Piano World Home Page
Posted By: jamess Digital piano headphones - 03/05/17 01:21 PM
Hi all,

Been using my yamaha ydp161 with Sennheiser eH250 Evolution headphones for quite a few years now. I thought the headphones were quite good but looking at Amazon reviews I'm now not so sure & I've no way of comparison. Can anyone recommend any new ones? Thanks
Posted By: Bosendorff Re: Digital piano headphones - 03/05/17 02:05 PM
I've tested quite a few and ended up choosing Shure SRH840.
Posted By: NighhhT Re: Digital piano headphones - 03/05/17 02:48 PM
You got a lot of options, and a lot of it depends on your own taste.
I like neutral and a little bright headphones (sound signature) for piano playing, a good cheap headphone on this category is the Samson SR850 this are really good headphones for their price.

There's a lot of headphones that fit in this category like the Beyerdynamic Dt990, AKG K702, AKG Q 701 and a lot of others as well.

Neutral and warm headphones are also good headphones for almost everything you want to listen/play (this also depends on your taste), you got the HD 558/598 and the new HD 559/599, and others as well.

Neutral headphones are the most versatile headphones out there but for a lot of people they are too analytical and not fun to listen to, the HD 600 fit in this category.
I personally own a few headphones: Takstar Pro 80 (little bit bass heavy) , HD 558 (Neutral/warm) and a pair of Samson SR850 (Neutral/Bright)

It depends on your ears, If you can try the headphones before buying them that would be the best way to choose.
Posted By: Goss Re: Digital piano headphones - 03/05/17 04:35 PM
Unless you play so loud your ears melt and people around you reach for wads of cotton, go for open back headphones - much better sound. The sound will be less between your ears and more out there.

Sennheiser HD558 is great value for money I found.
Posted By: Digitalguy Re: Digital piano headphones - 03/05/17 07:31 PM
HD598 are great for piano. At $150 they offer great value for money. I found them at 90 EUR but that was during Black Friday... rarely money has been so well spent
Posted By: Charles Cohen Re: Digital piano headphones - 03/05/17 07:50 PM
Originally Posted by jamess
Hi all,

Been using my yamaha ydp161 with Sennheiser eH250 Evolution headphones for quite a few years now. I thought the headphones were quite good but looking at Amazon reviews I'm now not so sure & I've no way of comparison. Can anyone recommend any new ones? Thanks

First suggestion:

. . . If you think they're OK, and they're comfortable, keep them.

New headphones won't improve your playing.

Second suggestion:

There are lots of "which headphone?" threads here, at various prices. You'll find that there's a lot of subjectivity, and different opinions.

If you like closed-back phones, I use Sennheiser HD280 ("old design", now) and like them. The HD380 is a more-recent possibility.

I also have a pair of AKG K240 "Studio" phones. Open-back, and IMHO not as comfortable as the HD280's -- but my ears don't sweat while wearing them. I'm undecided about the sound -- haven't done enough "critical listening" with them.

Those phones are both under $100 US, so in the same category as your EH 250's.

Posted By: haydnseek Re: Digital piano headphones - 03/05/17 11:25 PM
I'm very happy with my Phillips SHP9500. Bought it online for $60 and it sounds great. Nice and open sounds good with classical/piano.
Posted By: Hendrik42 Re: Digital piano headphones - 03/06/17 05:11 PM
Originally Posted by Digitalguy
HD598 are great for piano. At $150 they offer great value for money. I found them at 90 EUR but that was during Black Friday... rarely money has been so well spent

Same here. Really good, those.
Posted By: tangothomas Re: Digital piano headphones - 03/06/17 05:36 PM
Last week they sold Philips Fidelio X2 in Sweden for 990 SEK. A special price I' ve seen before. Approx 117 USD. Perhaps you can find same deal where you live. They are better than S 598.
Posted By: Dave Horne Re: Digital piano headphones - 03/06/17 05:55 PM
Originally Posted by Hendrik42
Originally Posted by Digitalguy

Same here. Really good, those.

I'm also very happy with my Sennheiser's.
Posted By: Gombessa Re: Digital piano headphones - 03/06/17 05:58 PM
Another vote for the Sennheiser HD598, I'm sure there are better phones out there but these sound so good, are extremely light and comfortable, and as they're open-back they're airy and open sounding and don't make you feel like you're sitting in some anechoic chamber.
Posted By: Goss Re: Digital piano headphones - 03/06/17 06:28 PM
..the comfort of the sennheisers is indeed excellent yes. They do clamp your head pretty well, but not uncomfortably so; the effect is they will not move around on your head once in place - a sudden movement will not have them fall off or shift about - but you forget you are wearing them within minutes.

Posted By: trigalg693 Re: Digital piano headphones - 03/06/17 06:45 PM
I like to shoot for flatter frequency response headphones, but also stick to a budget since I don't treat them that nicely.

I practice with Grado SR60, been very pleased with them, and they're only 80 dollars or something.
© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums