Piano World Home Page

Fantasy for Katherine - by Mickey Donati

Posted By: donatipiano

Fantasy for Katherine - by Mickey Donati - 02/09/19 03:42 AM

Hey! I wrote this Fantasia for a friend of mine. I was just curious what you all thought of it

Peace,
Mickey

https://m.soundcloud.com/theallpurposepiano/fantasy
Posted By: Ted

Re: Fantasy for Katherine - by Mickey Donati - 02/10/19 10:21 AM

I like it very much, fond as I am of cellular form and improvisational effect. The continuous stream of brief ideas stirs anticipation of what is coming next. The process can go on as long as desired, and I could certainly have taken a lot more of it. Where can more examples of your music be found ?

Re: Fantasy for Katherine - by Mickey Donati - 02/11/19 09:08 PM

Thanks a lot, that's really affirming. It's the end of a larger work, but I have refrained from posting it in its entire form since the internet doesn't respond warmly to 8-10 minute long pieces. I would love to record it in full for you if you would like.

All of my original stuff and arrangements can be found:

https://m.soundcloud.com/theallpurposepiano

It's a mix of me improving, formally writing, a little jazz.

I studied piano performance at a fairly well known music school in the states, got almost a full scholarship, but unfortunately I was hospitalized twice for manic depression during my study. That was ten years ago, I am 31 now and I am proud to say that after ten years, I have full control over my symptoms, and I am considering going back to study composition instead. Still unsure though. I haven't had formal training in ten years, never studied composition either, just self taught.
Posted By: Steve Chandler

Re: Fantasy for Katherine - by Mickey Donati - 02/11/19 09:49 PM

Fun piece! The first part sounded a bit like Debussy, then you got jazzy. I couldn't really tell if you reused any of your early ideas later in the piece, but being a classical guy I'd like to have heard that. Still I'll give you credit for strong ideas and execution. I know what you mean about long pieces on the internet, people like their music in 3-4 minute chunks. Still, your piece was an enjoyable three and a half minutes. Thank you for posting.

Re: Fantasy for Katherine - by Mickey Donati - 02/16/19 08:24 PM

Thanks a lot Steve! Yes, I do reuse some material for a very brief time within this piece, but this is the last movement to a small sonata I wrote. Maybe if I get around to recording the whole thing as one track, I will share it all with you.

Peace,
Mickey
Posted By: NobleHouse

Re: Fantasy for Katherine - by Mickey Donati - 02/18/19 12:45 PM

Katherine should be really pleased!

Re: Fantasy for Katherine - by Mickey Donati - 02/18/19 08:22 PM

Haha thanks. She was a good friend, also a pastor at a former church I played for about a year ago.

And I see you are from Missouri? I improv-ed this while I was visiting the Ozarks. Haven't met a lot of people that have been there. I was in the Techumseh area on the border with Arkansas. It was really great. I took a boat out on the river. There were TONS of armadillos, and it was the first time I saw one. I had one run into my legs in the middle of the night. Also, you all have tons of seed ticks, got a few, but it was totally worth the visit! The cliffs near the river are beautiful!

https://m.soundcloud.com/theallpurposepiano/over-the-ozarks
Posted By: Ted

Re: Fantasy for Katherine - by Mickey Donati - 02/19/19 03:11 AM

Originally Posted by donatipiano
Haha thanks. She was a good friend, also a pastor at a former church I played for about a year ago.

And I see you are from Missouri? I improv-ed this while I was visiting the Ozarks. Haven't met a lot of people that have been there. I was in the Techumseh area on the border with Arkansas. It was really great. I took a boat out on the river. There were TONS of armadillos, and it was the first time I saw one. I had one run into my legs in the middle of the night. Also, you all have tons of seed ticks, got a few, but it was totally worth the visit! The cliffs near the river are beautiful!

Very good. What is it about the Ozarks ? With David they appear to be a lifetime infatuation.

David Thomas Roberts
Posted By: NobleHouse

Re: Fantasy for Katherine - by Mickey Donati - 02/19/19 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by Ted

Very good. What is it about the Ozarks ? With David they appear to be a lifetime infatuation.

David Thomas Roberts

Originally Posted by Ted

David Thomas Roberts

The Ozarks really are gorgeous! Come visit thumb
Posted By: Charu

Re: Fantasy for Katherine - by Mickey Donati - 02/19/19 07:34 PM

I really like it! It has a quirky, playful quality that I find charming. It did start very much like Debussy (Pour le Piano/chordal work in the left hand) but also reminded me of Scarlatti and baroque ornamentation. I found your improv bits fun because I am a jazz pianist/composer. Thanks for sharing!

Charu Suri
www.CharuSuri.com
Follow me on Spotify/Facebook

Re: Fantasy for Katherine - by Mickey Donati - 02/23/19 03:09 AM

Thanks a lot for the feedback! It's always nice to hear I have a jazzy feel to my music smile
© 2019 Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums