Piano World Home Page
Posted By: sandalholme Kawai ES6 vs ES7 - 10/10/12 09:48 AM
Has anyone experience of both of these? I have tried the ES6 and thought it inferior to the Roland FP7F by a good margin, especially, surprisingly to me, the action. Is the ES7 so much better it's worth travelling some distance to try?
Posted By: Kawai James Re: Kawai ES6 vs ES7 - 10/10/12 10:06 AM
Yes.
Posted By: sandalholme Re: Kawai ES6 vs ES7 - 10/10/12 11:35 AM
4 good reasons?
Posted By: Kawai James Re: Kawai ES6 vs ES7 - 10/10/12 11:51 AM
Related to the action?

1. The ES7 action uses a 3-sensor key detection system, allowing greater accuracy and responsiveness. The ES6 action uses a 2-sensor system.

2. The ES7 action is more structurally rigid than the ES6 action, and therefore less prone to side-to-side key wobble and creaking noises.

3. The ES7 action features 'Ivory Touch' key surfaces that absorb moisture and aid playing control. The ES6 action is gloss plastic.

4. The ES7 action features 'let-off' simulation to recreate the 'notch' felt when playing a grand piano very gently. The ES6 does not.

Cheers,
James
x
Posted By: sandalholme Re: Kawai ES6 vs ES7 - 10/10/12 12:50 PM
Thank you James!
Posted By: JFP Re: Kawai ES6 vs ES7 - 10/10/12 04:09 PM
Better speakers ? (5th argument)

Larger LCD (6th argument)

and the list goes on ;-)

I wouldn't consider the ES6 now the ES7 is out. Keybed holds it's own very well against the FP7F. I only read in another thread that the price equals that of the FP7F in some countries, which makes it a bit less competitive. But at a lower price , the ES7 is most certainly worth trying.

(O yeh...and better audio-in :-???? , sorry was too tempting...)
Posted By: Kawai James Re: Kawai ES6 vs ES7 - 10/10/12 09:05 PM
Originally Posted by JFP
Better speakers ? (5th argument)

Larger LCD (6th argument)

and the list goes on ;-)

Indeed, there are many more improvements throughout the board - I was just highlighting the action points.

Cheers,
James
x
Posted By: pv88 Re: Kawai ES6 vs ES7 - 10/11/12 09:23 AM
@sandalholme,

As James mentions above, there are many benefits in owning the latest model, i.e., the ES7, as I own the EP3 (older model from 2008) which I consider to be very good. The ES7 would quite simply be an improvement all around, over the EP3.

The EP3 has very nice sounding piano tones, a smooth and quiet action, and, very decent speakers with excellent reverb effects.

Therefore, the ES7 is going to be better. It has a new three-sensor action, instead of two as with the EP3.
Posted By: sandalholme Re: Kawai ES6 vs ES7 - 10/12/12 08:56 AM
Many thanks for your replies. The reason I ask, having been disappointed with the ES6, is that I have to drive over 100 miles to try one.
Posted By: tinpanalley Re: Kawai ES6 vs ES7 - 06/26/13 11:23 PM
first of all, thanks for all the great posts from everyone. this is most civil and helpful forum i have ever been a part of.

anyway, just wanted to weigh in on the es6 vs. es7 debate. in an ultimate act of buyers remorse, i just returned a closeout priced es6 for a brand spankin' new es7. i tried both in the store, and at first i was tempted by what turned out to be a $650 difference in price. but when i ended up visiting the store again, i realized i had made a mistake.

still have not unpacked the new one. bought a substantial stand and bench at GC. i am so looking forward to seeing how it sounds in my living room. was happy to patronize a local store, too.

once again, thanks for all your help. when you are spending this kind of money, you know you want to be happy with your purchase for a long time if possible.
Posted By: Kawai James Re: Kawai ES6 vs ES7 - 06/26/13 11:31 PM
tinpanalley, congrats! I believe you made the correct decision.

The ES6 was an excellent instrument a few years ago, and is still a strong performer today. However, the ES7, with it's superior action, speakers, and sound technology raises the bar even further.

Welcome to the forum, by the way!

Cheers,
James
x
Posted By: justpin Re: Kawai ES6 vs ES7 - 06/27/13 01:28 PM
BTW James are these things real Kawai products or a cheap knock off?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CVCiWkc3Pw&feature=player_embedded

Seems pretty portable to me, but I think I might feel limited by the number of keys grin
Posted By: Kawai James Re: Kawai ES6 vs ES7 - 06/27/13 02:10 PM
Yes, they're definitely kosher:

https://www.kawai.co.jp/toy/sound/

Kawai has a fairly large teaching school network throughout Japan, and these 'toy' pianos (and other instruments) are used for the pre-school age curriculum.

Definitely portable, but the actions aren't really up to much...

Cheers,
James
x
© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums