Piano World Home Page

I have written 26 variations based on a melody that is not public domain. I realize that the copyright of the melody remains with the creator of the original tune and that I need permission to distribute my work.

I realize that in this situation the best course is to get permission before starting on this type of project, but I didn't realize at the start that I was writing a set of variations.

What do I need to ask the creator of the original?

er.. if you can use his melody as the basis of a set of variations. What else?

If your piece is no competition to his version, I expect he'll be amused, maybe flattered, and say yes. Except if it was Irving Berlin, who would have given a knee-jerk "No". As will Disney currently, unless you throw money at them.

Are you in any danger of publishing and selling this work?
Thanks for the reply exalted one smile

I doubt it has any commercial value. I'm a amateur with little or no background in composition. Most of them are poor imitations of various classical styles.

The reason I ask is that I showed them to my piano teacher when I started piano lessons again after many years. She said I should ask for copyright. This left me a bit confused, suggesting that there might be standard wording for this type of request. If so, I hoped someone on this forum would supply the standard stock phrase.

If I simply need to ask nicely for permission, I will do that.
If it's not going to be published or broadcast, don't fuss!

What tune was it? May we hear your work?

I would prefer to delay until I have contacted the original creator. It feels more polite that way. After that I will be happy to share it.

Originally Posted by Exalted Wombat
Are you in any danger of publishing and selling this work?
LOL!

Well.. it IS kinda dangerous to get your works published and earn some money. You never know when you'll end up in the bottom of the lake with your feet cemented! grin

look, the honest truth is what Exalted Wombat said: There's little reason to be worried if you're not going to do much with it, other than showing it to a few people (even online). Nobody would ever care and even if the original creator would like to sue you, they would do so for loss of revenue which is none in this case.

Still it's quite nice of you that you want to ask and I would urge you to do so: There's nothing to lose and so much to gain by talking to a composer, so don't worry... just go for it! smile And then share your work here.
I received a response from the artist a few weeks back. I didn't hear anything regarding the email I sent in December, so in April I sent a CD and and score by mail. Unfortunately, he didn't like it. Permission was not granted, and I was told he didn't wish any further sharing or recording of the variations.

The work wasn't a total waste. I did learn a lot writing them. Next time I'll find something in the public domain.
© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums