Piano World Home Page
Posted By: earlybird "just back" player...advice - 02/12/09 11:34 AM
I was reading the forum on the person trying to self teach. When I stopped playing (20 years ago)...I was starting with Hanon exercises for warm up (15 minutes), then Bach 2 part inventions and onto Beethoven Sonatas. I fractured the metacarpal on the left hand since and do not have the spread between 3 and 4 I used to have...so I feel that exercises were mandatory...but scales as well?

If so, I only remember major/minor scales...any more i should do? What series do you recommend? i grew up with Michael Aaron...when I was a child. Thanks.
Posted By: Prince Charles Re: "just back" player...advice - 02/12/09 01:05 PM
Consider Arpeggios, chords and broken chords as part of your warm up.
Posted By: Monica K. Re: "just back" player...advice - 02/12/09 01:37 PM
I don't have much advice on scales to offer (I don't play them myself whome ), but I did want to say welcome to the forum! smile
Posted By: pianojazz Re: "just back" player...advice - 02/12/09 04:25 PM
Personally, I rarely practice scales but when I do, its the 4-octave chromatic scale. I believe you'll encounter all the scales and arpeggios you'll ever need in the literature itself - whether it Bach, Beethoven or Chopin. I don't know how extensive your LH fracture was, but playing the piano is not a gymnastic or sporting event - you don't need (or want) excessive hand or finger strength - it only takes 2oz of force to depress a key. What you will need is touch sensitivity - the ability to play some notes louder and or longer than others all at the same time. That's what you need to focus on - but this will come through the literature - not exercises.
Posted By: earlybird Re: "just back" player...advice - 02/20/09 04:29 PM
Thanks guys...I just bought a Roland HP-207 and it's the closest to acoustic I could have ever imagined. The saleslady is a teacher with some great advice as well.
© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums