Piano World Home Page
Posted By: fuzzy8balls Beethoven Sonata Op. 57 "Appasionata" - 09/12/10 02:34 AM
Howdy, haven't posted in a while so I thought I'd share:

1st movement http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b519khGGVHo

2nd & 3rd movement http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dU4BducBxT4

-fuz
Posted By: Kuanpiano Re: Beethoven Sonata Op. 57 "Appasionata" - 09/12/10 04:04 AM
Okay I'll first up say that you are INCREDIBLE (though I've only listened to the third movement, though judging by how good you are, I'm sure the other two movements are great).

I just had a few small suggestions...

The section with the left hand descending scales with the right hand chords (towards the end of the exposition and recap), the sfz is located on the chord before the downbeat, whereas you tend to play the accent on the second chord (the downbeat).

The section following that with the octave C pedal points in the base and right hand (towards the end of the development): I don't really think it's appropriate to rubato the upwards arpeggios, because that really destroys the forward momentum you just generated in the section before. I prefer to just blaze into those appeggios, then play the last note staccato (I know you hold the pedal through). I just like how the next, huge sfz chord and appeggios slam in and shatter the silence generated by cutting the pedal. Then the slower, softer arpeggios in dim7 can slowly lead towards the recap.

Pedalling: I'm really surprised how you play with so little pedal!! Possibly the acoustics...just generally I prefer more pedal (like when the theme is in B flat minor in the development).

Overall: I just wish there was more forward momentum and a complete single-mindedness to that movement. I feel that the last movement shouldn't try to say everything like possibly the first movement or maybe the Liszt Sonata. It should be fierce, aggressive, passionate, flying music with an incredible rhythmic drive.

Incredible performance though!! I will get mine up whenever it gets ready (I'm currently working on that movement, though I have yet to start real work on the other two movements...)
fuz:

I'm curious whether you would consider the Appasionata the most "intense" piece you've ever played?

Bravo!
in terms of length I think the appassionata is but probably Islamey is more intense for notes per measure
Originally Posted by fuzzy8balls
in terms of length I think the appassionata is but probably Islamey is more intense for notes per measure
I was talking about emotional intensity.
Yes, and especially the last movement. It sounds purely tragic heroic Beethoven desperately trying to hang on to something he has lost. Other times I think of it as a battle between good and evil -- with evil winning at the end.. muhwaha.

Why are you so AWESOME?
If by AWESOME you mean somewhat passable, then yes =P I am *bow*
Posted By: jlynne Re: Beethoven Sonata Op. 57 "Appasionata" - 09/15/10 09:17 AM
That was stunning, er, "somewhat passable".

Thank you.
This is very good, the only comments I'd make are to be a bit more bold when making contrasts (f-p etc), the way you do them sometimes are very predictable, you need to take more risks, it's too careful (which I guess is why it's so clean!). Also I think it's missing the struggle a little bit. We need to hear that caged being scream and want out (or whatever). Consider the 2nd mvt slower, experiment. I like your sound and the fact that you've thought out what to do with the repeats! It's sounding very impressive, good job =)
thanks Angelina...

Well it's not _THAT_ clean, and you're right it could be more contrasting in some places. Especially the 3rd movement with all those parallel scales going in every direction.

I think I was pretty tired since the 2nd and 3rd movement was a 2nd take that day of the recording (before I played Petrushka like 20 times). Hehe ok not an excuse but I think I happy with it for now.
Posted By: stores Re: Beethoven Sonata Op. 57 "Appasionata" - 09/30/10 09:47 PM
Not bad, fuzzy. Not bad at all! Very nice work, so far.
Posted By: Lingyis Re: Beethoven Sonata Op. 57 "Appasionata" - 10/03/10 03:54 PM
wow that was really really good
Posted By: Piano*Dad Re: Beethoven Sonata Op. 57 "Appasionata" - 10/04/10 02:21 AM
Nice work.
Posted By: Bogotano Re: Beethoven Sonata Op. 57 "Appasionata" - 11/26/10 06:26 AM
awsome job! I hope to be able to play this eventually!
Ridiculously good. Congratulations are in order! =D
oh cool thanks ya'll, I think I may play this one for the Paris concours de piano amateur in April 2011
© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums