Piano World Home Page
Posted By: EP Casio PX-160 Half-pedalling - 12/04/15 12:27 PM
Does anybody know if any single pedal (not the Casio 3-pedal unit) works with half-pedalling on the PX-160? Perhaps the Roland DP-10?
I'm thinking of getting the PX-160 for a "travel" keyboard (so much lighter than my MP-11!)
Posted By: Beakybird Re: Casio PX-160 Half-pedalling - 12/04/15 02:42 PM
The Casio keyboard is only capable of half pedaling with the proprietary 3 pedal unit. Maybe, if you use the Casio through a laptop, you can plug a pedal into the computer.

You can spend $120 on the MIDI Solutions footswitch controller and get a cheap MIDI interface.

I can't find it, but I know that there is (was) a company that made a small programmable 1/4" to USB device for around $50. I cannot find it. You might want to go into a MIDI forum and ask around.
Posted By: EP Re: Casio PX-160 Half-pedalling - 12/04/15 04:36 PM
Originally Posted by Beakybird
The Casio keyboard is only capable of half pedaling with the proprietary 3 pedal unit.

Do you know this for sure - have you tried plugging a pedal like the Roland DP-10 into the 1/4" plug? I'm not planning to use it with a computer so a midi box is not useful for me.
Posted By: Charles Cohen Re: Casio PX-160 Half-pedalling - 12/04/15 05:00 PM
Originally Posted by EP
Originally Posted by Beakybird
The Casio keyboard is only capable of half pedaling with the proprietary 3 pedal unit.

Do you know this for sure - have you tried plugging a pedal like the Roland DP-10 into the 1/4" plug? I'm not planning to use it with a computer so a midi box is not useful for me.

PMFJI --

Yes, I have. That jack has two contacts, suitable for a simple "on/off" sustain pedal like the M-Audio SP-2 (which works very well).

If the PX-160 is the same as the PX-150 (my bet), Beakybird has nailed the possibilities. Except for one:

. . . Take a Casio triple-pedal unit, and cut off (unscrew?)
. . . the plastic mounting bar.

That would give you a "travel-size" triple-pedal unit, compatible with the PX-160. You could solve "slip-and-slide" problems with a bit of ingenuity.

When you say "I'm planning to use it with a computer" --

. . . What does that mean?

If you're going to be using "virtual piano" software, that supports half-pedalling, Beakybird's MIDI suggestion is a good one.

Posted By: EP Re: Casio PX-160 Half-pedalling - 12/04/15 05:09 PM
I said I'm not planning on using it with a computer, as Beakybird had suggested.
Posted By: Charles Cohen Re: Casio PX-160 Half-pedalling - 12/05/15 03:24 AM
Originally Posted by EP
I said I'm not planning on using it with a computer, as Beakybird had suggested.

Oops -- sorry!

© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums