Piano World Home Page
Guys,

I hope you don't mind me sharing some music that isn't mine (but I'm publishing it). I doubt it could be taken as spam in any case, but if so, let me know and I'll gladly stop doing that!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FlkUvZcfG8

This is a fabulous string quartet simply titled 'Bagatelle', by British composer Barnaby Hollington. I'd met Barney years ago in London and always thought very highly of his music. When I launched EMF, he was amongst the first to contact about publishing his works, and I was extremely happy to learn that he'd be willing to publish his scores through EMF.

Most of his works are quite big (more than 100 pages and for full orchestral forces), but this is an exception! This small-ish string quartet work won a place amongst the first in the University of Aberdeen Music Prize in 2007. When I first heard it, I immediately thought that this is a gem and one that could be regularly performed around the world. So I sat down, worked with Barney on his scores (he's great to work with) and the final result, you can see in the youtube video, and listen through the performance of members of the BBC Scottish Orchestra...

Personally, I find that this is not an ugly sounding work AT ALL. There are places that you find yourself wondering what's going on, but these seem to be 'tricks' from a composer who's a violonist! wink The rest is very well crafted, homophonic, and melody driven work. Some parts even go after more jazz idioms, like a walking bass in the cello.

It was, I believe, the first or the second video I added on youtube, since I'm (still) very excited for this work!

Anyhow...

Enjoy.

Nikolas

PS. For a few who have been in other forums and've seen this, they may also recall my claims that I'd drag Barney to speak for this work. Unfortunately Barney is extremely busy at the moment (and probably doesn't enjoy forums as much as I do) and so he's been unable to comment publicly on this work.
Thanks for posting, Nikolas - definitely a very interesting piece.

My sister-in-law is a violinist for the Concertgebauw - I'll be sure to put her on to it.
Brilliant Ben,

Thanks!

(Your score has yet to arrive, so once I finish with my online lessons, I'll contact the post office. This is getting ridiculous! :@)
© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums