Piano World Home Page
Welcome to the general discussion thread for the Beethoven 250th Birthday Recital.

Please use this thread for any discussion of the pieces. Feel free to comment on any or all individual pieces. Some members offer comments on each submission individually; others offer general congratulations. Either approach is appropriate. Feel free to offer more specific, technical feedback if the participant had indicated that technical feedback was welcome.

For those who wish to comment on all pieces, a copy and paste template for offering feedback can be found here:
Beethoven 250th Response Template
Please use this thread only to discuss recital performances. If you have any comments or suggestions about ways to make the recital process better, please start a separate thread.

Enjoy the recital!

Sam
First batch smile

01. Jason Lenthe - Sonata #20 in G Major, 1st Movement
02. Jason Lenthe - Sonata #20 in G Major, 2nd Movement
I can hear vast improvement in your playing! Tone, evenness, dynamics. It just sounds better overall.
One thing I can say is that with such clear and even playing, my ears are desperately looking for some imperfection, some disruption. I think emphasizing the contrast in the dynamics even more will achieve that (there were several parts where you did that and it sounded awesome).

03. BSharp(C)yclist (Dan) - Sonatina in F Major, Anh. 5, No. 2, Mvmt. 1
04. BSharp(C)yclist (Dan) - Sonatina in F Major, Anh. 5, No. 2, Mvmt. 2
I see a vast improvement in your playing as well! Good job.
This piece sounds very challenging. I would personally pick a slower tempo and focus on evenness in the rhythm to make this sound more solid.

05. Tim Adrianson - Nine Variations on "Quant'e Piu Bello" WoO 69
Beautiful as always. I especially liked the last one.

06. Tim Adrianson - Piano Sonata #28, Op 101, 1st Mvt
Simply marvelous playing! Beyond words.

07. Ruth CM - Sonata No. 8 in C Minor, Op.13, "Pathetique", 2nd Mvmt
What a touch you have! Really beautiful playing!!

08. Ruth CM - Sonata No. 8 in C Minor, Op.13, "Pathetique", 3rd Mvmt
I really prefer this piece being played at a slower tempo but I haven’t found anyone who plays it slower… I just think this beautiful piece is losing something when played so fast. But that’s just a general rant smile
Regarding the playing here - really great, Could use a bit more pedal as it sometimes sounds a bit dry (or maybe add reverb?).

09. Jordan Nylander - Sonata 1 in F minor - I Allegro
10. Jordan Nylander - Sonata 1 in F minor - II Adagio
11. Jordan Nylander - Sonata 1 in F minor - III Allegretto
12. Jordan Nylander - Sonata 1 in F minor - IV Prestissimo
Sam, could you fix the YouTube link (remove the http prefix)?
Jordan - great playing!
The left hand is sometimes too loud and the reverb-full recording brings it a bit over the top. Still, great performance.
Just listened to #19, Carey's (Phil's) Sonata Op. 7 first movement. Wow! Terrific mastery of the technical difficulties, which are rife, and a fabulous rendering of the coda, one of the best I've ever heard. Total commitment to the music. Loved it.
#65, Tyrone Slothrop, German Dance in Eb Major, WoO 13, No. 9. What a charming, delightful piece, performed with charm to match. I love Beethoven miniatures and this one, which I had never heard before, did not disappoint. Some nice phrasing and careful attention to the voice leading, which is not complex but still important to get right, especially the lovely dissonances. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Perhaps work on making the melody in the middle section more lyrical, and re-think the ornaments?
Thanks for all the music you've shared!

Thanks for your comment Ido.

I was planning on playing these pieces for a Holy Week concert on the Organ, and was happy that I could now share them here with you all! Recordings are from my video camera on my church's piano. Better piano than I have at home. I'll try and work on finding better ways to record for the future. The recording is a bit hot and picks up a lot of sound. Sounds live though!

Comments:

Jason Lenthe - Sonata #20 in G Major
Loved the energy you put into this Sonata. It was very upbeat. Thanks for sharing.

Tim Adrianson
Great selections. I love the choices of Sonatas 28 and 27. nice thoughtful playing as well.

Ruth CM - Pathetique
Great job on the dynamic contrast. You really capture my attention by bringing this familiar song to new life!

More comments to come.
Question on Pathetique Sonata Op 13 2nd Movement. I've listened to the submitted ones and really enjoy them. We'll done I'll listen more closely again later.

I started learning this piece with my teacher and was wondering if you stick with legato fingering as much as possible, even if you are using pedal. If I'm using pedal, my hands want to gravitate to doing less work smile The teacher on the other hand suggests I stick with the legato fingering (like 4 over 5, finger substitutions, etc). And I'm focusing on learning this on an acoustic, as opposed to the hybrid I have. Thanks!
Originally Posted by bSharp(C)yclist
Question on Pathetique Sonata Op 13 2nd Movement. [...] I started learning this piece with my teacher and was wondering if you stick with legato fingering as much as possible, even if you are using pedal. If I'm using pedal, my hands want to gravitate to doing less work smile The teacher on the other hand suggests I stick with the legato fingering (like 4 over 5, finger substitutions, etc). And I'm focusing on learning this on an acoustic, as opposed to the hybrid I have. Thanks!
Not sure if I understand your question. Piano teachers often tend to create problems that did not exist before they raised an issue... I do not like piano teachers. Well, I am playing the melody notes with what you might call "legato fingering" (i.e. I leave the finger on the key until the next melody note - and I am using the pedal as well). However, I am not playing the accompanying notes in that manner, I am tipping those keys in a very delicate way, hardly touching them, as if they were dotted, and the pedal is doing the rest. Otherwise the accompaniment will get too loud.

05 Tim - Nine Variations on "Quant'è più bello" I have played these variations in my childhood and remember them very well. I like your energetic playing (though your runs are not always perfect which you are camouflaging with the pedal).

07 Ruth – 2nd Mvmt from Sonata Pathétique I enjoyed your version of this piece very much. Your rendition is rather close to how I understand and feel this Adagio. Your Yamaha digital sounds good.

48 KevinM – Bagatelle 119.4 How beautiful! Thanks for this wonderful recording. I like the sound of your Synthogy American D.

49 KevinM – 2nd Movement from Moonlight Sonata Just perfect, I enjoyed your rendition very much. I think you are a very good Beethoven interpreter, not so much a Chopin guy.

60 Morodiene – 2nd Mvt of Sonata Pathétique A very interesting rendition with more rubato and tempo changes than I would have expected. I particularly like it that you are definitely not at all trying to copy any rendition of one of the great pianists and have created an original interpretation of your own.
Some like to describe Beethoven as full of big drama. Tempestuous and passionate. However the first 5 recordings seem too all delight in a joyful playfulness. I think these are a lovely start to the recital. Thank you Jason, bsharp and Tim. They were all a delight to listen to.

No. 6 by Tim again, is the first to add some mood I think and I felt Timmcaptured the mood of the piece.

Nos. 7,8 by Ruth.CM. Fantastic. I love your playing and the sound you can get from your piano.
03-04 BSharp(C)yclist (Dan) – Sonatina in F A very joyful tune, it reminded me a bit of Clementi - fun to listen to. I like the runs you are playing in the 2nd movement.

09-12 Jordan Nylander – Sonata #1 in F I am always impressed by pianists who can play a whole sonata with all of its movements, well, you have a BA in piano, composition and jazz, so one would expect perfect renditions such as these from you. You seem to be representing the younger generation here. It’s good to find people on PW who are not yet in their 70s or 80s. Beethoven was in his early 20s when he wrote this sonata. I like the energetic Prestissimo best – this is what I expect from Beethoven, even though it is one of his early compositions.

41 Jordan Nylander – 1st Mvmt of Moonlight Sonata This piece is entitled “Quasi una fantasia” and that’s what it is to me. Your rendition is “conventional” if that is the proper word, very much how I expect this piece to sound like. Well, I wonder if it was possible to bring out the melody in a manner somewhat more clear by playing the arpeggiated accompaniment a bit softer, but that to some extent depends on the instrument and I have the impression that your acoustic grand is a bit out of tune and not reacting precisely. The introducing chat with your partner was quite joyful…

47 Alan – 2nd Movement Sonata Pathétique Congratulations on your new instrument. So your wife dislikes your playing the piano while she is at home. Now that you have got such a fine grand piano it is time to get rid of her.
Terrific recital so far, though I'm only at no. 13. Lucky 13 in this case, as Tim Adrianson never fails to sparkle!
Jordan Nylander, fantastic Sonata no 1, I was particularly taken with the 4th Movement,
I loved Ruth's Pathetique, BSharpCyclist your sonatinas were lovely,
And Jason, what can I say, great job, I am taking notes! I was really interested in some of the different choices in articulation etc we made. (aside from the more fundamental observation that your performance is pretty polished and mine is still frankly sloppy!)
51-53. ALiao78 Sonata No. 6 in F major Opus 10 No 2

I loved this, beautiful played with wonderful articulation and a fantastic interpretation.
Originally Posted by KevinM

I loved this, beautiful played with wonderful articulation and a fantastic interpretation.
+1 Great performance, Andy!

Thanks...really liked your playing of the Op. 119/4 Bagatelle!
Originally Posted by SiFi

+1 Great performance, Andy!

Same with your performances, especially the A-Flat Major Op. 120...wouldn't expect anything less from you!
I've really enjoyed the submissions I've listened to thus far, and hope to get through all of them in the next few days. Thanks again to Sam for pulling it all together. smile

Question. I'm happy to submit positive comments to the various participants when the spirit moves me - but would it be better to offer any well-intended suggestions for improvement through Private Messages? None of us are "pros" and we certainly can learn from each other as we strive to improve. But the last thing I'd want to do is make anyone feel bad about what they've accomplished, and any suggestions would be phrased constructively. Just thought I'd ask, since I haven't participated on one of these online recitals for several years now. Thanks.
Carey

Your submission from your masters is all class. It was just wonderful to listen to.

In relation to your constructive critique comment, I think it depends, if it gets technically quite involved then DM is probably best. Otherwise I think just do what you think is right.
I can understand why Opus 13. Pathetique second movement is so popular. I enjoyed all 4 interpretations from this recital. They are all worth listening to and giving your full attention.

It is interesting to hear different interpretations of the same piece, and what different pianos give. Thank you all.
Submissions 61, 66

The 119 No 1 Bagatelle.

I enjoyed both of these recordings very much. I have the music for this but have never learnt, so I have a new piece to add to my collection of pieces to learn.

For some reason, jaunty is the word that comes to mind and I feel both versions captured that spirit.
Carey

Your submission from your masters is all class. It was just wonderful to listen to.

In relation to your constructive critique comment, I think it depends, if it gets technically quite involved then DM is probably best. Otherwise I think just do what you think is right.
Kevin - thanks for the feedback - and the guidance - Most appreciated !!!!! Phil
Originally Posted by Carey
I've really enjoyed the submissions I've listened to thus far, and hope to get through all of them in the next few days. Thanks again to Sam for pulling it all together. smile

Question. I'm happy to submit positive comments to the various participants when the spirit moves me - but would it be better to offer any well-intended suggestions for improvement through Private Messages? None of us are "pros" and we certainly can learn from each other as we strive to improve. But the last thing I'd want to do is make anyone feel bad about what they've accomplished, and any suggestions would be phrased constructively. Just thought I'd ask, since I haven't participated on one of these online recitals for several years now. Thanks.

Carey, it's pretty rare to get suggestions for improvements in the ABF recitals - but it is nice when it happens. This recital is special though - I don't think we have ever had so many excellent players at the same time. Be polite, supportive and helpful, and we can all benefit from reading your comments.

Sam
thanks for your work on this Sam
15 Simon Finlow – Bagatelle 126/3 Simply wonderful! So warm and calm. Thanks for this exquisite recording.

32 Winterflower – 3rd movement of Sonata op. 101 Some very expressive late Beethoven. A fantastic piece, very well played. However, the sound of that public piano you are playing is… at least very special, haha. And what are those clicks I am hearing? A metronome?

42 PatH – Bagatelle 33/5 Fantastic! Very joyful and energetic. This is another piece by Beethoven I did not know before. Thanks for introducing.

45 Simon Finlow – Bagatelles 126/1 and 4 Thanks for telling us that this is Beethoven which is not trivial. I just bought some stamps at my local post office and the employee asked whether I wanted Mozart or Sesame Street. I chose the Mozart stamps which turned out to commemorate Beethoven’s 250th birthday, rather. Mozart, Beethoven - isn’t that all the same? Of course, it’s not. And Beethoven’s late “bagatelles” are anything but that.

46 QuasiunaFantasia – Allegretto WoO53 Ah, yes, there are a lot of fantastic pieces by Beethoven without opus number (WoO = Werk ohne Opusnummer). I absolutely agree that learning a piece on one’s own is often more beneficial than a paid lesson with a piano teacher. Your rendition is perfect, you have come to an amazing in-depth understanding of this kind of music. Congratulations!
15 Simon Finlow – Bagatelle 126/3
45 Simon Finlow – Bagatelle 126/1 and 4

Simply wonderful. I loved all of these Bagatelles. All so different and a delight to listen to.
Hi everyone,

Thanks for your comments

Hi Barbaram, I like the 4th movement as well!

Pianist 685,
Thanks for listening, the prestissimo is very energetic yes. I also realized I uploaded the wrong mp3 for moonlight which is number 41 on the playlist. Here's the YouTube video that has the right audio! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8VYxzfyp4U

Here's more comments from a great listening session:

44 Jason Lenthe Pastorale Sonata Scherzo
Great energy! A joy to listen to all the way to the last note!

45 SiFi Simon Finlow
Thanks for sharing the Op. 126
I'm not as familiar with the bagatelles, but I want to be after hearing those!

51-53
Andy Liao
Thanks for sharing the Sonata no 6. Such a fun listen!

This online recital was a great idea and am glad to be a part of it!
13-14 Tim – Sonata #27 Marvellous! Loved it. But I must admit I am not that familiar with the characteristics of Beethoven’s periods of composing nor am I a real Beethoven connoisseur. All I can say is that the first movement sounds very impressive with those runs (which you are not playing perfectly, either) and the second movement is very touching in an almost romantic manner.

23-25 Tyger – Waldstein Sonata You captured me right from the first note. I am more than impressed by your outstanding, professional performance. This is so fantastic. Am I mistaken or is your piano slightly out of tune?

44 Jason Lenthe – 3rd Movement from Sonata #12 Very good and fun to listen to.
Slowly getting through the list but wanted to note some of my favorites so far! Wishing I could have made a submission this time, but I didn't realize it was happening until too late.

06. Tim Adrianson - Piano Sonata #28, Op 101, 1st Mvt So lush and beautiful. I really loved your sound. You kept my attention through the entire piece. I hope you get a chance to play the rest of the sonata.

07. Ruth CM - Sonata No. 8 in C Minor, Op.13, "Pathetique", 2nd Mvmt Lovely! You brought out the melody in all the the right places, and your dynamics were amazing. Nice pedal work contrasting the first and second sections.

15. SiFi (Simon Finlow) - Bagatelles Op. 126, No. 3 in Ab Truly sublime.

19. Carey (Phil Jones) - Sonata Opus 7 I'm impressed the recording has held up so well after so many years. Wonderfully solid performance.
01. Jason Lenthe - Sonata #20 in G Major, 1st Movement

02. Jason Lenthe - Sonata #20 in G Major, 2nd Movement

44. Jason Lenthe - Sonata #15 in D Major "Pastoral", 3rd Movement, Scherzo

Hi Jason, I enjoyed watching your 3 performances. I'd say the first one was my favorite though. Well played, and nice piano!
16. patH (Patrick Hollstein) - Sonata #17 D Minor op.31/2 "Tempest", 1st movement

17. patH (Patrick Hollstein) - Sonata #17 D Minor op.31/2 "Tempest", 2nd movement

18. patH (Patrick Hollstein) - Sonata #17 D Minor op.31/2 "Tempest", 3rd movement

42. patH (Patrick Hollstein) - Bagatelle in C Major op.33/5

54. patH (Patrick Hollstein) - Sonata #5 C Minor op.10/1, 3rd movement

55. patH (Patrick Hollstein) - Bagatelle in A Flat Major op.33/7

I enjoyed watching your performances as well, Patrick, all 30 minutes laugh The near 50 years experience you have is evident. It's hard to pick a favorite from above, they were all fantastic!
Originally Posted by Kevin1116
19. Carey (Phil Jones) - Sonata Opus 7 I'm impressed the recording has held up so well after so many years. Wonderfully solid performance.

Thanks Kevin. Yes, in some respects the recording has held up better than I have (ha ha). Glad you enjoyed the performance. I played the recital on a Sunday afternoon in early April. During the second movement of the Beethoven it started to pour rain outside, and I clearly remember hearing the sound of the deluge (like a distant freight train) on the roof directly over the auditorium stage. I was trying very hard not to let the storm distract me. Funny the things you remember. smile
Originally Posted by SiFi
Just listened to #19, Carey's (Phil's) Sonata Op. 7 first movement. Wow! Terrific mastery of the technical difficulties, which are rife, and a fabulous rendering of the coda, one of the best I've ever heard. Total commitment to the music. Loved it.
Thanks Simon. Much appreciated. My adrenaline was definitely flowing that afternoon. grin
Thanks as usual to Sam for what I'm sure was a lot of work for the many great pieces submitted.
Thank you also to Kevin1116 and Ido for listening, enjoying and providing feedback on my pieces (as I won't have a chance to listen to yours). It is so motivating to be able to interact with other players, especially at this time.

01. Jason Lenthe - Sonata #20 in G Major, 1st/2nd Movement Great clear and concise playing of the ornaments, and excellent and consistent rhythm throughout.

03. BSharp(C)yclist (Dan) - Sonatina in F Major, Anh. 5, No. 2, Mvmt. 1/2 Some good work on this charming sonatina and I enjoyed listening to it.
You had a question on the Pathetique and legato fingering. Yes, I do try my best to stick with the legato fingering even with pedal. I usually try to learn a piece with such fingering without pedal first to force myself to do the legato. Do I cheat sometimes with other pieces, yes because I have small hands and it is not always possible for me to even have an alternative for it. Is that best practice…probably not. I find the Pathetique easier than some pieces with the legato as it is slower. Wish I had a clear cut answer for you but that’s just my two cents!

05. Tim Adrianson - Nine Variations on "Quant'e Piu Bello" WoO 69 Very nice phrasing and smooth transitions from one section to the next.

06. Tim Adrianson - Piano Sonata #28, Op 101, 1st Mvt I enjoyed this very much as well. You have a lovely and sensitive touch for the music.

09. Jordan Nylander - Sonata 1 in F minor – I/II/III/IV Great job on learning an entire sonata, something I’ve yet to do. The second movement with its gentle phrasing was my favorite. Thank you also for listening and commenting on my piece.

More to come...
Excellent recital, but how could it be otherwise when Beethoven provided the musical scores. smile

I'm splitting my comments into three chunks:

Group 1:

Tim Adrianson, Jordan Nylander, Simon Finlow, Patrick Hollstein, Phil Jones, Tyger, winterflower,
Morodiene, and Andy Liao

Your choices of music are well and truly beyond my current reach, and I do not have any advice to give you. Rather I would just say that I thoroughly enjoyed your performances and aim to join your ranks of people capable of playing such works (but don't sit up and wait for it, it could take a while smile ).

Group 2:

Sam S

Your excellent performance, and the whole well-documented endeavour leading up to it, are truly awesome and inspiring to this mere mortal.

Group 3:

01-02,44 Jason Lenthe
As pro as any professional recording. Excellent! Also, great sound.

03-04 BSharp(C)yclist (Dan)
Wonderful! First recording I've ever heard of that sonatina.

07-08 Ruth CM
Virtually flawless, as far as I could tell.

43 Snejana
Well played! And quite a fast-paced piece at that.

47 Alan Chandler
Wonderful performance. I feel your effort to tame this new, and very wild animal. smile To my ears the sound was a bit on the treble-rich side, maybe too much string, and too little wood, if that description makes sense. Closing the lid might make sense, as you point out yourself.

48 KevinM
Beautiful and pleasant.

49 KevinM
Again very beautiful and lyrical - quite a bit less rough than I would have done it. smile

50 Mosotti
Virtually perfect!

56-57 Suni
Brilliant. Nice soft touch.

58-59 barbaram
Deftly executed rapidly moving music. Very impressive.

61-62 Greta99
Quite exquisite. Very gentle touch. I've always struggled with the "Traurig" part, but you're flying through it without a trace of difficulty.

64 selfishplayer
Impressively fast; my fingers would be left dazed and not know their own order after such a workout.

65 Tyrone Slothrop
Good control of the dynamics. This is not an easy piece. Fine work!

66 MarlaJackspiano
I really like your subtle touch for this work, it captures the right spirit, I believe. But your recording equipment seems a bit lacklustre.

67 Constantin
Pleasant tranquility perfected!
46 QuasiunaFantasia – Allegretto WoO53 I really enjoyed listening to this. I feel like you have the rhythms and dynamics done well. Well done.
Originally Posted by Ruth CM
Thanks as usual to Sam for what I'm sure was a lot of work for the many great pieces submitted.
Thank you also to Kevin1116 and Ido for listening, enjoying and providing feedback on my pieces (as I won't have a chance to listen to yours). It is so motivating to be able to interact with other players, especially at this time.
Of course! I'm trying to keep any critical feedback to those who asked for it, but it always feels like tiptoeing a line when I tell someone what I think. There's so much awesome music here.

23. Tyger - Beethoven Piano Sonata No. 21 in C Major "Waldstein" - So many notes! I'm impressed you made it to the end! I'm curious to hear if you have a favorite recording.
26. winterflower - Op 79 Sonata in G - I enjoyed all of it! You did a nice job setting an ominous mood for the second movement. Might be worthwhile to practice with a metronome in all the movements. grin
29. Tyger - Beethoven Piano Sonata No. 23 in F Minor "Appassionata", Op. 57 - Nice performance! That coda of the third movement is a real race to the end.
33. Tim Adrianson - Piano Sonata #18, Op 31, #3 Mvt 1 - I enjoyed your sound and dynamics! Don't forget about the slur and ritardando in measure 3, and be sure not to over-pedal too much.
34. Tim Adrianson - Piano Sonata #18, Op 31, #3 Mvt 2 & 4 - Very fun! Thank you for sharing!
37. Morodiene - Sonata Op 2 No 3, 1st movement - I played this and remember (not so) fondly struggling with it a ton. Nice performance. Do you play the the sixteenth notes in measuring with just the right hand or split between right and left? I split them up and that made it a lot easier to keep it rhythmic and consistent.
40. Morodiene - Sonata Op 2 No 3, 4th movement - Those chord scales are quite challenging and you played them very nicely! I really enjoy this movement, and you play it well!
03. BSharp(C)yclist (Dan) - Sonatina in F Major, Anh. 5, No. 2, Mvmt. 1/2 Some good work on this charming sonatina and I enjoyed listening to it.
You had a question on the Pathetique and legato fingering. Yes, I do try my best to stick with the legato fingering even with pedal. I usually try to learn a piece with such fingering without pedal first to force myself to do the legato. Do I cheat sometimes with other pieces, yes because I have small hands and it is not always possible for me to even have an alternative for it. Is that best practice…probably not. I find the Pathetique easier than some pieces with the legato as it is slower. Wish I had a clear cut answer for you but that’s just my two cents!

Thanks for the comment, Ruth. I've stuck with the fingering suggested by my teacher. It's more comfortable after having practiced it for some time now.
I have finally finished listening to each any every piece submitted. It was a real treat to listen to. There's so much great music here. I also want to thank those who listened and commented on my submissions including Ido, jordannylander, barbaram, Pianist685, bSharp(C)yclist, Ruth CM, and QuasiUnaFantasia, and, of course, Sam for administering the recital.

I wish I could comment insightfully on each piece, but since that is beyond my abilities so I will just comment on these two:

58. barbaram - Sonata Op 49 No 2 1st Movement: Allegro, ma non troppo
59. barbaram - Sonata Op 49 No 2 2nd Movement: Tempo di Menuetto It was great to hear your interpretation as well. I really liked how you held some of the grace notes a bit longer in the first movement. You brought out the singing melody of the main theme in second movement very well. I hope you had as much fun learning this sonata as I did.

37. Morodiene - Sonata Op 2 No 3, 1st movement
38. Morodiene - Sonata Op 2 No 3, 2nd movement
39. Morodiene - Sonata Op 2 No 3, 3rd movement
40. Morodiene - Sonata Op 2 No 3, 4th movement I really hear the attention to detail you put into this performance and I really liked all the articulations. It was a real standout to me.
Just making sure that Sam hasn't forgotten about updating the recital index with the entries from the Beethoven recital. I just hope it isn't too onerous.
Just making sure that Sam hasn't forgotten about updating the recital index with the entries from the Beethoven recital. I just hope it isn't too onerous.

Kevin, I'm in the process of changing the index to something easier to update. But unfortunately not as accurate. Anyway, I will update the old one when I take the quarterly recital live Friday.

Sam
Thanks so much Sam.
I hope people are still reading comments on this thread! I was not feeling well and did not get around to all the pieces as I had intended, but I wanted to take a moment to listen to the following submissions. Thank you for your comments on my piece, it is always motivating to interact with this community:

41. Jordan Nylander - Moonlight Sonata movement 1 You brought a very relaxing mood and feel to this beloved piece

46. QuasiUnaFantasia - Allegretto, WoO 53 Some great work and phrasing on this charming piece. Keep it up!

48. KevinM - Bagatelle 119.4 I’ve never heard this piece before but you brought out the charm and character in it very well. Great phrasing and ending.

49. KevinM - Moonlight Sonata 2nd Movement. Opus 27 no 2. This was so nicely done. You have a beautiful delicate touch and attention to detail.

58. barbaram - Sonata Op 49 No 2 1st/2nd Movement: Allegro, ma non troppo A fast and challenging piece! You captured the liveliness of the mood very well

63. Jordan Nylander - Sonata No. 5 in C minor I. Allegro molto e con brio Good work on this challenging and moody (both up and down!) piece

67. Pianist685 (Constantin) - Adagio (2nd Mvt) from Sonata Pathetique, op 13 I really enjoyed your take on this piece as well and the phrasing/styling in it. The voicing was very nicely done!
Thank you for all comments on my entry; I appreciate this.

I hope people are still reading comments on this thread! I was not feeling well and did not get around to all the pieces as I had intended, but I wanted to take a moment to listen to the following submissions. Thank you for your comments on my piece, it is always motivating to interact with this community:

I'm sure as long as comments are written, they will be read. I'm glad you are feeling better! smile Illness, or indisposition can get the better of us all, and in such times our focus and energy should be spent on getting well.
I finally listened to all the pieces.

Congratulations to all performers. It's hard to single out pieces or performers. So I'll just say. We did a good job.
Originally Posted by bSharp(C)yclist
16. patH (Patrick Hollstein) - Sonata #17 D Minor op.31/2 "Tempest", 1st movement

17. patH (Patrick Hollstein) - Sonata #17 D Minor op.31/2 "Tempest", 2nd movement

18. patH (Patrick Hollstein) - Sonata #17 D Minor op.31/2 "Tempest", 3rd movement

42. patH (Patrick Hollstein) - Bagatelle in C Major op.33/5

54. patH (Patrick Hollstein) - Sonata #5 C Minor op.10/1, 3rd movement

55. patH (Patrick Hollstein) - Bagatelle in A Flat Major op.33/7

I enjoyed watching your performances as well, Patrick, all 30 minutes laugh The near 50 years experience you have is evident. It's hard to pick a favorite from above, they were all fantastic!
Thank you smile

When I submitted the pieces I was too lazy to write comments about my performances, or the pieces. So now I'll mention that while these pieces were all by Beethoven and all played by me at around the same time, there's a huge difference between my experience level on them.

Bagatelle op.33/5: Learned it for the first time when I was a teenager; I think I was 14 or 15 years old. And after that, I didn't touch it until last year.
Sonata op.31/2: Learned it when I was a teenager (16 or 17 years old) and kept it in my repertoire since then.
Bagatelle op. 33/7: Learned it only this year. Had heard it about 15 years ago but not since then. Beethoven sort of anticipates Minimal Music with that one in my opinion.
Sonata op.10/1, 3.Movement: Learned it 7 years ago, kept it in my repertoire. But I find that pieces I learned as an adult are harder for me to keep in my repertoire than pieces I learned as a teenager.
© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums