Piano World Home Page

Playing for Blind Veterans Event

Posted By: Suzanne519

Playing for Blind Veterans Event - 01/31/19 10:48 PM

Hi, I was hoping for some recommendations. I was asked to play at a Blind Veterans event on Valentines Day for about 30 minutes. The gentleman who asked me, asked that I play popular music that they might recognize and the military songs for the 4 branches of the military. I did manage to find a medley for the military songs online, but I am of more of the classical persuasion and really have no idea what to play for the popular music. He told me he would pay for a music book if I needed one, but I'm not sure what to get without ordering a whole slew of music.

If anyone could recommend a few songs, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.
Posted By: rocket88

Re: Playing for Blind Veterans Event - 01/31/19 11:31 PM

Here is a few suggestions:

1. Military Songs, as you have found, but perhaps not a medley, but have them as stand-alone songs. Each branch of the military has their own. You can close the show with the medley.

2. Any patriotic song...America the Beautiful, the American anthem, etc.

3. Christian hymns such as When the Saints go Marching in. Also Amazing Grace is always very popular.

4. As it is Valentine's day, popular love songs from such as from the Great Songbook.

5. Also pop songs from the relative age of the people, Imagine by John Lennon is also very popular, for example.

Hope this helps.

Re: Playing for Blind Veterans Event - 02/01/19 12:14 AM

Also, for 30 minutes, you only need about 10 songs or so.

Re: Playing for Blind Veterans Event - 02/01/19 08:56 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. I went through a couple of my old music boxes and found a couple books that I could probably pull from for love songs and christian hymns, but I might just try to find a new book that has the military songs in it. Thanks.

Re: Playing for Blind Veterans Event - 02/01/19 08:58 PM

Thanks for the recommendation. I will keep that in mind. I will probably time all my music and have a couple extras just in case.

Re: Playing for Blind Veterans Event - 02/01/19 09:39 PM

You are very welcome. Have a great time playing!
Posted By: jotur

Re: Playing for Blind Veterans Event - 02/02/19 03:26 AM

Five branches of the military - army, navy, marine corps, coast guard, air force. I just did these for Veteran's Day at an assisted living home. I did really, really, simple arrangements - no right hand harmonies, mostly oom-pah and runs in the left hand, and finished it off with The Star-Spangled Banner and America the Beautiful, as rocket88 suggested, again in really, really simple arrangements - only block chords in the left hand. They'll probably sing along. It's kind of traditional for people to stand when their march/hymn is played, too, tho they may not. It brought down the house, and I've done it before several years ago. It's a great thing to do.

And rocket88 was right on with Amazing Grace, too, and Imagine. The man speaks sooth.

As for love songs - oh well, I play stuff from 1890 to 1946, so I can't recommend much for younger folks. I plan on playing Let Me Call You Sweetheart, if you have any old farts in the audience.

But your audience will love you, and you'll find it a very rewarding experience.
Posted By: indigo_dave

Re: Playing for Blind Veterans Event - 02/02/19 01:30 PM

I play at an assisted living facility also. I recently learned "Over There" and "Yankee Doodle Dandy" by George M. Cohan. I played them for folks maybe aged 80-95 and they went over well. Your veterans are likely much younger.
© 2019 Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums