to blow headphones?. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 02/11/2006 . . 684507
Sennheiser 350 Headphones... Jana was right!. . . . . . . . . . 01/24/2006 . . 662932
Headphones Again. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 01/13/2006 . . 659216
Headphones for digital piano? . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 10/25/2005 . . 679243
Wireless headphones . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 08/14/2005 . . 686973
P90 -- Headphones vs. Amplifier . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 07/06/2005 . . 689233
Headphones with Mic needed. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 05/10/2005 . . 673948
Headphones. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 04/10/2005 . . 697899
What headphones do you use? . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 03/23/2005 . . 689758
Recommend me a good set of headphones . . . . . . . . . . . . . 03/21/2005 . . 657313
What is the headphone impedance on CVP309GP?. . . . . . . . . . 03/10/2005 . . 680422
Good value studio headphones - recommend. . . . . . . . . . . . 01/08/2005 . . 690407
which headphone?. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 11/12/2004 . . 662579
Headphones. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 10/31/2004 . . 658046
Good headphone? . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 10/13/2004 . . 692635
Headphones. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 07/21/2004 . . 695448
Headphones. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 10/12/2003 . . 681128
Any Headphone Recommendations?. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 07/27/2002 . . 681789
Headphones (cordless/corded). . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 06/20/2002 . . 658427
Headphones. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 05/03/2002 . . 692501
Posted By: Kawai James

Re: Open back headphones - 12/13/18 01:50 AM

Nicely done Mac! wink
Posted By: Charles Cohen

Re: Open back headphones - 12/13/18 06:20 AM

. . . The signal used by your system, be it digital or analog, through tube or solid state, is always alternating current. The cyclic effect of alternating current vibrates the wire in your system like the strumming of a guitar string. The beating of the capacitive, inductive and mechanical elements in audio cable is set in motion by the transient energy of the audio signal, just as the guitar string is set into motion by the strike of a pick. This form of vibration or resonance distorts the audio signal and produces many sound anomalies, from colored bass to glare. . . .

Truly wonderful !!!!!! There's no limit to the human imagination.<g>

Re: Open back headphones - 12/13/18 09:49 PM

I'd same the same thing ... but I'd remove "imagination" and substitute "bull ----".

Re: Open back headphones - 12/13/18 09:52 PM

For those interested here is a very recent video from a guy that I often watch on youtube comparing the HD600 and the HD58X where you can also "listen" to both headphones...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdNgbkPDujw
Posted By: Bruce In Philly

Re: Open back headphones - 12/13/18 11:20 PM

Grado headphones.... Everytime I posted my love for these, folks trash them.... so, one last blast:

https://youtu.be/0NJLY7RXb9I

Grados: the cheaper ones have been highly recommended by audiophiles as cheap, outstanding phones.... I have owned multiple pairs and loved all of them regardless of price.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Posted By: petebfrance

Re: Open back headphones - 12/13/18 11:44 PM

Hi smile
I feel I have to share these:
http://www.connect-we.fr/casques-ecouteurs/377-casque-filaire-we.html

I bought one pair (the greenish yellow ones, they only had them and pink at the time) and after trying them on my old Casio keyboard for a few weeks discovered they were wearable for an hour or more without any discomfort (except the one time my glasses got caught in the wrong place behind my ear - that was agony!), then bought a purple pair for the computer.

Hmm. Not exactly hifi, but I remember someone mentioning on PW that supermarket phones did OK for him, and tried one of these. The short lead is a bit of a pain, but better than long, straggly ones that wind themselves around things......anyway, the design of the ear-pads is what makes them so good, and when they fail they are cheap and easy to replace.

Sound? Well, yes they make a sound! I quite like them, have heard better etc. but appreciate the comfort.

Re: Open back headphones - 12/14/18 12:27 AM

It's odd that people trash them ... given that it's so hard to even find one in stores.
I've NEVER seen a Grado ... except in print and online promotional media.
Posted By: sullivang

Re: Open back headphones - 12/14/18 10:10 PM

I'd never seen Grado in mainstream stores either, but I was able to obtain my SR80s very easily - I just Googled, found a store, they had it in stock, and I picked them up the next day.

Greg.

Re: Open back headphones - 12/15/18 09:30 AM

I'm intrigued by this talk (and the YouTube vid) of the singular qualities of Grados...the SR80's price seems acceptable, might just try those out (if I can find them on eBay from a seller who accepts returns)... My last pair of tryouts (Roland) are now an ornament, not even measuring up to the bundle pair I've been using.

Re: Open back headphones - 12/15/18 12:36 PM

I was intrigued by the Grados ten years ago when I needed phones for my Clav.

They make headphones at all prices, all the way up to the $2000 mark. Yet even the reviews for the "lowly" SR60 at around $60 were glowing.

The main impediment for me was that these are on-the-ear phones, and I cannot tolerate anything on (or in) the ears.
Posted By: newer player

Re: Open back headphones - 12/15/18 04:48 PM

It's odd that people trash them ... given that it's so hard to even find one in stores.
I've NEVER seen a Grado ... except in print and online promotional media.

They are all over the place in Asia. And rather popular. I would speculate Asia is their core market. Ironic given production is in NYC.

For under $80, the Grado SR60 is a excellent headphone in my view. Grado has a different approach to foamy earpads so that may be a feature your ears like.

Re: Open back headphones - 12/15/18 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
Grado headphones.... Everytime I posted my love for these, folks trash them.... so, one last blast:

https://youtu.be/0NJLY7RXb9I

Grados: the cheaper ones have been highly recommended by audiophiles as cheap, outstanding phones.... I have owned multiple pairs and loved all of them regardless of price.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

This is indeed true: on a limited budget, they give great value for money.

Re: Open back headphones - 02/01/19 05:24 AM

Well here it is, weeks since I posted that request for headphone recommendations for my Roland RD-800 (see top of thread). Thanks to all who posted and gave me their thoughts. Have read through them all, including MacMacMac's great spreadsheet of various manufacturers and models.

But here's the thing .... I've finally gone out these past two afternoons to test headphones in stores here in Vancouver, particularly models recommended. And I've come across one that nobody mentioned but that, to me, sounds terrific and feels very comfortable, the best pair I've heard. Guess I'm wondering if people have maybe had bad experiences with them, or have some other information that's not apparent to me. It's Audio-Technica's ATH-R70x, an open-back model, not the prettiest set on the market but as I say, I was really impressed with them today (have been using familiar tracks on my smartphone for comparison purposes).

The deal isn't done yet, the phones plus required amplifier are going to cost considerably more than I had in mind (started out simply looking for more comfortable phones than the closed-back ones I've been using). But after another afternoon of testing, these seemed like the ones. Must confess a bias, I like sound just a bit on the bright side and these were.

The shop will give me a two-week tryout. But before doing that, it'd be great to hear any comments people may have about them. Of course I'm expecting the keyboard to sound wonderful but would also use them for listening to vinyl, CD's, and online music .....

Re: Open back headphones - 02/02/19 02:17 AM

Originally Posted by Crocus
Well here it is, weeks since I posted that request for headphone recommendations for my Roland RD-800 (see top of thread). Thanks to all who posted and gave me their thoughts. Have read through them all, including MacMacMac's great spreadsheet of various manufacturers and models.

But here's the thing .... I've finally gone out these past two afternoons to test headphones in stores here in Vancouver, particularly models recommended. And I've come across one that nobody mentioned but that, to me, sounds terrific and feels very comfortable, the best pair I've heard. Guess I'm wondering if people have maybe had bad experiences with them, or have some other information that's not apparent to me. It's Audio-Technica's ATH-R70x, an open-back model, not the prettiest set on the market but as I say, I was really impressed with them today (have been using familiar tracks on my smartphone for comparison purposes).

The deal isn't done yet, the phones plus required amplifier are going to cost considerably more than I had in mind (started out simply looking for more comfortable phones than the closed-back ones I've been using). But after another afternoon of testing, these seemed like the ones. Must confess a bias, I like sound just a bit on the bright side and these were.

The shop will give me a two-week tryout. But before doing that, it'd be great to hear any comments people may have about them. Of course I'm expecting the keyboard to sound wonderful but would also use them for listening to vinyl, CD's, and online music .....

Didn't know this one, had a look at reviews and indeed is something in between HD600 and HD650 so pretty good. Still, for this level of sound quality my recommendation remains HD58x (as good, no amp and cheaper)

Re: Open back headphones - 02/02/19 08:40 AM

Digitalguy - Thanks much for your reply. I did listen to the Sennheiser's, spent quite a bit of time with an HD660 yesterday afternoon. The shop owner told me a lot of keyboard players use them but I found them a little dark after the relative brightness of the R70x. But we all know how fluid our judgements are when it comes to sound, whether we like or don't like something depends on what we last heard and maybe what we hear next, it seems our ears are always comparing. Hard to be objective sometimes.

Well I brought a pair home today, two weeks to give them a test run. And the good news is that I don't need an amp ! They sound great with my keyboard and no amp. Although a sales guy at another shop told me an amp will make a good pair of headphones sound even better so I'm going to try out an amp in three weeks just to see for myself (the shop guy has one coming in then that he thinks would be a good match for the R70x's).

As I said yesterday, I really started out this little journey just looking for a more comfortable pair of headphones. I live in a quiet building and wear them most of the time I'm playing. Have never had a pair of open-back ones before but I'm sure liking these. They're light and cool. The fact that they also sound terrific is a bonus. Don't like having to spend that much money but hey, we can't take it with us !

It's been fun going into shops and spending time trying out headphones. Shop owners seem to enjoy answering questions and telling you stuff, they have a ton of knowledge although you sometimes have to let them know when they lapse into audio jargon ! It's been educational, I've learned a lot in the last few days and met some good people. Next time I'm in a shop I'll look for their HD58x's again and see how they sound after a period of using the R70x's.

Re: Open back headphones - 02/02/19 11:31 AM

Hi Crocus, I’m not sure you’ll find the HD58X in a shop as I believe they are a Massdrop exclusive, as the HD6XX. Having said that, quite a few reviewers say they are very very similar to HD660. As for too dark, I don’t find them too dark, but it depends on the piano. A piano with Roland supernatural, which is rather dark, may not be ideal... Having said that, I find the HD58X less dark than the HD598, and nobody considers the HD598 dark. Why? Cause their low bamp is not in the low end but in the mid-bass, and for what I play on the piano the mid-bass (between 2nd and 3rd octave) is more important the the the lower end. This also makes dark pianos such as some pianoteq ones or Ivory american worse IMO compared to a more neutral or brighter HP. I don’t feel the same about the HD58X, probably because the darkness is lower or for some other reason I am not sure of.... However thanks for making me discover these R70x. It’s always nice to know when someone ask you to reccommend some headphones. As of now, I dont feel the need to have other headphones as I am very happy with the 58X and with the much cheaper but still as excellent Koss (I am always afraid of not being taken seriously when I mention them, as people correlate too much price with quality and think it’s impossible to have a $300 quality for 20 times cheaper... so the problem must be the listener...)
Posted By: toddy

Re: Open back headphones - 02/02/19 01:57 PM

In fact, the 15m [wire] for my HD800s outlasted the headphones themselves (sigh), and will probably outlast my next ones.

How long did the HD800s last?

Re: Open back headphones - 02/02/19 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by toddy
In fact, the 15m [wire] for my HD800s outlasted the headphones themselves (sigh), and will probably outlast my next ones.

How long did the HD800s last?

My HD800s lasted from 2013 until now. 5.5 years. Now they are at the Sennheiser repair center where Sennheiser is arguing that they need a new cable to fix them (total BS), but I am thinking about accepting their diagnosis just to move on to the next step which is when they still don't work with an manufacturer's replacement cable (which is BTW $150 - so more than even the price of entire low end headphones), having them fix it for real. In the meantime, I am strongly considering an HD800S, but if my experience with the Sennheiser repair center continues to go south, I might just bail on Sennheiser entirely.
Posted By: toddy

Re: Open back headphones - 02/02/19 04:08 PM

Good luck with your dealings with Sennheiser. That's very poor performance and service IMO. I'm not sure how much the HD800 cost but anything over $100 should give trouble free performance for at other very least 10 years.

Re: Open back headphones - 02/02/19 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by toddy
Good luck with your dealings with Sennheiser. That's very poor performance and service IMO. I'm not sure how much the HD800 cost but anything over $100 should give trouble free performance for at other very least 10 years.

They were at least $1000 new. As I understand it, their service is even worse for expensive headphones than less expensive ones. As an example, they have a replacement program (which they mistakenly told me my HD800s were covered by, which is why I sent them in), but it doesn't cover their high-end headphones. So instead, on the high-end headphones, I have to deal with proposals for B.S. unnecessary repairs just to move the conversation along to the next stage of solving the real problem. (BTW, I did just send them the email just now agreeing to their proposal to sell me another unnecessary $150 headphone cable as long as they will fix the real problem too!)
Posted By: RichieBill

Re: Open back headphones - 08/04/19 01:27 PM

Hi Everyone!
How would you recommend Grado headphones SR60/80 for piano?

Re: Open back headphones - 08/04/19 03:37 PM

I hope you get a response. Few people own Grados (I think). They're impossible to find in the shops. I've never seen them anywhere.

So I'd like to hear what people say. (I'd like it even more if they were available for demo in a store!)

My only reservation is that the Grados (all of them, I think) rest on the ears. I don't like things on the ears (or in the ears).
Posted By: bennevis

Re: Open back headphones - 08/04/19 04:46 PM

I have the Grados SR325 which was the second pair of headphones I bought to use with my digital (the first pair, AKG K271 Mk II, came free).

The sound of the Grados is truly amazing in its clarity and range - perfectly balanced across the whole frequency range, with tight bass (never boomy or unnatural) and clear trebles (never shrill). I thought the AKG was excellent until I used the Grados.

And it's just as good with my hi-fi system, or even my iPod (without using amp).

The clamping on the ears do get a little uncomfortable after an hour or so, but then I have big ears (all the better to hear with, as the wolf (a.k.a. Granny) said to Red Riding Hood wink ).

Re: Open back headphones - 08/04/19 07:53 PM

Somebody proposed me SR325i as a best headphones for piano but too expensive for me. Also suggested SR60 or better SR80.
My ATH-M50X are good as a monitor headphones but for everyday playing are a bit too sharp for me. I need something like AKG K550 in open back case with warm and sweet mid range.
Posted By: Sidokar

Re: Open back headphones - 08/04/19 08:52 PM

I hope you get a response. Few people own Grados (I think). They're impossible to find in the shops. I've never seen them anywhere.

So I'd like to hear what people say. (I'd like it even more if they were available for demo in a store!)

My only reservation is that the Grados (all of them, I think) rest on the ears. I don't like things on the ears (or in the ears).

I have owned a pair of Grados 325i. I powered them both my tubed amp and a solid state one. I find the bass to be slightly recessed with an emphasis on mid bass (but only a little) and especially medium. On the tubed amp, they sound great; clear and detailed and warm. On the solid state due to the shy bass and fairly prominent treble, they get tiring after a while; a bit too brilliant to my taste. In terms of comfort, they are really not great, its difficult to wear them a long time. Over the years I have owned or tried many headphones: Senn HD650, 598, 599, AKG 240 mk2, Q701, K712 Pro, Grados, Audio Technica, Beyer DT 990, electrostatic and planar as well.

All in all, it is a lot of matter of personal taste, some like more bass, or more medium, whatever. In terms of comfort, the ATH and AKG are the best but may tend to slip from the head if moving. Beyer would be fine too and clamp more but also stay better in place. Senn are fine too.

For Hi Fi my personal preference is the Senn HD650 (I exclude the HD800 which is way out in terms of pricing) powered with a Musical Fidelity and additional cables. It has a good sparkle in the high medium which I like and I dont mind the slightly muddy (dark) medium, which some people dislike. I tried the ATH 70R which is a very good headphone quite neutral but a little too much on the bright side, like the Beyer DT990.

When I am playing my Digital Piano (not too frequently as I also have a grand), I found that the AKG Q701 or the 712 pro with furutech cable works best for me. The main reason is that their bass is quite tight and not overpresent, so I dont have that bass resonate in my ear when I play some bass heavy sonatas; the medium are transparent, clear and the treble very smooth and silky. The Senn 650 are fine, but would have a little more bass and the med are not as well separated and their treble is not quite as silky. The ATH and Beyer are great but again a little too sparky on the top end for me.
Posted By: LXXXVIIIdentes

Re: Open back headphones - 08/05/19 05:00 AM

I own a pair of Grado RS2i headphones, which I use when I practice on My Roland LX15. I find them light and easy to wear. They use wood in the cups. The cord is thick, but does not tangle. I do not find them uncomfortable to wear for several hours.

I purchased them in 2014 at a decent sale price from a high end hifi store. (I believe they were the last pair the store had, and the model was being discontinued.)

I also own 2 older pairs of Beyer DT531 headphones, which allows me to play duets with another player, or someone to listen while I play. Upon first tryout at home of the Grados I thought that I preferred the Beyers, but soon realized that the Grados were much superior and clearer. Much tighter in the bass. None of these headphones are meant to be used away from home. (If I ever want to try out digital pianos seriously, I would definitely take them with me!)

All of my headphones are better than the speakers in the piano. I will admit that I am accustomed to listening to a high quality hifi system for recordings, with speakers alone that cost over double the price of the Roland. I also have an excellent high end acoustic grand, which is best of all these things, but using the Roland allows me both to practice silently and not wear out the hammers on the grand so much. I certainly prefer open back 'phones for my purposes.

I have had to replace ear pads on all of these headphones, but that is easy to do.

My only complaint is the price of all these gadgets.

Re: Open back headphones - 08/05/19 10:25 AM

Thanks for responses Guys but all these headphones (Q701/K712, SR325i, RS2i) which you mentioned above are much more expensive than SR60/80.
Currently I am considering second hand SR80 or new K702 but I don't know which one are warmer in mids.
Posted By: Sidokar

Re: Open back headphones - 08/05/19 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by RichieBill
Thanks for responses Guys but all these headphones (Q701/K712, SR325i, RS2i) which you mentioned above are much more expensive than SR60/80.
Currently I am considering second hand SR80 or new K702 but I don't know which one are warmer in mids.

You have to try them; for headphones comfort is very important if you plan to use them over long period of time and that varies for each person. The sense of warmth is always related to the overall balance. I have not listened to the ATH M50X but I looked at the response curve and the bass and mid bass are rather heavy so that usually tends to blur the mids. I dont know the SR80 but usually the character is similar to other ones in the same brand. The mids in the Grado (SR325) are quite neutral but because they have a tight and light bass you'll hear them more. Now if you find the ATH to be sharp in the treble, the Grado will be even more so; they typically have a peak at 2kH and 10kH that is really high. The AKG cans have a similar character, light bass, just a bit more presence in the mid and their treble peak is lower and overall with much less grain - the presentation is overall rather clear though.

Again better listen first, Grado not sure you can find one in a shop but the AKG are common.
Posted By: CyberGene

Re: Open back headphones - 08/05/19 09:23 PM

Grados are one of the most overrated headphones over there IMO. They’re not bad, at lest those costing 500 and more, but even they don’t sound better than any open back headphones from every other brand costing 100. And they are one of the most uncomfortable headphones for my ears. YMMV

Re: Open back headphones - 08/06/19 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by Sidokar

... Now if you find the ATH to be sharp in the treble, the Grado will be even more so
... The AKG cans have a similar character,

Oh no!!!
Originally Posted by CyberGene
Grados are one of the most overrated headphones over there IMO.
... even they don’t sound better than any open back headphones from every other brand costing 100.
... And they are one of the most uncomfortable headphones for my ears.

Wow shocked I am broken cry
Any recommendations for low impedance, open back headphones with warm mids, C.A. £100 price?

Re: Open back headphones - 08/06/19 02:57 AM

Well thanks for your replies, everybody. I started this thread back in December of 2018 and just in the last while it's been picked up by people again and more discussion has ensued. But just to let you know that I took your advice back in January and February, went shopping, and finally bought a pair of open-backed headphones. Couldn't be happier with them. They're Audio-technica's, ATH-R70x, plus an amp. Lovely things, I use them a lot, playing keyboard, listening to music on computer, turntable, CD player. Everything sounds better and the comfort of the open backs is wonderful. So thanks to all for taking the time to participate in the discussion, I'm still reading some of the later additions to what turned into a lengthy, fascinating discussion.
Posted By: Zaphod

Re: Open back headphones - 08/06/19 12:38 PM

Good to hear. A decent pair of open backed headphones + A decent amp = A wonderful thing.

Re: Open back headphones - 08/06/19 05:49 PM

I bought Grado SR60, which I am happy, much more than my ATH-M50X.
Thanks for responses anyway.
Posted By: Zaphod

Re: Open back headphones - 08/09/19 12:50 AM

Originally Posted by RichieBill
I bought Grado SR60, which I am happy, much more than my ATH-M50X.
Thanks for responses anyway.

Are they the kind of retro small headphones that kind of sit on the ear rather than around the ear? How do you find them for comfort and sound quality?
Posted By: johnstaf

Re: Open back headphones - 08/09/19 02:18 AM

Originally Posted by Zaphod
[
Are they the kind of retro small headphones that kind of sit on the ear rather than around the ear? How do you find them for comfort and sound quality?

I like Grado headphones. Some people find them uncomfortable for long stretches, but I think they're perfectly fine.

Re: Open back headphones - 08/09/19 12:48 PM

I've used Grados for twenty/thirty years and find them very very good phones. I recommend the SR80 for budget-oriented needs... about $100 on Amazon. I've worn them out.. replaced them etc. I ended up using their RS-2, higher end phones as my hi fidelity set up.

However, my RS-2 developed a channel imbalance so I sought new phones and purchased Focal Clear. I am happy... but the Focals are very expensive. Regarding Grado comfort... yes they are not the most comfortable out there but they are not uncomfortable.

Having written this, something really good happened to the headphone market in the past 5 years or so.. it exploded. New companies entered the market, established companies released new and improved product, and 'net is loaded with reviewers and writing. So while I was a Grado fan, there are other great product out there.

My recommendation for phones is the same for speakers: you really need to try them out. There are still stereo stores out there that have a selection to try. Phones are like speakers/monitors in that they present sound very differently. Frequency response curves are irrelevant. Phones are almost impossible to measure properly and they will behave and sound differently on your bumpy head and goofy ear shapes.

The only review site I really respect is https://www.innerfidelity.com/ Their main guy Tyl Hertsens left but this is still a good site... how they review and measure: https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/headphone-measurment-proceedures-introduction-and-equipment.

Good luck. With the loss of brick and mortar retail and the rise of teenage 'net experts... it is sorry state for finding something you will like.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Re: Open back headphones - 08/09/19 01:22 PM

I wish more people would recognize this ...
Frequency response curves are irrelevant. Phones are almost impossible to measure properly and they will behave and sound differently on your bumpy head and goofy ear shapes.
... though I'm not comfortable thinking about bumpy heads and goofy ears.

Re: Open back headphones - 08/09/19 02:10 PM

Are they the kind of retro small headphones that kind of sit on the ear rather than around the ear?

Yes

How do you find them for comfort and sound quality?

Originally Posted by johnstaf
I like Grado headphones. Some people find them uncomfortable for long stretches, but I think they're perfectly fine.

They are enough comfortable on ears, not pressing too much, like I have read somewhere.
Sound is warm especially in mids. High frequencies are not killing ears but bass is a bit too warm but not bother me, especially for piano soun d and for this price £32 (I bought used).
Next week I am expecting for SR80 to compare with SR60.

Re: Open back headphones - 08/09/19 02:59 PM

You will find the 80 have more extended bass and a bigger sound overall. That is why I recommend them over the 60 for a few dollars more. Regardless both have the same "sound" and are good phones. Honestly, I would go for more expensive headphones if you can swing the more money... and you will have a larger selection of brands to choose from. Not that these two Grados are not good, they are the best IMO of budget phones, it is just that good sound is so very important for getting all that is in these wonderful keyboard sounds, that you really need higher fidelity 'phones to match these great keyboards of today.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Re: Open back headphones - 08/09/19 03:52 PM

I would go for more expensive headphones if you can swing the more money... and you will have a larger selection of brands to choose from. Not that these two Grados are not good, they are the best IMO of budget phones,

I know and I wish to buy more expensive headphones but I can't afford at this moment, that way I looked for something in budget level. SR80 which I will try on next week are the same condition, second hand. Maybe SR325i in the future - I will see.

Re: Open back headphones - 08/16/19 02:02 AM

Hi
Today I got Grado SR80. They sounds significantly better than SR60, which already I've decided to sell.
SR80 sounds more clearly and open in the whole band, which is the most noticeable in acoustic music examples (piano, vocals, trumpets, violins, etc). Sound of the SR60 already seems to me a little bit pale right now. Bass of SR80 is significantly better, is more resonantly but still not boomy. The midrange is even more songful, which makes me happy, because I wanted a warm middle for piano, and there it is! The trebles on the SR60 already seems to me a bit thin, compared to richer and warmer in SR80.
So, for now I stay with SR80. I know, I could go further now and comparing other, higher models, such as SR125, 225 or 325, but the decision of keeping budget rules for temporary headphones keeps me in check. Maybe after 2 years I will go to something higher but it will see.
So far SR80 makes me happy smile
© 2019 Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums