Piano World Home Page
Hello,

I am new here and play the (digital) piano for about 8 months now.
Now I want to buy a decent DP in the €1400~ range. I really want to buy a Kawai VPC1 because of the new key-action, but it has no speakers.. My first decent DP was a Yamaha P-155, but I sold it to buy a better piano. Would a Yamaha P-255 be a better choice over the Kawai VPC1? I am looking for a piano with the best key-action possible in the price range. Classical is what I play.

Thank you!
PianoJames,
Are you also aware that the VPC1 has no built in sounds? In order to play sounds through it, you need to connect it to some external gear like a sound module or a PC with software based instruments. This combination may give the best combination of sound and action, but it also can add considerably to the expense (VPC1 + good speakers/headphones + pc + software pianos -- it adds up). So you may find that it ends up being outside your price range, or you may not want the hassle of having to set everything up and configure it. Also, the feel of an action is in many ways so subjective. You may find you hate the action of the VPC1 even if most everyone else loves it. Your best option is probably to see if you can find one to try out and see if the action is to your liking.

Warm Regards
Yes, I largely agree with fizikisto sentiments.

Theoretically the VPC1's keyboard action is far more realistic than that of the P255, however there is no guarantee that you will prefer it. Therefore it is important to play-test both instruments. If you are unable to find a VPC1 at a store nearby, the CA15 and - to a lesser-extent - MP10 and CA95/CA65 will offer a fair comparison for reference.

One other consideration is that the P155 and P255 keyboard actions are largely the same. If you feel that you've outgrown your P155, I do not believe that the P255 will offer a significant improvement - at least not in terms of the keyboard action.

Best of luck with your search!

Cheers,
James
x
FWIW --

My subjective opinion:

. . . If you want something substantially better than a P155,
. . . 1400 Euros should be your _minimum_ budget.

Evaluating keyboard action is very subjective. Try the Roland FP-80, the Roland FP-7F (if you can find one -- they're discontinued), the RD-700NX.

. Charles
For the Kawai VPC1 + software piano, do check out the following thread, if you haven't already. Lots of useful info. Seems like a very viable option, and the new Ravenscroft software piano from VI Labs Audio, gets quite a lot of praise, although it's not without debates.

https://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubb...enscroft_by_VI_Labs%E2%80%A6_First_.html
Originally Posted by PianoJames
Hello,

I am new here and play the (digital) piano for about 8 months now.
Now I want to buy a decent DP in the €1400~ range. I really want to buy a Kawai VPC1 because of the new key-action, but it has no speakers.. My first decent DP was a Yamaha P-155, but I sold it to buy a better piano. Would a Yamaha P-255 be a better choice over the Kawai VPC1? I am looking for a piano with the best key-action possible in the price range. Classical is what I play.

Thank you!

It also may be worth your time to look at the Kawai ES7.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BD6XvOXrkMk

Right now if I could "upgrade", I would get the VPC1. Key-action is important. And I really do like my P-155.
Hello, guys,

I don't have much money actually (I am 17 years old and jobless. lol). If I buy a Kawai VPC1 I need to buy a laptop and some speakers right? Or should I buy a Kawai MP10?

Thank you for your reactions!
If the Kawai MP10 appeals to you, maybe you should check out it's little brother, MP6. Not as expensive, but has some of the features of MP10.

Have you checked the Rolands, Charles Cohen mentioned? Although, Roland RD-700NX is probably above your budget. As an unemployed teenager, I'm assuming your budget is not over 2000 euros! If it is, I'm glad on your behalf, then you have more options and better pianos to choose from.

Here are stage pianos from Thomann.de, most expensive first.

http://www.thomann.de/nl/cat.html?gf=toneel_pianos&ls=100&oa=prd

You can scroll to your price category, it's not too many options, the ones so far mentioned are there, plus a few others.

Though you seem mostly interested in stage pianos, here are the console type digitals from Thomann.

http://www.thomann.de/nl/cat.html?gf=digitaalpianos&ls=100&oa=prd

Originally Posted by PianoJames
I don't have much money actually (I am 17 years old and jobless. lol). If I buy a Kawai VPC1 I need to buy a laptop and some speakers right? Or should I buy a Kawai MP10?

The VPC1 does not need a laptop per se, it needs some external sound source. It could be an iPad (or iPhone or iPod Touch) running CMP Grand Piano, it could be something running on a desktop computer if that's what you have (you would just have to manage to set it and the piano up in proximity). So maybe you own some other option that wouldn't require also budgeting for a new computer right off the bat.

Note that the MP10 also requires purchase of speakers. (Unless you will just play through headphones, which you could do with the VPC1+device setup as well.)

Unlike TheodorN, I wouldn't suggest the MP6. It's a very nice board, but strictly in terms of action and sound, I don't think there's much of an argument for it being significantly better than the P155 you are trying to upgrade from. I haven't played the Kawai ES7, maybe that could be a possibility, and at least that has speakers. Another board with speakers you might consider would be the Roland FP80.

Sticking with Yamaha, you don't get a better action than the P155/P255 until you get to the CP4. Or you might find a good deal on its predecessor, the CP5. Again, though, these don't have speakers.
In your position I would take a close look into the Kawai CA15.

If you prefer a slab type piano with a good action you have to spend quite a bit more in order to surpass the P155. In the price range you mention the Yamaha P255 is in fact tempting, as well as the Kawai ES7.
Hello! Well even though i may not be the best judge i do agree with the people above me in that the vpc1 has the best action currently available for a stage(semi-portable laugh ) piano under 1500 . But whether it is the right one for you depends on some things.

Do you plan to gig or traverse while caring the dp of choice with you, and is that of extreme importance to you? If so unless you really dig the key action and have friends to carry it with or a girlfriend smile to help you lift it... It's 30 kg of awesome mate consider yourself warned!

Another important thing is what is the intended usage of the piano, if you want it to study classical music on a serious note (diplomas etc etc) then for the key action alone and the more realistic sound provided by either better sampled programs (galaxy etc etc) or modeled ones(pianoteq ) ones for the pc its the way to go.

Next is whether you want internal speakers or not, the p-255 has them unless i am mistaken, and they probably are quite a bit better then the ones you were used to on the p-155. You won't find speakers of any kind on the vpc1 and/or the mp10 (and i doubt the mythical mp11 has them either laugh , maybe the yeti knows?). But speakers also bring the potential problem of neighbors and playing at ungodly hours in the middle of the night (cough: guilty :cough) on such circumstances a good pair of headphones are a blessing.

And last but not least comes the price, unless you have a good quality computer(doesn't have to be a laptop) were you will set the vpc1 next to and run either the sample or the software library for, and either have speakers or good headphones(one's that satisfy your ear that is, this doesn't mean they have to be expensive as well wink )this will set you back quite a bit over 2000 probably.

Hope i helped a bit regarding the vpc1, whether you buy this or any other board if you intend to use if for serious classical study i would advise you to pick a piano with a 3 sensor as well you most likely will notice a difference when playing if not now then in the future.
© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums