Piano World Home Page

I think I invented a chord

Posted By: KenBakerMN

I think I invented a chord - 06/03/19 03:06 PM

With the bass playing the root of F, I played Fdom9 in the left and added EMaj in the right. The voicing was
F(Bass) Eb-G-A-C-B-E-Ab. I was actually just going for a #9 but this is what I hit. It's harsh but it came and went pretty fast, adding a brief moment of tension. Like getting a bite of garlic in your spaghetti sauce. (Worse analogies have been made.)

So would you call that? Maybe F9(#9#11b15)? Or F9+EMaj? Or skip it altogether and go fishing?
Posted By: Nahum

Re: I think I invented a chord - 06/03/19 03:45 PM

I suggest improving your chord in accordance with the logic of overtones: F/Eb GAD- AEG#B
Posted By: PianoWVBob

Re: I think I invented a chord - 06/03/19 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by KenBakerMN
With the bass playing the root of F, I played Fdom9 in the left and added EMaj in the right. The voicing was
F(Bass) Eb-G-A-C-B-E-Ab. I was actually just going for a #9 but this is what I hit. It's harsh but it came and went pretty fast, adding a brief moment of tension. Like getting a bite of garlic in your spaghetti sauce. (Worse analogies have been made.)

So would you call that? Maybe F9(#9#11b15)? Or F9+EMaj? Or skip it altogether and go fishing?

Well...I guess I look at chords simply.

Your notes:

Bass = F

Ok...that's the starting point to be used.

The rest of your notes:
Eb-G-A-C-B-E-Ab

flat 7, 9, 11, 5, flat 13, 7th, sharp 9.

is there any note that you didn't hit on the entire piano? Lol.
Posted By: Kbeaumont

Re: I think I invented a chord - 06/03/19 05:52 PM

According to Jerry Lee Lewis using your foot can create tension. Fishing sounds relaxing.
Posted By: KenBakerMN

Re: I think I invented a chord - 06/03/19 09:49 PM

PianoWVBob, I was thinking the Eb-G-A-C (the A is a 3) forms the basic Fdom9. The Ab is the #9 I was going for (the Jimmy Hendrix chord).

Then the B is a #11 and the E is either a nat7 along with the b7 below, or a b15. I don't know if b15 is a thing. Probably a 7 along with the b7 makes more sense.
Posted By: Nahum

Re: I think I invented a chord - 06/04/19 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by KenBakerMN

Then the B is a #11 and the E is either a nat7 along with the b7 below, or a b15. I don't know if b15 is a thing. .
Yes, it really is XVb, which for some reason isn't in jazz harmony textbooks. In the system of harmonic tensions , diatonic and chromatic, there is their interaction with chord tones: IX (#, b) - I, XI (#) - III, XIII (b) -V. By the same logic, XV b (not VII #) leads to minor VII. Inside the dominant 7, the alteration of one step often pulls the alteration of another (7 / b9 / b13); so in this case: dominant 7 with 15b usually includes 5 # - GBD# F# (Gb). This is dominant chord I first heard from Chick Corea with Miles in 1970.
© 2019 Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums