Piano World Home Page
Hi!
I am Kinda new to the whole jazz thing. I Know very well that you cannot learn too much jazz piano in one week as learning takes time.
Next week I will attend a one week long jazz course. If anyone of you have been to such a thing before please answer my questions:

1. What exactly did you learn during the course?

2. Was it too much jazz stuff to learn in that short amount of time?

3. Was it more about playing (that which you already know) together with other musicians or was it more about learning new stuff?

4. Was there a lot of time for making new friends? Cause you don't play jazz piano 24/7, right?

I am aware that all jazz courses are different but maybe your answers could help me prepare for my jazz week.
I think you will have a blast. It's great to be able to focus completely on music for a week. It's great to have access to practice room and hardly have anything else to do. The theory and masterclasses will probably be overwhelming but you can get a lot in in a week. Have fun!
I've been to the same jazz camp about six years in a row. My takeaways:
1. The main goal is to have fun. Take time to make friends. You are with people who love what you love
2. The most important part is that you get to play with others. No better learning tool than that.
3. In some respects you're getting inspiration more the knowledge
4. Yes you'll learn a lot and may feel overwhelmed. But realize that if you learn one or two things and really use them later that's enough.
pyjamas
toothbrush
etc...enjoy!
If you want to practice this week, practice 4 note chords up and down the scale (both hands) through the circle of 5ths. If you already know how to do that, you can practice playing voicings in the same manner.
It's been some time since I've been to jazz courses or a camp, and when I did it was for saxophone. But from my memory most focus on improvisation, as that is what many proficient, classically trained musicians are largely unfamiliar with. This can take a few forms, but a lot of it is learning and understanding chord progressions, how to work phrases over them, learning to transcribe and study recordings, then just having fun and playing.

In addition to that I recall pianists, guitarists and bassists often work on chord voicings and rhythm techniques in accompanying (or "comping") the melody (or "head") and solos.
Is there a thread which provides a listing, or a discussion of such jazz courses?
© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums