Piano World Home Page
Good afternoon folks,

I'm delighted to announce that the English version of Kawai's 'Touch Notation' scoring app is now available for iOS in the AppStore.

Touch Notation: https://itunes.apple.com/app/id890358046
Touch Notation Free: https://itunes.apple.com/app/id905828734

The paid version of the app is currently being offered at a special introductory price of $7.99 (33% off) until the end of the month, whereupon it will return to the standard price of $11.99.

The free version has a few saving/exporting restrictions, but is otherwise fully functional.

Regardless of whether you're used to scoring music with a pen/pencil or a mouse, please feel free to give Touch Notation a try and let us know what you think.

Kind regards,
James
x
A cool app at a reasonable price, increases the pressure on me to get an iPad. smirk
That looks impressive James. I'll definitely try it out. Do you know, can it do lead sheets too, i.e, can it recognize chord symbols? Also can it display guitar tabs for accompaniment chords?
Is there any iOS device with an input pen, of which the "Touch Notation" app would benefit from?

I think of a device like a Samsung Galaxy Note, which features a digital pen.

Iophiomys,
you can get a stylus that works with iOS devices. They're possibly more comfortable than simply using a finger, but I'm not sure if they are any more precise.
Originally Posted by lophiomys
Is there any iOS device with an input pen, of which the "Touch Notation" app would benefit from?

Not yet, but perhaps that will change with the introduction of the iPad Pro later this year?
Until then, and for all other iOS users, there are plenty of options available for those looking to use a touch pen with their device.

Kind regards,
James
x
Can the app be used as a music reader as well; like forScore?
Originally Posted by fizikisto
That looks impressive James. I'll definitely try it out. Do you know, can it do lead sheets too, i.e, can it recognize chord symbols? Also can it display guitar tabs for accompaniment chords?

Chord input and accompaniment backgrounds are available as in-app purchase, however guitar tab input is currently not possible.

King regards,
James
x
Good show, James.

Instresting that Kawai is interested in sinking $$$ into iOS software. Maybe it's to have a presence on the app store for marketing purposes?

Originally Posted by ElmerJFudd
Instresting that Kawai is interested in sinking $$$ into iOS software. Maybe it's to have a presence on the app store for marketing purposes?

Kawai is pretty serious about music software. They produce a number of products, including a couple of other iOS offerings, for sale in Japan. You can get some information about this if you ask Google to translate:

http://cmusic.kawai.jp/products/index.htm

I think a more interesting question would be whether they intend to follow the lead of Korg and others, and begin producing virtual instruments for iOS and other platforms!

Cheers,

B.
Not available outside the US apparently.... frown
Indeed, some beautifully sampled Kawai pianos in Software would be great... Especially for products like the VPC-1. You know I also really enjoyed the K series synths when Kawai was working in that area. Still have a K1 I pull out of storage now and again for nostalgia.
James,

Downloaded free. Liked it. Bought paid. Very much liked it. Bought full sound set.

I'm using this on an iPad Mini. Even with the small screen, it is excellent. The little circles take a bit of getting used to, but the manual is very well written. Of course, I've only used it for about 45 minutes total. smile

The export feature looks great. MIDI and Music XML export means I can load this into Sibelius. thumb thumb

In general, this is a great app. As a version 1.0 app, it is amazing. I predict major success.

Best regards,

Dan.
James, thanks! It's a really cool little app. I'll spread the word where I can. Hope that it's very successful. smile
The apps are not available in Thailand store. frown
Originally Posted by slowtraveler
I think a more interesting question would be whether they intend to follow the lead of Korg and others, and begin producing virtual instruments for iOS and other platforms!

Originally Posted by ElmerJFudd
You know I also really enjoyed the K series synths when Kawai was working in that area. Still have a K1 I pull out of storage now and again for nostalgia.

A virtual K5000 for iOS would be pretty awesome! wink

Cheers,
James
x
Originally Posted by Digitalguy
Not available outside the US apparently.... frown

Originally Posted by siros
The apps are not available in Thailand store. frown

Thank you for the information. I will ask the Computer Music team to double-check the situation and make the necessary changes to allow this app to be available in all markets.

Kind regards,
James
x
Originally Posted by Dan Clark
Downloaded free. Liked it. Bought paid. Very much liked it. Bought full sound set.

I'm using this on an iPad Mini. Even with the small screen, it is excellent. The little circles take a bit of getting used to, but the manual is very well written. Of course, I've only used it for about 45 minutes total. smile

The export feature looks great. MIDI and Music XML export means I can load this into Sibelius. thumb thumb

In general, this is a great app. As a version 1.0 app, it is amazing. I predict major success.

Best regards,

Dan.

Originally Posted by fizikisto
James, thanks! It's a really cool little app. I'll spread the word where I can. Hope that it's very successful. smile

Thank you very much for the positive feedback chaps!
I will certainly pass this on to my colleagues in the Computer Music division.

Kind regards,
James
x
James, perhaps you have already answered this question, but I wonder if there are any plans of migrating this app to Android (or Windows/Linux)
Hello Marcos,

I believe the Computer Music division are looking into the possibility of porting 'Touch Notation' to other platforms, however I don't believe any decisions have been made yet. I gather that the market for productivity apps on Android is relatively small compared to that of iOS.

I'd say Linux is highly unlikely, while Windows may be a possibility, given that we already have a number of music creation applications available for this platform (albeit in Japan only).

Kind regards,
James
x
Purchased! Looking forward to giving it a shot.
A well-written 4 page review of Touch Notation from SibeliusBlog.com:

http://www.sibeliusblog.com/news/touch-notation-by-kawai/

Kind regards,
James
x
Originally Posted by Kawai James
while Windows may be a possibility

Dear James,
This is great news. Are there any future plans to release Windows version of Virtual tecnician app for CA-97, too?
Cheers
Semih
I do not recommend using a real pencil with this app. crazy

I attempted to erase a note with my pencil's eraser, and ended up with a pinkish residue on my screen that simply will not come off despite many hours of wiping and swiping. f

For the record: I was using a #2 pencil; which works beautifully with my pad, yet for some reason does not seem to get along with my ipad. Go figure! grin
A well-written 4 page review of Touch Notation from SibeliusBlog.com:

http://www.sibeliusblog.com/news/touch-notation-by-kawai/

Kind regards,
James
x

James,

The second to last paragraph in the review is very interesting (bold highlight is mine):
Kawai has taken a great deal of care to work with, and around, the existing limitations of the Apple iOS and hardware, which aren’t as conducive to writing music by hand as a native pen-and-touch system like the Surface. If Touch Notation has an Achilles’ heel for now, it’s those OS and device limitations, but that could quickly change if Apple delivers an iPad Pro with a larger screen and pen technology, as has been rumored.

While not everyone is using the Apple ecosystem, there are a huge number of iPad/iPhone users. My reaction to the Windows Surface Pro software - NotateMe 3 and Staffpad - was "Meh. Nice software, but I'm NOT buying a Surface Pro just for notation!" While getting a iPad Pro may not be on my to-buy list now, it's just an extension of my current Apple ecosystem. I.e. it should not be much hassle to start using an iPad Pro.

Regards,

Dan.

p.s. I've only tried it a couple of times, but Touch Notation seems to work fairly well with a Pencil by FiftyThree Digital Stylus for iPad: http://www.amazon.com/Pencil-FiftyT...r=8-11&keywords=best+stylus+for+ipad
Thanks for the pen recommendation, Dan!

It remains to be seen if/when Apple will announce a new, larger, higher specification iPad. However, if the rumours and leaks are true, it could well compete with the Surface.

I agree about the Apple ecosystem, too. It's very convenient, but I prefer the flexibility of different platforms. Currently I use Windows, OS X, iOS, and Android across a range of devices.

Cheers,
James
x
Nice overview from Sweetwater:

Cheers,
James
x
I'd love to see a midi piano modelling app, like PianoTeq, available for the iPad.
Or imagine that built in to the next generation of digital pianos.
how much are the in-app purchases?

thank you
Frodimus,

Originally Posted by Frodimus
how much are the in-app purchases?

According to the Touch Notation page on the Appstore:

Sound Set: Full $4.99
Chord Name & Automatic Accompaniment $4.99
Handwritten Font $2.99
Core MIDI Output $2.99
Sound Set: Bell/Mallet $0.99
Sound Set: Vocal/Others $0.99
Sound Set: Brass/Woodwind $0.99

I hope this helps.

Kind regards,
James
x
This is yet another reason to motivate me to buy an iPad.
I am wondering... (dumb questions again)

I have a System of learning. They have work pages. Where there are three bars filled in with music. Then I'm expected to expand another three bars where the music should go (so to speak).
I inadvertently had to buy a new Canon printer. It will work wirelessly with anything. I take it I can scan those pages. Transfer to the iPad wirelessly. Work on them on the iPad with this. Then transfer back to the printer and print out.
????
Or I could scan to my OSX. Transfer to my iPad iOS. As long as it's a xml file I can do this on the iPad with this software. ?????
rnaple, Touch Notation does not support scanning/photographing sheet music and automatically converting to editable scores.

Kind regards,
James
x
thank you very much for the infos, james!

i have not seen this!
rnaple, Touch Notation does not support scanning/photographing sheet music and automatically converting to editable scores.
x

Hope you'll excuse my naive question. Sure appears I expected way too much out of a twelve dollar app.
I do have to admit. It appears I could just write out the first few bars on Touch Notation. Then proceed with my "creativity" lesson.
I do make a big mess out of paper and pencil as of now. Too many changes.
Is nice I can at least print out the score. Even save it as a PDF or other on my mac.
I'm needing an iPad for other things anyways.
ok, i purchased the app and two in app purchases!
touchnotation is quite comprehensive , but there are a lot of disturbing bugs!

James, why does Kawai not answer support questions nor give any other infos and answers to reported bugs and failures?
Frodimus, thank you for your feedback.

If you encounter any bugs with the Touch Notation app, may I recommend that you report them via the contact form of the English language support page at http://cmusic.kawai.jp/en/products/tn/support.htm

However, as explained on the form, we cannot guarantee that every message will be responded to directly.

Kind regards,
James
x
..... yes James , , i already wrote and gave some infos!

"We regret that it may not be possible to respond to all customer feedback directly."

and as a send confirmation again the message, that kawai will not respond!

hm, hm, a rather annoying statement.
When bugs are being reported, i expect the developer to handle these.
Which means to clarify the conditions for these bugs
and confirm that this will be handled!

No interest, no time, no ......?
Cool thing. My daughter and I just copied one of "The Aristocats" songs that our piano teacher noted on paper with Touch Notation into the iPad and then (via the mail/print/other app) loaded it into Synthesia (also on iPad).

In Synthesia I mapped right hand/left hand and now I can train them separately!

Yay for technology!

(For this to work, the free Touch Notation is enough if you do not have more than a page, but you need the full Synthesia to be able to import)

Any chance that Touch Notation (which already can play via MIDI in the paid version) will also be able to listen via MIDI and tell me when I hit the wrong note?
Hello Hendrik,

Thank you for your positive feedback.

Originally Posted by Hendrik42
Any chance that Touch Notation (which already can play via MIDI in the paid version) will also be able to listen via MIDI and tell me when I hit the wrong note?

I'm not a developer, but I expect that kind of teaching/practising functionality goes beyond the intended purpose of Touch Notation, which is primarily geared towards notating music. However, by all means, please feel free to submit your suggestion to the development team via the contact form on the English language Touch Notation support site.

Kind regards,
James
x
Posted By: ngk Re: Kawai 'Touch Notation' iOS app now available - 09/13/15 01:22 AM
Is there any possibility of an update, or feature suggestios? I love this app and it is almost complete enough for my needs.

My wish list:
Memo input: set default font, allow editing of the memo text in "property" ( copying and editing would be nice) maybe set 3 preset font settings for title, lyrics and musical notes.

Freehand: allow erasing, create white marker color to allow erasing of smaller parts.
Bug?: Chords: can't use "add" for "add2".

Rehearsal markers in square box.
Slash marks as note heads for rhythms.
My wish list addendum too:

Will it be updated for the new iPad Pro?

How about a fun trick, which is totally non-standard: Make flatted notes appear red and sharp notes appear green? We have color screens now; how about we use them? I have wanted this for years now and I wish music would use colors. I hate reading music. It does not come naturally to me.
Without a doubt you will have your choice of several notation apps for the iPad Pro before the end of 2016. Each taking full advantage of the new Apple Pencil.
Can I use kbd iRig keys for input?
ngk,

Thank you for your positive feedback and wishlist ideas.

May I recommend that you use the Contact Form on the 'Touch Notation' support pages to submit your ideas to the development team:

http://cmusic.kawai.jp/en/products/tn/support.htm

Please note that the development team are unable to reply to every message received via this form, however all comments are read and feature suggestions considered.

Kind regards,
James
x
Hello Yuri,

Originally Posted by Yuri Pavlov
Can I use kbd iRig keys for input?

No, Touch Notation only supports note input via touch.

Kind regards,
James
x
Quick bump to highlight this important update:

Improved accuracy of handwriting input when using iPad Pro + Apple Pencil.

Cheers,
James
x
Hi,

Loved the app. I'd love to see some features in next update such as MIDI import, writing in Continuous View, a toggle to switch between note input using finger & Apple Pencil only or an automatic palm rejection support. Currently, a bit annoying with the Wrist guard as I have to keep adjusting it when writing. Otherwise, it's an excellent app.

Regards,
Axel
Hello Axel,

Thank you very much for your positive feedback and useful comments.

I will pass on your suggestions to the Touch Notation development team.

Kind regards,
James
x
Dear James,

Any news regarding the update of Touch Notation app, please? Hoping the Continuous View mode will be available soon. Thanks.

Best regads,
Axel.
Hello Axel,

Thank you for your query, however I'm afraid I do not have any news to bring you regarding this point.

Kind regards,
James
x
© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums