Piano World Home Page
Posted By: Dave Horne Duct tape ... a tip - 02/01/16 05:41 PM
I have my CP5 set up in my living room across from my N3. When I use the CP5 on jobs I'll invariably use duct tape to secure the sustain pedal in place.

There were remnants of tape on that pedal and I decided to clean it up.

The tip ... don't use cheap duct tape.

I used duct tape purchased at one of those discount stores with unbelievably low prices. It took me at least 30 minutes to remove that tape. I used GooGone to help dissolve what was left after I removed the tape and I was forced to use a plastic knife to scrape off the tape wouldn't come off.

This chore was a real FPITA. I have since bought a name brand duct tape and I trust this will work better.

As you were ...
Posted By: rocket88 Re: Duct tape ... a tip - 02/01/16 05:46 PM
Never use duct tape.

Use Gaffers tape. It looks like duct tape, does what duct tape does but does not leave a sticky residue.

Music and movie pros use it all the time, hence its name: "Gaffer," the electrician on a stage set.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaffer_tape
Posted By: Dave Horne Re: Duct tape ... a tip - 02/01/16 05:49 PM
Originally Posted by rocket88
Never use duct tape.

Use Gaffers tape. It looks like duct tape, does what duct tape does but does not leave a sticky residue. Music and movie pros use it all the time, hence its name.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaffer_tape

Good point! I'll try the tape I just bought and if it doesn't remove cleanly I'll spend even more money for gaffers tape.

Posted By: rocket88 Re: Duct tape ... a tip - 02/01/16 05:50 PM
Gaffer's tape is more expensive than most duct tapes, unfortunately.
Posted By: Charles Cohen Re: Duct tape ... a tip - 02/01/16 07:16 PM
Originally Posted by rocket88
Gaffer's tape is more expensive than most duct tapes, unfortunately.

Not after you add the cost of Goo-Gone to the price of duct tape.<g>

Posted By: wouter79 Re: Duct tape ... a tip - 02/01/16 07:24 PM
Usually duct tape remainders can be removed easily with white spirit. And only white spirit, other stuff seems not to work.

When I use the CP5 on jobs I'll invariably use duct tape to secure the sustain pedal in place

confused

You mean, you tape it in permanent sustan?
Posted By: FrankCox Re: Duct tape ... a tip - 02/01/16 08:59 PM
Something that I've found to work better than goo gone is a similar product that's called goof off. I use goof off to clean chewing gum off of my theatre seats, tar and black scuff marks off of the floor tiles, etc. Works well, though the smell is pretty awful - it smells like turpentine.

Note that if you're cleaning waxed floor tiles it will take the wax off, and if you're cleaning something that was painted with latex paint it will take the paint off. It doesn't touch oil-based paint, though.
Posted By: Scott Hamlin Re: Duct tape ... a tip - 02/01/16 09:22 PM
Yep - Gaff tape is very pricey, buy worth. And make sure you hide it well because everyone will want to "borrow" some. (How the heck do you "borrow" tape, anyway?"). You may also want to try that blue "painters" tape. Doesn't leave a residue and is cheaper than gaff tape. Just not as heave-duty. I've also heard of people using anti-slip mats to keep pedals in place. Whatever works for you.
Posted By: jokke Re: Duct tape ... a tip - 02/01/16 10:21 PM
Originally Posted by wouter79

When I use the CP5 on jobs I'll invariably use duct tape to secure the sustain pedal in place

confused

You mean, you tape it in permanent sustain?

I have to admit I laughed out loud on this one. What a great idea!
Posted By: Scott Hamlin Re: Duct tape ... a tip - 02/01/16 11:21 PM
Originally Posted by jokke
Originally Posted by wouter79

confused

You mean, you tape it in permanent sustain?

I have to admit I laughed out loud on this one. What a great idea!

Me too, but in a sad way. My pedal technique is similar to my driving. FLOOR IT!
Posted By: RaggedKeyPresser Re: Duct tape ... a tip - 02/02/16 02:55 PM
If somebody tries to borrow it, then inform them that tape can never be borrowed, neither in practice nor in theory.
Posted By: wouter79 Re: Duct tape ... a tip - 02/02/16 05:25 PM
There's no problem at all when borrowing tape. In theory, when borrowed items are returned, they return in worse shape. Tape is no exception.
Posted By: moleskincrusher Re: Duct tape ... a tip - 02/02/16 06:28 PM
Why not just get a keyboard stand that solves the prob of a wandering pedal and obviates the need for tape? Two examples: Ultimate Support V-Stand; Quik Lok Monolith.

Dave Horne: Don't you still have the Monolith stand (which I bought on your recommendation on this Forum, and love)? Further, my Roland pedal has a rubber-type extension strip on which I place my heel.
Posted By: Dave Horne Re: Duct tape ... a tip - 02/02/16 07:00 PM
Originally Posted by moleskincrusher
Why not just get a keyboard stand that solves the prob of a wandering pedal and obviates the need for tape? Two examples: Ultimate Support V-Stand; Quik Lok Monolith.

Dave Horne: Don't you still have the Monolith stand (which I bought on your recommendation on this Forum, and love)? Further, my Roland pedal has a rubber-type extension strip on which I place my heel.

Yep, I still have that Monolith. Sometimes I want the security of knowing that the pedal wouldn't move a fraction of an inch no matter what happens.

I had the same Roland pedal as you ... and I didn't realize the function of that rubber extension strip until many years later. Boy did I feel dumb when that dawned on me.
Posted By: ClsscLib Re: Duct tape ... a tip - 02/03/16 01:37 AM
Originally Posted by moleskincrusher

I really love the design of the Roland sustain pedal, with the flip-out heel pad that prevents all slippage. Brilliant.
© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums