Piano World Home Page
Posted By: PianoZac Nord owners, what's under your hood? - 01/20/12 07:14 PM
We had a thread a while back on this, but there are several more new Nord owners. Here's what's in my NP88:

1. Grand Imperial - Large size
2. Bright Grand - XL size
3. Studio Grand 2 - Large size
4. Grand Lady D - Large size

1. EPiano 1 MkI, Low Deep
2. EPiano 2 MkI Suitcase, Close Ideal
3. EP Wurlitzer 1 200A

Space used - 450MB.
Posted By: jazzwee Re: Nord owners, what's under your hood? - 01/21/12 10:51 PM
Zachary, my NP (being a gigging board smile ) was packed away yesterday, so I couldn't recall what's in it. But I'll check it later tonight.

At least for Piano, I have the exact same ones expect I don't recall if I have any XL. I have no uprights.

On EP's I recall EP Mark I Deep, and EP Sparkletop. The rest I added for filler. I also put in Harpischord and Clav for filler. I'll never use those so I have more space free.

Posted By: Kawai James Re: Nord owners, what's under your hood? - 01/22/12 02:16 AM
Zachary, I have the following in my NE3:

- Studio Grand 2 (Lrg)
- Black Upright (Med)
- All the available EPs
- The one Wurly (wish there was more...)
- The Clav

Lots of other EPs (including Pianets) from the Nord (and user-created) Sample Library.

While I'm strictly a funk'n'soul snob, one of the bands I play with has a strong fusion vibe (band leader is a slab bass player), so I've reluctantly agree to add some synth strings sounds ahead of our next practise get-together.

Cheers,
James
x
Posted By: Dave Ferris Re: Nord owners, what's under your hood? - 01/22/12 04:35 AM
Posted By: jazzwee Re: Nord owners, what's under your hood? - 01/22/12 05:53 AM
I was playing around with the Grand Lady D, Studio 2 and Bright Grand at my gig yesterday. I had another piano player try different options.

I ended up picking Studio 2 for the one in a band mix with some EQ adjustments (that EQ is very flexible).

Then one of the tunes, I switched to EP in the middle of the tune and I expected it to go the EP Sparkletop because that's what I had in Live mode. And it ended up playing Electric Grand! Being in the middle of the tune, I didn't know how it managed to switch. There's a few things I have to experiment with here. This was only the second time I've used it in a gig (a week apart).

Anyway that's an accidental selection that didn't please me. I'm inclined to remove those samples now just from the likelihood of a mistake.
Posted By: Dr Popper Re: Nord owners, what's under your hood? - 01/22/12 02:33 PM
The Bright Grand, The Imperial and the C7 ...a Wuril and a Suitcase are on my Stage2 which has left the building anyhow ...to have every trace of that horrendous red eradicated from its exterior.
Posted By: PianoZac Re: Nord owners, what's under your hood? - 01/22/12 03:33 PM
I'm digging the red!! It's unique amongst the array of boring black slabs. Definitely a very visible board on stage! smile
Originally Posted by ZacharyForbes
We had a thread a while back on this, but there are several more new Nord owners. Here's what's in my NP88:

1. Grand Imperial - Large size
2. Bright Grand - XL size
3. Studio Grand 2 - Large size
4. Grand Lady D - Large size

1. EPiano 1 MkI, Low Deep
2. EPiano 2 MkI Suitcase, Close Ideal
3. EP Wurlitzer 1 200A

Space used - 450MB.

Apologies for butting in slightly OT, but I was wondering what the possibilities or limitations are for loading sounds - taking the example given above, could I load numbers 1 to 7 as all piano sounds if they fit within the memory space, and have no EP's? Thanks
Posted By: maurus Re: Nord owners, what's under your hood? - 01/22/12 09:02 PM
Yes you can. The 500MP piano memory takes all sounds of grands, uprights, e-pianos, cembalos and clavinets from the Nord Piano Library (Nord's .npno file format), in whatever combination you please. The 'sample' sounds are in a different format (.nsmp) and fit in the 'Sample Memory' of the NP 2 or the Nord Electro or Stage but not in the 'Piano Memory'. Clavia provides a sample editor for the .nsmp files, but you can't edit or produce .npno files (at least I am not aware of any hack).

Back on topic, my NE3HP (small memory, only 180 MB for pianos) has, at this moment:

Grand Imperial Large (no XL possible frown )
Lady D Medium
Mk I Low Deep
Mk I Suitcase
Mk V Close Ideal
SparkleTop

... and a variety of samples (organs, strings, brass, percussion, harps, bass, a few synth pads)
© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums