Piano World Home Page
Posted By: PianoYos The Lone Path (original composition) - 05/03/19 09:30 AM
I wrote this for a friend who was going through some dark times. It was my first attempt at composing, going for a minimalist/classical crossover-type feel.

Posted By: jeffscot Re: The Lone Path (original composition) - 05/05/19 03:07 PM

Very nice, PianoYos!

Hope it helped your friend.
Posted By: PianoYos Re: The Lone Path (original composition) - 05/07/19 12:37 PM
Thank you!!!

My friend did like it smile
Posted By: PianoYos Re: The Lone Path (original composition) - 07/05/19 09:07 AM
I notated this piece for the first time, it's been in my head ever since the original melody came to me almost 5 years ago. It's my first time ever notating something, and I really don't have a clue about how to do it properly - I just tried to copy what I've seen in various composers' sheet music. Would appreciate any pointers.

I like the piece. Well done. There are places in the notation where things could be improved. For example, look at measures 38 and 39 on the treble clef. It's confusing to have the stems all pointing into the staff which clutters things up. Also, in the beginning of measure 38 the B flat and E flat are played at the same time but the notation sort of shows one happening before the other.

I would recommend that you download Rimsky-Korsakov's Principles of Orchestration particularly chapter 3 on harmony. It primarily focuses on orchestration but you can learn a lot about notation from it.
Gardner Read wrote an excellent book Music Notation that every composer should have.
Posted By: PianoYos Re: The Lone Path (original composition) - 07/14/19 02:35 PM
Thank you for your encouragements and suggestions; I've made some changes to the stem directions in the two-voice sections, I think that was the biggest issue with my first draft. I'll try and get the Rimsky-Korsakov and the Gardner Read; the former is one that I've been particularly eager to read!
© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums