Piano World Home Page
Posted By: roma_10 Elusion - 04/08/16 10:02 PM
Hey all,

This is my latest track and last in the "Emerald" series. The objective was to tie together bits of all the prior tracks in both subtle and not so subtle ways.. As always comments and critiques are much appreciated!

Elusion

-Robert
Posted By: Phil-60 Re: Elusion - 04/09/16 09:42 AM
Hi Robert -I am now following you on SoundCloud - I enjoyed this piece very much. I couldn't help thinking though, that it could be by Phillip Glass - It is good enough to be featured as a TV or film soundtrack -

I wrote a Glass like piece a while back -and called it Under A Glass Roof -because, I was saying I couldn't escape the orbit of his influence.

I am also learning to paint -and I borrow or buy books, which are in a certain style - but weirdly, the better I get at imitating someone else's style, the less happy I am - Style in art is an interesting subject -everyone is influenced - and so much music and art has been produced, it is really difficult to find a unique style - I suppose, you have to write or paint in a way which just makes you happy and allows you to say what you wish to say -it doesn't have to be more complicated than that - Look forward to hearing more from you.
Posted By: roma_10 Re: Elusion - 04/09/16 06:58 PM
Thank you Phil. Being compared with Glass is definitely flattering. He, and the minimalist/post-minimalist movement in general, has certainly influenced me though I'm not quite convinced I cross any stylistic lines there. Of course, your outside perspective may well be far more aware than my own. My style has evolved considerably in the past few months alone, and continues to, but if you think there's something specific I'm doing that's just "too Glass" I'd really like to know so I can consciously avoid it in the future! Thanks again.
Posted By: Phil-60 Re: Elusion - 04/10/16 06:02 PM
Originally Posted by roma_10
Thank you Phil. Being compared with Glass is definitely flattering. He, and the minimalist/post-minimalist movement in general, has certainly influenced me though I'm not quite convinced I cross any stylistic lines there. Of course, your outside perspective may well be far more aware than my own. My style has evolved considerably in the past few months alone, and continues to, but if you think there's something specific I'm doing that's just "too Glass" I'd really like to know so I can consciously avoid it in the future! Thanks again.

As soon as you use an oscillating figure in the bass - it is nailed on Glass style -This doesn't mean you can't use it -but it does mean it will be read as such -
© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums