Piano World Home Page
Posted By: BarryDMD Roland Rd-800 Demo Musikmesse 2014 - 03/22/14 11:25 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_SndCkwYFM
Posted By: torhu Re: Roland Rd-800 Demo Musikmesse 2014 - 03/23/14 12:55 AM
I don't understand why they think they can sell musical instruments the same way one would sell kitchen utensils, but maybe it works. It's not a pretty sight, though.
Posted By: toddy Re: Roland Rd-800 Demo Musikmesse 2014 - 03/23/14 01:28 AM
Yeah but he didn't have a pony tail though, did he? Not even a hint of one.
Originally Posted by torhu
I don't understand why they think they can sell musical instruments the same way one would sell kitchen utensils, but maybe it works. It's not a pretty sight, though.

I agree. Every video from NAMM was like a cheesy infomercial. Did you see the videos for the Yamaha P255 and their web app. Now thats where you think they were going to throw in some free steak knives and free kitty litter for life if you ordered today. wink
Another pretty good RD800 demo.

Posted By: Hideki Matsui Re: Roland Rd-800 Demo Musikmesse 2014 - 03/25/14 02:19 PM
Originally Posted by toddy
Yeah but he didn't have a pony tail though, did he? Not even a hint of one.

Scott Tibbs of Roland wears a ponytail. I'd take him as a demo man or keyboardist any day.
Posted By: Turnabout Re: Roland Rd-800 Demo Musikmesse 2014 - 03/25/14 06:21 PM
Good catch, Marko. I have to say that I *really* like the sound, too bad I can't afford it. (I'm thinking about the F20/F120, but the 'bottoming-out' noise issue concerns me....)
Posted By: Dave Ferris Re: Roland Rd-800 Demo Musikmesse 2014 - 03/26/14 03:36 AM
I like what I'm hearing on the last few demos. The main thing for me though believe or not is - how are the drums, the grooves and the quality of the basses ? laugh

Basically the Nord is perfect for me on most gigs, but I'm doing more singles where I do LH bass, vocals and the added drum groove. For certain gigs it gives the vibe more *umph* or energy then just straight piano or piano & vocals. I've had to go back to my early 2000's Boss DR-770 drum machine and it sounds like cr*p.

I liked the drums in the CP5, didn't like them in the 700NX. I've heard a few 800 demos where you get just a tad of groove and they sound pretty good.

Still scouring the LA CL for good price on a CP5, but would prefer the schlep of this lighter Roland if it's functional for me.

GC finally has these things in stock and I found a store where a guy was willing to take one out of the box to demo. Maybe tomorrow if I can fit in. Give me da drums.. grin
Posted By: thomsurf Re: Roland Rd-800 Demo Musikmesse 2014 - 03/26/14 09:21 AM
The drum grooves are terrible on the RD800! They seem to be the same as on my old RD300NX.
Posted By: Dave Ferris Re: Roland Rd-800 Demo Musikmesse 2014 - 03/26/14 10:26 AM
Really ? Hmm, not a good thing. I'll check them out anyway. Maybe the CP5 is the only thing that will work for me in that area.
Posted By: thomsurf Re: Roland Rd-800 Demo Musikmesse 2014 - 03/26/14 07:40 PM
Well, there's only a very limited amount of jazzy loops that all sound kind of cheesy. The most simple one them might work for you. The board has a nice well rounded acoustic bass sound though.
© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums