Piano World Home Page
Posted By: kostek525 What piano VST should I choose? - 01/22/18 03:32 PM
I've already tried some, like synthogy ivory ii but it was only couple of pianos to play like bosendorf, yamaha c7, steinway concert d
From all those pianos I definetely put steinway concert far higher than others. I really aim for something like that steinway with that nocturne-ballade-ish sound but the problem with this is the dynamics. There is fortissimo barely noticable, it doesn't really scale the stronger i press key the louder it sounds from some point. Also, the higher notes seem to be pitching too much
Other pianos are crap to be honest... I also tried The Grandeur or Keyscape but they sound so flat imo... What would you suggest? Maybe just change settings? Could you share some? :P
Posted By: newer player Re: What piano VST should I choose? - 01/22/18 04:25 PM
If you are interested in new releases, Production Voices must be completing their Steinway D "Concert Grand"

http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2655965/re-steinway-d-concert-grand.html
Posted By: Osho Re: What piano VST should I choose? - 01/22/18 04:34 PM
I would suggest trying Pianoteq 6 (there is a demo version) and/or Garritan CFX - depending on whether you like the modelled or sampled sound. Personally, I have and enjoy both.

Osho
Posted By: kostek525 Re: What piano VST should I choose? - 01/22/18 04:39 PM
Originally Posted by Osho
I would suggest trying Pianoteq 6 (there is a demo version) and/or Garritan CFX - depending on whether you like the modelled or sampled sound. Personally, I have and enjoy both.

Osho

Could you give me settings you use for garritan? I noticed that changing settings give A LOT but i am not skilled enough to do that properly.
Posted By: MacMacMac Re: What piano VST should I choose? - 01/23/18 01:08 AM
I really like the Grandeur. What does it mean when you say it sounds "flat"?

As for other Steinways ... the Vintage D got lots of attention here when it was new years ago. Newer VST pianos have come along, and all talk about the Vintage D has faded.

But I still have it, and I use it, and I love it. It does NOT have the dynamic problems that you've noted in the other pianos. This one has a BIG range. I highly recommend it.

If you like Steinway and you want big dynamics, this is the one.
Originally Posted by kostek525
I've already tried some, like synthogy ivory ii but it was only couple of pianos to play like bosendorf, yamaha c7, steinway concert d
From all those pianos I definetely put steinway concert far higher than others. I really aim for something like that steinway with that nocturne-ballade-ish sound but the problem with this is the dynamics. There is fortissimo barely noticable, it doesn't really scale the stronger i press key the louder it sounds from some point. Also, the higher notes seem to be pitching too much
Other pianos are crap to be honest... I also tried The Grandeur or Keyscape but they sound so flat imo... What would you suggest? Maybe just change settings? Could you share some? :P
Posted By: Fleer Re: What piano VST should I choose? - 01/23/18 04:53 AM
Check out Bechstein Digital Grand by ... Bechstein: https://www.bechstein-digital.com
Posted By: dmd Re: What piano VST should I choose? - 01/23/18 05:18 AM
Could you give me settings you use for garritan? I noticed that changing settings give A LOT but i am not skilled enough to do that properly.

Nobody is.

You just have to do stuff and see how it sounds.
Posted By: kostek525 Re: What piano VST should I choose? - 01/23/18 07:56 PM
Yeah but I'd really appreciate if you took screenshot of your the grandeur, cfx garritan or synthogy ivorry 2 settings, just to have some starting point..
Posted By: Osho Re: What piano VST should I choose? - 01/24/18 04:26 PM
Yeah but I'd really appreciate if you took screenshot of your the grandeur, cfx garritan or synthogy ivorry 2 settings, just to have some starting point..

I don't know if I have the 'best' settings but I can do this over the weekend.

Osho
Posted By: kostek525 Re: What piano VST should I choose? - 01/28/18 01:30 AM

Osho

I'd appreciate it
Posted By: Gabriel Hikaru Re: What piano VST should I choose? - 01/28/18 08:41 AM
I use Philip Johnston's settings, which you can find here: http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2599260 (Pictures of the settings are halfway down the page.)

I modified the velocity curve and dynamic response to match my keyboard better.
Posted By: karvala Re: What piano VST should I choose? - 01/28/18 12:12 PM
If the problem is getting it loud enough and with sufficient dynamic contrast, then ensure that the dynamic range is turned up and, frankly, that the volume is turned up. Philip has his at 89% on the CFX, mine is also around there at 90%, and it really does give a very wide dynamic range; noticeably wider than any of my other instruments.
Posted By: Osho Re: What piano VST should I choose? - 01/28/18 08:12 PM

Osho

I'd appreciate it

Here are some images. A few notes:
  • I started from Philip Johnston's settings and changed a few things to suit my preferences.
  • I change two things often. I recommend you try these settings out yourself to see which ones you like.
    • Ambinet mic - I often dial these down a lot when I want to hear more dry sound - especially when practicing for long hours - where too much reverb can be tiring for ears
    • Dynamic range: I change from 50 to 80 depending on my mood and the music I am playing.
  • AT 48kHz sample rate and 64 buffer size, I feel there is no lag or latency. It feels very easy to connect to and play as if I am playing a real piano. I don't have any dropped notes etc.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Osho
Posted By: bSharp(C)yclist Re: What piano VST should I choose? - 01/28/18 09:02 PM
I see it's $80 to buy the Lite, and then 100 to upgrade, but 200 to buy the Concert Grand to begin with. What am I missing?
Posted By: Gombessa Re: What piano VST should I choose? - 01/28/18 10:21 PM
Sometimes there's a difference because of a sale on Lite, but they're is usually a sale on full to make up the difference.

I was going to price arbitrage an upgrade from Lite to Upgraded Full when Lite was on sale for $59, but as it turned out Full was also reduced to $159 so I ended up just getting Full in the first place.
Posted By: RichieBill Re: What piano VST should I choose? - 01/28/18 11:15 PM
My opinion is: don't look at too much on opinins, cause everyone have a different requirements and goals. Choose YOUR the most favorite sound, timbre (I mean - german, austrian, american or japanese) and find the best one each them.
Personally I regret, that I did't buy long time ago Ivory Grand Pianos just for Hamburg Steinway - it's my beloved tone.
Posted By: gskmeva123 Re: What piano VST should I choose? - 01/30/18 07:44 AM
Quick answer: take a listen to what's available on YouTube and make a judgement.

Here are some of my opinions from my experience:

Garritan CFX Lite - I currently use this one and got it on sale for about $54. It's a nice piano with great sound. Maybe will upgrade to full someday but for now, I'm happy.

Ivory Keys - the American and Vintage D piano is nice. If you can afford it, it's definitely worth it. Classic Steinway sound.

Imperfect Samples (Fazioli) - Nice sample but like the name of the VST, it's not perfect. There are some noise in several keys at certain velocities. Also, it seems the company is not too active anymore.

PianoTeq - Definitely one of the best software emulated piano VST and each generation gets better. Doesn't take much disk space and computer requirement isn't high. They have a free demo available. But if you have a good ear and want the best sound or realistic piano sound, PianoTeq might disappoint. For me, it still sounds “emulated".
Posted By: QuinGold Re: What piano VST should I choose? - 01/31/18 05:54 AM
Does anyone own the PV Death Piano library?
https://www.productionvoices.com/product/death-piano/

It's on sale for $39.
Posted By: QuinGold Re: What piano VST should I choose? - 01/31/18 06:39 AM
Originally Posted by MacMacMac

As for other Steinways ... the Vintage D got lots of attention here when it was new years ago. Newer VST pianos have come along, and all talk about the Vintage D has faded.

But I still have it, and I use it, and I love it. It does NOT have the dynamic problems that you've noted in the other pianos. This one has a BIG range. I highly recommend it.

I'm fairly new to VSTs. I assume you are referring to Galaxy Instruments Vintage D?
http://www.galaxy-instruments.com/vintage-d.html

Thanks.
Posted By: MacMacMac Re: What piano VST should I choose? - 01/31/18 03:10 PM
Yes, Galaxy Vintage D.
Posted By: dmd Re: What piano VST should I choose? - 01/31/18 03:52 PM
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
... the Vintage D got lots of attention here when it was new years ago. Newer VST pianos have come along, and all talk about the Vintage D has faded.

I would have to agree.

It is just a very nice, clean sounding piano.

I use it also from time to time just to hear a nice piano tone as I play with headphones.

All the hype associated with newer VSTs never seems to quite live up to the high plateau they are placed on.
Posted By: Frédéric L Re: What piano VST should I choose? - 01/31/18 05:56 PM
Galaxy Vintage D (and other Galaxy and Ivory) can be tested on try-sound.com.
Posted By: CyberGene Re: What piano VST should I choose? - 01/31/18 08:54 PM
Vintage is still my favorite timbre of them all. It’s such a shame half-pedaling is badly implemented. It just gets the momentary pedal position but there’s no continuous control. Repedaling works only once, you can’t repedal twice in a row, etc, etc. What Jeff did with his scripts on CFX is simply stunning, he just did everything right! It’s as playable as a modeled piano IMO. But Vintage D has better timbre for my taste. There’s no perfect world frown
Posted By: Alexander Borro Re: What piano VST should I choose? - 01/31/18 09:45 PM
Originally Posted by CyberGene
Vintage is still my favorite timbre of them all. It’s such a shame half-pedaling is badly implemented. It just gets the momentary pedal position but there’s no continuous control. Repedaling works only once, you can’t repedal twice in a row, etc, etc. What Jeff did with his scripts on CFX is simply stunning, he just did everything right! It’s as playable as a modeled piano IMO. But Vintage D has better timbre for my taste. There’s no perfect world frown

I wonder if you would actually like the ivory pianos Steinways, you can try them on try-sound as Frederic said, half and re pedalling is supported. I just like the tone/timbre, but there is also a German steinway, though unfortunately you have to buy the pack of three if you want the German version, and the bossy and yamaha C7 in that pack I didn't care for so much.

I know I struggled to decide at the time whether to buy the vintage D or ACD, it could well have been a toss up, but I had to pick something, both were available on try-sound, I think vintage D still is too, and they got the Ivory studio grands now as well. try-sound has horrible latency to make realtime playing almost impossible, but still I found it better than nothing to get an idea, and midi files play back is okayish. These days you can use try-sound directly in a DAW via a plugin, so can use your own midi files to play back too.

Anyway, in the end I went with Ivory ACD after I tried both. I know Ivory does not get talked about these days, it has its own quirks, and doesn't really a have a great player perspective or extra mics and stuff like that, but overall it is still a favourite of mine close to my heart.
Posted By: QuinGold Re: What piano VST should I choose? - 02/01/18 06:43 PM
Originally Posted by Frédéric L
Galaxy Vintage D (and other Galaxy and Ivory) can be tested on try-sound.com.

Thank you! I wasn't aware of that site. The tutorial videos from Galaxy are great - I'm learning a lot about piano mechanics! Nice sound too.

Silly question: But I assume that if I buy a Yamaha AvantGrand there is no reason to buy a Yamaha virtual piano (esp. since the AG has 4-mic sampling sent to each of the four speakers - something I wouldn't get from a third party). I think I should just focus on adding a nice Steinway.
Posted By: Frédéric L Re: What piano VST should I choose? - 02/01/18 06:52 PM
Of course, a virtual piano will lack the multi channel sampling. My main use is whith headphones : it doesn’t matter, virtual piano will bring me choice, whole note sampling (from the attack to a late decay).
Posted By: karvala Re: What piano VST should I choose? - 02/01/18 07:13 PM
Originally Posted by QuinGold

Silly question: But I assume that if I buy a Yamaha AvantGrand there is no reason to buy a Yamaha virtual piano (esp. since the AG has 4-mic sampling sent to each of the four speakers - something I wouldn't get from a third party). I think I should just focus on adding a nice Steinway.

The reason is that some Yamaha virtual pianos are a lot nicer than the builtin ones on the AvantGrand. I think the AvantGrand CFX sound is not bad, and probably as good as any builtin DP sound I've heard, but the Garritan CFX is still in a totally different class as far as sound quality goes, and playability is not far behind.

I'll offer an alternative opinion on the Vintage D while I'm here. It's good, I don't disagree with that; it's main strength is its immediacy and clarity and if you're into that timbre, it's nice. But I have no hesitation in saying that, quite apart from the pedal issues and minor scripting bugs, it has a sustain problem; the decay is simply too rapid. It limits its usability in certain repertoire in my view. Not everyone will agree, though.
Posted By: Osho Re: What piano VST should I choose? - 02/01/18 07:21 PM
Originally Posted by QuinGold

BTW, there are 2 different Yamaha AvantGrand sounds, older N1, N2, N3 and the newer N3X. If you are referring to older sound, there is a significant improvement with Garritan CFX etc. With the CFX sample in newer N3X - I haven't yet heard it so don't know that yet.

Osho
Posted By: QuinGold Re: What piano VST should I choose? - 02/01/18 07:59 PM
Thanks Osho, yes, I'm referring to new N3X samples.

I get the reason for lots of different pianos: I found that depending on the repertoire, one piano just feels "right" while on another day it's not working. With Pianoteq, I find myself using the Bluthner a lot for recording the pieces for 40 Pieces a Year. I haven't found the Gotrian to fit anything (yet) although I like the sound of it.
Posted By: dmd Re: What piano VST should I choose? - 02/01/18 09:11 PM
Originally Posted by karvala
I'll offer an alternative opinion on the Vintage D while I'm here. It's good, I don't disagree with that; it's main strength is its immediacy and clarity and if you're into that timbre, it's nice. But I have no hesitation in saying that, quite apart from the pedal issues and minor scripting bugs, it has a sustain problem; the decay is simply too rapid.

I agree .... the decay time is short. I have never had it really affect my playing but it is on the short side.
© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums