Piano World Home Page

May I ask?

Posted By: BJones

May I ask? - 02/26/08 03:12 PM

Since we know who I study with (I will not mention the name again), does that automatically disqualify me from participating in any discussions on music. Will I be ridiculed because it's assumed that I'm not qualified to post about music? Just asking in advance.
Posted By: Phlebas

Re: May I ask? - 02/26/08 03:13 PM

Give it a rest.
Posted By: Monica K.

Re: May I ask? - 02/26/08 03:18 PM

I don't think you'll be ridiculed, Bjones, and you are just as qualified if not more so than anybody else on the forum. I'd just advise you to avoid controversial topics. Stick to the music and leave personalities out of it, and you'll be fine.

Welcome to the forum, by the way. smile
Posted By: Phlebas

Re: May I ask? - 02/26/08 03:21 PM

You started out here basically acting like a twit. If you keep acting pompous, putting people down, and just being argumentative you'll continue to be ridiculed and ignored.

It's up to you.
No one cares who your teacher is.

Re: May I ask? - 02/26/08 03:25 PM

Originally posted by Phlebas:
You started out here basically acting like a twit. If you keep acting pompous, putting people down, and just being argumentative you'll continue to be ridiculed and ignored.

It's up to you.
No one cares who your teacher is.
I didn't see it that way. When I see someone on the ground being beaten up by a mob, I don't walk away whistling. Especially if I know the person being jack-booted and he doesn't deserve the beating.
Posted By: BB Player

Re: May I ask? - 02/26/08 03:27 PM

As was said earlier. Give it a rest.

Re: May I ask? - 02/26/08 03:34 PM

Originally posted by BB Player:
As was said earlier. Give it a rest.
OK, I won't post again. You should have new registration for new members closed if you don't encourage membership. This is the only forum I've ever seen where the members discourage new members and bid them to get lost. I'm glad I asked and got an honest answer.
Posted By: Brendan

Re: May I ask? - 02/26/08 03:48 PM

Originally posted by BJones:
Since we know who I study with (I will not mention the name again), does that automatically disqualify me from participating in any discussions on music.
No.

Will I be ridiculed because it's assumed that I'm not qualified to post about music? Just asking in advance.
No.
Posted By: LaValse

Re: May I ask? - 02/26/08 03:56 PM

Hi BJones,

It's just a thought, but: how about putting aside the issues that brought you here and simply post about music - then make your own mind up about everybody over time...
Posted By: BB Player

Re: May I ask? - 02/26/08 04:11 PM

Originally posted by BB Player:
[b] As was said earlier. Give it a rest.
OK, I won't post again. You should have new registration for new members closed if you don't encourage membership. This is the only forum I've ever seen where the members discourage new members and bid them to get lost. I'm glad I asked and got an honest answer. [/b]
We do in fact encourage new members and discussion about pianos, playing the piano and piano music. Of all of the posts you've made, not a single one has related to any of those topics.

This:

I didn't see it that way. When I see someone on the ground being beaten up by a mob, I don't walk away whistling. Especially if I know the person being jack-booted and he doesn't deserve the beating.
is what I was referring to when I said give it a rest.
Posted By: dk21208

Re: May I ask? - 02/26/08 04:14 PM

http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?/topic/32/5653.html

Here is a thread that might be a good ice breaker for you. Give it a shot and share your thoughts.

Don't run off just yet. If you avoid your bias that the forum is against you because you study under Disciple, you will find that the smoke will clear and you might emerge and realize this to be a place that you enjoy hanging around.
Posted By: J. Mark

Re: May I ask? - 02/26/08 08:40 PM

OK, I won't post again.
$20 says he won't honor that promise.
Posted By: bukopaudan

Re: May I ask? - 02/26/08 08:56 PM

All of this simply because you study under Disciple? I haven't even met Disciple and from what I've heard from other members, he's greatly loved as brutally honest as he is. What was said in that other thread was said under stress and during the heat of an argument. Your teacher's actions do not reflect who you are nor do your teacher's comments reflect who you are. THESE comments, written here by you, this thread written here by you, these reflect what you are.

On the forums, each person is their own--it doesn't matter about who you study with, what you do, where you're from--what matters is what you contribute to the forums. In other words, what musical knowledge you share and learn. From these posts, I don't think that you're contributing much musical knowledge at all and I'm sure that you're knowledge is both great and valuable and that it is worth being shared.

I wish you would share your thoughts on music and not on this frippery. I know it's your teacher and that he plays a definite role in your life--I respect that and furthermore, I respect your teacher. I've seen him play and I admire his talent and skill and deftness with the keys; it's like the piano is a part of him, but I'm sure you don't want to cause trouble. Posting this thread is simply egging on others to be angry; I think you should give it another chance because we all could benefit from your musical knowledge and what you can share just as you will benefit from what we can all give to you.
Posted By: Late Beginner

Re: May I ask? - 02/26/08 09:33 PM

Originally posted by J. Mark:
[b] OK, I won't post again.
$20 says he won't honor that promise. [/b]
wink

What odds are you offering on "BJones" being the latest username of the same guy - Disciple, Virtuosic1, etc. ? Just a wild guess, but I might risk a couple of bucks if the price is right...
Posted By: rintincop

Re: May I ask? - 02/27/08 05:57 AM

Another member is driven off by the intolerance of the self righteous gang that seems to dominate this forum?

Re: May I ask? - 02/27/08 01:27 PM

Originally posted by rintincop:
Another member is driven off by the intolerance and snobbishness of the self righteous gang that rules this "Forum." Farewell to you BJones.
No. I'm here. They can make all the bets they want. They can even bet on this if they want (gesturing lower down on his body with both thumbs). I figured out quickly exactly who to put on ignore (with some sage advice PMs from some experienced forum members). wink
Posted By: btcomm

Re: May I ask? - 02/27/08 03:34 PM

ZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.
Posted By: rintincop

Re: May I ask? - 02/27/08 07:24 PM

What that necessary, btcomm? Why don't you ignore us instead of making snide comments, thanks.
Posted By: J. Mark

Re: May I ask? - 02/27/08 08:08 PM

Originally posted by rintincop:
What that necessary, btcomm? Why don't you ignore us instead of making snide comments, thanks.
Why don't you follow your own advice? And why don't you stop calling people "self-righteous" etc, while at the same time displaying exactly those qualities? You are the one who keeps starting and fueling these little battles.
Posted By: theJourney

Re: May I ask? - 02/27/08 08:34 PM

Why don't you follow your own advice? And why don't you stop calling people "self-righteous" etc, while at the same time displaying exactly those qualities? You are the one who keeps starting and fueling these little battles.
Yet another argumentative J. Mark attack post:

Comment without content.
Conflict without contribution.
Caustic but not contrite.

Please spare us the banality. If you don't want to play one of your pianos why not place a bet and start a fight at your local tavern and leave us here to talk piano?
Posted By: LiszThalberg

Re: May I ask? - 02/27/08 10:22 PM

This reminds me of school lunchrooms...... when I was in 3rd grade.

"Hey! You took my sandwich"
"NO I DIDN'T!, I made it this morning"
"Thats the only bread I ever eat though"
Posted By: Glaswegian

Re: May I ask? - 02/27/08 10:55 PM

I agree with you Debussy. I've already hidden my dinner money in my .......

Re: May I ask? - 02/27/08 10:56 PM

Originally posted by Debussy20:
This reminds me of school lunchrooms...... when I was in 3rd grade.

http://www.geocities.com/wwindmills/cartoons/cartoon3/asleep.jpg

Re: May I ask? - 02/27/08 11:01 PM

Originally posted by Debussy20:
[b] This reminds me of school lunchrooms...... when I was in 3rd grade.

http://www.geocities.com/wwindmills/cartoons/cartoon3/asleep.jpg [/b]
eek confused shocked confused
Posted By: keyboardklutz

Re: May I ask? - 02/28/08 06:59 AM

[b] OK, I won't post again.
$20 says he won't honor that promise. [/b]
I do believe the correct form is to bet one's car.

As for this:
[Linked Image]
it seems pretty ***** twisted. Anybody get it?
Posted By: keystring

Re: May I ask? - 02/28/08 10:25 AM

I don't remember J Mark betting his car. Vocis Nova made an invitation to discuss music and share knowledge, also pointing out those contributions made by the teacher of the poster which are of value of which some of us benefited. Music is a discipline, and self-restraint, such as the decision not to keep fostering contention y choosing what to post, and what not to post is a conscious one that can be exercised through willpower. Is all this necessary? In what way do these posts benefit members? If they are of no benefit, why "contribute" them?

Does this thread not have a moderator?

Re: May I ask? - 02/28/08 11:52 AM

Keystring, I'm not sure if this thread has a mod. If not, it needs one. I find that picture a little offensive.

Sorry to be such trouble laugh

Matt
© 2019 Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums