Piano World Home Page
Posted By: PedrojbP Kawai KDP90 ; Casio PX-350, Kawai CL36 - 07/07/14 11:09 PM
Hello,
I've posted once in this forum few weeks ago asking for feedback about buying PX-350, and I followed people advice and went to some stores to try some pianos.
Sadly near where I live, I went to 7 different stores and they either didn't have Casio products in stock or they don't do business with casio at all.
Yet, i've tried both Kawai KDP-39 and CL36 and it felt pretty good.

So, considering I actually liked the touch of these and that I'm aware Casio speakers literally suck (i'll use headphones), being me a truly beginner, which price is the best deal?
PX-350 for 800€ (includes wooden stand, pedals and a bench)
Kawai KDP90 for 900€
Kawai CL36 for 750€

Thanks
Posted By: khopin Re: Kawai KDP90 ; Casio PX-350, Kawai CL36 - 07/08/14 02:04 AM
Hello PedrojbP
It depends what is more important to you.
If you prefer better sound and key action go for CL36, but if the furniture is a must to you, then go for KDP90.
I had a CL36 and I can say that is a very good piano, the best I have tried in its size.
Which one likes you the most?
That's a tough set of DP's to compare.

The PX-350 is portable, has a full set of drum-pattern accompaniments, full "General MIDI" voices (250 or so), auto-accompaniment, auto-harmonize. The speakers are weak. The keyboard action, you really need to judge for yourself.

The other two are console pianos, with limited "non-piano" voices. And you know that you find the keyboard actions OK.

I suppose I'd say something like this:

. . . If you value the features in the PX-350, buy it "blind",
. . . and hope that the action pleases you. Worst case,
. . . return it (if that's possible).

. . . If you _don't_ value the features in the PX-350, buy
. . . one of the other two.

"Gear acquisition syndrome" (GAS) has a cousin:

. . . Gear analysis paralysis (GAP)

which is what happens when you spend six months figuring out what DP to buy. And changing the analysis, as new models appear.<g>

. Charles

PS -- I like my PX-350. I haven't played the Kawai's. So I'm not just biased -- I'm ignorant, as well!<g>

Posted By: fizikisto Re: Kawai KDP90 ; Casio PX-350, Kawai CL36 - 07/08/14 04:45 AM
Also the PX-350 has Line Outs, so you can add better monitors (speakers) later on for improved sound. The sounds themselves on the Casio are quite nice. And while the speakers aren't going to blow anybody away, in a quiet room they are more than adequate. And yes, a lot of people find the casio actions to be quite serviceable, but as Charles notes, your opinion of the action can only be determined by trying it for yourself.

warm regards,
Posted By: peterws Re: Kawai KDP90 ; Casio PX-350, Kawai CL36 - 07/08/14 08:03 AM
If you`re able to, why not try out Rolands and Yamahas? I shouldn`t think you`ll go wrong with any of your choices once you get playing music and forget what it is you play on . . but it`s good to fish around.
Posted By: PedrojbP Re: Kawai KDP90 ; Casio PX-350, Kawai CL36 - 07/08/14 11:16 AM
" "Gear acquisition syndrome" (GAS) has a cousin:

. . . Gear analysis paralysis (GAP) "
-->This is indeed true... but only because all my gathering of information was through internet without ever trying it "live" ahah.

"Also the PX-350 has Line Outs, so you can add better monitors (speakers) later on for improved sound. The sounds themselves on the Casio are quite nice"
--> I already thought of this, yet there is still something that bothers me: A lot of people seem to complain about "vibrations" in this piano, I saw a video of it on youtube called Casio PX-350 sound glitch ( youtube.com/watch?v=zY2TvFKFbPQ ) and I'm not sure if in case this happened to me aswell it would persist even though I'd use headphones or ext. speakers

"If you`re able to, why not try out Rolands and Yamahas?"
--> I don't know much about Roland's, also the Yamahas are the best and most genuine but also the most expensive, so the one I've read that is worth more buying rather than px-350 is the P155 but that's just too expensive
Originally Posted by PedrojbP
. . .
"Also the PX-350 has Line Outs, so you can add better monitors (speakers) later on for improved sound. The sounds themselves on the Casio are quite nice"
--> I already thought of this, yet there is still something that bothers me: A lot of people seem to complain about "vibrations" in this piano, I saw a video of it on youtube called Casio PX-350 sound glitch ( youtube.com/watch?v=zY2TvFKFbPQ ) and I'm not sure if in case this happened to me as well it would persist even though I'd use headphones or ext. speakers

I haven't heard much, about that problem, in the past six months.

I suspect it was caused by wires, rattling against the cabinet ("sympathetic vibration") when certain bass notes were played. If that _was_ the problem, the factory may have cured it:

. . . You put some silicone sealant (or a plastic
. . . wire tie) at the "rattle point"
. . . during assembly, to hold the wire(s) in place.

It was a problem _only_ when the PX-350's internal speakers were used. Never with headphones. I don't recall anyone who had the problem when using external speakers -- they probably don't shake the case enough to evoke the rattle.

. Charles
© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums