Piano World Home Page
Posted By: NighhhT Tough choice, DP - 02/26/15 09:13 PM
Hello everyone, I'm currently looking for a DP to start learning piano, I have been playing (toying to be exact) with a M-audio 88es with 4front TruePianos for quite a long time now and I'm really tired of the cheap plastic keys and barely no weight on them.

Since I live in South America all the prices are insane, and I'm looking for the best option for learning piano properly.

I have narrowed my options to a few Digital Pianos.

• Yamaha P105 - U$S 1075
    I've always loved the yamaha piano sounds/samples, but at this price point with the GHS action it wouldn't be the best option.
  • Casio PX350 - U$S 1150
    Better Hammer action than the P105, Ebony & Ivory feel but worst samples than the Yamaha.
  • Korg 280 - U$S 1070
    I haven't read much about this piano, but from the pieces I've heard the piano samples aren't great.
  • Kawai ES100 - U$S 1250
    Really simple looking DP, I've heard it has a great hammer action and the piano samples sound great.

I will go out and try them before making a decision, but since I'm beginner I dont know what to look for/test (Hammer actions/feel and sound excluded)

I'm not going to use VSTs on the piano (atleast in the near years to come)

I wont replace the DP for atleast 5 years so I've been reading and watching a lot of reviews.

Thanks for reading and sorry for my poor english.
Posted By: dmd Re: Tough choice, DP - 02/26/15 09:39 PM
As a beginner, the only thing I would suggest you consider is the feel of the keys and to a lesser degree, the sound.

My choice would be the ES100.

Posted By: ElmerJFudd Re: Tough choice, DP - 02/26/15 10:16 PM
The ES100 and the PX350 are the nicest on that list, IMHO.
But you should also take a look at the Yamaha P-255 in this price range.

Here is a review by Keyboard Magazine.

Posted By: NighhhT Re: Tough choice, DP - 02/26/15 11:08 PM
Originally Posted by dmd
As a beginner, the only thing I would suggest you consider is the feel of the keys and to a lesser degree, the sound.

My choice would be the ES100.

I guess its between PX350 and ES100.

Originally Posted by ElmerJFudd
The ES100 and the PX350 are the nicest on that list, IMHO.
But you should also take a look at the Yamaha P-255 in this price range.

Here is a review by Keyboard Magazine.

Sadly its not available in my country.
Posted By: peterws Re: Tough choice, DP - 02/26/15 11:23 PM
What connections do you want on it? Like, audio input (from computer software piano, or just an mp3 type music source; Do you want audio recording as well as midi? Other voices (you mentioned the Casio PX350) . . . Line out sockets or just headphones?

I wouldn`t buy any of these pianos for one reason. The pedal will be located in the wrong place if you have the piano mounted against the wall. They`re too narrow. The Korg might not be so bad, but THEY tell me the earlier model was better, and the connectivity isn`t brilliant, although the keyboard is probably the best of that bunch.
Posted By: NighhhT Re: Tough choice, DP - 02/26/15 11:40 PM
Originally Posted by peterws
What connections do you want on it? Like, audio input (from computer software piano, or just an mp3 type music source; Do you want audio recording as well as midi? Other voices (you mentioned the Casio PX350) . . . Line out sockets or just headphones?

I wouldn`t buy any of these pianos for one reason. The pedal will be located in the wrong place if you have the piano mounted against the wall. They`re too narrow. The Korg might not be so bad, but THEY tell me the earlier model was better, and the connectivity isn`t brilliant, although the keyboard is probably the best of that bunch.

I will mainly use headphones and also want to record my own music, I guess if i can record audio through midi/usb the built in usb on the px 350 isn't necessary.
Other voices are a nice addition to play with, but not a deal breaker if it has a small amount of voices.

It will be for home use, good speakers are a plus since I wont buy amps/speakers.

© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums