Model E-272
Serial Number: 44800 (2006)
Size 272cm/9ft
Asking Price £95,000
Choose Style: Contemporary
Type: Concert Grand
Choose Finish: Black
Description:

2006 Steingraeber & Söhne E-272 Concert Grand Piano with unique additional action - Mint condition (Serial No. 44800)

It is rare for a Steingraeber piano to come onto the second hand market, but it is particularly rare to find a previously owned E-272 Concert Grand, the flagship model from Steingraeber & Söhne, considered to be one of the world’s finest piano manufacturers.

This piano has come to market after its sole owner, an amateur pianist, recently passed away. Since it’s purchase, this stunning hand-built instrument has been expertly maintained by just two concert piano technicians, both of whom are approved by Steingraeber & Söhne themselves.

It is in mint condition, having only had light use, and has been kept in a dark room that was also used as a home cinema, completely away from any type of natural light. It has been tuned 3 times a year since purchase (though it has only ever needed a trim tuning due to its excellent stability, it’s owner liked to ensure it was perfect at all times).

Uniquely, this concert grand piano also comes with an additional action, which was given to the owner to test an innovative new roller design. Both actions have been regularly serviced and regulated. Because the two actions were swapped over once or twice per year throughout its life, both actions have very little wear. One action is voiced slightly more mellow than the other, allowing the pianist to have two different sounds from one piano, ideal for a broad and varied repertoire. The spare action comes in a custom built wooden storage/transport box constructed by Steingraeber & Söhne, with heavy duty carry handles at each end and a hinged top lid.

The piano is also fitted with a twin-tank Dampp-Chaser “Piano Life Saver Humidity System”, fitted by Steingraeber at their factory in Bayreuth, Germany (fitted with a UK plug) as well as a Dampp-Chaser undercover for added protection.

It is worth noting that the piano’s late owner was absolutely meticulous about keeping his room at a constant humidity all year round to protect this piano, which was his pride and joy.

As expected of Steingraeber, the build quality of the piano is of the highest calibre, with the utmost standards of handcrafted workmanship and materials, with obvious attention to even the smallest detail.

This is a quite remarkable piano, with a thundering, powerful bass and sparkling, bell-like treble, making it ideal for a concert hall but it would be equally at home in a large room or recording studio.

From the official Steingraeber & Söhne website, www.steingraeber.de, about the E-272:

“Many pianists praise it as being one of the most distinctive and outstanding instruments on the market today. At the latest test of eleven concert grand pianos from all of the top manufacturers, Le Monde de la Musique (Paris) wrote that “… these days it would be hard to find a better instrument for interpreting Bach, Mozart and Beethoven.”

This is a world-class instrument that deserves to played and appreciated, and it is hoped that this piano will find a home where it will enjoyed for years to come.

———

The piano is currently located at a property in Sidcup, South East London, England but it would be possible to ship worldwide. Buyer to pay all shipping costs, including at import/export fees, taxes and duties and no refunds can be given.

Brand new, a Steingraeber & Söhne E-272 has a RRP of €160,000. This previously owned piano is priced at £95,000.

If you have any questions about this piano, or to organise a viewing in person or via video call, please don’t hesitate to contact me.
Just to update this, in order to secure a quick sale, the asking price is now £75,000.
Posted By: Bach2Rach Re: Steingraeber & Söhne E 272 for Sale - 12/18/21 02:06 AM
Hello Mr. Chapman,

I live in California so I do not know the practicality of trying to buy a Steingraeber that is located in the UK.

I am searching for a wonderful piano to buy though. My piano technician told me about Steibgraebers and I am very interested. Are there any recordings of the Steingraeber you are selling? I know that a recording is not a substitute for actually hearing the piano, but it would be a starting point for me.

I also will have to look into the cost of shipment, taxes, etc. if you have any knowledge of these matters, I would appreciate your advice.

I don’t know about travel because of the ongoing Covid problems, but if the Steibgraeber does not sell immediately, I would love to come visit it when travel becomes possible.

This sounds like a truly wonderful piano and the pianist who owned it seems like a truly remarkable man. This piano has a happy history. It touches my heart that it was so loved.
Best of luck in finding it another good home. Maybe if I am lucky, it will be mine.

Kindest regards,
Vonise
Dear Vonise,

Thanks so much for your message. The piano is still for sale, but it seems it may not be for long, as I have
very strong interest from someone in this country. However, should this not lead to a sale, you would be most welcome to come and visit the piano when it is possible. I don’t currently have any recordings of the piano, unfortunately.

Shipping is relatively straightforward, but I’m unsure of the costs involved with taxes etc.

I’m so pleased you have understood how well this piano has been looked after. It was treated like a friend, and I hope it will go to someone that will feel the same about it. It is a truly incredible piano.

Thanks again for your interest.

Doug
Hi,

Just to confirm, this piano is now sold.

Thank you,

Doug
Posted By: Bach2Rach Re: Steingraeber & Söhne E 272 for Sale - 01/11/22 05:03 AM
Thank you for the update, Doug. I’m happy for the Steingraeber and for the lucky person who bought it. My quest for my Dream Piano continues. The story behind the Steingraeber has really inspired me to find a piano that is magical.

Best wishes,

Vonise
© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums