Piano World Home Page
Posted By: crusadar Why? - 06/08/08 10:34 PM
Yesterday I met a friend who I hadn't seen for sometime and in conversation I mentioned that I had begun to learn to play the piano again after a 50 year break, he asked why I wanted to be able to play a piano, wouldn't it be easier to just buy a CD and sit back and listen to someone else playing? I couldn't really think of an appropriate answer to his question, after all, at my age I'm unlikely to reach a level of competence to play professionally, or even play as an amateur entertainer, I guess my answer should have been that, apart from entertaining myself, learning to play the piano is causing me to use what few brain cells I have left...mental exercise. Can anyone else think of reasons why we shouldn't just put a CD in the Hifi and listen to someone else playing?
Posted By: keystring Re: Why? - 06/08/08 10:39 PM
Why not? That's the answer.
Posted By: sotto voce Re: Why? - 06/08/08 10:53 PM
The question seems as outlandish as asking why someone would cook a meal rather than just go to a restaurant.

Some people are seriously oblivious to experiences that are outside their ken, or even recognizing the difference between apples and oranges.

Steven
Posted By: -Frycek Re: Why? - 06/08/08 10:57 PM
I get a great deal more out a playing a piece myself than I do out of listening to a virtuoso recording of it however lamely I play it. Ask your friend if he'd rather make love or watch a couple of actors do it.
Posted By: Dave123 Re: Why? - 06/08/08 11:05 PM
Originally posted by crusader:
Yesterday I met a friend who I hadn't seen for sometime and in conversation I mentioned that I had begun to learn to play the piano again after a 50 year break, he asked why I wanted to be able to play a piano, wouldn't it be easier to just buy a CD and sit back and listen to someone else playing? I couldn't really think of an appropriate answer to his question, after all, at my age I'm unlikely to reach a level of competence to play professionally, or even play as an amateur entertainer, I guess my answer should have been that, apart from entertaining myself, learning to play the piano is causing me to use what few brain cells I have left...mental exercise. Can anyone else think of reasons why we shouldn't just put a CD in the Hifi and listen to someone else playing?
I am 55 years old, never played any type of instrument before, there are some things in life that I want to experience and test my resolve. As I approach my retirement I want to be active and have a reason for being here. Plus I am enjoying the journey so far.
I guess going off your friends way of thinking, why would anyone go away on holiday when one can look at pictures of the place on the internet, if you get my drift there smile
Posted By: ddh Re: Why? - 06/08/08 11:12 PM
Originally posted by -Frycek:
... Ask your friend if he'd rather make love or watch a couple of actors do it.
Frycek, how can You be so wise at such a young age ?

laugh laugh laugh

Anything I would add would be anticlimactic.

Cheers
Posted By: -Frycek Re: Why? - 06/08/08 11:25 PM
Originally posted by ddh:
[b] ... Ask your friend if he'd rather make love or watch a couple of actors do it.
Frycek, how can You be so wise at such a young age ?

laugh laugh laugh

Anything I would add would be anticlimactic.

Cheers [/b]
Young? Moi? I'm 55.
Posted By: loveschopintoomuch Re: Why? - 06/08/08 11:25 PM
I certainly don't want to be anti-anticlimatic, but there ARE days when I ask myself that very question: "Why?" confused :rolleyes:

Kathleen
Posted By: saerra Re: Why? - 06/08/08 11:38 PM
My answer is: because it's FUN!!! smile

(But I love the "make love" analogy wink !)
Posted By: mom3gram Re: Why? - 06/08/08 11:47 PM
Learning to play piano is fun, it keeps me thinking, it's challenging, and I get a great feeling of accomplishment. It also makes me understand music better, which in turn makes listening to music more fun too.
Posted By: alleon Re: Why? - 06/09/08 12:02 AM
Originally posted by saerra:
My answer is: because it's FUN!!! smile

(But I love the "make love" analogy wink !)
this basically sums it all up.

its a HOBBY

if piano is FUN for you, then DO IT.

laugh
Posted By: agraffe Re: Why? - 06/09/08 01:17 AM
Hi crusader,

This is why I play:

As you know, playing piano is hard work. This is undeniable. But it is also a form of self-expression and, therefore, growth. Piano is a creative outlet in a world that does not value its inhabitants' creativity nearly enough. So I jump at the chance to participate. Perhaps your friend would like to play a musical instrument, too.

In his _Principles of Piano Practice_, Professor Chuan C. Chang encourages us amateur enthusiasts to think of ourselves--already--as artists. Who wouldn't want that opportunity?

:t:
Posted By: ddh Re: Why? - 06/09/08 01:20 AM
Moi? I'm 55.
That's just a bit more than half the age of that lady still playing the piano at 101, so yes, it is young. :p
Posted By: ddh Re: Why? - 06/09/08 01:31 AM
Originally posted by loveschopintoomuch:
I certainly don't want to be anti-anticlimatic, but there ARE days when I ask myself that very question: "Why?" confused :rolleyes:

Kathleen
Because You love Chopin too much wink
Posted By: Key Notes Re: Why? - 06/09/08 03:55 AM
Originally posted by mom3gram:
Learning to play piano is fun, it keeps me thinking, it's challenging, and I get a great feeling of accomplishment. It also makes me understand music better, which in turn makes listening to music more fun too.
Cannot say it any better myself. thumb Same here.
Posted By: AnthonyB Re: Why? - 06/09/08 04:56 AM
I guess I was looking for a bit of hobby of sorts. I can't say that it was really piano music itself that led me to the choice. A little bit of it was my nephew (who is now nearing 3yo this August). He likes music and likes to sing stuff as well.

I guess my other hobbies used to be playing computer games and playing around with programming languages. I'm not doing too much of either at the moment. About the only games I've touched recently would be SimCity 4 and nethack.

Overall, I was just looking for a hobby to get away from the computer for a bit. These Minnesota winters are long and pretty cold so having something to keep occupied during those times is important as well.

The choice of piano over other stuff came down to the fact that I have no artistic talent (like painting or drawing) and liked the fact that I could play quietly with a digital piano. So that seemed like the best instrument choice for the time being.

Well, I suppose that's as close as I'm going to get to an answer without rambling on even more than I already have. laugh
Posted By: keyboardklutz Re: Why? - 06/09/08 05:24 AM
It's a sensual thing.
Posted By: lizzy's dad Re: Why? - 06/09/08 05:41 AM
For me, it's the opportunity to create music. I'm not interested in entertaining, or even attaining some standard level of ability. I just want to learn how to play for myself.

Besides, at 54, it's too late for me to qualify for the VanCliburn or the Chopin Competitions...

smile

l's dad
Posted By: crusadar Re: Why? - 06/09/08 06:12 AM
Thanks Folks for your input, next time I meet my old friend I will have some answers....although it had been 15 years since I'd last met him. I guess the "Why?" has been asked of one who climbs mountains too, another of my passions, the answer has always been.."because it's there".
Posted By: crusadar Re: Why? - 06/09/08 06:19 AM
originally posted by mom3gram:

I think that is the answer which I find accurately applies to my reasons for learning to play the piano too.
Posted By: Rosanna Re: Why? - 06/09/08 06:24 PM
Crusader,
You can ask your friend why he wants to "just" listen to the CD, instead of making music himself!
Posted By: RatMan Re: Why? - 06/09/08 06:37 PM
Because I CAN! Music's been in my heart all my life. Now I get a chance to MAKE it! I thank God every day for the gift of music.
Posted By: Always Wanted to Play Piano Re: Why? - 06/09/08 08:01 PM
For him to ask this question suggests he wouldn't understand the answer, regardless of what it might be. For some people, music is a spectator sport, rather than something one DOES.
Posted By: Mark... Re: Why? - 06/09/08 08:02 PM
When done right, it touches your soul...
Posted By: njmeisje Re: Why? - 06/09/08 08:56 PM
On a conscious level playing the piano is an active lesson everyday of....."anything work having is worth working for."

On a subconscious level, it brings me a peace that can only come from within.
Posted By: Kawai, HI Re: Why? - 06/09/08 08:58 PM
Why? Have you ever watched Lang Lang play? I know most can't watch him but love his music. It should touch your soul and for some, all pride falls away and they become the music.
Posted By: Bob Newbie Re: Why? - 06/09/08 08:59 PM
Funny no one says that about golf..the minute someone sets out to play an instrument..they think your going to be a pro..
Posted By: Granny6 Re: Why? - 06/10/08 12:24 AM
When you have practised and mastered a piece it's Your Creation. Maybe not perfect but it's your own
What do you create by putting on a CD?
Posted By: mr_super-hunky Re: Why? - 06/10/08 05:40 AM
Why?, because creating your own beautiful music brings you even more enjoyment than a table dance!.

A bit crude I know but not many things can!, lets be honest!. thumb
Posted By: 1silkyferret Re: Why? - 06/13/08 04:53 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Always Wanted to Play Piano:
For him to ask this question suggests he wouldn't understand the answer, regardless of what it might be. For some people, music is a spectator sport, rather than something one DOES. [/

I have a friend who asked me the same thing. Why are you doing this and wasting time isstead of doing other stuff. I have a perfectly good Mercedes Lackey novel here I havent read yet. its been a month since it got here. Keyboard time eats into other time,but its interesting and odd. Just wish my paws did not hurt when doing this. I type 2 fingered for a reason.
Another friend of mine does anything he can to educate folks on his chosen unusual toy/ Spent 7 years kicking in the butt over it;. He finally succeeded but I have no talent for this at all

QUOTE]
Posted By: Bernard Re: Why? - 06/13/08 05:27 AM
Since you asked Crusader I will indulge myself...

As many--including yourself--have touched upon, the joy in is the process: The process of learning and gaining new experience. A wonderful side product of this process is new levels of mastery. When climbers say of Everest, "because it's there" that's what they mean: The joy is in the 'process of doing'. (And the process of doing includes making mistakes, falling, getting up, restarting, progressing.)

With this attitude even competitions can be enjoyable because the most important thing is 'the process' not the outcome. 'The process' can be really scary at times but it is always instructive if we listen and is (contrary to what we may think and feel) a progress. There will always be people better than you and people not at the same level as you, but all those people can enjoy the process. At times you'll be on the top and at times you may find yourself at the bottom. That's just the way the outcome unfolds and it doesn't take away from anyone's experience of 'the process'. A person who ends up last may have learned more than the person who ended up first!

It sounds like you are learning to play piano because you love it. Congratulations.
Posted By: Peyton Re: Why? - 06/13/08 11:38 AM
No offense meant but I would think anyone that has to ask that question probably would just not understand the answer.
Posted By: Oxfords Gal Re: Why? - 06/13/08 12:47 PM
I would have said something like "Why do you go fishing" Wouldn't you just have as much fun going to the fish market and buying fish or watching the fishing channel?

Or whatever hobby he likes. Golf, painting whatever.

I honestly don't know why people don't understand. For the non professional it's a Hobby that produces results and gives us gratification of accomplishing something, not only something but something beautiful that not only is for your enjoyment but for the enjoyment of others.
Posted By: JerryG Re: Why? - 06/13/08 02:27 PM
Get yourself a new friend. This one is mentally challanged.
Posted By: Jamie147 Re: Why? - 06/13/08 02:38 PM
Playing music instead of listening to it means I can play it anytime I like which for me is good because I have a habit of scratching my CD's!
Posted By: Jamie147 Re: Why? - 06/13/08 02:44 PM
Another reason is simply because time flies when you're having fun and I could feel like I've been playing for an hour when in-fact its several.
Posted By: Fitswimmer Re: Why? - 06/13/08 03:00 PM
I agree with those who think that someone who would ask such a question will never "get it", but it's still a worthwhile exercise to remind ourselves "why" once in a while.
I play because I've always wanted to, and was the odd child whose parents didn't make them take piano lessons. I play because I'm getting older every minute and I want to keep my mind sharp and my neurons firing. I play because I work 2 jobs and I'm taking online courses, I need something that's just for my personal pleasure. I play because there is no better feeling than to master something that I previously thought was beyond me.
In essense, I play to find joy-as I believe most of us here do.
Posted By: gmm1 Re: Why? - 06/13/08 03:40 PM
Well, a small view from the other side (not me or my thinking, but I do feel it's a valid question).

There are those who think "virtual" stuff is harmful in excess. Get off you back-sides, turn off the computer, and go spend some time with real people. All that time alone cannot be healthy.

The same can be said of the pursuit of piano playing. Very solitary. And, it will take forever to get any good at it. With all that life has to offer, why would someone elect to pass it by and stay alone? It is a huge expenditure of time and effort.

Those who elect to spend their time on other things cannot bear the thought of losing those things to anything else. So, the devotion of a beginning pianist is too much to "spend" for them.

It is a valid question. One answer, for me anyway, is all of us will find ways to spend our free time. TV, computer games, bar-hopping, photography, motorcycles, cars, sports, driving, going to new places, etc. (All things I do, btw). A portion of my time is also spent on the keyboard. It can relax me. It keeps my brain working. It can make me so happy I cry. It can make me so frustrated I cry. It makes me feel alive, like having a mistress or girlfriend. But, (a big but) it is cheaper than a girlfriend on the side.

So few things give joy. Find one yourself, and go for it.
Posted By: crusadar Re: Why? - 06/13/08 06:30 PM
Posted By: -Frycek Re: Why? - 06/13/08 07:00 PM
Posted By: eromlignod Re: Why? - 06/13/08 07:27 PM
1. It's fun.
2. Chicks dig it.

Don
Kansas City
Posted By: Peyton Re: Why? - 06/13/08 11:17 PM
Originally posted by crusader:
[b]No offense meant but I would think anyone that has to ask that question probably would just not understand the answer.
Assuming that comment is aimed at me, no offence taken, although I'm puzzled why someone should post an inflammatory comment and apologise in advance, although, where I come from rudeness is not considered a virtue. smile [/b]
Crusader, I guess I should have said "no offense to your friend". I had assumed you would know what I meant. Sorry you misunderstood. smile

(Thanks Frycek wink )
Posted By: crusadar Re: Why? - 06/14/08 05:39 AM
Crusader, I guess I should have said "no offense to your friend". I had assumed you would know what I meant. Sorry you misunderstood. [Smile]
Peyton, PLease accept my profound apologies, I have removed the post above.
Posted By: Peyton Re: Why? - 06/14/08 10:58 AM
No problem. Thanks! smile
© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums