Piano World Home Page
Posted By: Robert Cunningham Romance for Clarinet and Piano - 08/26/18 09:06 PM
Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yx-JgSMykto
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/lateromantic...-robert-cunningham-kristi-hanno-clarinet

The Romance for Clarinet and Piano (1983) was one of my earliest compositions - in fact, it was my first serious composing venture beyond the realm of piano solo. The piece was melodious, Romantic, and much simpler than most of my later music. I revived it a little over a year ago and created a new edition, revising some passages. Somewhat to my surprise, this work that I had thought of as naive and not quite mature was very positively received by audiences, and earlier this year I had the opportunity to make this recording with Kristi Hanno, a clarinetist of international reputation. The piece is basically in sonata-allegro form, but with the secondary theme set in the subdominant rather than the dominant. In the coda, which I think is the most effective part of the work, the primary and secondary themes are woven together in counterpoint, and at the very end I take advantage of the clarinet's beautiful chalumeau register.
Posted By: NobleHouse Re: Romance for Clarinet and Piano - 08/30/18 11:45 AM
Very interesting composition.
Very nice! I like your clarinet work. You are a skillfull writer. Thanks for sharing it.

Best,

Larry G. Alexander
Posted By: Robert Cunningham Re: Romance for Clarinet and Piano - 08/31/18 02:09 PM
Thank you, Larry!
Posted By: kjelleman Re: Romance for Clarinet and Piano - 09/05/18 05:42 PM
What a beautiful solid classical composition. And your performance is excellent. Must feel wonderful to perform this your own work.
Congrats to both of you.

Kjell
Posted By: Robert Cunningham Re: Romance for Clarinet and Piano - 09/07/18 09:06 PM
Originally Posted by kjelleman
What a beautiful solid classical composition. And your performance is excellent. Must feel wonderful to perform this your own work.
Congrats to both of you.

Kjell

Thanks, kjelleman! Although I think I'm a pretty capable pianist, Kristi (the clarinetist) is such a fine performer that I found myself being challenged to rise to a higher level, thinking about long lines, etc.
© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums