Piano World Home Page
Posted By: charleslang Why are the pianists in a "corner"? - 08/23/17 08:01 PM
The other forums are called for example "tuner technician forum", but we have a corner. It suggests we're a little marginalized, no?

Imagine if the piano forum were "piano corner". Or if we had "tuner/technician corner".

It seems especially odd to marginalize pianists because pianos are for playing, above all else.

The composers' forum is a "lounge". I'm not sure why they get comfy cyber chairs and technicians don't.
Posted By: prout Re: Why are the pianists in a "corner"? - 08/23/17 08:21 PM
A corner is more intimate, a lounge is too large, a forum is too sterile.
Hi Charles,

This is probably not the right place to post this but I'm new to forums in general and new to this site in particular. I just wanted to drop you a line to let you know that I watched your rendition of Billy Joel's, "She's Always A Woman To Me" and I liked it very much. You have nice technique and you pull off that singer/songwriter "70's/'80's /90's/contemporary piano bar style really well.
Posted By: Eric399 Re: Why are the pianists in a "corner"? - 08/23/17 08:35 PM
Corner/lounge/forum: if this is your only problem, you're a lucky man!
Posted By: charleslang Re: Why are the pianists in a "corner"? - 08/23/17 08:44 PM
Originally Posted by richardgoodman10
Hi Charles,

This is probably not the right place to post this but I'm new to forums in general and new to this site in particular. I just wanted to drop you a line to let you know that I watched your rendition of Billy Joel's, "She's Always A Woman To Me" and I liked it very much. You have nice technique and you pull off that singer/songwriter "70's/'80's /90's/contemporary piano bar style really well.

It's okay by me . . Thanks!
Posted By: charleslang Re: Why are the pianists in a "corner"? - 08/23/17 09:00 PM
Originally Posted by Eric399
Corner/lounge/forum: if this is your only problem, you're a lucky man!

LOL. hahahaha . . It's not my only problem. But maybe if I explain my motivation it will make more sense.

Richard Goodman suggested the idea of a forum for solo cocktail pianists. Initially I thought that just having a long-term thread on that topic might be a better idea, but on reflection I now think there could be enough topics to justify a forum (a sub forum of pianist corner non classical).

Maybe then there would be other sub forums for other kinds of pianist, like for example singer songwriters (who often don't identify as composers and so would not fit in the lounge).

I anticipate some may argue that there is not enough traffic on these topics to justify new forums, but I think that creating space for discussions may generate discussions.

That kind of thinking got me to the question of why it's a pianist "corner". Maybe more pianists would contribute if it were named differently.

I am interested in this as a professional tool because I play cocktail piano.
Posted By: JohnSprung Re: Why are the pianists in a "corner"? - 08/23/17 10:11 PM

There are only two corners, classical and non-classical pianists.... To me, the word evokes boxing..... ;-)
Posted By: erichlof Re: Why are the pianists in a "corner"? - 08/23/17 10:15 PM
We've been put in the corner because we are spending time online instead of practicing. :-D
Posted By: pwl Re: Why are the pianists in a "corner"? - 08/23/17 11:40 PM
Nobody puts Baby in the corner!
Posted By: charleslang Re: Why are the pianists in a "corner"? - 08/23/17 11:58 PM
LOL @ replies!
Posted By: charleslang Re: Why are the pianists in a "corner"? - 08/23/17 11:59 PM
Originally Posted by pwl

I don't get that one, though . . is that a movie or other media reference?
Posted By: WhoDwaldi Re: Why are the pianists in a "corner"? - 08/24/17 12:00 AM
Perhaps we grew up from Debussy's Children's Corner to Pianist(s') Corner? grin

Or, we're kinda square.
Posted By: charleslang Re: Why are the pianists in a "corner"? - 08/24/17 01:14 AM
Perhaps it's a subconscious reference to the area of the keyboard near the 90 degree angle where the keys meet the fallboard, because you have to understand that top half of the keyboard, where black and white are equal, to be a good pianist.

That would furthermore be the pianists' "coroner", because it can be such a challenge to get away from a view of the keyboard that assigns more importance to the white keys.
Posted By: dobro Re: Why are the pianists in a "corner"? - 08/24/17 02:50 AM
I spent my childhood in the corner so I'm happy. A songwriter forum would be great tho.
Posted By: pwl Re: Why are the pianists in a "corner"? - 08/24/17 05:01 AM
Originally Posted by charleslang
Originally Posted by pwl

I don't get that one, though . . is that a movie or other media reference?

Patrick Swayze in the movie Dirty Dancing (1987). I was going to edit when I checked and found that the actual quote is "a" corner, not "the". But it's often misquoted - just add me to the crowd!
Posted By: Groove On Re: Why are the pianists in a "corner"? - 08/24/17 07:01 AM
Why even call it a corner at all? Just call it 'Pianists', since technically we are just projecting imaginary corners and lounges into cyberspace.

P.S. I think a Songwriters section is a good idea and would be interesting.
Posted By: TimR Re: Why are the pianists in a "corner"? - 08/28/17 03:05 PM
I'm pretty sure it's because pianists get cold so easily.

They can always recover in the corner,

because.........................

the corner is 90 degrees!
Posted By: dobro Re: Why are the pianists in a "corner"? - 08/28/17 03:34 PM
I'm not much on regular social media but I "thumbs up" or "like" the corner joke by TimR.
Posted By: pwl Re: Why are the pianists in a "corner"? - 08/29/17 02:42 AM
Originally Posted by TimR
...the corner is 90 degrees!

Bucky Fuller might disagree . . .

But, as with carolinakeys, I like the joke. I mean, I don't just "like" it - I LIKE it!
© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums