Piano World Home Page

Question about Boogie Left Hand Pattern #1.

Posted By: PianoWVBob

Question about Boogie Left Hand Pattern #1. - 01/28/19 10:44 AM

I'm starting on the book "The Joy of Boogie and Blues" and in playing the first boogie pattern in the book a question has come up. I messaged @Rockett88 but he hasn't responded so I thought that I'd post the question publicly.

In the left hand pattern you see that finger-1 and finger-5 are playing the 1st and the 5th of the scale twice and then next the 3-finger plays the flatted 3rd but the next note isn't finger-notated which leads me to believe that the 3-finger slides off and plays this note. I've been doing it this way and it feels fine and works fine however many folks on youtube use the 3-finger followed by they 2-finger for the natural 3rd so I'm wondering if there is something that everyone else knows that I don't. I don't want to get into some bad habit that I'll have to break.

I'm not sure why there was no way to attach an image to this post.

[Linked Image]

Re: Question about Boogie Left Hand Pattern #1. - 01/28/19 10:46 AM

delete, not necessary, I found a way to link a picture
Posted By: Iaroslav Vasiliev

Re: Question about Boogie Left Hand Pattern #1. - 01/28/19 11:12 AM

If the next adjacent note isn't finger-notated it means that it should be played with the next adjacent finger -- 2nd finger in this example. There is no reason to use finger sliding here.
Posted By: Groove On

Re: Question about Boogie Left Hand Pattern #1. - 01/28/19 11:21 AM

Personally I’d play that last note with the 2nd finger, keeps my hand balanced for continuous playing. BUT! I could see myself sliding the 3rd finger if I were moving up the keyboard to another position or if I were playing it as a 2 measure bass line, with the 2nd measure having a different figuration.. So which finger you use could depend on what comes next.

.. and God knows I’ve probably fat-fingered that bass line a few times :-)

... ... one thing to keep in mind - that’s a common blue note in C Major, and a “slide” can give you a different “colour” (minor 3rd to major 3rd). So it might worth it to practice it as a slide to add it to your list of available chops. I’m constantly sliding the minor 3rd and tritone (b5) keys in C Major.

Re: Question about Boogie Left Hand Pattern #1. - 01/28/19 11:22 AM

Thanks guys!
I wouldn't have guessed that that was the way to play it.

I'll go down that path, I'm glad that I didn't spend a month ingraining it the wrong way. smile
Posted By: Dr Bekken

Re: Question about Boogie Left Hand Pattern #1. - 01/28/19 01:54 PM

I play that figure sometimes, and I always let the third finger slide. I see no problem with that. Remember that none of the original boogie woogie players had any kind of classical training, nor did they play from sheet music . A lot of their sound and beat come from what we may call unorthodox techniques. Here's an example of my use of the pattern....sliding third finger and all.

https://open.spotify.com/track/4MKxPpaFuVIP3kJ7ig8vRR?si=oolBmMDNSCSpvp2dgoL3hg
Posted By: Nahum

Re: Question about Boogie Left Hand Pattern #1. - 01/28/19 04:20 PM

As I understand it, this is a preparatory exercise for B W comping in eighths (1). The question of choosing fingering is associated with specific articulation and accentuation (2-3) This is a matter of personal preference.
4- pattern that I found on my own.

[Linked Image]

Re: Question about Boogie Left Hand Pattern #1. - 01/28/19 04:30 PM

Interesting!

thanks for the additional input, it appears that it's not so cut and dried.
Posted By: TheophilusCarter

Re: Question about Boogie Left Hand Pattern #1. - 01/28/19 05:00 PM

I'm looking through some blues piano books I have, and I'm seeing it both ways. I think you could do either, and I bet some pianists prefer one or the other. Learn both! wink

Re: Question about Boogie Left Hand Pattern #1. - 01/28/19 05:04 PM

Thanks for checking. I guess I'll do that!
Posted By: dobro

Re: Question about Boogie Left Hand Pattern #1. - 01/29/19 03:38 AM

I moved the lick to E and had to use the 3-2 fingering. Since i play with guitar players some i pretty much try everything in E. I
Posted By: rocket88

Re: Question about Boogie Left Hand Pattern #1. - 01/29/19 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by PianoWVBob
I'm starting on the book "The Joy of Boogie and Blues" and in playing the first boogie pattern in the book a question has come up. I messaged @Rockett88 but he hasn't responded so I thought that I'd post the question publicly.

Actually I did respond with this PM:

I use both fingering plans.

It is a Classical music training concept to generally NOT slide off a black key to its neighboring white key with the same finger, but I find it a very handy movement, not only with the pattern you describe, but also with slower Blues to create the "Blue" note which technically is a mix/halfway between the flatted 3rd and the 3rd. (Classical training has its reasons for that, so I am not complaining about it).

BTW, the most important thing with Boogie Woogie is a very relaxed finger - hand - arm technique. The notes are not all that complex but the pattern repeats constantly so playing fast and well requires a very relaxed technique.

Best wishes!

Re: Question about Boogie Left Hand Pattern #1. - 01/29/19 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by rocket88

Actually I did respond with this:

I use both fingering plans.

It is a Classical music training concept to generally NOT slide off a black key to its neighboring white key with the same finger, but I find it a very handy movement, not only with the pattern you describe, but also with slower Blues to create the "Blue" note which technically is a mix/halfway between the flatted 3rd and the 3rd. (Classical training has its reasons for that, so I am not complaining about it).

BTW, the most important thing with Boogie Woogie is a very relaxed finger - hand - arm technique. The notes are not all that complex but the pattern repeats constantly so playing fast and well requires a very relaxed technique.

Best wishes!

Yes...and I really appreciated it. I got impatient in the mean time smile
Posted By: Dr Bekken

Re: Question about Boogie Left Hand Pattern #1. - 01/29/19 03:23 PM

Relaxation is everything in this style (as in most other piano playing, perhaps).
Posted By: Qwerty53

Re: Question about Boogie Left Hand Pattern #1. - 01/29/19 04:56 PM

This conversation is interesting! I just started exploring this book a few days ago (it is fun!). I was using 3-2 on the D#-E; it didn’t occur to me to slide. I’ll give it a try, see how it feels.
Posted By: spanishbuddha

Re: Question about Boogie Left Hand Pattern #1. - 02/02/19 05:52 PM

I have this book on a wish list (birthday coming up), but I don’t understand the connection to PW user rocket88. Can you explain?

Re: Question about Boogie Left Hand Pattern #1. - 02/02/19 06:26 PM

Rocket88 is the undisputed master of the style smile
Posted By: rocket88

Re: Question about Boogie Left Hand Pattern #1. - 02/02/19 06:36 PM

Rocket88 is the undisputed master of the style smile

I wish! laugh

Re: Question about Boogie Left Hand Pattern #1. - 04/05/19 04:49 PM

Sorry for the slight necro ...

I just started working on this, and I'm using 3-2 rather than sliding (which I save for grace notes). It just feels more natural and controlled.
Posted By: Groove On

Re: Question about Boogie Left Hand Pattern #1. - 04/05/19 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by TheophilusCarter
... I'm using 3-2 rather than sliding (which I save for grace notes). It just feels more natural and controlled.

It's not wrong or right. There are all kinds of interesting musical sounds you can make depending on which fingers you use and how you use them. Sometimes I clearly articulate the two notes, sometimes slide them, sometimes jam them together etc. depending on what works musically. Even play them in reverse order or play them as a drone just to put some "stank" on it.

Re: Question about Boogie Left Hand Pattern #1. - 04/05/19 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by Groove On
Originally Posted by TheophilusCarter
... I'm using 3-2 rather than sliding (which I save for grace notes). It just feels more natural and controlled.

It's not wrong or right. There are all kinds of interesting musical sounds you can make depending on which fingers you use and how you use them. Sometimes I clearly articulate the two notes, sometimes slide them, sometimes jam them together etc. depending on what works musically. Even play them in reverse order or play them as a drone just to put some "stank" on it.

Yah, thanks, I got all that. I was responding to the OP, in an FYI capacity ...
© 2019 Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums